Echoes of Lodegan- a fun Human Mage build

• Echoes of Lodegan- a fun Human Mage build

Hi all, just wanted to share my human mage deck in the form of a forum post! You may have seen the older version on the human mage contest, but the turbo PA deck inspired a new, stronger version of it:

Character: Human Mage

Talents:
      -unlock: knowledge is power
      -open mind
      -sp boon
      -spry
      -affinity: mages
      -secret knowledge
      -self knowledge
      -learn spell: magic barrier
      -sp buff
      -guardian golem

Cards:
      -6x sapphire shards
      -6x diamond shards
      -4x well of purpose
      -4x diamond ice
      -4x sapphire ice
      -4x heroic echo
      -3x captains parrot
      -3x morphology
      -4x tidal eddy
      -3x mass produce
      -3x king lodegan's call
      -3x lady devonshire
      -3x cyclone shaper
      -3x cosmic calling
      -3x angel of foresight
      -4x consult the talon

Equipment:
      -(optional) royal helm (would not recommend though, the diamond spirits are in general much better)
      -production template
      -heroes armor
      -mighty morphing gloves
      -steady eddy boots
      -Mim's staff

Mercs:
      -clatterclank
      -gax the sly roller (optional, can replace with another merc of your choice. He is used to reduce the cost of cards for quicker combos.)
      -corporal hadrien
      -spirit of the triumvirate

Strategy:

This deck focuses on replicating our troops to flood the board. Our MVP here is cyclone shaper who we replicate as much as possible early on in order to massively reduce cost of spells. We can replicate him via heroic echo and mass produce.

We use mobilize cards like consult the talon and cosmic calling to accelerate our combo super fast, and we can get these online super fast by starting off with our guardian golem as well as creating magic barriers to use for mobilize. We double down on value from these as defensive troops to protect us while setting up our combo as well.

Some cool notes about combos present in this deck:
      -you can mass produce lady devonshire, you can have replicas of unique troops. This makes our actions replicate an INSANE amount of times
      -you can cycle through your entire deck as early as turn 4, having some replicated cyclone shapers out and using tidal eddy to throw away hands that we do not need for massive draws
      -you can mass produce parrots to mass copy your next spell
      -for enemies with board wipes, consider copying some of your angels of foresight to provide refills of your board
      -this deck can go infinite with many replicas of lady devonshire!

I could go on forever about this build, but I will let you guys experiment with it! This isnt a farming deck, but its super fun and relatively fast for a combo deck. Have fun!
    • Sheltim wrote:

This looks like a lot of fun and I'm excited to try it out. However, I don't have any Cosmic Calling or Angel of Foresight and they're really expensive on the AH.

Are there any budget replacements for those two cards you'd recommend?
      For cosmic calling, I would recommend replacing them with arcane focuses. They are obviously a bit weaker because of the lack of mobilize synergy, but it does perform a similar role.

Hmmm, Angels of Foresight might be tough to replace, as they are a big draw engine and protection vs board wipe. But here are some things i would recomend:

for more defense:

-Freaky Fungus (2/1 draw and cost -2) - with helmet equip for recursion and defense
      -hardshell wizard (for some strong defense and a spare action to use)
      -silver talon adjucator for health gain and some draw, potentially
      -scallath, for draw and a blocker

for more draw, I would go for:

-thunderfield seer
      -lanupaw's sight

Finally, if you want more mage synergy, go for thunderfield elder.
    • After playing a bit with it for a couple GMG runs I think I got a fair grasp of the archetype and what it can accomplish.

First I'd say that the core of "Mage character + Heroic Echo + Cyclone Shaper + Mass Produce" is clearly in the category of "Things powerful enough to be considered top tier PVE archetypes". Really love the concept. Kudos for finding a way to make it work!

I had a lot of fun with the list and I know a lot of players would love the novel play style. So, before you read the next few paragraph of my comments make sure to run the OP's list first. His list is advertised as fun and it definitely is, and I would also add that it is very powerful!

It did however give me a few ideas. After a couple runs, I started to make iterations with the goal of pushing the core concept further. I wanted to see if I could make it more consistent and win faster. It really felt like the concept has a lot of potential. However, as it is often the case with such a process, it changes the original list in a significant way and the result quickly becomes something with a very different play style.

