2017 Extra Life Charity Stream - Cory's interview recap

• Transience wrote:

I play PvP and PvE
      I, too, play PvE. It took my (2 factions * 4 classes = 8 characters) about 8 hrs each to finish the campaign.

Transience wrote:

You can continue to make negative post after negative post about how you're not getting what you feel you're entitled to within the time-span that you want it but that is not going to change reality. They have set their priorities and they make a lot of sense.
      1) I never said I WANT anything.
      2) I never said I DESERVE anything.
      3) Yes, I do think that 4 years is enough for them to deliver not all but MORE things of those that they started the game with plans of.
      4) Their priorities, while making sense from a business standpoint, they make no sense from a what-was-kickstarted standpoint.

In case you missed it, this is NOT the Hex that was Kickstarted and that's the whole point. You saying that this is better at making money is irrelevant. I liked THAT game that was silently disposed of and replaced by a look-alike.

The post was edited 2 times, last by Vroengard ().

• If what you claim was true, I'd have started bugging them since, I dunno, May or June, whenever the FRA update was.

The point is that if they wipped out AZ3, it'd go towards them proving that they have a concrete plan for AZ releases and, therefore, regualr PvE content (and I mean true PvE content, not 1 year of only adding a few new bosses in the Arena).

AZ2 was released what, 11 months ago? And, apparently, we shouldn't hold our breath for AZ3 on '18? 3+ years for an AZ then?

There is 0 consistency as far as PvE goes.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Vroengard ().

• I am with Transience on this one. I play both pve and pvp and while I want so much more in pve I am still happy with what we have so far.

I am not all that good at pvp though ( I tend to choke under pressure) so I spend most of my time in pve. I want more as soon as possible but I also want Hex to make enough money to keep going. I know money doesn't grow on trees and that programming can be both difficult and expensive. While pve is going far more slowly than I would like, I have no doubt at all that Hex will keep working to deliver all it has promised and more.
    • Transience wrote:

So you're essentially telling us that if they did poop out AZ3 tomorrow it would grant them about a week's worth of respite before you started bugging them for the next update?
      That's why what we need is either repeatable, dynamic content involving our pve characters or group content.

The story content is great, but it will NEVER be what occupies the bulk of peoples' time. Look at FFXIV, Diablo 3, WoW, ANY other predominately PvE experience... the story is always what hooks people, but never what occupies the majority of peoples' time. It's always the repeatable content and the group content, especially if there is dynamic, repeatable, group pve content, that people enjoy.

In FFXIV, things like the end-game raids, dungeons, and the game's 'Deep Dungeon' feature make up most of peoples' time. In Diablo 3 it's a combination of nephalem rifts and challenge rifts that people devote most of their time to.

A story mode is great. It's a very important thing to have. It gives people a good, solid, enjoyable 'first experience'. But it doesn't keep people coming back. That's what's missing. The reason to come back to their PvE characters.
      Gamer. Streamer. Photographer. Writer. Anime Lover. Possessor of Stuffed Animals.

Also... I'm terrible at this game.
    • People are focusing on how much content they're releasing, but maintenance of content is also an issue.

When FRA2 launched, they talked about how they wanted it to be a challenge rather than something people farmed. And to this end, they nerfed Slaughtergears. But people found other decks which could farm it, perhaps even better, and they did nothing.

Want PvE content to last longer? Maintain it. When a deck is too powerful, nerf it back to a proper power level.

The game could really use monthly balance updates for both PvE and PvP.
    • it's worth noting he actually called out EDH (and me, apparently, which I must've missed) in the stream

the short version is "meh"

the long version is "meh, i don't understand why it's needed"

the super long version is "mehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"
    • Mach wrote:

People are focusing on how much content they're releasing, but maintenance of content is also an issue.

When FRA2 launched, they talked about how they wanted it to be a challenge rather than something people farmed. And to this end, they nerfed Slaughtergears. But people found other decks which could farm it, perhaps even better, and they did nothing.

