Brutally honest review: Hex Card Clash, Why does this game exist?

• Brutally honest review: Hex Card Clash, Why does this game exist?

I want to say right off the bat, I love HEX. I love what Hex Entertainment has created, and I think the community is one of the best community's I've ever seen in a game. I think HE has created a real gem of a card game, and I wish other card games would take a page out of HEX's book. That being said, the PS4 client is an absoulte sham.

This does not feel like a game that should be on PS4, this feels like a stripped down "fast action battle" game, that should be on the app store. This feels like the very worst of f2p games.

Like how the auction house allows you to get specific cards you need for your deck? Tough, the only way you're getting cards is through packs and collectors decks. This makes the packs feel like nothing more than loot boxes, in fact they're even worse than loot boxes because the only way you can get them is to buy them with plat, and with no AH or trade system YOU CAN ONLY GET THAT THROUGH REAL WORLD MONEY! (Update, apparently the AH is on the PS4 Client but I can't find it, I still feel that the packs feel a bit loot boxy though)
      Liked having a campaign that let you go hog wild, and make entertaining and crazy game states? Sorry, no PVE for you unless you count the inanely liner, "dueling pit" consisting of One game matches, with what feels like starter decks.
      Like chatting with your opponents, and player interaction? Sorry kiddo, you're literally on your own.

As I said, this feels like a mobile game, and not even a very good one. It's stripped of everything that makes HEX fun, and I highly doubt it's going to pull in the users that HE thinks it will.
      Not to mention, that no one actually asked for this, and despite it being delayed several weeks, it still has potentially game breaking bugs.
      Couple all of that together, and you have a game that has absolutely no reason to exist. It doesn't give the authentic HEX experience, it has no real sense of player interaction, and it feels like a stripped down mobile version, of an otherwise great game.

HEX Entertainment, I love you. I love the game and the world you've created, and I've put hundreds of hours, and a good deal of money into your game, and I don't regret any of it. However, I hate how you run this game. You spend so much time on features that no one asked for or wanted, and neglect the wants of your fan base. Quite a number of us want new PVE content, we want a more balanced format and better use of the ban/watch list. We want marketing campagins that will actually reach new players, instead of you throwing a dart at the wall, and hoping it lands on a new player base.

I don't know what your plans are for card clash, however if it doesn't get any better, I'm going to spend the plat I have and probably never touch the game again. I'm also seriously thinking of cashing out my collection on the PC, and not playing there as well. I want you to succeed, and I want to keep playing this game. However the way things are going, I can't see me spending a whole lot more time and money here.

Trust me, I take no joy in slamming card clash, In fact I wanted to love card clash. However there is nothing here to love. I do this out of love for your game, and because I think you truly have something special here.

Please don't take this as an insult, take this as a challenge to really knock the player bases socks off.

Score: 1/10. :(
      We da Hexers on da struggle, we da Hexers on da grind. We gotta save Entrath and our pocketbooks at the same time!

The post was edited 1 time, last by Raptos ().

• you can use the ah on ps4...but overall I remain very skeptic with this whole thing..I agree that this kind of game is not the natural fit for a console and I dont think that not being on console was one of the main reasons the game has not been as big as it could be
    • Can you? I didn't see an option. Unless that's unlocked by doing the intro thing, which I'm currently stuck on because I can't find someone to do ranked constructed with.
      We da Hexers on da struggle, we da Hexers on da grind. We gotta save Entrath and our pocketbooks at the same time!
    • Ok well I did not read half your taking in this and I'll answer the same thing I answered to others

1st. Your not the target audience . Why? Because you play on pc. They don't need PC people going to play PS 4. So if your not the audience who is ? The gamers that don't game on pc (. By the way , the only game I play on pc is hex. All other is Xbox and ps)

2nd. They did this because 1- not a lot of competition compar ed to tablet or phone 2nd to get the Japanese market 3rd. Big part of mobile was done at the same time which means the cost attributable to this was already going to happen anyway

