The Drops of Winter

• Change the red one to say "Target troop gets Gladiator 2." (or gladiator 1). The first clause makes it total and complete narrow garbage with zero appeal outside of the block unless gladiator becomes evergreen (pls no dont) (make it give a creature +1A & speed instead or something). Also the blue one is bad (y u no draw a card), but that's an opinion. The red one is objectively insulting.
    • I've always felt that resources are where Hex still needs to find their way to make original designs. This cycle seems like a step into the right direction: a resource that replace itself with an action that synergizes well in some decks. In some cases (the wax, gladiator and maybe blightbark) I'm more than pleased to exchange one charge for that action.

Very original design, and let's see how much of an impact they make to see constructed play!
      Twitter: @Plotynus
    • schild wrote:

Change the red one to say "Target troop gets Gladiator 2." (or gladiator 1). The first clause makes it total and complete narrow garbage with zero appeal outside of the block unless gladiator becomes evergreen (pls no dont) (make it give a creature +1A & speed instead or something). Also the blue one is bad (y u no draw a card), but that's an opinion. The red one is objectively insulting.
      Completely disagree on the common regarding the Sapphire drop, but yeah, it's really awkward that the ruby drop is the ONLY one with an extra condition.
    • I don't really have much of a problem with the blue one. It's just not interesting really. The red one I have an actual problem with. I mean the black one provides a permanent deathcry trigger and a 2/2 to anything and the red one is super duper narrow relating to creatures that are already pretty mediocre (things with gladiator). It just makes no sense.
    • These resources look like they'll be a lot of fun. I think of cards like Scion of Lyvaanth, Arcane Alacrity, Kindler, Psychic Ascension, etc. as great ways to make use of these.

Real pity for me that the sapphire one is mill or I'd use it in every Psychic Ascension PvE deck I build.
      Gamer. Streamer. Photographer. Writer. Anime Lover. Possessor of Stuffed Animals.

Also... I'm terrible at this game.
    • jvluso wrote:

Sad to see them as rare. Rare resources are never fun to be forced to money-draft in a draft, and get annoyingly expensive for constructed decks.
      This cycle of rare resources will be a lot less valuable than the wells. The wells fit in any dual-shard deck, so they're an auto include. The drops only matter if you're using that shard in order to accomplish that strategy. If your wincon is not to bury your opponent, the sapphire drop has no value, if your ruby deck doesn't have gladiator troops, the ruby drop has no value. If you're not into Illuminate, you need to decide whether a 1/1 Candlekin is worth sacrificing a charge over, but odds are that it won't be. Only the blood drop is somewhat universally good, and the wild one might be in some circumstances.
    • Eraia wrote:

These resources look like they'll be a lot of fun. I think of cards like Scion of Lyvaanth, Arcane Alacrity, Kindler, Psychic Ascension, etc. as great ways to make use of these.

Real pity for me that the sapphire one is mill or I'd use it in every Psychic Ascension PvE deck I build.
      Too much use out of them perhaps, especially on the psychic ascension front. I'd prefer to see them as some sort of new non-action to shop shenanigans but that's just me.
    • Would be much more compelling for the Sapphire resource to result in card draw instead of mill, but given that it's Chaos I doubt there's any return to the drawing board there. Agreeing with @schild though that the Ruby one is just bad, especially past these sets--pretty much any other aggro-ish value-add for Ruby would've been a lot more useful and compelling, even if it was just giving Gladiator to any troop.