Want PvE content to last longer? Maintain it. When a deck is too powerful, nerf it back to a proper power level.

The game could really use monthly balance updates for both PvE and PvP.
      That's a good point, I think they could have gone a long way by holding a few things close to their hand with FRA in general, maybe a boss or two, or a day of the dragons thing or something, to promote it a little bit better. It just became obvious to me over the years that it was in general being de-prioritized one way or another, and the PSN client nailed those concerns, this interview backs it up (in my head).

I love the AZs, I played a ton of FRA, but if there are elements that seem complete in those additions which is why it feels half baked (and it is, we still don't have access to skills and classes). As others have pointed out, there is no end game. Anything that seemed polished in those experiences now seem to have a restrictive set of cobwebs on them, especially when you consider the pace of the rest of the client and the PvP side. This makes sense as the money is on the PvP side now and they obviously need that to move forward, but what I fail to see is how we get back to really turning the PvE experience into something that remotely resembles what we thought about.

I hope for all the successes with Hex, but I don't see it as being enough that HXE can allocate enough time into PvE that it stands as part of the draw for bringing you back to the client multiple times a day. They're going to have a ton of work on their hands managing 4 separate clients regardless of their Unity/whatever workflow and they'd be idiotic not to siphon any profit back into immediate PvP development as the bulk of their clients wouldn't even have access to PvE if things go well with Card Clash, etc.

That's not to say with all of my harsh criticism since I returned from a long hiatus (probably to go right back into said hiatus as I haven't said one damn positive thing since my return) that Hex isn't a great game. It really is, it got me playing and loving PvP, something I thought I was near impossible. If Hex has to shift to become PvP only based to survive than do it. I am just tired of hearing what it is supposed to be and what it could be when I feel it's apparent that Hex won't ever really get there.

Right, sorry for dropping in after all this time and being so negative - I came back for the PS4 client launch and was a bit disappointed in it so my reemergence has been married to being obnoxiously critical. I'll come back to eat crow in the future I hope...
    • Vroengard wrote:

In case you missed it, this is NOT the Hex that was Kickstarted and that's the whole point. You saying that this is better at making money is irrelevant. I liked THAT game that was silently disposed of and replaced by a look-alike.
      Old news, dude.

Reality caught up with that a long time ago and you know that. It's been explained by Cory over and over.

Besides; they still want to make sure everything will happen as promised, it's just going to take longer than you thought it would.
      "Ignorant beliefs are stains upon the mind."
    • Since AZ2 released (which was over a year ago) we PvE focused players have go the following:

-event PvE cards
      -updated FRA(mostly new opponents, new loot, and the elite system)
      -pve cards and equipment from pvp chests
      -kismet packs (sort of a hybrid though)

What PvP Players have got since then:

-asynch draft
      -Hex Clash
      -Hex Bash
      -2 new PvP sets (with a 3rd coming up soon)
      -the upcoming fight night tournament
      -kismet draft
      -the respective tournaments that come with the immortal format
      -PS4 (which does not include pve)

I may be missing some PvP things here, but it is very clear that HexEnt is putting PvE on the backburner. As someone who joined because of the promise of PvE, it is very frustrating to see that they are not caring as much as they used to about PvE. For what weve got on the PvE in over a year ago, only one item is a feature, the FRA update, and the rest of the things are just new items itself, not even new features. One. New. Feature. In over a year. Meanwhile, PVP players are getting tournaments, regular sets on a set schedule of 4 months per, new formats in the form of immortal, the ps4 (no, ps4 cannot be considered a PvE feature because it does not inclue PvE), and some new limited modes.

I joined this game because of the MMO/RPG element and it has become clear that hexent is throwing it away. And now they can't even say that they could have AZ3 out for 2018, which would give them over 2 entire years since AZ2. With all the issues with communication lately and a clear lack of focus on PvE content, I have lost a large amount of trust in what hexent says in regards to PvE. And honestly, as someone who has been here since set 2 and has spent quite a bit of money, I am really considering quitting a the moment.

