Concrete steps to improve the new player experience

• Concrete steps to improve the new player experience

In all games there is a moment where the player says to themself, "Now what?"

a) The "now what" moment is too early in the player's experience. I LOVE and really can't emphasize this enough that there is more hand holding in the PS4 client than there is in PC (the PC could definitely use this too don't get me wrong). There absolutely needs to be heavy player funneling in a game like this, but there isn't even enough currently. The existing funneling process needs to be drawn out so that players are receiving a trickle of rewards as they are playing, and those rewards should not be just gold. It should be drawn out so that the exit point which currently exists ("go play ranked") is about 3-5 hours further in the experience.

Edit for clarity: On point A; rewards consisting of the ability to unlock all of the precons & unlock cards that directly / gradually improve each of those precons would be the primary carrot on a stick.

b) The "now what" moment is too abrupt. What part of being dumped into the ladder and then getting rekt is a good experience? The player goes abruptly from having fun to not having fun. Ideally there would be some sort of limited/sealed gameplay that new players get to experience. My suggestion would be a sealed deck game with ___# of sparklecap (name?) packs. Such a natural fit and it is a cognitive next step in what currently exists. Furthermore, and this is a big one, limited is the moneymaker for HEX... it doesn't make any sense to dump players strictly into constructed. Introducing it to them is important but it shouldn't be the only thing being introduced.

c) There is not really any in game answer to the "now what" question. This is an extension of point b but the cognitive gap between playing precon decks in the dueling pits and then jumping into ladder with that precon deck only to get your face melted is enormous. The mental hurdle of assimilating all of the cards/information to proceed from this point is too large to expect your average person to WANT to continue playing. It isn't clear what the player is working towards at this point. That last sentence is much less of an issue for an already dyed-in-the-wool TCG player but for everyone else it is enormous. (okay, maybe this step is less concrete)

I know that at the end of the day you need to push your product to market and no amount of hand-wringing about not being ready can change that, but PS4... actually honestly... the entire game in general should have never launched without a step b)

The post was edited 1 time, last by Funktion ().

• Constructed is a better format for new players than Limited because it's simpler. Limited forces you to deckbuild, whereas with Constructed the client can deckbuild for you (as it does already). Additionally, Limited in Hex is pay-per-game. If you lose playing Constructed it doesn't cost you anything.

They have the right general idea with HCC; it's just the implementation needs work. You're correct that the transition is too abrupt. They need more tiers of precon decks to bridge the gap between the current ones and real ladder decks.
    • Hex: Card Clash badly needs to equip the new players with more tenably entry-level competitive decks if it is going to retain people; you're going to get a lot of bounce-off attrition from people getting creamed with crappy decks when they go wandering into the queue and get slapped by constructed decks with actual plat put into them.
    • Mach wrote:

Additionally, Limited in Hex is pay-per-game. If you lose playing Constructed it doesn't cost you anything.
      Just to be clear... I was suggesting that they have a limited format with the sparklecap packs (which are just commons & attained through gold). There wouldn't be any "paid" entry as far as plat or actual packs goes.
    • New player limited, preferable EVO with those packs would be really cool. It would be completely uninteresting for seasoned players though, so would be reliant on a steady influx of new players. But then, there could be AI bots playing you if no humans were present, as the most important part of this limited format would probably be to learn deck building.
    • imo they should make pvp tournaments available with gold too, a suitable amount of gold ofc, but this might get more ppl to play/grind pve, get more ppl from pve to pvp, and gives more value to gold too - which also gives more power to the pve crowd - it has to be monitored ofc, but the upside is bigger than the downside (imo).
      Austrian Kickstarter & Slacker Backer
      -=] Dont mess with the bull, you gonna get the horn [=-
    • I gave a couple of suggestions on Reddit but I will also put them in here. This is also for the general game and not just the PS4 launch.

Introduce Trails

Miniature tutorial like puzzles that give a board state where the player has a turn or two to win. Introduce these each set so that players will become familiar with the sets. Give small amount of gold rewards for first time completion. These should include specific keyword puzzles so that players learn how card interactions work. Then later introduce advanced trials that are really in-depth Hex complexity puzzles that go into mechanics that are not otherwise described in this game. Such as Sacrifice not being intractable or the First In Last Out rule in terms of order....etc.

