Brutally honest review: Hex Card Clash, Why does this game exist?

• Solid review, solid topic.

Sigh... I guess at least there doesn't appear to have been too much of a hype up to launch by Sony. Hopefully they have time to fix the major issues before a majority of players can make a first impression.

While the TCG design in this game has been and remains amazing, it still feels like you guys need a lot of help on the software design and implementation side. The coding vision, polish, and robust implementation all seem to be lacking when it matters most.

Aside from Cory's awesome emails, community and social involvement also needs tons of help... especially on a launch day... although again, maybe HXE kinda wants to ignore things until its in a better state, which, in itself, is kinda a sad state of affairs.

CZE was never a software company, it has been the thorn in its side from the beginning, and while a relatively large amount of progress has been made (not all visible), its still the thorn in its side now.

I hope this chopped-down version of the game combined with this initial buggy launch will be worth the work its taken despite the additional coding challenges the platform fragmentation will cause a clearly already overburdened coding team.

I really hope you guys can somehow get some really solid coding project management help.

Edited some needlessly inflammatory comments.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Dekroma ().

• A bit ridiculous to give such a damning fatal review just a mere hours after launch. They're going to fix out the issues in due time and address the problems PS4 players have as they have done for the PC version over the past few years. Meanwhile enjoy the best TCG ever released on a console (yes, even in its current version). The player onboarding has improved heaps from what I've seen with the objective as well as simplified deckbuilding interface.

As for why it exists, well not everyone has a high end PC. Cory said making the PS4 version wasn't too much extra work from the KS promise of a tablet version, so why not also fill a nice gap in the library of a 60m+ person playerbase console..
    • As Funcktion said on stream maybe I could have worded myself better, but I still think my points are valid. However I think calling my post and review ridiculous goes a bit far.
      We da Hexers on da struggle, we da Hexers on da grind. We gotta save Entrath and our pocketbooks at the same time!
    • Bootlace wrote:

As for why it exists, well not everyone has a high end PC. Cory said making the PS4 version wasn't too much extra work from the KS promise of a tablet version, so why not also fill a nice gap in the library of a 60m+ person playerbase console..
      it might not have taken a lot to make it but let's think about how much extra time will go into fixing console bugs on top of pc bugs
    • Bootlace wrote:

A bit ridiculous to give such a damning fatal review just a mere hours after launch. They're going to fix out the issues in due time and address the problems PS4 players have as they have done for the PC version over the past few years. Meanwhile enjoy the best TCG ever released on a console (yes, even in its current version). The player onboarding has improved heaps from what I've seen with the objective as well as simplified deckbuilding interface.

I'm sorry Bootlace, I really like you, and I agree that the game has grown a lot over the years... That said the "fix out the issues" followed by suggesting a TCG requires a "high-end PC" literally made me lol.

Also, it feels like hardcore sunshine pumping to qualify this launch as semi-botched at best. I have only seen negative impressions even from people that are very invested and dearly wanted the PS4 version to be a success. You only get the opportunity to make a first impression once, and in today's world with a F2P tag on your game, that could never be more true...

EDIT: Also the lack of an active social media presence on launch day is one of the most perplexing moves I've seen from HXE yet... well, at least since all the decisions surrounding the steam launch.
    • Bootlace wrote:

A bit ridiculous to give such a damning fatal review just a mere hours after launch. They're going to fix out the issues in due time and address the problems PS4 players have as they have done for the PC version over the past few years. Meanwhile enjoy the best TCG ever released on a console (yes, even in its current version). The player onboarding has improved heaps from what I've seen with the objective as well as simplified deckbuilding interface.

Most people generally will only play a F2P game for a couple hours, if that, before they make a decision on whether to continue, especially on launch day. Social media is by far a big weakness in HEXENT product and it is glaring currently. I would say the initial taste is by far the most deciding and having major issues launch day are not helpful.
    • I'm going to give them a Big out in that this is really the first actual TCG on Ps4 - not the first console TCG/CCG to exist but the closest thing we've ever seen to a proper card game on a real system.

That being said - it's a first step. First steps aren't usually graceful and I have hope they'll be taking strides in no time. It wasn't good, but if any company can get there it's Hex.

We are a bit spoiled, we have an Awesome client - that was developed on the systems it's played on. They did a lot of UI things Really right - they tried some UI stuff that might grow on me but initially I'm not for. They did create a way for non-KS players to have a second account of sorts and that's freaking awesome. Once there's an option to mail/trade with Ps4 accounts directly there's no part of me that won't be ecstatic that it is a thing, since missing the KS meant if I was a supporter of the game it literally takes me longer to load the game and my collection... not getting into that here but think that one over when you have the time.