Edit: was confused about past timelines. Made some changes to the list

The post was edited 3 times, last by Airtron ().

• Eraia wrote:

Transience wrote:

So you're essentially telling us that if they did poop out AZ3 tomorrow it would grant them about a week's worth of respite before you started bugging them for the next update?
      That's why what we need is either repeatable, dynamic content involving our pve characters or group content.
      I agree. And they are putting thought into that I believe.

In the interview before the last one Cory talked about a campaign mode where you are restricted to playing the campaign with the cards you earn while doing it. That is a lot of re-playability. I certainly believe that the other relevant factors you mention are also on their minds.

(For dynamic content I think it would go a long way if they implemented a shandalar like system of wandering AI opponents into the campaign.)
      "Ignorant beliefs are stains upon the mind."
    • Transience wrote:

Eraia wrote:

Transience wrote:

I agree. And they are putting thought into that I believe.
      In the interview before the last one Cory talked about a campaign mode where you are restricted to playing the campaign with the cards you earn while doing it. That is a lot of re-playability. I certainly believe that the other relevant factors you mention are also on their minds.

(For dynamic content I think it would go a long way if they implemented a shandalar like system of wandering AI opponents into the campaign.)
      Or just give us a randomized 'arena-style' dungeon. There are simple approaches that will accomplish this and act as a stop-gap for more involved solutions.
      Gamer. Streamer. Photographer. Writer. Anime Lover. Possessor of Stuffed Animals.

Also... I'm terrible at this game.
    • Airtron wrote:

Since AZ2 released (which was over a year ago) we PvE focused players have go the following:

-event PvE cards

-evo sealed
      -asynch draft
      -Hex Clash
      -Hex Bash
      -3 new PvP sets (with a 4th coming up soon)
      -Immortal format
      -kismet draft
      Do you realize that outside of PVP sets and the PS4 release, basically everything you listed there are just events with different format types? The backend work that goes into creating new events is likely trivial at best assuming Hex's backend is setup properly.

Creating multiplayer and a true MMOTCG is far from a trivial task and likely requires more work than everything on the PVP list you just made including porting to new platforms and creating 4 PVP sets.
    • Airtron wrote:

Since AZ2 released (which was over a year ago) we PvE focused players have go the following:

-event PvE cards

-evo sealed
      -asynch draft
      -Hex Clash
      -Hex Bash
      -Immortal format
      -kismet draft

I may be missing some PvP things here, but it is very clear that HexEnt is putting PvE on the backburner. As someone who joined because of the promise of PvE, it is very frustrating to see that they are not caring as much as they used to about PvE. For what weve got on the PvE in over a year ago, only one item is a feature, the FRA update, and the rest of the things are just new items itself, not even new features. One. New. Feature. In over a year. Meanwhile, PVP players are getting tournaments, regular sets on a set schedule of 4 months per, new formats in the form of immortal, the ps4 (no, ps4 cannot be considered a PvE feature because it does not inclue PvE), and some new limited modes.

I joined this game because of the MMO/RPG element and it has become clear that hexent is throwing it away. And now they can't even say that they could have AZ3 out for 2018, which would give them over 2 entire years since AZ2. With all the issues with communication lately and a clear lack of focus on PvE content, I have lost a large amount of trust in what hexent says in regards to PvE. And honestly, as someone who has been here since set 2 and has spent quite a bit of money, I am really considering quitting a the moment.
      AZ2 was not released over a year ago. Evo Sealed, Herofall, and Immortal (and its tournaments) all came out before AZ2 did. You also skipped over that, after AZ2's initial release, it got patched adding in around a half-dozen extra cards. When you take out all the things that were released before AZ2 and group all the different tournaments together (since it's really just "New Tournaments"), then the lists aren't out of proportion.
    • JeffHoogland wrote:

Airtron wrote:

