Winner is the Judge: October 4 to 11th

• Winner is the Judge: October 4 to 11th

Well guys, I'm back for another WITJ contest hosting!!

The Rules:

Design a card (or possibly multiple cards) that meets the design constraint described below. The one that I like the best is the winner. You may submit multiple entries, but please be considerate of your fellow players and don't go too overboard. In the case of multiple entries, you will still receive one prize(per prize category) at most.

In addition to any listed prizes, the winner then creates a thread for the next round, creates a new design constraint, and the game continues.

Design Constraint:

I call this the 'Champion Recycling Challenge' - pick any champion in Hex and turn them into a PVP card. Sounds easy, right?

Well there're a few caveats:
      1) The champion's namesake card must retain the core thematic of the original champion.
      2) The Laziness clause: The card must NOT have the exact same ability as the champion. An exception MAY be considered if the champion's ability is very unique and you come up with a really creative way for that ability to manifest.
      3) The champion should manifest on the board in some way. Troops are the obvious answer, although a constant or artifact is a possibility as well, if handled creatively. An action that summons troops would work as well, provided one of the troops summoned in some form of the champion.

The Slash and Dash card is a really good example of how to do all of the above. Lionel was an aggressive champ, turning a fast threat into a game-ending threat by providing additional damage. Lionel the Slashing is still an aggressive card, but he does it in a different way.

In addition, Arcanyx posted comparisons of the PvE ones they've done in the past, which are relatively good examples as well - if occasionally a bit too similar to the original champion:

Arcanyx wrote:

As an example of what I assume Eraia is looking for, the Frost Ring has/had several examples of champions from the first set that became cards used by bosses in the arena:
      Poca, The Conflagrater vs. Poca, The Conflagrater
      Wyatt the Sapper vs. Wyatt the Sapper
      Monika'shin vs. Monika'shin
      Bertram Cragraven vs. Bertram Cragraven
      Kranok vs. Kranok
      Palamedes vs. Palamedes

Palamedes is probably a particularly good example. As a champion he just gave +1/+1, but as a card, he has an Inspire ability that gives out +1/+1. The champion power clearly inspired the card, but the card is more interesting than just having the champion ability.

Pretty simple, right? Well, get cracking!

Judging Criteria:

1) Thematics - The biggest thing I'm going for here is how well you maintain the theme of the original card without simply copying the effect. There's a LOT of room to be creative here, so have fun with it.
      2) Creativity - I really want to see you guys come up with innovative ways to maintain that theme.
      3) Balance - I'm hoping for PvP cards here, so keep an eye to balance.

Rewards:
      (I don't have access to my collection right now - writing this from work - will edit in the specific prizes later)
      As always, we're doing a variety of prizes here... unlocking based off of entry counts.

Wave 1
      1st Place: 1 Brilliant Tactician, 2 Wartorn Generals, and 4 Brutal Commanders - to celebrate your leadership!
      2nd Place: 2 Hatehollow Witches, 2 Cryptcurse Knights, and 4 Bitter Dreads - Because you were THIS CLOSE to winning
      3rd Place: 4 Dark Pact Demons and 1 Nameless Truths - to help you make the appropriate 'deals' to win next time

Wave 2 (unlocks at 5 unique entrants)
      Creativity Prizes:
      Pack 1: 2 Journey Into Nightmare, 1 Runic Diminishing, and 1 Holiday's Whim
      Pack 2: 2 Songsmythe Virtuoso and 2 Insidious Exchange
      The two most creative entries will get special prizes, regardless of other considerations.

