2017 Extra Life Charity Stream - Cory's interview recap

• 2017 Extra Life Charity Stream - Cory's interview recap

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Charity Stream 2017 Interview with Cory (Funktion and Havok)
      • Interview Link: go.twitch.tv/videos/185086815

Update to Roadmap (general strategy for Hex development)

1- Grow the playerbase (short, mid term)

Other platforms
      • PS4: Continue release PS4 client to new Regions (Europe likely comming next week, Japan/China planned as well)
      • PS4: Chat and Mail features confirmed coming soon
      • Tablet: Will be the next added platform, plans are to release it end of 2017, early 2018
      • Tablet: They target IOS first but Android also confirm shortly after
      • Tablet: Shared accounts confirmed
      • Xbox: They are currently working with Microsoft on getting the console client out with them as a follow up to tablet release

2- Improve player retention

Continue releasing sets on schedule
      • Sets should be releasing on all platforms at the same time

Adding new features to the game (mid, long term)
      • Achievement system both at account and card level (replacing double back)
      • Guids
      • Cosmic Coins
      • Tools for players to create their own content

PVE
      • PVE in general not viewed as a mean to grow the player base but rather as a mean to improve retention by providing a "sandbox" type environment to explore
      • Will be releasing some amount of small "stand alone" PVE features and updates while moving towards the big AZ3 release
      • AZ3: the hope is to get a release in 2018 (no commitment on it yet)
      • AZ3: Keeps and Crafting should be part of the release (both systems interact with each other)

3- Other additions to the game

Multiplayer
      • multiplayer is the least priority for Hex development at this time

Account leveling
      • no increase of the current cap planned short term. Only a small fraction of the players have achieved lvl100 even at this time

If I missed anything or if someone is incorrect please let me know!

The Wardens of Entrath is a large, open to public community of Hex enthusiasts with a mission to help and support Hex players and content creators alike!

Find us on our Discord server or website!

The post was edited 3 times, last by CoachFliperon ().

• Haven't listened to the interview itself but I trust Coach have an accurate summary.

Whelp, finally they officialy said what everyone knew since months ago. And to hell with "We have not given up on PvE". Guess someone scolded Cory for that and that's why the unusual short time between his interviews.

With PvE and multiplayer being out of their plans, I know a bunch of players will leave (including most of the people I tried to introduce in the game) and I don't know how long I'll stay myself. I wanted to play with my friends.

I could say that I wish there was a way for the discarded MMORPG promises to have legal repercussions but I don't think KS works like this. I pity the ones who spent money on the idea. I don't even care any more if Hex is successful with this new direction.
    • I only listened to the interview with half an ear, and only heard the part where Cory basically said that multiplayer is on of his personal most wanted feature, and that they had literally worked on it for years. It seems it's a huge obstacle to pass for development...
    • CoachFliperon wrote:

HexEnt, you've got to be fucking kidding me. The biggest thing you could do to grow the playerbase and improve player retention is add multiplayer, yet you make that your least priority? FFS, do you still not realize that the idea of an MMORPGTCG is what made the Kickstarter so successful? And that without multiplayer, Hex is just another card game in an oversaturated market, a market dominated by 2 other games that it has no hope of competing against without being an MMORPGTCG to set it apart?

And if you think the players who would play for the MMO side of the game wouldn't generate revenue, you're wrong. As a mostly PVE player, I would gladly buy every Collector's deck and Battleboard, simply to support the game, and I'm sure there are plenty of players who share that mentality. However, I'm not going to spend another dime on Hex after the Kickstarter until I'm convinced that the game isn't going to fizzle and die, and you've got to add multiplayer to do that.
    • CoachFliperon wrote:

Multiplayer
      I am not sure if this is what Cory wanted to say. While he said that multiplayer is the thing the least work was done for he also stated that by far the most amount of brainstorming and testing on paper went into this, even more than on dungeons and classes. So I would not consider it least priority but incredibly hard to accomplish.

EDIT: For those who want to hear what Cory said start the VOD at 01:01:20 for player created content, player retention and multiplayer. What I said above is explained at around 01:07:00.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Insanctus ().

