[Important] For Non-KS Backers who lost their account in transition

    • Dinotropia wrote:

      GobBluth wrote:

      I just can't get over how poorly Hex handled this whole situation form start to finish. From the outside looking in it appears no planning went into the transition at all.
      This is emphatically not the case. There is only so much I am able to share, but suffice to say we put a lot of thought into this transition. There was just a perfect storm of events which required us to go with plan E instead of A or B.
      As things stand, we contacted people at the start of the 6 month window. We then sent out a reminder through multiple channels closer to the server shutdown date. We are also actively working with users to recover their information wherever we are able post transition.

      I agree there was a better scenario here (we tried to make many of them happen), but the refrain that I have seen, the one saying that we didn't plan for or care about these users, is wrong.
      You contacted people 6 months prior regarding a transition but made no mention of account deletion or a deadline to transfer the accounts. How can you say you warned people 6 months out if you didn't say anything about account deletion or a dealine?

      This is the email that was sent:
      Dear player,
      Gameforge and HEX Entertainment announce today a publishing change for their critically acclaimed game - HEX: Shards of Fate. Gameforge and HEX Entertainment have come to a mutual agreement where HEX Entertainment will again be responsible for publishing the game in addition to the development. HEX Entertainment is assuming full responsibility and control over all operational procedures from Gameforge, including community management, customer support, promotion, sales, marketing, and other live operational duties.
      This process will not have any impact on the game itself, character progress, items, or the delivery of new content; both HEX Entertainment and Gameforge will do their utmost to ensure that the transition will be as seamless as possible and without interruption of service. In order to have your account migrated, just log into HEX as usual and it'll guide you through the simple transition - it's only a matter of 2 clicks.
      Gameforge would like to sincerely thank the players for their tremendous support throughout the past years, and looks forward to seeing the HEX community grow even greater as the game continues moving forward through 2017 and beyond.
      Hex Entertainment is excited about the future of HEX: Shards of Fate and enthusiastic about the many new features we have in store for the game.
      See you ingame,
      HEX Entertainment and Gameforge

      In fact the email actually leads people to believe that their account will be safe (bold for emphasis). Based on that email why would anyone assume that it was possible their account could be deleted? Your user base doesn't have intricate knowledge of German privacy laws to assume that "account migration" means "your account will be deleted in 6 months".

      The same goes for the initial announcement of the transition to self publishing. No mention of account deletion or a deadline to do so.

      This would all be understandable if you hadn't been in the exact same situation a year earlier with the transition to Gameforge. You knew that German privacy laws would be in effect and knew that there was a six month deadline for Gameforge to hold people's data. Why make no mention of that in the email or the initial announcement?

      Basically you sent out one email that made no reference to the possibility of deletion then sat on your hands for 6 months until a week before when you panic and give people a week's notice to save their accounts.

      The foundation of Hex separating itself from other CCGs is long term collection value. I just don't see how you made a good faith effort to give users notice to protect that value.

      Edit: "You" is used for Hex/Cory and not meant to imply that Dinotropia had any control over how this was handled.

      The post was edited 1 time, last by GobBluth ().

    • GobBluth wrote:

      Basically you sent out one email that made no reference to the possibility of deletion then sat on your hands for 6 months until a week before when you panic and give people a week's notice to save their accounts.
      For completion's sake, you're missing the main site stickied article and the facebook/twitter/reddit posts.

      People ignored the signs at their own risk. You can't force them to show interest in the game. It's a classic example of "I didn't know I wanted this until I lost it" or "I don't want it, I just want to not not have it".
    • Just got to make lemonade with lemons. Hex can only do so much to help recover accounts. This would be a non issue moving forward since the game is now being published by HEX. I would rather have the team's resources focused on future content for PVE, PVP, events for active users.
    • So I had forgotten about a KS account but hopefully I can get that back.

      I had also created a non-KS account for the purposes of showing newer players how to play without any bonuses but I was overseas recently AND the account had no friends. I'll probably re-make this account for the same purpose. I just hope I didn't have anything special on it. Not likely though. I hope the in-game name hasn't been taken in the meantime!
    • I started playing when first released,

      I have no in friend games who are contactable.

      I received no e-mail of any kind talking about a wipe.

      I have some very rare time off so I log back in to see everything gone with no recourse.

      All my old platinum purchases and cards are gone.

      Everything I worked for has been completed wiped with no way to restore it.

      How you see this an acceptable strategy going forward baffles me. I'm sure I'm not the only one in this position who is going to be alienated.

      Oh well, no point in dwelling on lost causes. There are so many more options out there that will not fleece me.
    • Onato wrote:

      How you see this an acceptable strategy going forward baffles me. I'm sure I'm not the only one in this position who is going to be alienated.
      It's not acceptable. However, they were put into an unfaesable position due to a combination of server changes, publisher changes, and privacy laws... and sometimes bad situations don't end up with good solutions. The world would be a much better place if everyone could always have a good resolution to a bad situation.
      Gamer. Streamer. Photographer. Writer. Anime Lover. Possessor of Stuffed Animals.

      Also... I'm terrible at this game.
    • Onato wrote:

      How you see this an acceptable strategy going forward baffles me. I'm sure I'm not the only one in this position who is going to be alienated.
      Cory and the Hex crew have been putting an incredible amount of work trying to find a solution in order to help as many people as possible. What do you propose? Maybe something eluded them, so what else do you think they should do that would be an acceptable strategy going forward?

