my suggestion to make big tournaments better. like clash and bash

• my suggestion to make big tournaments better. like clash and bash

The big tournaments like clash and bash i feel could be made a lot better if implemented to have them run over 2 or 3 days total time.

rather then play a match against same record all the time you would start search like a guantlet.

You would just play set # of matches. it don't matter how many you lose.

This would allow you to change deck if you made mistake and eliminate long waits in between matches providing a better environment for all who play them tournament and increace amount of players.

It probably would need to be set to search for oppenent's by win rate.

So if you are 5/1 maybe it would try and search for set amount of time for a 5/1 player. Then drop to 4/2 but maybe never lower then that.

And i understand total matches may need to be increaced. but playing them when you want without long waits would be worthe it by far.

this also might eliminate the tiebreaker which many of us hate.
    • This is not how tournaments work at all. There'd be huge downsides like

(1) Having tournaments overlap

(2) Impossible to cast

(3) Arranging for two free mornings / afternoons is harder than arranging one

(4) You should not be allowed to change decks in the same tournament

(5) It will naturally introduce a waiting queue, which is the absolute worse thing a tournament can have

(6) If everyone plays set # of matches and it doesn't matter how many you lose, then there is no cut to Top 8 and tiebrakers get even more important (I have no idea how you figure out that "this might also eliminate tiebrakers)

(7) You might even have to split prizes

(8) There will be long waits because not everyone participating in the tournament will log / queue at the same time. Also people that finish their matches early will ahve to wait, what, a day, for the tournament to end.

And more that I am missing..

I think that you need to read more into how tournaments are run and why, because what you're describing is a loose gauntlet event.
    • Vroengard wrote:

This is not how tournaments work at all. There'd be huge downsides like

(1) Having tournaments overlap

(2) Impossible to cast

(3) Arranging for two free mornings / afternoons is harder than arranging one

(4) You should not be allowed to change decks in the same tournament

(5) It will naturally introduce a waiting queue, which is the absolute worse thing a tournament can have

(6) If everyone plays set # of matches and it doesn't matter how many you lose, then there is no cut to Top 8 and tiebrakers get even more important (I have no idea how you figure out that "this might also eliminate tiebrakers)

(7) You might even have to split prizes

(8) There will be long waits because not everyone participating in the tournament will log / queue at the same time. Also people that finish their matches early will ahve to wait, what, a day, for the tournament to end.

And more that I am missing..

I think that you need to read more into how tournaments are run and why, because what you're describing is a loose gauntlet event.

(1) only 2 tournaments would overlap clash and bash but they could be ran over 2 days total

(2) no idea what you mean there

(3) you would play your matches any time you want during the time allowed for the tourney. So you might have 3 days or 2 days to finish tournement matches.

(4) changing decks could be kept as not allowed i was speeking only for sealed that way.

(5) waiting 30 minutes after i finish a match is a lot longer then the waiting que you speak of. plus increaced players would keep ques lower. unless your at the top ranks.

(6) exactly no top 8 tiebreaker neeeded. It would just have to be enough rounds you would get set # of matches you play. just like now. its 7 rounds. It would be more then that to reduce chance of tiebreaker. but probably not needed to run much longer.

So like bash would start on saturday yet and maybe end on monday. Clash would start on sunday and end on tuesday. them would be the only tournaments that receive change. They are the long ones. You would still have set time your allowed to enter it. but maybe instead something in a few hours, from start. IF it came down to there was a tie at the end of the tourney tiebreakers system would still have to be used also.
    • Negotiator wrote:

(1) only 2 tournaments would overlap clash and bash but they could be ran over 2 days total

(2) no idea what you mean there

(3) you would play your matches any time you want during the time allowed for the tourney. So you might have 3 days or 2 days to finish tournement matches.

(4) changing decks could be kept as not allowed i was speeking only for sealed that way.

(5) waiting 30 minutes after i finish a match is a lot longer then the waiting que you speak of. plus increaced players would keep ques lower. unless your at the top ranks.

(6) exactly no top 8 tiebreaker neeeded. It would just have to be enough rounds you would get set # of matches you play. just like now. its 7 rounds. It would be more then that to reduce chance of tiebreaker. but probably not needed to run much longer.

So like bash would start on saturday yet and maybe end on monday. Clash would start on sunday and end on tuesday. them would be the only tournaments that receive change. They are the long ones. You would still have set time your allowed to enter it. but maybe instead something in a few hours, from start. IF it came down to there was a tie at the end of the tourney tiebreakers system would still have to be used also.
      2. Casting, as in shoutcasting the matches on stream. The tournaments are not there just to let players compete and be happy about cashing out. They are also there to promote the game and create an e-sport out of it. Like any sport - e- or not-e- - you need both competitors and spectators. Without shoutcasting, there would be no audience and without audience there would be no e-sport. Bash usually yields 100-200 viewers in Twitch, which is a lot more than regular stream by Hex standard. And then you have CCS who also yields a fair share of people. By eliminating the possibility of casting, you would have eliminate one essence out of big tournaments.

4. You shouldn't be able to change deck in sealed any way, at least not in match 1.

5. I disagree. You see people complaining about slow queue time in draft? That's a format where every single player in the server can attend, yet it still takes a hell lot of time to get a 2-0 draft match going in the regular 777 draft. This is a tournament that usually gets around 100+ players at best, so pairing them up would take even longer in theory. Then you consider that those brackets go far more than 2-0(In draft, there are pairing only for 0-x, 1-x, 2-0; Clash, it's more than that so all the players are seperated wider than in draft), and the queueing time would be even longer.

6. How do you decide top 8 then? And how do top 8 gather for the final showdown?

----------------------------------------------------------

Your idea can be used to run a different type of tournament, I have no issue with that. I just don't think changing Bash and Clash into this is a good move.
    • /2 in regard to your casting they could still do that over the course of their matches as the play. The tournaments would last like 2 days max. so most would want there matches finished early.

4. what i meant for sealed changing deck is after match 1 like current gauntlet. but that could be not allowed.

5. You see people complaining about draft wait times because draft is tuff and not that many players doing it right now. You must forget this set has been out for quite some time and a lot of players left waiting for new content. More players allway's= faster que times. I think part of the problem over all with draft sealed and evolving guantlet is we have 1 to many options spreading out the player base for these tournament. I played this game since alpha beta and most who complain don't even relize what a long wait time can be. But i also seen times when like the game released drafts launched non stop.

6. It would have to be tested and it still could run a draft at set time for top 8 if needed. sometime after the tournament is over.