Winner is the Judge: Sept 26 thru Oct 3

    • Winner is the Judge: Sept 26 thru Oct 3

      The Rules:

      Design a card (or possibly multiple cards) that meets the design constraint described below. The one that I like the best is the winner. You may submit multiple entries, but please be considerate of your fellow players and don't go too overboard. In the case of multiple entries, you will still receive one prize at most.

      In addition to any listed prizes, the winner then creates a thread for the next round, creates a new design constraint, and the game continues.


      Design Constraint:
      Design a card or equipment that cares in some way about equipped cards (i.e. the cards in your deck that your champion is currently wearing the equipment for).


      Examples:

      There aren't actually that many cards in HEX that currently do this. I think there is actually only the one:
      • Forge Flock - Gets bigger every time you play an equipped card.
      There are some talents that care about equipped cards though:
      • The warrior talent Blacksmithing lets you play equipped cards from the top of your deck.
      • The mage talent Wizard's Hat lets you start with extra SP when you have a certain equipped card in your deck.
      • The cleric talent Holy Hands makes additional copies of certain equipped cards in your deck.


      Here are some other ideas you can use as inspiration:
      • Make a card that triggers from equipped cards being played/destroyed/drawn/sacrificed/discarded/voided
      • Make a card that copies equipped cards in some way
      • Give additional abilities to equipped cards
      • Makes a card gain its equipped bonuses


      Judging Criteria:
      Here's what I focus on in judging, in order of priority
      • Mechanically Creative, yet realistic: Show me something new that hasn't been done before, but make sure it still fits within the realm of HEX gameplay. Feel free to invent keywords and even use non-Entrathian flavor, but keep your designs mechanically grounded to work within the game rules.
      • Game Diversity: Does your creation encourage interesting game play decisions? Could you build a lot of different decks around your creation?
      • Elegance: Keep your designs to as little rules text as possible. I tend to start mentally nitpicking overly verbose cards and wondering why sometimes disparate abilities are grafted together on a card.

      Rewards:

      Rewards for this round: some of my favorite card + equipment combos
      • 1st place: 3x Carnasaurus + "Carnasaurus Tooth" equipment (The backbone of a great warrior dinosaur deck)
      • 2nd place: 4x Frigid Buffalo + "Frozen Buffalo Horn" (I love my elf's Icy Plants deck.)

      Deadline:

      The contest will end on Tuesday, October 3rd at 12pm PST. I will then judge the cards that afternoon/evening.

      The post was edited 2 times, last by Arcanyx: Added the prizes being offered ().

    • I do love me some PvE! So here's what I came up with...

      Name: Reliquary Ghost
      Cost: 4
      Threshold: [DIAMOND]
      Type: Troop - Loregoyle Spirit
      Rarity: Rare
      Stats: 3/3, Spellshield
      Ability: When an equipped card enters a crypt, summon a Living Armor.
      Flavour Text: The reason the Loregoyle Reliquary goes under lock and key every night is not to keep people from breaking in...

      Name: Living Armor
      Cost: 3
      Threshold: None
      Type: Artifact Troop - Spirit
      Rarity: Token
      Stats: 3/3
      Ability: When an equipped card enters a crypt, this gets a random boon.
      Flavour Text: It rattles and clangs and goes bump in the night, an amalgamation of relics crudely stuck together in a scrap iron golem.
    • Diax, the Suspicious Squire
      2 [DIAMOND]
      Unique Legendary Human Warrior

      Equipped Troops you control have +1 [ATTACK] /+1 [DEFENSE] . Equipped actions in your hand have cost -1.

      Void 1 card equipped with a helm from play or your crypt, 1 card equipped with a trinket from play or your crypt, 1 card equipped with gloves from play or your crypt, 1 card equipped with a boots from play or your crypt, 1 card equipped with armor from play or your crypt, and 1 card equipped with a weapon from play or your crypt - Transform Diax, the Suspicious Squire into Diax, Knight of the Forbidden Ritual
      1 [ATTACK] /1 [DEFENSE]
      "He's the best squire I could ever ask for, but he's always seemed a little.... overzealous about our gear." - Exalted Knight


      Diax, Knight of the Forbidden Ritual
      2 [DIAMOND]
      Unique Legendary Human Warrior
      [SPELLSHIELD] [SWIFTSTRIKE] [LETHAL]

      This has +1 [ATTACK] /+1 [DEFENSE] for each equipped item in the void.
      When an equipped card enters a crypt, you may void it.

