First impression

• First impression

Hey guys,

There are lagg issues everywhere, so until its fixed, I decided to write my first impression about the game.
      According to steam, I have 52 hours in the game so far, maybe that's enough for this topic.
      I've only played the campaign so far, so I'm not going to write about the Arena-thing.

It was a long time ago that something caught me as hard as this game. Maybe Runescape in the early 20's.
      This is the feeling, you know, when you want to play more. It's enough for today, its too late, but you know you will surely come back tomorrow. That's so rare for me nowadays. Tried many other games, played a lot with HS, tried MTG, but it just failed in the long term. Not Hex though.

Now let's see my first impressions.

I appreciate how great journey it is. It's not something you play out in 20 hours. Developers put a lot of efforts into the game, with a lot of different battles, characters, classes, items, cards..., oh man, I could keep counting forever. Reward system is much more fair than in any other cardgames. The game is very rewarding, I like it so much.

Well, it's always easier to complain than to make a compliment- so will I do. The reason is that due to the many-many content already been put into, I feel I could make the game better with some advices.

1. The games lacks of communication with the player. It could recommend levels to encounters, action-bar, etc.
      2. I admit, the dungeons are somewhat hard-but-fair (withe exceptions, in the next points)
      3. If you leave the dungeon it will reset. Fine. But then allow me to change my deck. Imagine this: I'm done with 99% of the dungeon, only the last boss left. And I can't defeat it because it needs a different deck. So in this situation, I can choose: try it 50 times and win by luck (boss drawing only mana or drawing only big minions), or exit the dungeon and start all over (which I dislike to do since I want to move on to the next quest).
      4. I could count up to 4 bosses in different dungeons which were just simply unfair. And I won all of them! -by the enemy not playing anything in 10 turns... Now we connect back to three: allow cardchanging inside!
      5. During battles, I felt the AI used complete decks, while I used trash. I was like "Why can 'he' use this? Why I don't have such OP card? I have almost the same effect card for like twice in mana cost, man!"

Well, that's all, everything is good, the game itself is good, but those points up there, well, there were days when I started the game, and left after 1 hour of, with the feeling everybody felt at least once in their life: fuck this shit.

And the next day I came back. And then I left with the same feeling. And then I came back again. And so on...

Shhh.
    • DarkStroke wrote:

4. I could count up to 4 bosses in different dungeons which were just simply unfair. And I won all of them! -by the enemy not playing anything in 10 turns... Now we connect back to three: allow cardchanging inside!
      Mercenaries help with this a lot. You can build specific mercenary decks to deal with the weaknesses your main deck has.

Overall, good feedback though.
      Gamer. Streamer. Photographer. Writer. Anime Lover. Possessor of Stuffed Animals.

Also... I'm terrible at this game.
    • @DarkStroke Welcome to Hex !!! Happy to have you here. Our community's greatness is equivalent of the game. You'll have all the help and fun you need here. You can also check the Competitions and Events category. We have a fun weekly contest there. :)
      The Wardens of Entrath is a large, open to public community of Hex enthusiasts with a mission to help and support Hex players and content creators alike!

Find us on our Discord server or website!
    • Fair assessment of the campaign from a newer perspective. Feel free to send me some in-game mail about the deck you are running now and what you like about it, and I can hook you up with some on theme cards, and maybe a few mercenaries to help you when you get there.
    • Thanks for taking the time to write your feedback. Not everyone takes the time to provide theirs and it does help grow the game.

Never hesitate to ask any questions you may have in these forums, you'll find we are a very friendly bunch!

Cheers!

The Wardens of Entrath is a large, open to public community of Hex enthusiasts with a mission to help and support Hex players and content creators alike!

Find us on our Discord server or website!
    • Welcome aboard, I know your pain. I actually documented (still am) my journey through Hex from start doing all of my PvE experiences on YouTube :D Let's say I made (and still do) lots of mistakes, struggled with some of the unfairness of it all and yeah, almost quit too. The wormoids were the worst.

It was only chatting with other players and talking to them in global that I got some good tips, started looking at the Auction House and even received a few trades/free cards without asking. The community here is really great, don't be afraid to ask for advice.

Once you get a semi-good deck you can play it through to the end. Yeah, there are some encounters that really push it and may require a lot of luck, there are certain deck types that are best for certain fights and dungeons...they used to be three tries then you were kicked out and had to start over :D

My advice for dungeons is to always bring a deck that can handle a variety of threats. Have some removal, some evasion, a few finishers, etc. The usual stuff. The hard part is access to those cards so ask around, find out what's good, check the AH, Frost Arena is a great place to grind gold even in Tier 1, it's a quick run. I didn't touch Frost Ring until recently and love it for playing with deck ideas (even if it's a very difficult place to complete).

Good luck and I hope you stay with the community just that bit longer to get to know it.
      All around CCG/TCG fan. Streamer/Content Creator. Hex PvE Campaign afficionado.
      Check youtube.com/c/myhotstream for both of my faction series.
    • Hey DarkStroke,

Welcome to the game, and thank you so much for sharing your thoughts and especially your experiences as a fresh player. This is valuable feedback that I guarantee the devs are interested in as well.