-event PvE cards

-evo sealed
      -asynch draft
      -Hex Clash
      -Hex Bash
      -Immortal format
      -kismet draft
      Do you realize that outside of PVP sets and the PS4 release, basically everything you listed there are just events with different format types? The backend work that goes into creating new events is likely trivial at best assuming Hex's backend is setup properly.
      Creating multiplayer and a true MMOTCG is far from a trivial task and likely requires more work than everything on the PVP list you just made including porting to new platforms and creating 4 PVP sets.
      I do realize that most might not require as much work, but the point is to compare what was done in PvP work vs what was done in PvE work for released content. I did not ask for multiplayer right away, I just want to see some progress on PvE kickstarter promises like double backs (their refined version), raids, keeps, crafting, etc. The list shows that the majority of things hex has done in the past while since AZ2 has all been for PvP. PvE has just recieved new items and some new enemies while pvp players are getting regular releases as well as new tournaments for them to play in. If hexent can't at least commit to 2018 for AZ3, then to me that is very telling.
    • Airtron wrote:

I do realize that most might not require as much work, but the point is to compare what was done in PvP work vs what was done in PvE work for released content. I did not ask for multiplayer right away, I just want to see some progress on PvE kickstarter promises like double backs (their refined version), raids, keeps, crafting, etc. The list shows that the majority of things hex has done in the past while since AZ2 has all been for PvP. PvE has just recieved new items and some new enemies while pvp players are getting regular releases as well as new tournaments for them to play in. If hexent can't at least commit to 2018 for AZ3, then to me that is very telling.
      It is easy to release little things for PVP because they aren't dependent on each other for the most part. And again - a lot of these PVP things don't require a lot of investment in terms of hour is needed to be created in order to make them happen. If 10 PVP things can get done in less time it takes for 1 major PVE thing to be done, we will have a lot to show on the PVP side as the parts are ready, while the PVE piece is still under construction.

Listening to Jones talk in the interview he talks about how things like keeps and crafting are intertwined with each other. This means even if they have work done on them, they can't release one part of a system without all of the systems being ready. That means it takes a much longer time to have things to share with the public. They can't release it in parts like we have with PVP stuff.

Also this:

Airtron wrote:

I did not ask for multiplayer right away

Airtron wrote:

I just want to see some progress on PvE kickstarter promises like ... raids
      Don't raids require multiplayer?
    • JeffHoogland wrote:

Airtron wrote:

It is easy to release little things for PVP because they aren't dependent on each other for the most part. And again - a lot of these PVP things don't require a lot of investment in terms of hour is needed to be created in order to make them happen. If 10 PVP things can get done in less time it takes for 1 major PVE thing to be done, we will have a lot to show on the PVP side as the parts are ready, while the PVE piece is still under construction.
      Listening to Jones talk in the interview he talks about how things like keeps and crafting are intertwined with each other. This means even if they have work done on them, they can't release one part of a system without all of the systems being ready. That means it takes a much longer time to have things to share with the public. They can't release it in parts like we have with PVP stuff.

Also this:

Airtron wrote:

I did not ask for multiplayer right away

Airtron wrote:

I just want to see some progress on PvE kickstarter promises like ... raids
      Don't raids require multiplayer?
      Yes of course raids do, but that wasnt my point for that statement. The statement says that I would like to see progress on PvE kickstarter promises. So for example, just seeing progress on say, keeps (yes it is also intertwined with crafting, so this implies progress on crafting too) would make me happy. But we haven't seen what they have yet, nor heard of a percent-based progress or something of how far along they are. We are in the dark for PvE progress. From my understanding, PS4 has been a lot of work and also PvP sets seem to take a fair amount of work as well. Then on top of the PvP work, they have all the extra features mentioned that they released. This, to me, implies that the vast majority of the past work Hexent has done has been for PvP, which again, is putting PvE on the backburner. Sure you could argue that in the background, hexent has plenty done for keeps and crafting, but they can't even commit to 2018 for az3! I am more of a pessimist myself, and to me this is super concerning.
    • I'm actually really encouraged by this reality check coming to fruition.

