Idea to lower the "FeelBad" of facing higher ranked players

• Utremeld wrote:

ReluxTheRelux wrote:

PS4 doesn't have chat, so there is no way to communicate with a PS4 opponent.
      PS4 players are saints for putting up with Card Clash I fucking swear...
      It seems like there were a few hitches with the PS4 release, but the lack of chat is not one of them. If anything I wish I could disable the in game chat on the PC client that is mostly used for people to salt.
    • @JeffHoogland You keep forgeting to specify that you mean you'd like for chat to be disabled during the actual match (even though you've occasionaly used it yourself).

The chat is essential to the game as a whole.

Now, I do see the appeal of having a way ourselves to remove ourselves from sending/receiving chat messages for any period we want (something like "Turn chat On/Off"). People sometimes just don't want to talk. I respect wanting silence.
    • I believe that when players from very different ranks meet in ranked, the system should reward the lower rank player for win but not punish the higher rank player for lose, what the system does now seems to be the exact opposite -- players below cosmic rank gain the same amount of stars no matter the opponent, while cosmic rank players gain less/lose more rank when facing lower rank players (unconfirmed but from experience I guess that's the case)
    • JeffHoogland wrote:

It really isn't.
      It is. Not everyone reads the news, but they still need to learn about it. When there are questions about rules, they are posted in there first instead of the forums, which would have a waiting time for the answer that could be days. When there are technical issues, the NOBLEs are asked. When there is tournaments up and people are not aware. Or when there's server maintenance. Or when people are looking to fire the draft queue, or looking for an opponent. Or when people are looking to trade.
    • JeffHoogland wrote:

Vroengard wrote:

even though you've occasionaly used it yourself
      Very rarely I respond using it. Would literally never use it during a game if it didn't pop up an annoying red number.

Vroengard wrote:

The chat is essential to the game as a whole.
      It really isn't.
      You may not use the actual client chat during games a lot (though I've seen you do it on numerous occasions when you're playing against someone you know) but you do have an actual chat on the Twitch stream while you're playing so i'm sure that you'll agree that some form of communication about the game at hand is at least important to people and can certainly enhance the experience. It may not be technically essential but neither are things like artwork, sleeves, battleboards, etc.

I also don't think it's mostly used to salt by players. I think that is just one of the ways it is used.
      "Ignorant beliefs are stains upon the mind."
    • Vroengard wrote:

It is. Not everyone reads the news, but they still need to learn about it. When there are questions about rules, they are posted in there first instead of the forums, which would have a waiting time for the answer that could be days. When there are technical issues, the NOBLEs are asked. When there is tournaments up and people are not aware. Or when there's server maintenance. Or when people are looking to fire the draft queue, or looking for an opponent. Or when people are looking to trade.
      No it isn't. The definition of essential is:

absolutely necessary; extremely important.

Some people use chat and find it useful yes. I never said that some people don't use it. What I said was I personally, and many others, have no need or desire for in game chat. Something that some people like is by definition not essential.
    • JeffHoogland wrote:

Utremeld wrote:

ReluxTheRelux wrote:

PS4 doesn't have chat, so there is no way to communicate with a PS4 opponent.
      PS4 players are saints for putting up with Card Clash I fucking swear...
      It seems like there were a few hitches with the PS4 release, but the lack of chat is not one of them. If anything I wish I could disable the in game chat on the PC client that is mostly used for people to salt.

I faced a player who didn't know empowering their in hand cyclone shapers would protect them from my herofall on their normal shaper in play, so used chat to let him know. Yes there are toxic people, but there are enough good people that can help new players to make it worth keeping.
    • If we lost chat during a match I really would not be upset. Yes there are times when a very nice person makes jokes or wants to start a good conversation. But those times are few and far between. I would imagine tablet support wont have it either.

I am fine either way on this issue though.

Edit the helping a new player argument is a strong one.
    • Pandaemonium wrote:

If we lost chat during a match I really would not be upset. Yes there are times when a very nice person makes jokes or wants to start a good conversation. But those times are few and far between. I would imagine tablet support wont have it either.

I am fine either way on this issue though.

Edit the helping a new player argument is a strong one.
      Tablet will most likely have it since the only reason PS4 doesn't have it yet is the fact that HEX's current chat system isn't meeting Sony's standards. (As confirmed by Cory in his interview yesterday.)
      "Ignorant beliefs are stains upon the mind."
    • AnomalyCobra wrote:

i get frustrated when players don't at least say hello. We are human beings, we could try to act like one... if i wanted a silent opponent i would play the AI.

Too many players are anti social, drives me crazy
      i used to greet people, but decided not to eventually, especially when you don't get a response in 50%+ cases
      i barely reply for years now because i usually play with right hand (mouse + numpads instead of f*) leaned back in the chair

btw, when i want to socialize, i use messengers, not in-game chats
    • AnomalyCobra wrote:

current deck -

Shards
      2 blood ice
      11 blood shard
      11 sapphire shard

I'll upgrade more to ices when i get more gold

Troops
      4 Dread Botanist
      4 Skittering Cultivator
      2 Webborn Apostate
      2 Death's Head Rider
      2 Dread Apprentice
      3 Vilefang Eremite
      1 Merciless Culler
      2 Webspinner Prelate

Culler is filler for 4th Eremite

Actions
      4 Arcane Focus
      4 Strangle
      4 Consult The Talon
      2 Dark of Night
      2 Runic Decay

2 Runic Decay fillers for 2 Apostates
      Ok... and how exactly does this have a chance vs the t1 decks? You'll be lucky to get a single attack in with your Skittering Cultivators... you can't expect to be consulting them every turn.

edit: nvm, foudn on pvptools, looks like you only vs'd janky stuff as well. I'd be interested to know how you go, and what changes you make on the way to cosmic. I don't see how it will stand up to haraza/turbo pa/etc, but I'd love to be proven wrong
    • I've actually beaten turbo ascension twice already. This is why i don't post decklists usually. Most of the time i don't even need the cultivators, yes they help accelerate but would probably be my 2nd cut in a upgraded version of this deck

In reality no it won't be tier 1 decks often but it will get you to cosmic. And by the time you hit cosmic you should have enough gold And packs to upgrade the deck to better handle them.

The post was edited 1 time, last by AnomalyCobra ().

• AnomalyCobra wrote:

I've actually beaten turbo ascension twice already. This is why i don't post decklists usually. Most of the time i don't even need the cultivators, yes they help accelerate but would probably be my 2nd cut in a upgraded version of this deck

In reality no it won't be tier 1 decks often but it will get you to cosmic. And by the time you hit cosmic you should have enough gold And packs to upgrade the deck to better handle them.
      Sure, but beating something twice doesn't mean you have a winning record vs it. I'm sorry if you felt I was attacking you, I'm not, I'm in an earnest search for a pauper to cosmic deck to help bringing in players from my social circles. Every time someone says budget, they mean it in MTG terms (ie like $50 = budget). I feel that having a deck on the yotul level from a while back is very good for the game. So I'm genuinely interested in your progress and the changes you make once you start facing the fully decked sockets/ardent/bride/etc decks, because they're all wide enough to absorb your tokens without even trying.
    • AnomalyCobra wrote:

i get frustrated when players don't at least say hello. We are human beings, we could try to act like one... if i wanted a silent opponent i would play the AI.

Too many players are anti social, drives me crazy
      I agree. It seems rude to me to not at least acknowledge your opponent at the start of a match. It's nice to be treated as more than a glorified AI. Cosmic players seem the worst for this.

Whenever someone starts a match of Hex with silence, I imagine going to a store for a Magic tournament and having an opponent sit across from me without saying a word.