Bring back Test server/PTR

• Bring back Test server/PTR

Hi @ll!

Given that after every patch a lot of bugs arise, and especially the PS4 appears to have gamebreaking bugs after a patch, on the behalf of Cornerstone I would like to suggest one thing:

Bring back the test server/PTR so you can (ab)use a thorough QA by hundreds of willing free QA testers - so as to release mostly bugfree patches.

Cheers
      Largashbur
    • CoSVII wrote:

I never understood why they stopped using the test server. Obviously 100s of free QA bug testers is a good thing and actually makes for non-game breaking updates.
      I'd assume the reason is lost revenue. It lowers the hype of the actual release because people have already played with the cards, so they have less incentive to put money in right away to play with them some more.
    • If it helps prevent game-breaking bugs then its all worth it. Game-breaking bugs certainly can also mean lost revenue.

For set 5 there was a ptr and they nerfed several cards in response to the community (and I would argue it was for the better).
      The sets after set 5 seem much better design-wise to be fair. So maybe they dont need the community feedback in that regard.
    • JeffHoogland wrote:

CoSVII wrote:

I never understood why they stopped using the test server. Obviously 100s of free QA bug testers is a good thing and actually makes for non-game breaking updates.
      I'd assume the reason is lost revenue. It lowers the hype of the actual release because people have already played with the cards, so they have less incentive to put money in right away to play with them some more.
      That makes sence. You have a good point here, but as Vroengard said, pulling PS4 players into this could help a lot the progress of the game for both console and pc. I also kinda get the feeling that it would raise the hype for console players...
    • Doing larger user tests is an industry standard along with most industries with complex systems. There is much value in it and there is a reason why the biggest of this world do it.

However there is no point in doing it if you are not in a position to reap its benefits.

More so, because you do large scale testing it does not mean you have to test everything. They could, for example, just make a test server with new systems and interfaces without spoiling new cards for the set.

It is all about manpower and time. Done properly it is nearly always better than not doing it. There is no amount of “hype” that can be lost by a ptr that is greater in value than having game breaking issues on core systems at launch.

Time and manpower, the rest is risk management. If they continue aiming for the big leagues, they will have to find the time and resources none the less. They won’t be able to last very long if more significant issues become the norm for new releases.

Finally, PTR can and have been made hype generators by many companies. This should also be achievable here as well.
      @Twitch - @Twitter - @Youtube

"A Gall's fortune is sometimes good and sometimes bad, but always true."

The post was edited 2 times, last by CoachFliperon ().