      Deathcry: Revert this and put it into play.
      1 [ATTACK] /1 [DEFENSE]
      "The fools thought I cared about them. All I wanted was the power stored in their enchanted equipment. For with it, I am unstoppable!" - Diax


      The basic premise here is that once you have an equipped card of each type in play or in your crypt, you can void them to make Diax into a monster. Diax encourages you to get your equipped stuff into play and then steals all of its power. Once he's upgraded, he can also steal power from your opponents equipped cards. However, for your own cards, you have a choice to make - if you void them to make him stronger, there's no in your crypt waiting for if he actually somehow dies. Do you make him stronger, or save up to return him back to his glory-days if he perishes due to a sweeper or a clever trick?

      (I know it's verbose, but I just had to once the idea came to me ;))
      Gamer. Streamer. Photographer. Writer. Anime Lover. Possessor of Stuffed Animals.

      Also... I'm terrible at this game.

      The post was edited 1 time, last by Eraia ().

    • Smith Savant
      2
      Dwarf Bard
      PvE Rare - Unique
      [EXHAUST] -> Target card in play or in your hand becomes fully equipped until end of turn.
      2/2

      Weapon - Vindo's Viola
      Your Smith Savants instead have "[EXHAUST] -> Target card you control in play or in your hand becomes fully equipped."

      Chest - Patchwork Cloak
      Your Smith Savants also have "[7] -> Cards you control in play or in your hand, crypt, or void become fully equipped until end of turn."
    • Talysen's ring,
      glove equipment for Locket of Reflection
      Legendary
      When you play an equipped card, void all copies of it in the deck, then create a copy and put it in your deck.


      This way you can play Locket of Reflection basically with any champion. Right now, only Winter Moon can utilize it to its fullest, so I thought this could be remedied.
    • KotoTheMage wrote:

      Talysen's ring,
      glove equipment for Locket of Reflection
      Legendary
      When you play an equipped card, void all copies of it in the deck, then create a copy and put it in your deck.


      This way you can play Locket of Reflection basically with any champion. Right now, only Winter Moon can utilize it to its fullest, so I thought this could be remedied.
      So, to clarify, with this ring equipped, it would cause the Locket of Reflection to, if you have 4 copies of a card in your deck, destroy the other three copies and then add one and subsequently immediately play it?
    • Hawkor's Market

      4 cost

      Unique Artifact

      Your equipped cards in all zones get -1 cost.
      Whenever you play an equipped card, draw a card.

      Equipment:

      Helm of Demand:
      Head Equipment

      Your Hawkor's Markets Instead have: Your equipped cards in all zones get -1 coat for each equipment that affects it.
      Whenever you play an equipped card, draw a card for each equipment that affects it.


      Shoes of Supply:
      Feet Equipment

      Your Hawkors Markets instead have: When you plan an equipped card create a copy of it and put it into your deck, then draw a card.
    • Firellius wrote:

      KotoTheMage wrote:

      Talysen's ring,
      glove equipment for Locket of Reflection
      Legendary
      When you play an equipped card, void all copies of it in the deck, then create a copy and put it in your deck.


      This way you can play Locket of Reflection basically with any champion. Right now, only Winter Moon can utilize it to its fullest, so I thought this could be remedied.
      So, to clarify, with this ring equipped, it would cause the Locket of Reflection to, if you have 4 copies of a card in your deck, destroy the other three copies and then add one and subsequently immediately play it?
      hmmm.... I don't think that's how the rules engine would interpret the card:

      Likely Result:
      1. Play an equipped card with three other copies in your deck.
      2. The "play for free" ability does not trigger since you have three copies in your deck. The "void all extras and create a copy" would trigger.
      3. The "void all extras and create a copy" resolves.
      4. The equipped card resolves.
      5. There is one copy of the equipped card in your deck that could never trigger the locket ability without some sort of recursion happening.
      The equipment as written wouldn't really work with the "play for free" ability. The only time they would both trigger is when you already have only one copy in your deck. In such a situation, the end result is just an a copy of that spell being put into the void.


      However, I understand the intention (I think), but if you would like to reword it in some way, feel free to do that as well. There are definitely ways of wording the equipment to make sure the locket will duplicate equipped cards more often in all decks. I mean at the very least, you could add a recursion ability to the locket to put equipped cards back into your deck so literally every deck could have a Winter Moon type effect.
    • Arcanyx wrote:

      Firellius wrote:

      KotoTheMage wrote:

      Talysen's ring,
      glove equipment for Locket of Reflection
      Legendary
      When you play an equipped card, void all copies of it in the deck, then create a copy and put it in your deck.


