Do or Don't? - Informing PS4 players

• Do or Don't? - Informing PS4 players

(No names will be mentioned because doing so is frowned upon; keep it that way even if what I'm describing below rings a bell)

With the PS4 release being a done deal (check here), it's pretty much the existing veteran players trying to figure out ways to welcome anyone that might stumble upon the game in the new platform and preparing to provide help with pretty much anything (and with that, I'd I'd like to shamelessly remind everyone about this thread that is something we require in order to not get caught unawares by any PS4-version questions). And the discussions go on and on and on..

..until it was mentioned in via semi-official (but not really) way that (not verbatum) "We should not tell the PS4 players about PvE because it will make them feel bad and it is bad for the game"

Now, for context, the prequel that resulted to this answer was pretty much a "Your inferior client sucks, if you like this trial jump over to the PC version" so after a little consideration I'm gonna give the benefit of the doubt and say that the person speaking the first advice was thinking more a "Don't gloat / rub it in their faces" answer.

However, they didn't clarify and it does bring a huge issue on the table that I feel others are thinking as well: "Don't let PS4 players know that they are playing a -lite version".

Which, in all sincerety, is garbage.

We, above all, are gamers. There's very little respect for gamers from companies and the bigger the company the more prominent that becomes. We're a fractured community with little cohesion and short memories, which results in people getting fooled over and over and over again and companies getting in the clear and bolder each time. This is the general sentiment and only a small part of it applies in our case, but many gamers are not aware of what's going on (lack of information is part of the problem) and the kind of situation we live in.

Back to our specific case, I think that it's very dishonest and feeding this bad corporation attitude if we become accomplices in altering / hiding the truth. It might not seem that way since we (Hex players) are benefiting from it in the short term, but "we" (gamers) are doing a great disserving to ourselves by sending the message "Our playerbase will not care / defend our every decision".

(And again, I'm not saying that we should gloat or belittle the PS4 players, just to present them with the truth; It IS better to play the PC version compared to the PS4 version at release).

We may know little about the PS4 version, but it's not due to fault of our own, it's everything we've been presented with. There is no mail system, therefore player-to-player card trading. No gold<>platinum trading either. There is no browsing the AH so you're limited to information the "Quick Buy/Sell" system offers you (it may be 1%, it may be 99% but it will never be 100%). Last time I checked, from all Rare & Legendary cards posted in the AH, most weren't posted for Gold and even those that there were, only a small percentage of their total listings were for Gold, the rest were for platinum (and the Gold even had very disadvantageous ratio compared to the rest of the listings). We don't know much of the Dueling Pits, but it's surely not Campaign-level. And there's no syncing accounts.

Comparisons are inevitable. HXE knows this and they still chose it. They haven't swept that under a rug and they didn't ask any of us to do so either, so we shouldn't feel ashamed or feel the need to defend their choices or feel guilty. HXE will have to live with the consequences of their choices.

So if any PS4 player asks "Is there more PvE?" or "How can I go F2P?", the correct answer and the answer I'll be offering them is "If you like the game, scrub your account now before you sepnd more time/money and go on the PC version OR wait until they decide to implement more things / make changes". And it should be everyone's answer too.
    • Every ps4 player i know, have also pc for playing. So if someone decide he want only pvp he will stay on ps4, if someone will decide to test hex on pc becouse of pve he can do this, even he invested on ps4, sooner or later they will have mail feature.

Of course there will be ps4 players who might feel bad but you cannot help everyone. So I would just drop this topic abiut difference and stop doing so much noise about this.

Things are as they are and you cannot change this, HXE decided or even had to cut pve so we will see how it goes ... Dont try to predict something that is almost unpredictable.

Just be natural, if someone ask about pve just answer, answer as you feel, thats all
    • Going out of your way to point out that the game someone else is playing is not as "cool" as the game you are playing doesn't do the other player any favors. Most of those players will be finding out and enjoying Hex for the very first time, to take the edge off of their fun / excitement right off the bat is just a scumbag move.

Publicly and repeatedly telling the PS4 players that their game is subpar won't do them any favors and it is more likely to just drive them away and create a divide in the community. Privately telling someone who asks a question about pve or the PS4 client is totally different.

That said the people who do that sort of thing a) aren't likely to ever read this and b) aren't usually considerate of the consequences of their actions.
    • I'm more concerned about the consequences of not giving people the information to make the best investment of their money. If you don't tell them then they put money in the PS4 client that can't trade over and WHEN they find out about the PC (not if) you will lose that player as they realize they've been putting money into a locked off inferior product version. That's not good for anyone, more information is good and if it hurts HexEnt to not lie then HexEnt should never have put people in that position.
    • Utremeld wrote:

I'm more concerned about the consequences of not giving people the information to make the best investment of their money. If you don't tell them then they put money in the PS4 client that can't trade over and WHEN they find out about the PC (not if) you will lose that player as they realize they've been putting money into a locked off inferior product version. That's not good for anyone, more information is good and if it hurts HexEnt to not lie then HexEnt should never have put people in that position.
      not sure i understood you correctly, but they will have ah to trade, just no direct trade vua email at beginning.