Take point 1 as an important point cuz your not what they want
    • Portensio wrote:

Ok well I did not read half your taking in this and I'll answer the same thing I answered to others

1st. Your not the target audience . Why? Because you play on pc. They don't need PC people going to play PS 4. So if your not the audience who is ? The gamers that don't game on pc (. By the way , the only game I play on pc is hex. All other is Xbox and ps)

2nd. They did this because 1- not a lot of competition compar ed to tablet or phone 2nd to get the Japanese market 3rd. Big part of mobile was done at the same time which means the cost attributable to this was already going to happen anyway

I dont think this can be emphasized enough. Card clash is for the hardcore tcg player that wants to spend cash and not really mess around with a f2p experience. I would be really interested to see how many people they get with that business model.
    • Why it exists is completely obvious.

They need a cash injection, and it is far easier to:
      - port the game to ps4 (and tablet)
      than it is to:
      - fix their chat and AH systems,
      - add social systems (guilds/keeps/etc),
      - improve in game ui/qol, and
      - lower barrier of entry for f2p players

Sure, the second batch would actually bring the game up to "recommend to your friends, and they might actually stick around" status, but it is much much harder than just porting to ps4 and grabbing a few more whales from the console market (specifically Japan)
    • Pandaemonium wrote:

Portensio wrote:

Ok well I did not read half your taking in this and I'll answer the same thing I answered to others

I dont think this can be emphasized enough. Card clash is for the hardcore tcg player that wants to spend cash and not really mess around with a f2p experience. I would be really interested to see how many people they get with that business model.
      I can somewhat get where you're coming from, but here's my problem: Hex was never supposed to be an uber elite, hard core TCG, at least in my opinion. I have a feeling that new players are going to see this and say "wow this is rather PTW, If the PC version (the vastly superior version) is anything like this one, then I'd rather not play it. I feel it's going to alienate new players, instead of encourage them.
    • Metronomy wrote:

you can use the ah on ps4...but overall I remain very skeptic with this whole thing..I agree that this kind of game is not the natural fit for a console and I dont think that not being on console was one of the main reasons the game has not been as big as it could be
      It's not a full AH experience though, at least not so far. You can only buy at the lowest price and that's it. Not sure about selling.

Portensio wrote:

The thing is even hardcore TCG players need introduction and warm-up phase. Not many people just play a game for 30 minute and decide they will drop a lot of bucks to play this. Hex, IMO, can do better with a friendlier and longer "grace period".

As for the Japanese market, I am still skeptical but whatever. One thing I just thought up just now is, if they really want to attract hardcore players from Japan(or other Asian countries), then they need tournaments on Asia time zone. I checked out Homunculus, a Japanese player, he played in some tournaments in the past, did good results and I checked his leaderboard page too on HexPvPTools and found out he only play FiveShards Weekly recently. I assume it is because of timezone issues, Clash and Bash starts at midnight in Asia so Japanese cannot compete in tournament assuming they live like a regular Joe, and you need tournaments to attract the most hardcore crowd. And since this half on-topic, more tournaments in Europe-friendly time would be amazing too.

Also, if we are talking about hardcore card game, not even Yu-Gi-Oh, a big TCG brand in Japan did well with their hardcore-ish mobile YGO game. Their later-made casual YGO mobile game has more players. So I am skeptical on the appeal of hardcore TCG in the Japanese market. Also, look at the success of Shadowverse over there, it's not like they only care about hardcore card game so I don't see why we have to only attract the hardcores from there.
    • Portensio wrote:

This.

There are at least 20 millon PS Plus users (source: gamespot.com/articles/heres-ho…s-there-are/1100-6441361/). If only the 0.5% of them sticks with the game, that would be 10k new pvp users. And we're making numbers that we have 3k or 5k active users on the PvP constructed scene. Seems pretty good for me overall. And they're aiming to the asian population, which still can't access the game directly. (Just for reference: 0,5% is A LOT, but I believe it can be done since there's no other TCG or CCG on PS4).