I'm a huge fan of them expanding the game to other platforms, I'd be a bigger fan if they actually ported the game in it's entirety - there's too much interconnection between PvP and PvE that cutting out one fundamentally changes the game - if that change is for the better don't just do it in one place - and if it's worse... don't do it? I know it wasn't entirely their decision to cut PvE, it seems like so many assets are already in the Ps4 client for it that they just need scripts art assets and decklists to make it a thing. Art assets they already have, decklists they already have, and scripts they've already written. I know I wouldn't have stuck with Hex if all it offered was PvP. I can already do that, we have local tournaments daily for paper TCGs. I can't do that in my underwear but I really don't feel like that's the experience Hex was trying to offer :P Whatever it is that makes Hex a better option for me than a paper TCG, the Ps4 client doesn't offer. That's a problem - I'm not special, I'm just some jerk - and so are the Ps4 users.
    • Bootlace wrote:

What you said can be true but the thing is, many players have short attention span and since they are new, they are not going to stay in the game until you fix them. Launch day disaster has screwed many games, from mainstream(like No Man's Sky -- the dev actually tried their best to continue to work the game until today) to niche(like X:Rebirth) and not many survives the disaster. Some did, like Total War: Rome 2 but that's because Total War is just too huge of a game to go down with that. First impression is utterly important to a game's success in today's market, which is why you have players(including me) expressing their concern of this PS4 launch.
    • I would also posit that when it comes to console releases, there's no 'early access' / 'ongoing development' threshold the way that PC audiences have more-or-less become accustomed to--if a new player shows up and your game is busted on day one, odds are they're not tuning back in six months later when you insist that you fixed everything. As others have pointed out also, there are ubiquitous technical issues that still plague the PC version, whether it's just goofy but busted issues with particular cards (Grave Nibbler was busted for how many patches?) or more glaring issues.
    • Artifaction wrote:

First steps aren't usually graceful
      The concern I have is that it's rarely the people who make the 'non-graceful' first steps that profit from them. It's usually a case of someone making a first step, failing miserably, and then someone else stepping in, using those ideas, and releasing something successful... and I don't want to see that be the case for Hex.

Blackwood wrote:

Grave Nibbler was busted for how many patches
      Every single one since its release. It's STILL on the known issues list.

"Grave Nibbler
      • Inconsistently being buffed by effects like Soul Armaments, Command Tower, etc."
      Gamer. Streamer. Photographer. Writer. Anime Lover. Possessor of Stuffed Animals.

Also... I'm terrible at this game.
    • Raptos wrote:

However I think calling my post and review ridiculous goes a bit far.

I'd argue it probably doesn't go far enough. One of the main complaints you made was that there wasn't AH access when in fact there is. So you didn't even play long enough or read the release notes to see what features were and weren't here. You just wanted to complain about something.

Welcome to the internet I suppose.
    • I updated my post to say that there was an auction house Jeff. I just wanted to complain about something? Did you not read the part where I said I wanted to love Card clash? Who does read everything now?
      We da Hexers on da struggle, we da Hexers on da grind. We gotta save Entrath and our pocketbooks at the same time!
    • Fine - let's respond to your entire post:

Raptos wrote:

Like how the auction house allows you to get specific cards you need for your deck? Tough, the only way you're getting cards is through packs and collectors decks. This makes the packs feel like nothing more than loot boxes, in fact they're even worse than loot boxes because the only way you can get them is to buy them with plat, and with no AH or trade system YOU CAN ONLY GET THAT THROUGH REAL WORLD MONEY!
      Just flat out wrong. Good start.

Raptos wrote:

Liked having a campaign that let you go hog wild, and make entertaining and crazy game states? Sorry, no PVE for you unless you count the inanely liner, "dueling pit" consisting of One game matches, with what feels like starter decks.
      The PVE experience was disjointed and confusing to most new people looking to bridge Hex into PVP. It doesn't help you transition into playing against other people at all. The dueling pits are linear because they are holding the players hand to learn how to get from one part of the game to another. This is a plus for the PS4 release, not a minus. The new player experience on the PC is bad.

Raptos wrote:

Like chatting with your opponents, and player interaction? Sorry kiddo, you're literally on your own.
      I don't like chatting with my opponents. In fact I wish I could remove the chat on PC. It is mostly used for TCG players to salt off when they feel they got unlucky.