Actualy it might be on the release, HXE had 2 more weeks to develop this.
    • DraXor wrote:

Utremeld wrote:

I'm more concerned about the consequences of not giving people the information to make the best investment of their money. If you don't tell them then they put money in the PS4 client that can't trade over and WHEN they find out about the PC (not if) you will lose that player as they realize they've been putting money into a locked off inferior product version. That's not good for anyone, more information is good and if it hurts HexEnt to not lie then HexEnt should never have put people in that position.
      not sure i understood you correctly, but they will have ah to trade, just no direct trade vua email at beginning.
      Actualy it might be on the release, HXE had 2 more weeks to develop this.
      you misunderstood me, I'm referring to the fact that any time and money invested in this client cannot transfer to the PC at the time of writing. Your level up rewards and your collection are stuck there.
    • I thought that would be our community secret! ;(

Okay, liberating PS4 players kept in dark is cool too. But we should prepare in case chat is not interoperable, bugs like this tend to happen. :evil:
      I suggest in such a case playing the following sequence of cards:

Refute
      Throwback
      Playtime
      Sweep Away
      Shackling Strands
      Take Wing
      Peek
      Entangling Webs

That should get the message across, and the best part is it is very inconspicuous and deniable, shoud authorities dislike our efforts.
    • I'm 100% going to tell people I know who might get interested in this game on PS4 that there is a PC version and the differences between the two. It's not to make anyone feel bad or point out they are playing on a lite version, it's more of a "if you enjoy this game you should also probably get the pc version". People playing on PS4 will get the free evo ticket once a month, that's a good enough incentive to have both clients.

There are also benefits of having two accounts.
    • I agree with everything said up to this point (though I'm still trying to decipher @GryphonGardens puzzle). Things are what they are and what we've made of them and denying that is the equivalent of burying our heads in the sand like ostriches.

Obviously going out of your way to tell people that their version suck is absolutely meaningless and gains nothing for noone.

Glad we are all on the same page on this.
    • We just have to say what the difference are without any value judgment because this is very subjective.

Personnaly I would not say ps4 version is a subar version of the game because I do so not care about the PVE I haven't done even one game in the FRA since its update.

We already knows some haters won't miss the opportunity to write everywhere the PS4 version is garbage. so we should not do the same

The post was edited 1 time, last by Gregangel ().

• Hevka wrote:

Unless PS$ players wont get chests from openening packs - they will soon find out that where is certain part of content they dont have access to.
      It's been confirmed that they don't get chests when they open packs (also means that when they buy packs from the Store or AH, they lose part of the value that is inherent in the price for the rest of us).

They will find out about it, though, anyway.
    • They are supposed to use Gold to buy singles / packs / stardust off the Auction House...

... if we actually start posting anything above Uncommon for Gold that is. I know that there are almost 0 good Legendary cards in the AH for Gold and about as many constructed-playable Rare cards.

And since they can't trade with us their Gold for Platinum, I suppose they are forced to either empty their wallets or buy stuff from the AH for gold and post them back for platinum. Though unless the above is rectified (nothing worthwhile is posted for Gold in the first place), I expect the lives of those that don't buy big amounts of platinum to be at least Purgatory-levels of awful.
    • Gregangel wrote:

We just have to say what the difference are without any value judgment because this is very subjective.

Personnaly I would not say ps4 version is a subar version of the game because I do so not care about the PVE I haven't done even one game in the FRA since its update.

We already knows some haters won't miss the opportunity to write everywhere the PS4 version is garbage. so we should not do the same
      There is nothing subjective about the fact that the PS4 version is a pared down version of the PC client that has lost two game modes and replaced them with one new one, while also cutting out everything related to the PvE segment of the game which is a massive loss. If you wouldn't say the PS4 is a "subpar version" then you're delusional, lying, or don't understand English.
    • Vroengard wrote:

Hevka wrote:

Unless PS$ players wont get chests from openening packs - they will soon find out that where is certain part of content they dont have access to.
      It's been confirmed that they don't get chests when they open packs (also means that when they buy packs from the Store or AH, they lose part of the value that is inherent in the price for the rest of us).
      They will find out about it, though, anyway.
      That's so messed up :/
    • Steric wrote:

Hevka wrote:

I believe it was mentioned somewhere that PS4 players will get gold from their packs instead of getting chests.
      They get 2000 gold instead, which I wouldn't take in exchange for a chest any day personally and I doubt most people would.
    • Utremeld wrote:

Steric wrote:

Hevka wrote:

I believe it was mentioned somewhere that PS4 players will get gold from their packs instead of getting chests.
      They get 2000 gold instead, which I wouldn't take in exchange for a chest any day personally and I doubt most people would.
      Well, people sell common chests around 9p and uncommon chests at around half that value. Not sure how much rare and legendary chests usually go for, but 2000 gold isn't that far from the average value of chests.
    • Steric wrote:

people sell common chests around 9p
      And people buy them (or, rather, when you buy a chest you don't exactly buy just the chest, you buy whatever's inside + the opportunity to roll at WoF) for 9 platinum + 1,200 Gold (the cost of a single spin) = ~14.5p (or 3,180 gold). Because the most common reason to buy a chest is to either spin it (the other is to sell it for a higher price).

(As for UC chests, you actually buy the insides + WOF roll for a higher price, as it's 4.5plat (haven't checked myself but assume you're right that UC is C/2) + 3,100 Gold = ~ 18.5 (or ~4,100 gold))