HPT Leaderboard

• HPT Leaderboard

The HPT Leaderboard is up!

The HPT leaderboard is a ranking system for Hex players that partipate in various major and minor tournaments. It is loosely based on the ATP scoring system. Different tournaments have different point values. A player's score is the sum of all the points that player accumulated in tournaments over the past year.

Major tournaments award more points while minor ones award fewer, but still some. Players can either grind the frequent minor tournaments to climb up the rankings, or win a few major ones to get placed at the top.

All the details are displayed in the FAQ over at Hex PvP Tools.
    • Norwind wrote:

Looks great. But it's it possible to better show your own rating if you're logged in?
      I have plans to have players have the ability to modify their profiles at some point (avatar, bio and such), but I need to get a verification system in place first. In the current sign-up procedure, anyone could claim being any player. It doesn't matter for now because none of the logged in features have a public visibility, but when we start going there, I can't have anyone pretending to be anyone.

Plotynus wrote:

This is great! and should be in the main forum for more visibility.
      Fansite section of the forums is the place to post shameless links to fansites. I'm not one to break the rules. Feel free to promote it elsewhere though ;)

Plotynus wrote:

(Man, my position sucks, I have to play more tournaments)
      You don't necessarily need to play *more* tournaments, you simply need to win those that you play in :P
    • Great Job ! Bullseye. It is what I always dream about for the game.

As discuss in private with Fred, the initial idea was that I stop updating the Clash and Bash lezderboards as soon as what Fred was working on became live.
      The initial plan of Fred has evolved during the process so I think this awesome new tool and my leaderboard do not fulfil the same purpose.
      So as discuss with Fred in private I will keep updating these Clash and Bash leaderboards, more so now that thanks to Norwind the process is very quick.

But @Fred and @Norwind, I think the script Norwind built I am using may deserved a place on hexpvptool , as a complement to this HTP leaderboard with maybe just some tweaks on the points system.
      Maybe a good idea to discuss about it.
    • Will Immortal Weekly be added to the tournaments giving point ? How many points ?

I think HexPrimal Immortal Championship should be on the same level than Clash and Bash.
      And Immortal weekly should be at the current HexPrimal Immortal Championship level.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Gregangel ().

• I feel like that points distributed should be based on tournament attendance rather than strictly a function of type of tournament. I found it to be super weird that a 186 person immortal championship is half the points of a 72 person weekly bash. I realize that this only means more work for you Fred, but I am hoping you could implement this eventually.
    • BirthingPodder wrote:

I feel like that points distributed should be based on tournament attendance rather than strictly a function of type of tournament. I found it to be super weird that a 186 person immortal championship is half the points of a 72 person weekly bash. I realize that this only means more work for you Fred, but I am hoping you could implement this eventually.
      The free events in Hex are always larger. This event was only so large because it had no entry fee.
    • JeffHoogland wrote:

BirthingPodder wrote:

I feel like that points distributed should be based on tournament attendance rather than strictly a function of type of tournament. I found it to be super weird that a 186 person immortal championship is half the points of a 72 person weekly bash. I realize that this only means more work for you Fred, but I am hoping you could implement this eventually.
      The free events in Hex are always larger. This event was only so large because it had no entry fee.
      Sure...but how is that a rebuke to what birthingpodder suggested?

That being said this would only be something that should be done if Fred really feels like its worth it to him. Scaling points for scaling attendance does make sense imo but also means extra work for something he doesnt get any pay for.
    • Metronomy wrote:

Sure...but how is that a rebuke to what birthingpodder suggested?

That being said this would only be something that should be done if Fred really feels like its worth it to him. Scaling points for scaling attendance does make sense imo but also means extra work for something he doesnt get any pay for.
      Sorry - I should have elaborated more - this event is larger because there are people dropping after joining giving people byes and because there are players who would never pay money to play an event which makes the average player quality worse. Many people will be less invested in something they didn't pay an entry fee for so they will be more willing to play while distracted or just stop playing randomly (see players dropping at records for 4-1).

At the end of the day it doesn't really matter cause this "leader board" is just for fun, but the idea that more people = harder event is not strictly true because of factors like entry fee and such.
    • Point values are based on the competitiveness level, not on attendance. Highly competitive tournaments (e.g. CCS) are worth a lot more than less competitive tournaments (e.g. Arcanum Vault).

Since there is no objective way to measure the competitiveness level of a tournament, I use the prize pool as a measure of it, because bigger prize pools tend to attract better competitive players more (e.g. if a player has to choose between the CCS and the Bash, he will choose the CCS). Cold hard cash is also slightly more valuable than the equivalent value in in-game currency or store credit, which is why the CCS is worth more than the Platinum Plunder, and the Bash is worth more than the ICS.

And while this leaderboard is indeed "just for fun" (i.e. not officially sanctioned), I'm still trying to paint an accurate picture of the competitive scene, so feedback is always welcome.