sad but true - daily quests!

    • A bit late to the party but i felt like chiming in. I'm mostly a PvE player because while I like playing CCGs I dislike interacting with human beings I don't know in real time. Anyways... I'm on the ladder for maybe ten games a week and spend most of the rest of my time in the arena or fiddling with characters and decks in campaign because every time I do a thing I get a reward. Even if its a PVE pack or a bunch of FRA commons or equipment i have a dozen or more of already it triggers this sated feeling. YaY I did a thing and got a thing. Go me!. The ladder gives me levels but so does everything else <although at a much slower rate> I know that personally if i had dailies I'd be on the ladder way more. If the dailies had odd restrictions with deck building or use your champ power five times in a match or whatever I'd also feel less bad about getting a mudhole stomped in me because I was getting my ass kicked for a reason and not because I'm to poor to get anything more then one of Jeff's under 50$ ladder decks.
      Heck i think you could do it without even really giving away more stuff if you did it right.. You could offer free dust or chest spins or cruddy common packs of cards that don't even show up much on the AH, even little one use bauble that transform a card you have into its alt art version if you get the right one. Lots of things that wouldn't really hurt the ecnomy.
    • I personally really dislike daily quests or daily login rewards. They make me feel like I have to play every day. Obviously I know that's not true, but it feels true and I often end up quitting games that implement them that way. That being said, it's a useful and somewhat effective retention tool - even if I'm not a fan.


      However, I have seen similar reward structures implemented in a way that improves retention and rewards regular activity, without feeling so physiologically negative to casual or busy players. Secret World Legends is an MMO, not a TCG, but I think the idea is a good one. SWL has a progression of rewards, but doesn't put any other requirement on them apart from obtaining them in sequence. The idea is that you get reward #1 on the first day that you complete activity (x), then you get reward #2 on the second day you complete activity (y), ect... Once you complete the sequence, it restarts from the beginning.


      Example:



      Obviously the more active you are, the more rewards you get - exactly like a traditional implementation - but for whatever reason, I don't have the same negative feeling that I've missed out when I'm not able to login. Something about the fact that it "saves" your progress so you can pick it up again when you next log on takes the sting away. It's not rational, but there it is.


      Anyway, that's just my 2¢ -- there's arguments either way.
      This is the shape and the point of the tooth: nothing has ever lived that will not die.
    • Rumor wrote:

      I personally really dislike daily quests or daily login rewards. They make me feel like I have to play every day. Obviously I know that's not true, but it feels true and I often end up quitting games that implement them that way. That being said, it's a useful and somewhat effective retention tool - even if I'm not a fan.


      However, I have seen similar reward structures implemented in a way that improves retention and rewards regular activity, without feeling so physiologically negative to casual or busy players. Secret World Legends is an MMO, not a TCG, but I think the idea is a good one. SWL has a progression of rewards, but doesn't put any other requirement on them apart from obtaining them in sequence. The idea is that you get reward #1 on the first day that you complete activity (x), then you get reward #2 on the second day you complete activity (y), ect... Once you complete the sequence, it restarts from the beginning.


      Example:



      Obviously the more active you are, the more rewards you get - exactly like a traditional implementation - but for whatever reason, I don't have the same negative feeling that I've missed out when I'm not able to login. Something about the fact that it "saves" your progress so you can pick it up again when you next log on takes the sting away. It's not rational, but there it is.


      Anyway, that's just my 2¢ -- there's arguments either way.
      that’s a horrible daily quest. You must show to the player what they might lose . The best thing would be things to accomplish ( quests). And when completed you get rewards. Also as good rewards would be. Each day play 3 games win 300 gold. 6 games 1000. And 9 games 2000. Something like that . See eternal card game as an exemple of good quest system. I feel I always have something to do but never feel that I missed a day or missed a reward like you just see here
    • Portensio wrote:

      that’s a horrible daily quest. You must show to the player what they might lose . The best thing would be things to accomplish ( quests). And when completed you get rewards. Also as good rewards would be. Each day play 3 games win 300 gold. 6 games 1000. And 9 games 2000. Something like that . See eternal card game as an exemple of good quest system. I feel I always have something to do but never feel that I missed a day or missed a reward like you just see here
      I feel like you misunderstood Rumor's post. You never "miss" a reward in that system, you just get that reward the next day.
    • Portensio wrote:

      that’s a horrible daily quest. You must show to the player what they might lose . The best thing would be things to accomplish ( quests). And when completed you get rewards. Also as good rewards would be. Each day play 3 games win 300 gold. 6 games 1000. And 9 games 2000. Something like that . See eternal card game as an exemple of good quest system. I feel I always have something to do but never feel that I missed a day or missed a reward like you just see here
      To be specific, with Rumor's quoted system(which is very similar to Fortnite's login bonuses), you simply get a reward when you complete the activity once per day. You don't have to do it 14 days consecutive, but if you don't the progression is slower.

