Bash Bests - Free Cards, Free Wins

• Piecetinker wrote:

Also to note Purify is also a decent counter to the deck. Magistrate on D or S plays the role well, but Purify can be an additional option to knock out Escalation from Light the Votives. Or if PA is still it the deck can revert it back to a 25 cost.
      Agreed this cards seems very good. Shame it's symmetric so you can't play it in the mirror.

MealyMouth wrote:

As someone who doesn't give a damn about constructed, this is probably the best written article I have ever read on the site.

Very impressed with the amount of effort and thoroughness shown here, great job.
      Thanks man, that means a ton! Expect to see more stuff from me for sure.
    • can't help but think that the devs really screwed up the balance if this is the type of shard base that's necessary to be competitive

that tends to make match results decided by mulligans & opening draws instead of any actual cards or interactions

looks like hex ended up on the wrong side of both parts of the resource system. the resources themselves are very weak while the cost reduction mechanics (being able to use endless amounts of colored mana per turn) are very strong
    • Biz wrote:

can't help but think that the devs really screwed up the balance if this is the type of shard base that's necessary to be competitive

that tends to make match results decided by mulligans & opening draws instead of any actual cards or interactions
      Why is this shard base bad? If anything it raises the skill cap by allowing you to keep a wide range of hands and rewarding you for mulliganning bad ones.

The post was edited 1 time, last by JeffHoogland ().

• I've played a few matches with this deck and I'm liking it a lot. It's very powerful once you start to combo off and you can swing games at your favor in one turn. However, is not an easy deck to pilot. Take some bad decisions (including the hand you keep) in the early turns and you won't have the means to go off with Cyclone Shaper and the cantrips. (I can live with that, I like the decks that rewards me for playing well, it forces me to improve).

I'm playing the version with Trial of Totems, and I agree that it can be a clunky card, but instead of more runebinds/evaporate, I'm thinking if adding some Theorize won't help the deck to have more drawing gas to start the combo.

Really good article Bob, I've enjoyed reading it!
      Twitter: @Plotynus

ZonaHex.com - Un sitio en español sobre Hex! / A spanish site about Hex.
    • JeffHoogland wrote:

Biz wrote:

can't help but think that the devs really screwed up the balance if this is the type of shard base that's necessary to be competitive

Why is this shard base bad? If anything it raises the skill cap by allowing you to keep a wide range of hands and rewarding you for mulliganning bad ones.
      polarized outcomes (either extremely good or extremely bad) reduce skill and eliminate balance/fun

4 wells out of 18 shards
      4 guidance with 8 diamond sources

i haven't tuned the deck. i'm assuming others have.
      if this high-risk high-reward build is the optimal configuration for constructed play, the most important thing is whether the greedy deck gets rewarded or gets punished instead of any actual interaction between opposing players/cards.

and i'm not even saying that it's bad deckbuilding. it could be the best list for all i know. just the game has shitty resources and this is the rng shitfest that results
    • Biz wrote:

polarized outcomes (either extremely good or extremely bad) reduce skill and eliminate balance/fun

4 wells out of 18 shards

if this high-risk high-reward build is the optimal configuration for constructed play, the most important thing is whether the greedy deck gets rewarded or gets punished instead of any actual interaction between opposing players/cards.

and i'm not even saying that it's bad deckbuilding. it could be the best list for all i know. just the game has shitty resources and this is the rng shitfest that results
      This deck actually introduces a skill that a lot of decks don't have - educated mulligan decisions. Did you read what Bob wrote? The way the resource base is constructed contributes to the decisions you make and lets you make educated mulligan decisions. This isn't the removal of skill - it adds it.

Ice smoothing out draws add an unreal amount of skill to a game like Hex. They give you a lot of room to make good decisions as well as hang yourself. It is fairly far from an "RNG fest". Not only did Bob and I both top 8 with 74/75 cards, another teammate of ours finished 5/2 in the same event. The deck is very consistent. Probably the lowest variance deck in Hex's current constructed format if you can play it well.
    • New

Biz wrote:

JeffHoogland wrote:

Biz wrote:

4 wells out of 18 shards

I'd recommend playing the deck before commenting on the riskiness of it's manabase. I'm the guy who played 24 shards in mono ruby because of how much I value hitting my resource drops. Almost every spell in this deck draws more cards and there isn't anything in the deck that costs more than 3 resources outside of PA. I would say this deck is the lowest variance of any deck I have played in hex up until this point simply because you have so much velocity and filtering that you can implement the same gameplan every game. This is compared to decks like say Kagu that really want to hit their first 5-7 resource drops, and have to rely on cards like cottontail to get them there.
    • New

Biz wrote:

JeffHoogland wrote:

Biz wrote:

4 wells out of 18 shards

It sounds like you're underestimating how powerful fateweave is. This deck features 8 ice combined with 4 guidance with 4 arcane focus on top. It's not high-risk high-reward because the shuffling algorithm cuts out the bottom 10% shard-lightest hands and ice combined with guidance gives an incredible amount of consistency.

The reality is the exact opposite of "shitty resources." Ice is so insanely powerful that they let you do absurd things like this. One diamond Ice + one guidance and 5 other random cards guarantees you your first 3 shard drops, and either double sapphire threshold or another fateweave by turn 3, even though your keep only has 1 shard in it.
    • New

i'm saying these types of resources are shitty for the gameplay, not that whoever built this deck picked the wrong ones to include in the list

the way the devs implemented the shuffling algorithm was flawed. they biased the hands towards having more resources than they deserve, so low-shard decks seeing a disproportionate amount of consistency gains is the natural result of that

every deck would run less shards and more cards if they could skew the resources towards the front of the deck in order to get away with it. now we've seen a deck that can get away with it (with some risk)

and it turns out that all it does is frontload the variance, which is the worst place for it

other than the opening hand being a crapshoot, the deck just does the same thing every time. it barely even matters what gets played (other than cyclone shaper if speed is relevant). the deciding factor is just whether or not the ascension player gets the right combination of thresholds
    • New

Biz wrote:

i'm saying these types of resources are shitty for the gameplay, not that whoever built this deck picked the wrong ones to include in the list

the way the devs implemented the shuffling algorithm was flawed. they biased the hands towards having more resources than they deserve, so low-shard decks seeing a disproportionate amount of consistency gains is the natural result of tha
      Every deck gets the same amount of consistency - that is how math works and why trimming a percentage of the resource light hands is genius. This isn't some lazy system like Eternal uses where you automatically get X resources in your opener. You play less resources you still see more resource light hands than someone who isn't.

Biz wrote:

every deck would run less shards and more cards if they could skew the resources towards the front of the deck in order to get away with it. now we've seen a deck that can get away with it (with some risk)
      Except we didn't. We had the resource algorithm change for a long time and it didn't skew everyone to play less shards. The thing that has people playing less shards (and rightfully so) is fateweave which is an awesome variance reducing mechanic that has actual nothing to do with the opening hand algorithm change.

You sound like you don't like this deck - which is fine - enjoying a deck is subjective. Please don't go around posting things that are just factually incorrect like the opening hand algorithm changing how people built their resource bases.