      Keep in mind that "Well, they shouldn't delete accounts in the first place" is not an acceptable answer. This is not Hex deleting stuff for fun. This is the government of Germany forbidding Gameforge from providing Hex with the information it so desperately wants. I understand that you might be salty about the situation, but please direct your salt towards German's lawmakers.

      Hex and Gameforge will not break the law in order to satisfy you, and you should not ask it of them. Hex will, however, go to great lengths to attempt to resolve the situation with the technical means they have within the boundaries of the law.
    • Largashbur wrote:

      From some people who successfully recovered their account, just one single code is sufficient now to recover it. You don't even need the random number on friendlists anymore...
      Won't this allow some people to recover the accounts of other players now?


      Fred wrote:

      Keep in mind that "Well, they shouldn't delete accounts in the first place" is not an acceptable answer. This is not Hex deleting stuff for fun. This is the government of Germany forbidding Gameforge from providing Hex with the information it so desperately wants. I understand that you might be salty about the situation, but please direct your salt towards German's lawmakers.
      The government of Germany did not make them sign the contract which got them into this mess. It's not their fault.
    • If anyone is to blame I'd think it's Gameforge?

      As far as I understand Gameforge had the e-mail addresses of every player that made an account before HEX and Gameforge parted ways and was legally allowed to use that information to contact account holders up until a few weeks ago when they had to delete the data.

      So Gameforge could have send out many more e-mails as reminders up until that point and they didn't. Of course there was nothing to gain for them in terms of direct profit since they already parted ways with HEX.
      "Ignorant beliefs are stains upon the mind."
    • I'm not victim blaming, the fault lies 70% with the one that ignored the email and 30% with the company that didn't go the extra mile. I'm just calling them hypocrites because odds are, if they had their accounts, they wouldn't be playing. It's situations like these that they say "I didn't know what I had until I lost it". Meaning that if they hadn't lost it, they still wouldn't know they had it.
    • Vroengard wrote:

      Onato wrote:

      How you see this an acceptable strategy going forward baffles me. I'm sure I'm not the only one in this position who is going to be alienated.
      How do you see someone who hasn't logged in 6-8 months still willing to play?


      I almost lost my accounts and I never saw an email anywhere. If you saw what I own on my accounts, not logging in to secure 7fig of platinum of value is out of the question. I don't know any history on this topic and this is the first thread I've read on it, but I know I'd be bent if I logged in today instead of randomly a couple weeks ago.

      That being said, the statement you made is absolute garbage--it never crossed my mind that I would lose everything had I not logged in during a certain time period. Also, I just searched my gmail and did find 2x unread reminders. One was a KS reminder Sept 8 and a Change of Publisher Feb 21 and none of which jumped out with a title that stated "ALERT ALERT ALERT - LOGIN NOW OR ACCOUNT DELETED". Reading above comments it appears that CZE had their hands tied. However, what I see on my end is utter crap from Gameforge. You tell me how the below emails are adequate for losing everything.

      [Blocked Image: http://i65.tinypic.com/e7mcrb.png]
    • The change of publisher article back in February really should have stated that accounts that weren't transferred before September would have extra hoops necessary to jump through in order to get the account transferred and, if you don't have the appropriate information, may be completely lost. I'm not sure if Gameforge and HXE simply didn't realize that this would happen (not sure how they could mess that up) or if the original plan was to have the account transfer system available permanently and then Gameforge changed their minds later with only a week notice. Even if the latter is the case, it's HXE that looks bad and it's not like them blaming their former partner would make matters any better.
    • Vroengard wrote:

      Stoked wrote:

      You tell me how the below emails are adequate for losing everything.
      Open the maisl and take a screenshot, how can we tell anything from the title?

      Bingo! My point exactly. If you're not active in a game, these warning emails don't scream anything special making you want to read it... and hence they were never opened. The titles should have screamed Account Deletion and didn't. I also should have seen a slew of them leading upto the cutover. The fact that they didn't is borderline malicious in my opinion.

      It's likely this has already been stated, but looking at the evidence here--Gameforge really stuck it to CZE. I find a sole email from them 6 months back to be my sole warning of account deletion totally appalling. I guess you can tell this still has my blood pressure elevated and I was a lucky one.

      The post was edited 5 times, last by Stoked ().

    • Vroengard wrote:

      I'm not victim blaming, the fault lies 70% with the one that ignored the email and 30% with the company that didn't go the extra mile. I'm just calling them hypocrites because odds are, if they had their accounts, they wouldn't be playing. It's situations like these that they say "I didn't know what I had until I lost it". Meaning that if they hadn't lost it, they still wouldn't know they had it.
      Hex sold this during the KS largely on the fact that cards would be collectible. That cards will have real money value and will retain that value over long periods of time. How can you possibly think it is a mistake for someone to assume they can step away from the game for 6 months without fear they would lose their account? That was part of why people invested and chose Hex and bought into the TCG over CCG part of the game. People have other things going on in their lives and stepping away from Hex for a year is not an unreasonable thing for someone to assume they could do, let alone just 6 months.

      Plus, as I've pointed out a number of times they never mentioned the possibility of deletion or a deadline in their original email. Yet you keep referencing that people were warned 6 months before hand. They were not. In my earlier post in this thread I copied the text of the email. People were not provided with enough, or really any, relevant information until a week before. They didn't even go one step in the right direction let alone go the extra mile.