Wave 3 (unlocks at 10 unique entrants)
      Set Focus - A prize will be added to the pool for the best entrant from each set. Any prizes from this section that aren't won(due to no champions from that set being picked) will be added to the 'door prizes' section.
      Set 1: 1 Malice Demon
      Set 2: 1 Droo's Unrelenting Fists
      Set 3: 1 Charge Colossus
      Set 4: 1 Mad Robomancer
      Set 5: 1 Dread Technomancer AA
      Set 6: 1 Intrepid Conjurer AA
      Set 7: 1 Enter the Ring

Wave 4(Unlocked at 15 unique entrants)
      If we happen to hit 15 unique entrants, I'll add two prizes for the redesigns of the champions I like the most(ie. prize based off of which champion you picked, not the card you made)
      Prize 1: 2 Zakiir's Whim and 2 Zakiir's Frenzy
      Prize 2: 2 Ardent Fellowships and 2 Llama Herder
      Special prize: If anyone uses my FAVOURITE champion of all as an inspiration... I've got a bonus thematic Legendary for you. Won't say which one, since it might spoil which champ that is... but this prize is there. :)

Door Prizes
      As always, when I host these contests... EVERY entry that I enjoy will get a thematic doorprize. So please, don't hesitate to enter, even if you don't think you'll win! You'll probably end up with a fun rare to play around with, regardless. And with all of these prizes, the more entries, the more stuff all will get.

Deadline:

The contest closes on October 11th at Noon CDT(GMT-6), so let's all get creative! And tell your friends - the more people who are involved, the more fun it is for everyone!!
      Gamer. Streamer. Photographer. Writer. Anime Lover. Possessor of Stuffed Animals.

Also... I'm terrible at this game.

The post was edited 4 times, last by Eraia ().

• As you might know from past entries I like Swampbutt, so here we go:

Hungry Hungry Swampbutt
      3 [RUBY] [RUBY]
      Unique-Constant

Whenever you play an action put a Swamp Gas into your deck.

„Me not fight, Me eat“

Maybe not the most creative of cards, but I would totally play it as it sounds like fun. (Espacially if you mill out yourself to get infinite damage)

Ive come up with a second card:

Grand Father Elk:

4 [WILD] [WILD]
      Unique troop - Coyotle Warlock (I think hes a Warlock)
      2/2
      Socketable Major

At the start of the game if this is in your deck, a random troop in your deck gets: +3 [ATTACK] /+3 [DEFENSE] and crush and „when this deals damage to champion revert this“

„From time to time everyone deserves my power“

The post was edited 3 times, last by nqumyf: changed it to Swampbutt now, not the most perfect solution but quite hilarious. Also I really wanted it to stay a constant. Added a second card now. ().

• Oh, neat contest.

Plagueroot the Hollow
      4 [WILD]
      Troop - Undead Zombie Plant, Unique
      At the beginning of your turn, other troops you control get "Deathcry - Summon a Blightblossom."
      2/4
      "Beware the Plaguehollow, where the blight grows faster than an army could ever cut back."

Therroz
      2 [SAPPHIRE]
      Troop - Vennen Warrior, Unique
      When an [UNDERWORLD] troop enters play under your control, that troop gets +1/+1 and a random boon.
      1/3
      "Therroz was known for whipping the Underworld's rank and file into killing machines."

The post was edited 1 time, last by faceremover: Added Therroz and some flavor text. ().

• Nin the Shadow.

Unique Necrotic

Quick troop

4 cost single sapphire threshold.

1/3 unblockable.

1-shot : 2, this gets spellshield this turn.

When a player plays a non ressource card, bury the top 2 cards of each opposing champion's deck.

> Quick because i personally think a shadow assassin like Nin has got to be. The one shot allows to use the real ability ( milling ) for 1 to two full turns if safe when played at the end of opp turn.

>> 1/3 unblockable because even if the damage is not the point, psychic torment shennanigan and other " when opp damaged effects ", or synergy with the blood cult champion.

A troop that will eventually win the game if protected, but otherwise will most of the time mill 2-8 cards before being removed or be forced to chump vs aggro decks.
      Awaiting the Doomwalker's arrival in Entrath since the Beta.

" Honey, where's my chaos key ?
      - Have you searched in your chaos coat ?
      - Shoot I left it in the chaos car... "

... Still be waiting for a while it seems ...

The post was edited 2 times, last by Olfff ().

• Had to study up, as I never play outside of Campaign, honestly. But I took a liking to Octavia, so...