      With Fortnite's, it's specifically a login bonus... but because of the way it's implemented, it never feels like you have to log in or you've missed something, because the next day you log in the system happily reminds you 'Here ya go, have something nice for logging in!' regardless of whether you logged in yesterday or not. And you never lose progress towards the bigger rewards every seventh login.
      Gamer. Streamer. Photographer. Writer. Anime Lover. Possessor of Stuffed Animals.

      Also... I'm terrible at this game.
    • Silvanos wrote:

      Portensio wrote:

      that’s a horrible daily quest. You must show to the player what they might lose . The best thing would be things to accomplish ( quests). And when completed you get rewards. Also as good rewards would be. Each day play 3 games win 300 gold. 6 games 1000. And 9 games 2000. Something like that . See eternal card game as an exemple of good quest system. I feel I always have something to do but never feel that I missed a day or missed a reward like you just see here
      I feel like you misunderstood Rumor's post. You never "miss" a reward in that system, you just get that reward the next day.
      Ah my bad.

      I tried games where you had like 30 log in daily's and they reset at the beginnign of each month. So if you missed 3-4 days you would never get the last days bonus (which were usually the best ones) since the chart restarted.

      I prefer achievement types.. those help play the game, not just logging in.
    • I have 2 problems with any daily login system...

      1) it doesn't lead to more games being played, Just more people logging in every day. I myself am guilty of this in some of the games i play, i merely open the app and claim rewards and close it.

      2) the rewards... plain and simple the rewards are either too good or not worth it to Bother implementing a system.

      The only reward i can see working in hex would be stardust... and that would appeal to some players but not other players.
    • Rumor wrote:

      I personally really dislike daily quests or daily login rewards. They make me feel like I have to play every day. Obviously I know that's not true, but it feels true...
      It's not just you that feels the compulsion, it's everyone and it's called addictive design. For anyone that's interested, timewellspent.io describes this very articulately.

      Tournament and ladder climbing rewards are ok because they *need* critical mass for those activities to be fun. Encouraging one person to play makes the whole experience better for everyone (lower queues and more robust matchmaking).

      Log in or daily quests to play specific decks don't help the community. Hex's decision not to have them is a big reason why I choose Hex over Hearthstone and Faeria.
    • Shylba wrote:

      Rumor wrote:

      I personally really dislike daily quests or daily login rewards. They make me feel like I have to play every day. Obviously I know that's not true, but it feels true...
      It's not just you that feels the compulsion, it's everyone and it's called addictive design. For anyone that's interested, timewellspent.io describes this very articulately.
      Tournament and ladder climbing rewards are ok because they *need* critical mass for those activities to be fun. Encouraging one person to play makes the whole experience better for everyone (lower queues and more robust matchmaking).

      Log in or daily quests to play specific decks don't help the community. Hex's decision not to have them is a big reason why I choose Hex over Hearthstone and Faeria.
      In general, i'lm also very happy with how Hex gives away rewards (ladder, free tournaments and account leveling)

      I just find that it lacks giving the ''IN YOUR FACE'' type rewards.

      Also, ladder should give gold if you win a game.
    • Portensio wrote:

      Also, ladder should give gold if you win a game.
      This was abused in the past. People would intentionally AFK to frustrate opponents into resigning for a free win.

      An idea to improve daily log-in while encouraging play is to create an XP earned multiplier by consecutive days of activity up to a cap. And also give XP earned multiplier for being offline for two or more days (up to a maximum cap of seven days for max multiplier) so no one's left out and it would be in effect for the day you log in before it resets to the 'active' days multiplier.

      Basically, this allows faster progression of account level the more days you participate that's not tied to a static amount like bonus XP. So for example, an activity such as a ladder game earns you a set number of XP, with the multiplier it would give you XP * multiplier instead. This makes the more you do feel like you're levelling faster instead of feeling like you're capped out daily because you ran out of bonus XP.
      HEX Support | HEX CoC | HEX T&C

      Twitch | Steam | HEX Furs Telegram | Sterling Starwatcher