It also doesn't mean that my results shows a superior list either. Powerful casual lists are not meant to farm gold. To me, they are meant to be entertaining so I iterated towards a style that I personally like. I encourage everyone to do the same and you'll quickly find that you too will end up with a very unique take on the concept as well!

--------------------------------------------------------------
      Personal notes on my iteration process:

The characteristics I wanted to improve with my iterations were mainly regarding consistency and speed. It had trouble with the more aggressive opponents such as the second fight in the GMG dungeon and I wanted to make sure it could do it with good efficiency. It also felt that it was going for many "alternate" win conditions. It felt like a downside in this case since I immediately had the gut feeling that the core concept was strong enough not to need alternate win conditions to perform.

With that in mind, I started by removing King Lodegan's Call. It just felt like a way to get more troops on the board. We can easily get enough Cyclone Shaper with the "core" of the deck to kill them on our next swing when we "combo" off.

After a few tests I quickly switched to mono Sapphire. Made sure the build had access to Spectral Acorn, Arcane Focus and Bounty of the Magus. Also added two Archmage Wrenlocke. More so, since this is a combo deck, going for Dream Eagle over Morphology should be a default choice. I think Morphology makes sense when the deck aims at longer games and is less linear but I was able to get it to a state where it wouldn't be a problem anymore.

There is a formula in PVE for Sapphire right now: If you can draw "all the cards" while also being able to lower the cost of actions by at least -1, the strongest and fastest kill you can get is with Chronic Madness. Switching for the "madness" win condition instead, I have been able to get consistent kills on turn 4 and 5. The "combo" is still not guaranteed but when you combine 8 card starting hands with a free mulligan and turn 1 Champion power activation, your chances of finding all the pieces of the puzzle in any given games are very high.

My current iteration is by no mean what I would consider a "final" version but this what the deck looked like when I stopped my process (using the same talent configuration as OP):

TL;DR: If you havent played with this core concept yet, you should definitely try it!

The Wardens of Entrath is a large, open to public community of Hex enthusiasts with a mission to help and support Hex players and content creators alike!

Find us on our Discord server or website!
    • CoachFliperon wrote:

After playing a bit with it for a couple GMG runs I think I got a fair grasp of the archetype and what it can accomplish.

First I'd say that the core of "Mage character + Heroic Echo + Cyclone Shaper + Mass Produce" is clearly in the category of "Things powerful enough to be considered top tier PVE archetypes". Really love the concept. Kudos for finding a way to make it work!

I had a lot of fun with the list and I know a lot of players would love the novel play style. So, before you read the next few paragraph of my comments make sure to run the OP's list first. His list is advertised as fun and it definitely is, and I would also add that it is very powerful!

It did however give me a few ideas. After a couple runs, I started to make iterations with the goal of pushing the core concept further. I wanted to see if I could make it more consistent and win faster. It really felt like the concept has a lot of potential. However, as it is often the case with such a process, it changes the original list in a significant way and the result quickly becomes something with a very different play style.

It also doesn't mean that my results shows a superior list either. Powerful casual lists are not meant to farm gold. To me, they are meant to be entertaining so I iterated towards a style that I personally like. I encourage everyone to do the same and you'll quickly find that you too will end up with a very unique take on the concept as well!

Personal notes on my iteration process:

The characteristics I wanted to improve with my iterations were mainly regarding consistency and speed. It had trouble with the more aggressive opponents such as the second fight in the GMG dungeon and I wanted to make sure it could do it with good efficiency. It also felt that it was going for many "alternate" win conditions. It felt like a downside in this case since I immediately had the gut feeling that the core concept was strong enough not to need alternate win conditions to perform.

With that in mind, I started by removing King Lodegan's Call. It just felt like a way to get more troops on the board. We can easily get enough Cyclone Shaper with the "core" of the deck to kill them on our next swing when we "combo" off.