Octavia the Faceless
      4 cost, [WILD] [WILD]
      1/3
      Unique - Elf

When Octavia the Faceless becomes valorous, she transforms into a random [ARDENT] troop with cost +1. She loses Valorous. She retains this power.
    • nqumyf wrote:

Im not sure however if this manifests the Champion itself enough, since it basicly only shows his home. If this is the case please tell me, so I can come up wirh a different name.
      Ya, I was hoping for something a little more indicative of the champion themselves. Your card has some interesting gameplay implications, so I'm not against it, but it isn't really manifesting the champion, just referencing them.
      Gamer. Streamer. Photographer. Writer. Anime Lover. Possessor of Stuffed Animals.

• As an example of what I assume Eraia is looking for, the Frost Ring has/had several examples of champions from the first set that became cards used by bosses in the arena:

Here are examples of Card vs. the Champion
      Kranok vs. Kranok
      Palamedes vs. Palamedes

Palamedes is probably a particularly good example. As a champion he just gave +1/+1, but as a card, he has an Inspire ability that gives out +1/+1. The champion power clearly inspired the card, but the card is more interesting than just having the champion ability.

The post was edited 2 times, last by Arcanyx ().

• Arcanyx wrote:

As an example of what I assume Eraia is looking for, the Frost Ring has/had several examples of champions from the earliest sets that became cards:
      Kranok vs. Kranok
      Palamedes vs. Palamedes

Palamedes and Kranok are great examples of that, the others are pretty good as well but a bit closer to the 'original ability' than I'd like. But thank you for sharing - I'll edit a quote of this into the main post in case anyone has questions. :)

• Gosh this is a good challenge... only difficulty is resisting the urge to do one for all the champs!

Bloodspinner Zorath
      2 [BLOOD]
      Unique Legendary Troop - Vennen Cleric
      At the end of your turn, your cards with Zorath, Shoku, or Jorgen in their name get "At the beginning of your turn, summon a Dreadling".
      [ATTACK] 1 / 3 [DEFENSE]
      What we three - and our support staff, of course - have accomplished here will drown the surface dwellers in endless waves of dread.

Yarna of Lost Voices
      2 [SAPPHIRE]
      Unique Legendary Troop - Chaostouched
      Whenever a player would draw a card, if that card is not the first they would draw this turn, their opponent may bury the top 5 cards of their own deck to prevent the draw.
      2 / 2
      A rush of new ideas. voices clamoring, burying all remnants of a mind soon lost.

Nineveh
      5 [SAPPHIRE] [SAPPHIRE]
      Unique Legendary Troop - Human Mage
      Discard 2 Resources from your hand: Summon a random Constant with Banner in its name and thresholds that match those that at least one of the resources could provide.
      Sacrifice a Constant with Banner in its name: interrupt target card or ability on the Chain.
      2 / 6

Look to the banner for courage, and your force of will shall hold against even the roar of the Sabretooth.

Zorath - I always feel a little lame running Botanist, so I wanted to create a souped up version that encourages you to cooperate with the other Underworld shards, as Zorath did with Shoku and Jorgen.

Yarna - Aside from the obvious mill deck, she could also enable some self-mill strats like a D/S reanimator against the right opponent.

Nineveh - I hate how few answers there are to Primordial Sabretooth/Necropolis Coins/*lith, but also wanted to respect the "slow" flavour of the Nineveh champ... hopefully this strikes a reasonable balance.

The post was edited 2 times, last by GeneralVeers ().