I, like many others, came to the kickstarter due to the familiar PvP premise, but backed and stayed because of the promise of a bunch of awesome PvE and social features.

But as I've expressed recently to all of my friends that play, I hope AZ3 is the last AZ they release. It's just not what is going to help the game right now.

Look, I've really enjoyed played all the PvE content, beaten both AZs several times and still grind the FRA just as something to do while watching TV shows. But here's the thing, for players new to the game (and especially genre), there is already a bunch of PvE content, and not a lot of it is particularly easy. There is pretty much no way a 3rd AZ is going to change that dynamic for new players. You know what really would change the dynamic though? Guilds, strongholds, bid/ask AH, far improved chat, crafting, hard mode dungeons, quests, achievements, oh and RAIDS.

Here's a quick test to see if you agree: If I told you right now that AZ3 was 0% done with no resources applied, and instead strongholds and guilds were EOY 2017, bid/ask AH Q1 2018 and raids late Q2 2018 would you take it? I would take that shit in a heartbeat.

As a matter of fact, HXE should go wide with the current PvE content they do have:
      • The current content should be refactored to be significantly easier
      • Rewards should be increased and more engaging early on. Possibly even include an Evo ticket first completion of an AZ zone.
        • If you are uncomfortable by that, what about an Evo or Draft Shadow ticket? I know people are against the idea of shadow limited, but what if the only way to do a shadow draft was from a ticket that comes from elite account-bound 1-of drops. It would allow new players to stress-free try some of the most engaging parts of the game, represents a smaller impact on value than the similar account-level full ticket drops, and due to the time involved before a payout is achieved, account-farming would be minimal.
      • The FRA should be integrated into the campaign as a separate off-shoot series of fights that have increasing difficultly approximating the difficulty gradient between AZ1/2 content and the FRA. You would have to complete these fights before being able to enter the FRA.
      • A hard mode for dungeons should be created, whereas normal mode would be difficultly-decreased, this new-hard mode would be a step up in difficulty from the current version
      • In game seasonal events should have small 1-of off-shoots. Even if this implementation becomes incredibly formulaic, it would still impress new players for long enough. The loot could still be PvE-wide, with the small-crafted narrative explaining why the lootable cards for this season are invading Enrath being the added content.
      • The tutorial should be rewritten significantly and take into account all aspects of the game led by a PvE character but is not fundamentally part of the campaign.
        • Start with some of the client navigation basics
        • Talk about what it means to have a collection and build decks in the first place
        • Mention all the ways that players can acquire cards, including game content types, the AH, and store purchase
        • Tell the player about all the other cool things they can acquire (dust, sleeves, chests, etc). End with mercenaries and equipment as a segue to the campaign
        • A quick background of the campaign story. A very brief explanation that you will be building and leveling a character and fighting an epic story battle. Mention this is where new players typically begin their journey. The back to the main screen, highlight the main navigation buttons and end with "How will your story begin"
        • The above is an example of a "new to the genre" tutorial option, a much more savvy direction to the same game components for a "TCG's are awesome" tutorial option, and as always, a "Skip" option.
        • Each game system, campaign included, would have a separate, more detailed character-driven tutorial offered to new players or access via-demand
        • Ideally they would all be voiced-over with a mute/skip option for each one. IE single click mute, double-click advance to next talk bubble.
      Not only would most of those changes make the game a lot better for new players, I would sure as heck enjoy it a lot more than the current path we're on and I been here since take-a-work-day-off-to-fail-connect-day-1 of alpha. And none of those things include releasing another adventure zone. Again, I'm not say I don't like the AZs, I really like them a lot, and I think at some point there should be a 3rd and maybe even a 4th if things really take off in a few years, but its just gotta be behind a lot of other stuff. Hell, I'd say its even behind just straight up improving some of the existing AZ 1&2 quality to be even better.