Of course, to do this, the client must work accordingly (I heard that there were some bugs, this is a shame, but it can be fixed), the gameplay experience should be great and there should be QoL improvements to ensure this.

I understand the frustration for some users, even myself (I don't have a PS4). You see that Hex has been working months on something we can't really use, and if we can, it's a step backward to what we have on the PC client that we're used to. But the idea of this was to get new players. PS4 don't have card games, Sony is behind this (in theory) and marketing can be done at any time, not just on release. If this works, and I hope it does, we'll see more players over time.

Of course, this isn't straight forward: having a game like Hex in a console has it issues, and I believe that some UI criticism I've read is reasonable. And it has a "strange" economic model that for some users might be a no-no from the beginning. Being the first TCG game on PS4 will ensure that mistakes will be made. Over time, we will see an improvement on this behalf (hopefully!).
      Twitter: @Plotynus

ZonaHex.com - Un sitio en español sobre Hex! / A spanish site about Hex.
    • Goliathus wrote:

The thing is even hardcore TCG players need introduction and warm-up phase. Not many people just play a game for 30 minute and decide they will drop a lot of bucks to play this. Hex, IMO, can do better with a friendlier and longer "grace period".
      IMO, the dueling pits are a missed opportunity.

What if, rather than "mediocre draft"-tier starter decks, it offered a selection of tier 2-3 constructed decks that rotated every few weeks?

You wouldn't be able to take these decks into any of the rest of the game, so if you wanted to play on the ladder, or in a tourney, or against a friend, or play a deck that's not currently in the rotation, you'd still need to pony up for the cards, but it would provide a much better taste of where the game really shines.
    • I played a bit... controls are not what I was hoping. Feels very unresponsive... even worse than the pc currently.

Deck builder is... awkward at best. Perhaps if I get used to it it'll be okay. Don't know.
      Gamer. Streamer. Photographer. Writer. Anime Lover. Possessor of Stuffed Animals.

Also... I'm terrible at this game.
    • Thoom wrote:

Goliathus wrote:

IMO, the dueling pits are a missed opportunity.
      What if, rather than "mediocre draft"-tier starter decks, it offered a selection of tier 2-3 constructed decks that rotated every few weeks?

You wouldn't be able to take these decks into any of the rest of the game, so if you wanted to play on the ladder, or in a tourney, or against a friend, or play a deck that's not currently in the rotation, you'd still need to pony up for the cards, but it would provide a much better taste of where the game really shines.
      Abso-exact-freaking-lutely. Dueling Pits is like a free in-game marketing and demo tool for Hex. 5 decks are just so little. Hex Ent can made so many decks for FRA opponents, surely they can do a lot more for constructed? Dueling Pits with a lot more decks show the game to the new players without them having to a) know about the synergy and b) learning about proper deckbuilding. 5 boring decks aren't going to impress anyone. Say if we have 10-15 decks, most with some powerful synergy like Illuminate, Deathcry that are semi-competitive, then new players who are impressed by those decks would then try to check out more Illuminate and Deathcry cards, then they would maybe buy more cards. They would also instantly know "Ah, Illuminate" is a thing, and they interact like this. It would be like a free tutorial-practice-bout between new players before letting them go into the ladder.

Even if they learn Magic Duels a little bit(1 Planewalker limit there) and only put like say 1 Lady Violet Blightbark in the Deathcry deck, and maybe 1 Lumagoth and 1 Lady of Wax or whatever on the Illuminate deck. Both cheap and powerful in their respective archetype, then that would incentivize players to play more and let them have first hand preview on the coolness of this game.
    • Something definitely fees off/unintuitive when trying to select cards on the field. Feels like I always go to opponents champion first and I have to circle my way around to get on the field.

Also the default phase stop settings are completely terrible. ( I think this is also an issue with a fresh install of the PC client. ) I used my EVO ticket, my opponent attacked and it skipped the phase that would allow me to use a quick action prior to blocking... Not cool and someone new to this game will never know to fix that phase stop.