Commons / Uncommons Ladder

Instead of making players jump right into the fray into the Constructed Ladder where they are quickly met with T1 or T2 decks, how about making a separate Commons / Uncommons ladder to ease players into the game. Let a player obtain a Common/Uncommon pack as a reward for every X wins. This will let the player be introduced to all mechanics as well as giving them a taste of the game without having to spend any money. This will also give interest for players to list Uncommons / Commons on the AH so that players can compete.

Non-Locked Content

Players definitely do not like being gated and forced into a tutorial. This is mostly related to the PS4 version. I understand you could escape the Tutorial, but MANY would never even realize that. I couldn't even figure that out and I've been playing Hex since the start of Alpha. Tell the player that they can quit the tutorial and let them free roam and explore what the game has to offer. Gating the Battlegrounds off the bat is also a bit uneasy. What if players just wanted to go to the shop and buy whatever cards they wanted to and jump right into constructed? It took me about 40ish minutes before I was finally able to get into the Battlegrounds and play my first Constructed match. I understand you want the player to learn, but gating content is not the way. The Elf quest giver is a good enough ease in to allow players to learn if they want to. Gating the AH to sell cards at level 5 is completely fine. I have no problem with this.
    • my suggestion to improve new player experience in Ps4:

1/ offering a special "all standard commun cards bundle in four" for a "NEW PLAYER discount price of 1000 plat

2/ Open deckbuilding in the Duelling Pit with only commun and Unco standard legal cards (outsid premade decks that use 2 rares)

3/ Use Duelling Pit as a way to grind unco cards. (Every x win you get a 5 cards pack of unco only)

4/ at each new set release the store propose all commun cards of the lattest set for 500 plat. (

After that if they want to jump in the big pool they can do it... or not but they may have already paid a little for the fun they had.
    • Gregangel wrote:

my suggestion to improve new player experience in Ps4:

1/ offering a special "all standard commun cards bundle in four" for a "NEW PLAYER discount price of 1000 plat

2/ Open deckbuilding in the Duelling Pit with only commun and Unco standard legal cards (outsid premade decks that use 2 rares)

3/ Use Duelling Pit as a way to grind unco cards. (Every x win you get a 5 cards pack of unco only)

4/ at each new set release the store propose all commun cards of the lattest set for 500 plat. (

After that if they want to jump in the big pool they can do it... or not but they may have already paid a little for the fun they had.
      1. You really don't want to push bundles on new players. I feel like this will scare them away as this acts more as a Play To Play.
      2. Introducing a Commons / Uncommons only ladder I feel solves this issue in my above post. Sure the player gets to play with two extra rares, in Pit, but you rather players not be able to change the deck lists that were used as an introduction to Hex.
      3. Currently players receive 600 gold per win. I beieve this is enough since it costs I think 1,000 gold to purchase these packs from the store. So every 2 wins you are sure you can grab a commons / uncommons pack and then some.
      4. I think this would be bad for the economy. $5 for 1 of all Commons and Uncommons is not really a good deal. Especially at the start of set where there are chase commons and uncommons, you don't really want to introduce this method.
    • Piecetinker wrote:

1. You really don't want to push bundles on new players. I feel like this will scare them away as this acts more as a Play To Play.
      2. Introducing a Commons / Uncommons only ladder I feel solves this issue in my above post. Sure the player gets to play with two extra rares, in Pit, but you rather players not be able to change the deck lists that were used as an introduction to Hex.
      3. Currently players receive 600 gold per win. I beieve this is enough since it costs I think 1,000 gold to purchase these packs from the store. So every 2 wins you are sure you can grab a commons / uncommons pack and then some.
      4. I think this would be bad for the economy. $5 for 1 of all Commons and Uncommons is not really a good deal. Especially at the start of set where there are chase commons and uncommons, you don't really want to introduce this method.
      1. Hex should really stop to advertise the game as F2P especially on PS4 where PVE not there. It always lead to bad feedback from players who want a HS like game. So do not send misleading signal at the beguinning but one big, clear and honnest signal with this bundle.