Well, a lot of that was supposed to be in my weekend "Hex: State of Future" thread that I maybe, kinda, wasn't going to actually ever write... but I guess at least I just wrote some of it. =)

tl;dr Everything that we do to earn cards in this game is only worth doing for the simple concept that there are others that also want to do it. The more people that want to do it, the more secure and rewarding it is for everyone. AZ3, with everything else held constant, would do very little to improve the condition of new people wanting to play, ergo, its value is dubious to the continuation of any new content period.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Dekroma ().

• Dekroma, a bucket was created, dungeons, and it should, as we are told, be relatively easy to implement new ones. Why not just have rotating dungeons for the azs we currently have? It would add repeatability.

The fact is that future large scale pve content is on the back burner. My guess is set 11 may see it or they may say there will be no more pve. This is very sad and pvp people telling pve people this is the sad fact I guess is fine. But gee wiz waiting so long and being told wait longer doesnt work in 99.99 percent of games.

If hex wants to succeed long term they better be more casual friendly. The new rock league helps alot. This games distinguishing feature took a blow yesterday.
    • Warning! Incoming Wall of text... (this post contains hope and positivism, read at your own risks!)
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I see a lot of comments in this thread that completely disregard insights and explanation provided by HexEnt over the past few years. Granted, not everyone here has been around since Alpha. TL;DR - Lots of stuff happened. Just lumping it all into a one blanket statement that they could have easily generated more PVE content with whatever resources they had at the time is a very bad simplification of a very complex situation.

Regardless of any context though, we have to assume they always had honest and good intentions for the game. That their decisions where made towards what they believed was the best path for the game considering short, mid and long term alike.

Even more so now with the announcement of the Friday Night Hex and it's Rock format, HexEnt is showing that they are keeping up with their global plans. They have been saying for a while that with a bigger player base, they would be able to start introducing more "alternate" formats and they are doing just that... within weeks of the PS4 release mind you.

The game is progressing, the game is evolving. They have been hinting that they wanted a stable, thriving PVP scene before investing a bigger portion of their limited resources into figuring out PVE. Well, if the plan with the "other platforms" works as they think and that they continue to be able to deliver sets on time, you bet we will start seeing a lot more PVE related releases not too far off in the future.

Alternatively, Cory mentioned on a few occasions that they were not satisfied with the current design of PVE. We know very well most of its flaws. If you feel strongly about PVE and are really frustrated with the lack of content, make suggestions! Create content of your own! They are likely not deep enough in production so that their designs are all locked down. Voice your thoughts on what you would like the PVE experience of tomorrow to be. Create and simulate it even. Engage the community with your ideas. There is nothing better to convince a developer than to show them a working proof of concept of what you think the game should be!

We have every indications that not only Hex employees reads these forums, but Cory himself does. You got a voice. You want things to improve? Tell them how. Don't just say "realease a new AZ ASAP already!". Say how you would address the current issues, mention what improvements you would like to see in the game. We had a few very good posts like that recently and we need more. This is how we get to influence the game's development cycles, this is how we get to help making the game better.

More so, a game without a strong supporting community is nothing. If we just sit there being sad about what we don't have we are hurting the game. In the end, maybe you feel it is what the game and its developers deserves. And if you do, you should likely step out of it for a while.

I assure you thought that many like me don't share the same sentiment. Ever since we created the Wardens of Entrath, we have had on average 5 new users joining our discord per day. Tons of new players seeking help or just a welcoming and positive environment to engage with other Hex players. We already helped on boarding dozens of new players in and even saw many of them jumping into the frey right away helping other new players as they came in! Tons of great positive discussions on the game are happening and with this influx of new players, a great breath of fresh air alongside it.

I'm fairly confident that not too far in the future, you guys will see it as well. That is, if you decide to stick in here a bit longer!
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------
      [Blocked Image: http://wardens.hexcompendium.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/cropped-wardens-of-entraht-logo-tranparent.png]
      The Wardens of Entrath is a large, open to public community of Hex enthusiasts with a mission to help and support Hex players and content creators alike!

Find us on our Discord server or website!