That said, the art is still pretty primo. I really wish Hex would consider, if nothing else, giving the generic shards an art refresher of some sort for something fun to look at.
    • Fred wrote:

This cycle of rare resources will be a lot less valuable than the wells. The wells fit in any dual-shard deck, so they're an auto include. The drops only matter if you're using that shard in order to accomplish that strategy. If your wincon is not to bury your opponent, the sapphire drop has no value, if your ruby deck doesn't have gladiator troops, the ruby drop has no value. If you're not into Illuminate, you need to decide whether a 1/1 Candlekin is worth sacrificing a charge over, but odds are that it won't be. Only the blood drop is somewhat universally good, and the wild one might be in some circumstances.
      In the best case scenario they end up being like Emporor's Shrine, and just take up rare slots with cards that aren't even particularly interesting in draft. In the worst case they will be as playable and necessary as the wells, except instead of being needed in every deck of the appropriate two shards, they instead become necessary in every deck with the appropriate one shard - and potentially two become necessary in dual shard decks. There are far more ices being played in constructed than wells, and there are going to be twice as many wells around than drops.
    • these drops aren't supposed to be worth a card. stop suggesting to make them even more broken

a charge is supposed to be worth something like 20-25% of a card, and these do more than that in the decks that want them

and you actually get a full card to discard with these

jvluso wrote:

Sad to see them as rare. Rare resources are never fun to be forced to money-draft in a draft, and get annoyingly expensive for constructed decks.
      these are the best rare resources for limited we have had
    • If they aren't supposed to be worth a card, then why are some of them worth a card? Drop of Ichor is essentially just Bug Out and is similar in many ways to First Rites. Drop of Chaos is a cheaper but weaker Lunacy. Drop of Whimsy is a cheaper but weaker Parallel Evolution.

The problem isn't the power level, it's that two of them are useful in basically any deck of those shards while the other three are very restrictive in use. The Blood and Diamond Drops generate troops at even the most basic level (unless you're running a very troop-light Blood deck, I guess). Meanwhile, the Sapphire Drop is basically blank in any non-Mill oriented deck (worse than blank, if you play it against a Reanimator deck without being a Mill deck yourself, you're actively giving your opponent resources), the Ruby drop can't even be played if you don't have a Gladiator troop out, and the Wild drop is only even theoretically useful for Transform Matters or maaaaaaaaaaaybe Dreadlings decks.
    • I think that the blood resource is extremely good. Any blood deck with a fair amount of troops will want to run this for a stickier board. Ruby one is too situational (maybe can bypass this with champ, but thats iffy), wild is ok but more rng, sapphire is super strong in any mill deck, and the diamond one is good.
    • schild wrote:

Zurai wrote:

or maaaaaaaaaaaybe Dreadlings decks.
      i like how far this reaches
      Personally I can't see ever playing the wild Drop resource (giving up a charge and paying a resource to change one of my hand-picked troops into a random one is not on my list of good trades), but I can sort of vaguely see it being used in some sort of Dreadling deck to "upgrade" surviving 'lings after they attack. I'm skeptical, but stranger things have happened.
    • Zurai wrote:

schild wrote:

Zurai wrote:

or maaaaaaaaaaaybe Dreadlings decks.
      i like how far this reaches
      Personally I can't see ever playing the wild Drop resource (giving up a charge and paying a resource to change one of my hand-picked troops into a random one is not on my list of good trades), but I can sort of vaguely see it being used in some sort of Dreadling deck to "upgrade" surviving 'lings after they attack. I'm skeptical, but stranger things have happened.
      I don't see why it wouldn't be used in dreadling decks. I mean, in comparison with wild shards, you are just paying 1 charge to get a 2 cost troop.
    • cyberutopia wrote:

I don't see why it wouldn't be used in dreadling decks. I mean, in comparison with wild shards, you are just paying 1 charge to get a 2 cost troop.
      1 charge to transform a Dreadling into a random 2 drop artifact troop from sets 5-8, specifically. That means Zip Zapper, Orbiculon, Fiend of Nulzann, Emsee, Dread Transport, Chimera Bot, or Barrier Bot, plus whatever set 8 might have. None of those are very exciting or useful to a Dreadling deck except maybe the Dread Transport and that's slow and expensive. Zip Zapper and Emsee don't really interact with what the deck is doing, the Diligence troops are too small to reliably trigger Diligence (except maybe on the first turn if you use the Drop on a post-attack 'ling), and Fiend and Barrier Bot are just not going to do anything.