3. Beside I do not suggest to get ride of the 600 gold per win and the 1 000 gold C/U packs for player not interrested by the bundle and who prefer the grind.

4. The economy of the game is really not about commun and unco : you already get free commun and unco in evo. commun and unco is such commun goods, they worth nothing and almost nobody bother to put them on sell, just some utopist newbies... and what I propose is $5 for 4 of all C/U... well maybe $10 I don't know, it was just an example.
    • Your #1 and #3 contradict themselves in a way.

I do not believe they even advertised Card Clash as a F2P game. I do not remember seeing any advertisements as such. Besides the game being "FREE" on the PlayStation Store to download....(even though the game is free to play for the most part).

Your statement about non-F2P and then giving more F2P methods with 600 gold per win and extra Commons / Uncommons packs is a bit misleading. This is what I meant by a contradiction.

The issue isn't there needs to be more Payment Markets in Hex. It's more of easing people into the game. You can easily throw in many Microtransactions into Hex, but no one would be slightly happy about that. Honestly, as a new player I would be overwhelmed by all these costs.
    • Piecetinker wrote:

Non-Locked Content

Players definitely do not like being gated and forced into a tutorial. This is mostly related to the PS4 version. I understand you could escape the Tutorial, but MANY would never even realize that. I couldn't even figure that out and I've been playing Hex since the start of Alpha. Tell the player that they can quit the tutorial and let them free roam and explore what the game has to offer. Gating the Battlegrounds off the bat is also a bit uneasy. What if players just wanted to go to the shop and buy whatever cards they wanted to and jump right into constructed? It took me about 40ish minutes before I was finally able to get into the Battlegrounds and play my first Constructed match. I understand you want the player to learn, but gating content is not the way. The Elf quest giver is a good enough ease in to allow players to learn if they want to. Gating the AH to sell cards at level 5 is completely fine. I have no problem with this.
      Your other stuff I am 100% on board with and I'm pretty sure that it is stuff that we've talked about on the tent at some point. I don't think adding another ladder is the right call precisely but having some sort of the support for that would be great.

As for the gating thing this is something I've been saying the game needed for a LONG time. As a veteran player it feels like it is getting in the way but it is ONLY because you're a veteran. Note, I haven't played first hand with the PS4 client yet but I will be in about an hour. The game can be really overwhelming for new players and having some sort of funneling so that they cover the bases is important. Removing the locks on content would be a step in the wrong direction.

The best solution would really be to have an entry survey when players create an account and it just has one question with 2-3 possible answers on how familiar they already are with Hex / TCG's. If they're already and expert than it skips them past some of the parts that would be boring for them. Pretty standard for many games out there right now (not just card games).
    • Funktion wrote:

Piecetinker wrote:

Non-Locked Content

Your other stuff I am 100% on board with and I'm pretty sure that it is stuff that we've talked about on the tent at some point. I don't think adding another ladder is the right call precisely but having some sort of the support for that would be great.
      As for the gating thing this is something I've been saying the game needed for a LONG time. As a veteran player it feels like it is getting in the way but it is ONLY because you're a veteran. Note, I haven't played first hand with the PS4 client yet but I will be in about an hour. The game can be really overwhelming for new players and having some sort of funneling so that they cover the bases is important. Removing the locks on content would be a step in the wrong direction.

The best solution would really be to have an entry survey when players create an account and it just has one question with 2-3 possible answers on how familiar they already are with Hex / TCG's. If they're already and expert than it skips them past some of the parts that would be boring for them. Pretty standard for many games out there right now (not just card games).
      Sure I agree with that.

It also may be true since I am a veteran player it seemed tedious. However, the Quest giver on the game gives you sort of a path to follow. But you also have to play 3 Duel Pit games, go through the tutorial, and then finally you can get cards to play around with and mess with your deck.

The questionnaire in game would be a great solution to that.