A couple quick points:

1. We all agree that the communication towards new players in game leaves a lot to be desired right now (including the devs), and it's something that has been discussed at length and is going to get better. Not sure if you've seen it yet or not, but the game is launching on PS4 soon and that version is going to include a completely revamped new player experience, which will also make its way back to the PC client in the near future. I expect we will also see better messaging in the campaign over time.

2. Regarding changing cards in dungeons. I don't know how far you've managed to get in the campaign so far, but it sounds like you might not have traveled to the Alachian Sea area yet. This is often called "AZ2" or "Adventure Zone 2" by the players, and it is the first big expansion we got to PVE. One of the major features of the zone is the introduction of mercenaries. Shortly after you get to AZ2, you unlock your first mercenary slot (and by the end, you'll have unlocked 3). This lets you switch out to a completely different deck during dungeons, so you can have multiple deck strategies. This is also an account-level unlock, so once you earn the ability to use mercenaries with one character, you can use them with all future characters as well (including inside AZ1 where you are now). If you're able to move one of your characters on to AZ2 to unlock mercenaries, you may find the remaining dungeons in AZ1 (especially the last one) a lot easier.

3. As others have suggested, hit up the strategies and decklists forums for some ideas on decks to help you through certain areas of the campaign. If nothing else, it'll give you a goal for some cards to work towards picking up off the AH with the gold you're earning.

Thanks again, and keep having fun! :)
      --ossuary

"Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none."
      - Shakespeare, All's Well That Ends Well
    • Your #3 and #4 are why I like dungeons so much, and don't have much fun in the overworld.
      There is no risk.

Minor spoilers, but a boss type encounter does show up on the overworld map.
      Display Spoiler
      [The Old Man of the Sea / The Gallows]

The fight has no weight or impact to it. Because I could just revamp my deck each time to instantly try out something new.

An easy fix to this has already been pointed out. Mercenaries.
      I'm hoping that with the next adventure zone the first Merc slot is remixed and unlocked far earlier.
      It'd just be a little thing to make the game just a tad bit more friendly to new players.
    • Yes I would very much like to see just 1 merc slot opened up as part of AZ1. Possibly when you get to the first town? It would make the difficulty curve a lot smoother, and let you start leveling them up and playing around with different deck styles earlier.
      --ossuary

"Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none."
      - Shakespeare, All's Well That Ends Well
    • Ossuary wrote:

Yes I would very much like to see just 1 merc slot opened up as part of AZ1. Possibly when you get to the first town? It would make the difficulty curve a lot smoother, and let you start leveling them up and playing around with different deck styles earlier.
      That would be great. The first nodes you'd have to play with your character to get a feeling for it and then you'll get the choice to switch to your first mercenary.
      Maybe via a special merc tutorial dungeon, where your first merc accompanies you. At some node he'd start a dialouge and offers to jump in, cause the fight might better fit his role.
    • Great to see new players! Thank you for writing about your experiences. It is always valuable to get a fresh perspective. As mentioned already, looks like mercenaries are just what you need. They make the game a lot more fun anyway, so maybe make a beeline to unlock them and then attack the dungeons again.

Welcome to HEX. ^^
    • Ertzi wrote:

Great to see new players! Thank you for writing about your experiences. It is always valuable to get a fresh perspective. As mentioned already, looks like mercenaries are just what you need. They make the game a lot more fun anyway, so maybe make a beeline to unlock them and then attack the dungeons again.

Welcome to HEX. ^^

Well, the only problem is if the dungeon he is having problem beating is the one that he needs to unlock mercs (Brutecrown).
      HEX forums resident liker.
    • DarkStroke wrote:

3. If you leave the dungeon it will reset. Fine. But then allow me to change my deck. Imagine this: I'm done with 99% of the dungeon, only the last boss left. And I can't defeat it because it needs a different deck. So in this situation, I can choose: try it 50 times and win by luck (boss drawing only mana or drawing only big minions), or exit the dungeon and start all over (which I dislike to do since I want to move on to the next quest).
      This is the inherent property of dungeons (and part of the challenge of a dungeon), and that is what sets them aside from "normal" nodes. Changing decks would make dungeon mechanics obsolete. Plus, there are some mercenaries that grant you passive boni only within dungeons.

DarkStroke wrote:

5. During battles, I felt the AI used complete decks, while I used trash. I was like "Why can 'he' use this? Why I don't have such OP card? I have almost the same effect card for like twice in mana cost, man!"
      This is a method to offset all the unfair cards the players have access to - you probably need to broaden your view a bit to see whats available. Admittedly, there are some OP cards that are AI only, but that's what I use Mindsnatch Raven, Swiftpaw Trickster (with equip) and Mad Aradam Cultist for. Steal their stuff and play it yourself! Very fun!

The post was edited 1 time, last by Largashbur ().