• Since we now know that Android is going to be a thing and accounts can be shared between pc and tablet does anybody have some early pointers on what to probably look for if one was interested in buying an android tablet to play HEX and have the best experience possible? What minimal specs should I consider?
      "Ignorant beliefs are stains upon the mind."
    • Gregangel wrote:

Vroengard wrote:

With PvE and multiplayer being out of their plans, I know a bunch of players will leave (including most of the people I tried to introduce in the game) and I don't know how long I'll stay myself. I wanted to play with my friends.
      you are amazing : where did you read that in Coach report ??
      I feel the same way as Vroengard, and its because of these bullet points:

• PVE in general not viewed as a mean to grow the player base but rather as a mean to improve retention by providing a "sandbox" type environment to explore
      • Will be releasing some amount of small "stand alone" PVE features and updates while moving towards the big AZ3 release
      • AZ3: the hope is to get a release in 2018 (no commitment on it yet)
      • AZ3: Keeps and Crafting should be part of the release (both systems interact with each other)

Multiplayer

First point: I understand perfectly and agree to some extent. Although I think the PvE promise brought a lot of players at start, it doesn't attract many players right now. Kinda logical if there is no new stuff coming out for PvE though... PvP wouldn't bring many new players if no new sets came out.
      Second point: small PvE updates can be considered anything: kismet packs, new mercs from chests can be seen as small stand alone updates. Yet with no new PvE encounters, there is little incentive to try them out on a dungeon you cleared 100x already.
      Third point: This did it for me. they HOPE it will come out in 2018. It feels like a punch in the face after waiting for so long. What about the pipelines they supposedly created that should speed up the development? What did they even work on since AZ2? If they created AZ2 in ±9 months, why couldn't they create another in another 9 months.
      Fourth point: Very interested in this features, yet cba to wait a year to see it not coming out. Giving HexE's track record, it won't come out in 2018, or perhaps in december just to say it came out 'on time'.
      Fifth point: as I feared, the plans for multiplayer in any shape or form are gone. If AZ3 only might come out in 2018, raids/guilds etc are not happening for at least after that.

I really don't care about the excuses anymore that are in the podcast. I've read too many different ones by now. Vague answers and some art spoilers (the art is freaking awesome, but it would be nice to see it in-game) isn't enough to keep me excited and hyped. Cory's personality and enthusiasm are great, but his replies to question are too vague and full of excuses that have no follow-up.

I'll see if the new set feels interesting enough, but doubting atm if I should just sell my acc now and jump to other card games with cool PvE features. Thankfully more developers realise PvE/multiplayer is a key selling point and are heavily investing in it (Faeria, Minion Masters, Gwent), so I don't have to desperately cling to this possibly sinking PvE/multiplayer ship.

The post was edited 2 times, last by Bawb ().

• Dinotropia wrote:

I really do recommend everyone watch the interview when you get the chance. This summary by Coach is awesome (thanks, sir!), but it misses lots of Cory's reasoning and explanations which helps put everything in better context.
      100%, a bullet point recap should not be interpreted as a detailed summary. If you see things in there that interest you, please watch the interview for context.

As a PVE player myself, I was really happy with the interview. All the signs were already pointing to a 2018 AZ3 release at the earliest, nothing new under the sun of Entrath. What is new however is that there never was any confirmation (to my recollection) that we would be getting smaller dedicated stand alone pve releases until we reach the big AZ3 PVE content patch. That is fairly great new for any PVE enthousiast. It could also potentially mean a 2017 pve content patch as well since we are speaking about smaller increments.

More so, Cory mentioned that his current view on the PVE “offering” of the game is one that is a “sandbox” type experience. I am really happy with that as it is also the best way to experience and describe PVE right now. There were a lot of talks about PVE recently but this is a good refresher of what Cory envisions for the future of PVE.

What is more interesting is that he also mentions a possible new tool for player created content. Hopefully that encompasses PVE as well. If there is one thing that a sandbox experience needs to thrive, it is player created content! The better the tools, the better the sandbox experience!

The Wardens of Entrath is a large, open to public community of Hex enthusiasts with a mission to help and support Hex players and content creators alike!

Find us on our Discord server or website!

The post was edited 1 time, last by CoachFliperon ().

