Deck Drilldown - Diamond-Ruby Ardent

• JeffHoogland wrote:

It is about generating tempo. Vandalize almost always trades up in terms of resources. Spending 1 resource to kill something that costs 2+ is often a big swing in aggressive mirrors.

This deck isn't interested in going long and generating extra value that trashmute would provide.
      I just wanted to say amazing job to Jeff on this. Many players make the mistake of trying to force a deck to play to their style. Jeff understands this is an aggressive deck that maximizes damage. Every resoure per turn goes into getting maximum damage
      Card economy and value are not a priority for aggessive decks because they try to win before economy matters. The 1 addition resource for transmute reduces your maximum damage on any given turn without any benefit toward your goal. Great job to Jeff for identifying this. It is the same logic why deed and casuallty are better forms of removal in redlings over powerful cards like herofall.
    • I'll admit this is hard for me. My gut says Trashmute has a bigger payoff on average than Vandalize.

I do understand the tempo generating argument, trying to maximize everything. Yet not every match where opp plays artifacts is an aggressive mirror and it feels like it's worth a little tempo sacrifice in favor of being able to establish a better board presence.

But I'm not the expert here and I want to learn to become better so I'll have to swallow being wrong.
      "Ignorant beliefs are stains upon the mind."
    • Transience wrote:

I'll admit this is hard for me. My gut says Trashmute has a bigger payoff on average than Vandalize.

I do understand the tempo generating argument, trying to maximize everything. Yet not every match where opp plays artifacts is an aggressive mirror and it feels like it's worth a little tempo sacrifice in favor of being able to establish a better board presence.

But I'm not the expert here and I want to learn to become better so I'll have to swallow being wrong.

The thing is you don't really get better board presence. You used 2 resources instead of 1 to get rid of the same threat and to use the "payoff"(valor) you have to use another resource. You are using 3 resources at that point, which on turn 3-4 is a lot for 1 extra damage and the same removal. You can just as easily use 1 for vandalize and 2 for a 2 drop on turn 3 or 3 for a 3 drop on turn 4. If the 3 drop is hero of legend you are generating the valor anyway and gaining a 3/4 and if you play scion you are gaining a 2/2 and a 1/1 also being above the valor. All of these lines are actually a far greater impact on the board for the same resources.
    • But it's not just one extra damage. It's a second Intrepid Conjurer on the board and/or a 3 damage trigger from Heart of Embers and/or 1 extra illumination, in addition to giving a troop +1/+1 . Either that same turn or later in the game.
    • I noticed that Exalted Knight has a new wording. Ardent Ally. Does that mean that we are going to have a new wording template?? ?(
      [Blocked Image: http://wardens.hexcompendium.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/cropped-wardens-of-entraht-logo-tranparent.png]The Wardens of Entrath is a large, open to public community of Hex enthusiasts with a mission to help and support Hex players and content creators alike!

Find us on our Discord server or website!
    • I can report that I've been matched against a couple of different PS4 users with this deck--or close variations of it (presumably from card availability / plat budget.) So for what it's worth, there's definitely console players in the wild looking at these articles as a build path!
    • JeffHoogland wrote:

If you are playing against a lot of off meta decks with artifacts you can and should adjust the reserves. The reserves of this deck are tuned for the decks I'd expect to face at something like a Bash currently. The only close to tier 1 decks with artifacts is the Sockets Ardent deck which is very aggressive so the tempo from a lower cost matters a lot.
      The sideboard guide seems 100% reasonable for a competitive tournament, that's quite clear and should always be implicit in any guide like this for the readers... And equally obvious should be that when someone plays on the ladder he's better adjust his side as they think it's better. For example, I added Scouring light because I often face Papa Goot, and I have a Silent Sentinel, too... both have been useful.

I can only say thank you to Jeff for his excellent piece and hope that people will use it (and all the other Drilldown guides) in the best way... that's what lets us always learn something, right? Sorry but as a teacher that was an important point for me... ;)
    • Transience wrote:

But it's not just one extra damage. It's a second Intrepid Conjurer on the board and/or a 3 damage trigger from Heart of Embers and/or 1 extra illumination, in addition to giving a troop +1/+1 . Either that same turn or later in the game.
      I'll agree to the Conjurer play, but all your other examples require 1 of 2 things.

1) You play the trashmute early and play the valor later. This logic is not good for aggressive decks. You are reducing your damage for more damage later. The general rule of aggressive decks is give your opponent as few turns as possible, which this strategy goes against. You are actually increasing the chance of yourself losing.

2) You already built your board and played the trashmute into valor. This is ok, but could you have played any other valor generator + vandalize instead on this later turn? Also does the extra valor even matter at this point in the game or did removing the threat already win you the game?

Basically the "benefit" of trashmute is an illusion in most cases because it actually takes you away from your goal in most games, or is actually an irrelevant text box.

There is a very specific case I'd use trashmute over vandalize and that is in an artifact deck with deathcry triggers such as the abomination gem. Vandalize will still leave them a blocker, so you would have to dedicate a resource and another card to their new blocker anyway. That being said I would not make that reserve adjustment without A more meta data, or B gambling on a possible meta shift that says deathcry socket artifacts will be a thing.

I'm guessing you don't play aggressive decks considering you are so fixated on value plays.
    • It's true that I'm thinking in terms of value for every situation in a game when I consider a deck's contents. Pure aggro is pretty linear and not my favorite type of deck. Maybe I haven't been looking at Haraza Candle Valor as pure aggro. I've been toying with the deck beyond the trashmute/vandalize choices as well. Taking out Crusader and because of that Rowan and Exalted Knight to add some interaction. I felt that this deck was fast enough only a certain percentage of the time and gets overpowered in the mid and late game too easily by Kagulichu and socket decks, which I've faced a lot.
    • Transience wrote:

It's true that I'm thinking in terms of value for every situation in a game when I consider a deck's contents. Pure aggro is pretty linear and not my favorite type of deck. Maybe I haven't been looking at Haraza Candle Valor as pure aggro. I've been toying with the deck beyond the trashmute/vandalize choices as well. Taking out Crusader and because of that Rowan and Exalted Knight to add some interaction. I felt that this deck was fast enough only a certain percentage of the time and gets overpowered in the mid and late game too easily by Kagulichu and socket decks, which I've faced a lot.
      Just because this variant of the deck is the most successful doesn't mean you shouldn't play a version that's less objectively powerful if it fits your playstyle better. If you're not playing the deck is a pure aggro deck, then you're not maximizing the power of this particular list and should be playing a modified version. This also ties back to the Warparty Guide comment. If you wanted to mess around with the deck and take it in a different direction to maximize your own enjoyment, nothing is stopping you. Warparty Guide certainly has a fairly high hit-rate in the deck and would certainly not be a bad card in the deck even if it's not the best option.

Whenever you take someone else's deck, at first you'll want to avoid changing things to see how the deck was originally built, but after you've seen how the deck functions, you should definitely tune it over time, not just to your particular meta, but to your own preferences as well. You play games not just to win, but also to have fun and if you enjoy playing with specific cards, especially if they fit decently into the deck, go for it.