      This way you can play Locket of Reflection basically with any champion. Right now, only Winter Moon can utilize it to its fullest, so I thought this could be remedied.
      So, to clarify, with this ring equipped, it would cause the Locket of Reflection to, if you have 4 copies of a card in your deck, destroy the other three copies and then add one and subsequently immediately play it?
      hmmm.... I don't think that's how the rules engine would interpret the card:
      Likely Result:
      1. Play an equipped card with three other copies in your deck.
      2. The "play for free" ability does not trigger since you have three copies in your deck. The "void all extras and create a copy" would trigger.
      3. The "void all extras and create a copy" resolves.
      4. The equipped card resolves.
      5. There is one copy of the equipped card in your deck that could never trigger the locket ability without some sort of recursion happening.
      The equipment as written wouldn't really work with the "play for free" ability. The only time they would both trigger is when you already have only one copy in your deck. In such a situation, the end result is just an a copy of that spell being put into the void.


      However, I understand the intention (I think), but if you would like to reword it in some way, feel free to do that as well. There are definitely ways of wording the equipment to make sure the locket will duplicate equipped cards more often in all decks. I mean at the very least, you could add a recursion ability to the locket to put equipped cards back into your deck so literally every deck could have a Winter Moon type effect.
      Probably the best way would be to reword the equipment to be 'Locket, in stead, has <new text> <original text>' so that the new text occurs first.
      Gamer. Streamer. Photographer. Writer. Anime Lover. Possessor of Stuffed Animals.

      Also... I'm terrible at this game.
    • Eraia wrote:

      Probably the best way would be to reword the equipment to be 'Locket, in stead, has <new text> <original text>' so that the new text occurs first.
      Just changing the order on the card won't work. It's not an issue about which ability enters the chain first; the problem is that the triggers happen when you play the card. If you play an equipped card, the trigger about "play another for free" won't enter the chain since you still have more than one copy in your deck when you played the equipped card.

      To get the desired functionality, it would have to be a single combined trigger:

      When you play a non-resource card, if it is equipped, void all cards with the same name in your deck and then create a copy and put it into your deck. Then if you have exactly one card with the same name in your deck, play that card for free.


      To be honest, for mostly identical results but easier to grasp text, it would probably just be easier to make the ability of the equipment:

      Your Locket of Reflections has, "When you play an equipped card, randomly play a card with the same name from your deck. Then void all cards in your deck with the same name as the played card."

      Then the locket has basically two triggers, one goes off when there is a matching card in the deck. The other goes off if you play an equipped card. If you play an equipped card that has one matching card, it doesn't actually matter which triggers since they have the same effect.
    • Arcanyx wrote:

      Firellius wrote:

      KotoTheMage wrote:

      Talysen's ring,
      glove equipment for Locket of Reflection
      Legendary
      When you play an equipped card, void all copies of it in the deck, then create a copy and put it in your deck.


      This way you can play Locket of Reflection basically with any champion. Right now, only Winter Moon can utilize it to its fullest, so I thought this could be remedied.
      So, to clarify, with this ring equipped, it would cause the Locket of Reflection to, if you have 4 copies of a card in your deck, destroy the other three copies and then add one and subsequently immediately play it?
      hmmm.... I don't think that's how the rules engine would interpret the card:
      Likely Result:
      1. Play an equipped card with three other copies in your deck.
      2. The "play for free" ability does not trigger since you have three copies in your deck. The "void all extras and create a copy" would trigger.
      3. The "void all extras and create a copy" resolves.
      4. The equipped card resolves.
      5. There is one copy of the equipped card in your deck that could never trigger the locket ability without some sort of recursion happening.
      The equipment as written wouldn't really work with the "play for free" ability. The only time they would both trigger is when you already have only one copy in your deck. In such a situation, the end result is just an a copy of that spell being put into the void.


      However, I understand the intention (I think), but if you would like to reword it in some way, feel free to do that as well. There are definitely ways of wording the equipment to make sure the locket will duplicate equipped cards more often in all decks. I mean at the very least, you could add a recursion ability to the locket to put equipped cards back into your deck so literally every deck could have a Winter Moon type effect.
      I wasn't aware of the intricacies of how it triggers, but you're right. I wanted it to always trigger with the equipped cards, here's the version number 2:

      Talysen's Ring,
      glove equipment for Locket of Reflection
      Legendary
      All your Locket of Reflection have: "When you an equipped card, if you have exactly one card with the same name in your deck, hand and crypt play that card for free."

      The post was edited 2 times, last by KotoTheMage ().