• GeneralVeers wrote:

Yarna of Lost Voices
      Unique Legendary Troop - Chaostouched
      Whenever a player would draw a card, if that card is not the first they would draw this turn, their opponent may bury the top 5 cards of their own deck to prevent the draw.
      2 / 2
      As much as I hate mill cards, gotta admit... that's a neat idea. *winces* huh it really DOES hurt to like something mill related. ;)

• Morgan McBombus
      1 [SAPPHIRE] [RUBY]
      Unique Legendary Troop - Dwarf Mage
      [SPEED] [FLIGHT]
      When an action deals damage to an opposing champion summon a Bumblebot. Morgan Mcbombus has +1 [ATTACK] / +1 [DEFENSE] for each Bumblebot you control.
      1 [ATTACK] / 1 [DEFENSE]
      "Bumblebots don't need a queen when they have a king"

Bonus Equipment:

Bumblebot's Stinger (Weapon) - Morgan McBombus instead has "When an action deals damage to an opposing champion summon a Bumblebot, it gets Gladiator 1. Morgan Mcbombus has +1 / +1 for each Bumblebot you control."

The Bee's Knees (Feet) - Morgan McBombus also has "Deathcry: Summon a Mecha Hive"
    • KotoTheMage wrote:

Grish'xal The Profane
      0/3 Chaostouched
      When a card enters opposing crypt transform it into a random chaostouched.
      1-shot: Void X troops in the opposing crypt, this gets +X/0 this turn.
      I'm... Not very certain of the value of that passive effect... You could potentially be giving your opponent very powerful troops, if they have ways of pulling troops out of their own crypt.
    • Name: Gozzog
      Cost: 2
      Threshold Requirement: [BLOOD]
      Type: unique Troop - Necrotic Warrior
      Faction: [UNDERWORLD]
      Rarity: Common
      Ability: Shift at cost 1: [LIFEDRAIN]
      1 /1
      Favor Text: What is he going to do that isn't going to take himself out at the same time? - creature whom is obliterated by Gozzog

Name: Daughter of Stars
      Cost: 10
      Threshold Requirement: [SAPPHIRE]
      Type: Troop - Coyotle Mage
      Faction: [ARDENT]
      Rarity: Rare
      Ability: [SAPPHIRE] [SAPPHIRE] [SAPPHIRE] [SAPPHIRE]: Deploy - Put each opposing troop into its controller's hand.
      10 /10
      Favor Text: I didn't know stars could have children as species we recognize. - Power Chord

Name: Paragon of Righteousness
      Cost: 4
      Threshold Requirement: [DIAMOND]
      Type: Troop - Avatar of Righteousness
      Faction: Neutral
      Rarity: Legendary
      Abilities: [EXHAUST] - Cards in your control during the rest of this turn are [INVINCIBLE] .
      Once per turn: [BASIC] cost 1 - Conjure an Angel.
      1 /4
      Favor Text: I know it is rare for a primal to sent more than 1 of the same avatar but it isn't impossible. - Wise Eldar

Name: Uzzu the Bonewalker
      Threshold Requirement: none
      Type: unique Troop - Necrotic Ranger
      Rarity: Uncommon
      Ability: Shift at cost 1: Gain a threshold of your choice whenever this attacks.
      4 /4
      Favor Text: Don't let Uzzu get a foothold or we'll never caught up. - scared human general

Name: Lady Mariko
      Threshold Requirement: [WILD] [WILD]
      Type: unique Troop - Shin'hare Cleric
      Rarity: Common
      Ability: Deploy: Conjure a Mending Banner.
      3 /3
      Favor Text: Sending her back just makes things worst. - Worry Wart

Name: Therroz
      Cost: 8
      Threshold Requirement: none
      Type: unique Troop - Vennen Warrior
      Rarity: Rare
      Abilities: Sacrifice this - Troops you control get +1 [ATTACK] /+1 [DEFENSE] this turn.
      Gain a charge when you play a [UNDERWORLD] troop.
      8 /8
      Favor Text: Therroz is just pure trouble. - Quick View

Name: Lorelai Carilloncall
      Cost: 6
      Threshold Requirement: [RUBY] [RUBY]
      Type: unique Troop - Human Cleric
      Faction: [ARDENT]
      Rarity: Legendary
      Ability: Gain 1/0 resources during each of your ready phases for each troop that you control.
      6 /6
      Favor Text: Did the humans figure out how to fully take advantage of the coyotles abilities? - Curious Onlooker