• Bawb wrote:

Third point: This did it for me. they HOPE it will come out in 2018. It feels like a punch in the face after waiting for so long. What about the pipelines they supposedly created that should speed up the development? What did they even work on since AZ2? If they created AZ2 in ±9 months, why couldn't they create another in another 9 months.
      Was it said like that? I don't remember that exactly. What was said was that AZ3 will be the one that not only has the next chapter in the campaign but also includes the keeps. It is therefor a much bigger update than az2 was.

Funktion asked if it would be there in 6 months and Cory said "I can't answer that". And honestly he shouldn't because programmers/engineers giving out eta's are not right in the head and he's learned that by now.

They are still committed to bringing all of the PvE stuff but they are limited by the resources they can spend. They have decided that the main focus of HEX at this time needs to be to bring in new players. Based on that decision they have ranked all of their ongoing and planned projects by priority and PvE simply has less priority than new platforms and PvP. Which makes 100% sense. That doesn't mean it's not going to come it simply means other stuff comes first.

I would understand that if you're a PvE only player and have run all of the content to death you'd be taking a step back from HEX. I don't understand the threat to leave the game though. HEX is awesome enough to be worth the wait so you can just come back when new content that you're interested in is eventually released, right?

It's simply a matter of looking at the future. If you want more content released faster and faster you need to grow to company. The company can only grow with more customers. So you need to realize that which you believe will bring those new customers. It's not really a choice they have, it's simply a business plan.

And it's not even as black and white as some people make it look like. They have recently redesigned the FRA. I can't imagine that being something that they believed would bring in new players. Yet they still did that. Cory has also mentioned that they are going to do more on the FRA in the future as it's tied in with PvP sets 7 to 10. And there will also be other small PvE updates as well between now and the big one.
      "Ignorant beliefs are stains upon the mind."

The post was edited 1 time, last by Transience ().

• Enjoyed the interview - thanks for Havoc and Funktion for the non-easy questions and Cory for answering them to the point.

I'm super hyped for the player-generated content Cory mentioned. This seems like very much a PvE feature to me - and one that can solve a lot of the current problems with PvE if implemented correctly (as highlighted on Bootlace's thread about his dream for Keeps).

I think people need to stop attaching progress in the PvE development to new AZs only. As Cory mentioned, Hex already has 50+ hours of PvE content. HXE needs to prioritize replayability(end-game)/tweakability(varying difficulty levels), monetization (more cosmetics as is apparently coming up), and MMO-like immersion/interaction between players rather than churning out very costly new AZs/Dungeons.
    • Xetherion wrote:

CoachFliperon wrote:

HexEnt, you've got to be fucking kidding me. The biggest thing you could do to grow the playerbase and improve player retention is add multiplayer, yet you make that your least priority? FFS, do you still not realize that the idea of an MMORPGTCG is what made the Kickstarter so successful? And that without multiplayer, Hex is just another card game in an oversaturated market, a market dominated by 2 other games that it has no hope of competing against without being an MMORPGTCG to set it apart?
      And if you think the players who would play for the MMO side of the game wouldn't generate revenue, you're wrong. As a mostly PVE player, I would gladly buy every Collector's deck and Battleboard, simply to support the game, and I'm sure there are plenty of players who share that mentality. However, I'm not going to spend another dime on Hex after the Kickstarter until I'm convinced that the game isn't going to fizzle and die, and you've got to add multiplayer to do that.
      I don't think anyone is arguing / saying that multiplayer wouldn't be awesome. In fact Jones in this interview talked about how great it would be and I agree. I also agree that it would be unique and bring in a lot of players.

It also has a lot of technical hurdles to overcome. Probably more than any other feature. It isn't like they can just take the resources from one or probably even two PVP sets and suddenly that is enough to make multiplayer happened.

I get that you and others like PVE - but that does not mean you need to downplay how good the PVP in Hex is. As someone who has spent a lot of time playing the PVP of a lot of different digital card games - Hex's PVP is very unique and wonderful. Not only in terms of the depth of game play offered, but also in terms of events people can play in.

So yes - while PVE stuff like multiplayer would be awesome - awesome PVE features are not the only thing that make Hex stand out against other digital card games.