    • 5 - Scrapyard Battleboonbox

      ARTIFACT, Legendary, Unique

      This has cost -1 for each equipped troop you control. When you play an equipped troop, equipped troops you control get Gladiator 1 and a random Boon.

      " Let's see how they'll answer to this! " - Locke
      The Wardens of Entrath is a large, open to public community of Hex enthusiasts with a mission to help and support Hex players and content creators alike!

      Find us on our Discord server or website!
    • There were certainly some very creative entries in this contest.


      Eraia wrote:

      Diax, the Suspicious Squire
      2 [DIAMOND]
      Unique Legendary Human Warrior

      Equipped Troops you control have +1 [ATTACK] /+1 [DEFENSE] . Equipped actions in your hand have cost -1.

      Void 1 card equipped with a helm from play or your crypt, 1 card equipped with a trinket from play or your crypt, 1 card equipped with gloves from play or your crypt, 1 card equipped with a boots from play or your crypt, 1 card equipped with armor from play or your crypt, and 1 card equipped with a weapon from play or your crypt - Transform Diax, the Suspicious Squire into Diax, Knight of the Forbidden Ritual
      1 [ATTACK] /1 [DEFENSE]
      "He's the best squire I could ever ask for, but he's always seemed a little.... overzealous about our gear." - Exalted Knight


      Diax, Knight of the Forbidden Ritual
      2 [DIAMOND]
      Unique Legendary Human Warrior
      [SPELLSHIELD] [SWIFTSTRIKE] [LETHAL]

      This has +1 [ATTACK] /+1 [DEFENSE] for each equipped item in the void.
      When an equipped card enters a crypt, you may void it.

      Deathcry: Revert this and put it into play.
      1 [ATTACK] /1 [DEFENSE]
      "The fools thought I cared about them. All I wanted was the power stored in their enchanted equipment. For with it, I am unstoppable!" - Diax


      The basic premise here is that once you have an equipped card of each type in play or in your crypt, you can void them to make Diax into a monster. Diax encourages you to get your equipped stuff into play and then steals all of its power. Once he's upgraded, he can also steal power from your opponents equipped cards. However, for your own cards, you have a choice to make - if you void them to make him stronger, there's no in your crypt waiting for if he actually somehow dies. Do you make him stronger, or save up to return him back to his glory-days if he perishes due to a sweeper or a clever trick?

      (I know it's verbose, but I just had to once the idea came to me ;))

      Diax by @Eraia gets first prize. I agree with the comment on how this card is a bit verbose, but I really liked the gameplay this card encouraged. It really wants you to get as many equipped cards out of your deck as possible, and this minigame of getting all the different equipped cards out of your deck isn't something that is in HEX yet. And as if the quest for equipped cards wasn't enough, as Eraia pointed out, it also has interesting decisions once it transforms. This card definitely nails having interesting gameplay effects. Lastly, I really like the story of conveyed through the flavor text. It adds a nice touch that really brings out the reason for the mechanics.



      GeneralVeers wrote:

      Unlimited Blade Works
      3
      Legendary Artifact
      Your cards in all zones behave as if they have their Weapon Slot Equipment equipped.
      ... I have created over a thousand blades ...
      Unlimited Blade Works by @GeneralVeers gets my second place award. This card had a very simple ability that has some pretty huge deck building implications. Being an artifact makes it easily able to put into any deck, and I can't tell you how many times I get to the weapon slot and have to decide between 5 or more different options. I can already imagine a couple different decks I might put this card into, and I haven't even considered decks yet where I would intentionally build around the card. Plus, a subtle flavor nod to Fate/stay night is always appreciated.



      So prizes have just been sent out. See you all in the next contest!
    • Arcanyx wrote:

      Diax by @Eraia gets first prize. I agree with the comment on how this card is a bit verbose, but I really liked the gameplay this card encouraged. It really wants you to get as many equipped cards out of your deck as possible, and this minigame of getting all the different equipped cards out of your deck isn't something that is in HEX yet. And as if the quest for equipped cards wasn't enough, as Eraia pointed out, it also has interesting decisions once it transforms. This card definitely nails having interesting gameplay effects. Lastly, I really like the story of conveyed through the flavor text. It adds a nice touch that really brings out the reason for the mechanics.
      Thank you for the high praise! I'm glad you enjoyed it! I was quite pleased with how the card turned out, and I have just the idea for a contest. I don't know if I'll have time to type it up and sort out prizes, but I'll make sure to do so tomorrow! :)
      Gamer. Streamer. Photographer. Writer. Anime Lover. Possessor of Stuffed Animals.

      Also... I'm terrible at this game.