After a few tests I quickly switched to mono Sapphire. Made sure the build had access to Spectral Acorn, Arcane Focus and Bounty of the Magus. Also added two Archmage Wrenlocke. More so, since this is a combo deck, going for Dream Eagle over Morphology should be a default choice. I think Morphology makes sense when the deck aims at longer games and is less linear but I was able to get it to a state where it wouldn't be a problem anymore.

There is a formula in PVE for Sapphire right now: If you can draw "all the cards" while also being able to lower the cost of actions by at least -1, the strongest and fastest kill you can get is with Chronic Madness. Switching for the "madness" win condition instead, I have been able to get consistent kills on turn 4 and 5. The "combo" is still not guaranteed but when you combine 8 card starting hands with a free mulligan and turn 1 Champion power activation, your chances of finding all the pieces of the puzzle in any given games are very high.

My current iteration is by no mean what I would consider a "final" version but this what the deck looked like when I stopped my process (using the same talent configuration as OP):

TL;DR: If you havent played with this core concept yet, you should definitely try it!
      I am very glad you liked it! I do hope to see that this spawns another archetype, and I think this type of deck is a powerful contender for raids as they can go infinite.
    • I'm tuning a FRA ruby/sapphire deck based on this and so far it is having promising results! It uses runic upheaval to turn repeat draws into repeat kills. Ragefire is my recyclable escalate for the backup kill and removal. I took Wrenlockes out of mine because it killed me a couple of times. I'm going to throw a list to nicosharp in the next couple of days I hope to see if people want to test it.
    • Alright, folks. Here goes my first attempt at this archetype, FRA version instead of campaign.

tinyurl.com/ActionJohnny

I have tested it with the most thorough of unthoroughness. In 3 runs with this version, I have had 2 perfect runs and one 14-1 in which Elite Archon got the Horn challenge and crapped his hand turn one. The deck has four win conditions, though you'll likely never need them all:

1) Mass Produce a bunch of Shapers and smack face.
      2) Ragefire escalation, usually with the aid of Bounty of the Magus escalation
      3) Runic Upheaval triggers on cards. Oh the joys of flinging Consult the Talon for 7, and recycling Bounties for 3 to the face every cycle.
      4) Psychic Ascension. Boring, but it saves bacon sometimes.

Strategy wise: This deck is pretty well a straight combo. I tried out CoachFlip's version. A+ deck as always. God knows how many of his masterpieces I have in my collection. I like his better for campaign due to the depth of focus provided and burn being a harder backup kill when facing down, say, the Kraken. I find this one gets good depth from the added creature removal in the form of ragefire/upheaval.

I don't drop shaper unless I need it to start rolling this turn towards copies or I can copy it. If you have only the one shaper, getting it facefirst into removal is horrible and you tend to gas out quickly after that. It's fine to morph/ragefire/draw until you hit 6 and then drop an empowered shaper into a echo into an every action in your deck is now free.

Runic Upheaval damage can add up in 1s and 2s and 3s to the enemy face, but it is great for spot removal. An early cast lets your utility searching spells get rid of blockers and other pesky critters. With the equipment, it's a draw 2 runic that makes other cards deal damage. If that lands on one of your 8 escalate cards, then you have hugely recyclable damage.

Budgetary concerns: Feel free to add in more ices and nix the wells, or swap them for shards of innovation. Psychic ascension has determinably won me 1 game out of 45. Only 1 where I would have otherwise lost. It helped me get the lock on earlier, but it is NOT necessary. Feel free to drop it and some other cards for Dream Eagles w/ equip or Captain's Parrots. Parrots are amazing for that turn 3 double echo on shaper into almost every card being free.

Anyway, I have huge amounts of fun playing this deck. It takes time, it takes thought, it takes getting used to its curves so you can pilot it for optimal return, but it's a good go. It pays to take a terrormill break sometimes. I hope some of you enjoy. Most of all, thanks to Airtron for inspiring this and for Coach reminding me that the (for this archetype at least) bombastic Bounty of the Magus exists.

Champion: Dreaming Fox
      Troops
      4x Cyclone Shaper
      Spells
      4x Heroic Echo
      2x Psychic Ascension
      4x Morphology
      4x Ragefire
      4x Bounty of the Magus
      3x Mass Produce
      4x Tidal Eddy
      4x Runic Upheaval