Raptos wrote:

As I said, this feels like a mobile game, and not even a very good one. It's stripped of everything that makes HEX fun, and I highly doubt it's going to pull in the users that HE thinks it will.
      It literally has everything Hex has on the PC for PVP. I get it - you like PVE. This is another post someone has made complaining PVP is getting attention while PVE isn't. It is missing one feature that makes the intro to the game confusing for people looking to bridge into PVP.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Dinotropia: Follow Forum Guidelines. ().

• RE: Game chat I agree with Jeff, I think in 4 years of matches I've only ever experienced it being used for either cursory 'gl hf' type exchanges, someone getting very salty (which is something I am definitely guilty of myself) or the occasional time where actual dialogue was due to both players commiserating because something ridiculously buggy was screwing with the match-up in progress and we were stuck chatting instead of playing.

At least personally, I've maybe twice ever had a situation where there was an impressive play and a brief discourse of chatting discussing it--the overwhelming majority of the time any chat that has surfaced beyond the 'gl hf' sort has been someone super peeved about how much they hate Yotul or how 'little skill' is required for a particular combo, etc.

Given that--and honestly how much of a pain in the ass typing out messages with a controller would be during a timed-turn match, it would only be a plus IMO if there just plain wasn't in-match chat on PS4.
    • JeffHoogland wrote:

The PVE experience was disjointed and confusing to most new people looking to bridge Hex into PVP. It doesn't help you transition into playing against other people at all. The dueling pits are linear because they are holding the players hand to learn how to get from one part of the game to another. This is a plus for the PS4 release, not a minus. The new player experience on the PC is bad.
      Yeah right, tell that to other card games out there - from Eternal to Pokemon TCG. All of them start players against the AI and I have seen no problem with those players' transition at all. Even if you check the negative Steam reviews, many of them liked the PvE part, so I fail to see how that is not a plus when it keeps players into the game longer than the PvP portion when they finally get there.

JeffHoogland wrote:

I don't like chatting with my opponents. In fact I wish I could remove the chat on PC. It is mostly used for TCG players to salt off when they feel they got unlucky.
      Match chat, sure. But you cannot deny that public chat(which is also player interaction, or player-to-Noble interaction) is helpful to the players. There are always questions asked, be it by veteran or newbies, and they get answers. PS4 players cannot even ask anything. Sure, you could argue that they can do their own research, but if the PC players prefer to ask before doing their own research, I don't see PS4 players approaching that differently.

JeffHoogland wrote:

It literally has everything Hex has on the PC for PVP. I get it - you like PVE. This is another post someone has made complaining PVP is getting attention while PVE isn't. It is missing one feature that makes the intro to the game confusing for people looking to bridge into PVP.
      By having both PvP and PvE, Hex can attract more players than just solely having PvP. Also, people who wants to PvP only or most of the time, are not going to care about the existence of PvE. Having PvE doesn't confuse people looking to bridge into PvP. PvP players can just easily ignore that part of the game, like I am sure many had done in the past, and dive into PvP directly. For instance, some players decided to play say, League of Legends or Counter-Strike slow so they play first against AI. That certainly did not stop my friend who just wanted to play with human to play with human the first second they boot that game up. They just went "Screw the AI, I want to play with human" and then they find the mode to play with human. AI/PVE is invisible to these kind of players and does not provide any confusion to them.
    • Salt Harpy once, Salt Harpy always.

But it's not because some harpies effectively purge some of their salt in the chat that it's all it is good for. I'd be very upset if the game chat disappeared. Many people know how to stay civil and enjoy the game. The obnoxious salty people are a minority from my experience.

I mean yeah i've known some guys who told me " you play mill ? fuck you, no skill, etc etc " but it's their problem, not mine.

And I've also encountered many people who just plain congratulate you when you did a great play, or some who take advantage from the chat to ask a question because they see that seemingly you have more experience, etc.

Let's not let a few harpies ruin a good communication tool for everyone else.
      Awaiting the Doomwalker's arrival in Entrath since the Beta.

" Honey, where's my chaos key ?
      - Have you searched in your chaos coat ?
      - Shoot I left it in the chaos car... "

... Still be waiting for a while it seems ...
    • Goliathus wrote:

Yeah right, tell that to other card games out there - from Eternal to Pokemon TCG. All of them start players against the AI and I have seen no problem with those players' transition at all. Even if you check the negative Steam reviews, many of them liked the PvE part, so I fail to see how that is not a plus when it keeps players into the game longer than the PvP portion when they finally get there.
      The PVE in these games is far more guided than the PVE is in Hex and the cards they give directly translate into PVP playable cards. If Hex's PVE was as guided as these I would agree it would be an asset to PVP.

But it isn't. It doesn't help you get relevant things and it leaves people confused with no idea where to go.