A way to save resources on set development

• A way to save resources on set development

During a discussion about how HexEnt doesn't have the resources to do enough PvE development when they have to push a new PvP set every 4 months, I came up with an idea that might help.

What if HexEnt started developing PvP sets where every other set would use already existing keywords and mechanics. This would probably free up a lot of development and testing resources that could be used to develop PvE and social features. The new mechanics should probably come in odd numbered sets as those are usually the start of a new topic/story.

The sets that don't include new keywords or mechanics could instead bring back one or two older keywords, which are already tested and implemented.
    • The trouble is that coming up with new uses of keywords may be as taxing or more so, often a keyword has less relevant depth to it then you might think and might be worth printing. Plus they already put old keywords on new PvE cards as many of the new arena rewards use them.
    • From my point of view having new keywords every set is bad for limited, if you have 2 sets inside you have too many mechanics and you cannot put together a deck that is around 1.
      For example mobilize and digilence, if I remember it was focused in 1 set only, same will be with deathcry in set 8, we will see this but not so many as set 7
    • This would strictly make the game worse... you're suggesting this with the goal of freeing up time so that they can work on more PVE stuff. The PVP stuff keeps the bills paid and the lights on. If they actually followed through with your suggestion, I'd rather they not release a new PVP set at all and I'm not even joking / being sarcastic.

Having a TCG that just sits in stagnation is boring, and I can't imagine why a developer would choose to stagnate their game on purpose.
    • KotoTheMage wrote:

Funktion wrote:

The PVP stuff keeps the bills paid and the lights on.
      I'm not sure that's 100% true. Many people buy cards for PVE, as did I. I didn't touch PVP for long time, cuz PVE seemed amazing to me when I first joined.Can't please everyone, but abandoning PVE also make big chunk of player base leave as is happening now.

They're not abandoning PVE. I've seen forum users saying that recently and that couldn't be further from the truth. The last content update had a significant PVE installment included in it. We had more PVE content in the last year and a half than we ever had previously, they've building up steam.

Hex hasn't ever said they were abandoning it with their words or their actions... the only people who've ever said that were some players on the forums.
    • Funktion wrote:

KotoTheMage wrote:

Funktion wrote:

The PVP stuff keeps the bills paid and the lights on.
      I'm not sure that's 100% true. Many people buy cards for PVE, as did I. I didn't touch PVP for long time, cuz PVE seemed amazing to me when I first joined.Can't please everyone, but abandoning PVE also make big chunk of player base leave as is happening now.
      They're not abandoning PVE. I've seen forum users saying that recently and that couldn't be further from the truth. The last content update had a significant PVE installment included in it. We had more PVE content in the last year and a half than we ever had previously, they've building up steam.

Hex hasn't ever said they were abandoning it with their words or their actions... the only people who've ever said that were some players on the forums.
      You must be new here Funktion. We don't have time for your facts.
    • Funktion wrote:

They're not abandoning PVE. I've seen forum users saying that recently and that couldn't be further from the truth. The last content update had a significant PVE installment included in it.
      My point was that people are leaving, thinking HexEnt is abandoning PVE, mostly because of what Cory said and lack of any sort of announcements, and also, "significant installment" you were talkinga bout included rework of already existing content most of which was cosmetic, added tons of unusable equipment and nothing for actual MMO TCG. We can't develop PVE champions further, can't play together, no end-game AND no immediate plans to develop that. In some people's eyes that's exactly abandoning. Personally, I'm somewhere in the middle. I enjoyed the new FRA for 2 days, but at the end of the day it was still the same. I haven't been around for a year and a half to judge if they are building up steam, but I would really love to know if they're actually working on campaign part or not.
    • DraXor wrote:

From my point of view having new keywords every set is bad for limited, if you have 2 sets inside you have too many mechanics and you cannot put together a deck that is around 1.
      For example mobilize and digilence, if I remember it was focused in 1 set only, same will be with deathcry in set 8, we will see this but not so many as set 7
      you're assuming that being able to make a strong deck easily is a good thing

playing against the strongest decks in single-set formats has not been fun
    • Shinshire wrote:

if you think implementing and testing new mechanic is a big issue taking a lot of time, you are wrong. source: tested card games
      I assumed that was the biggest cause for all the bugs they have with a new releases. Also, that should be the only development needed for a new set, as the rest is only design and art. If not I stand corrected.
    • Norwind wrote:

Shinshire wrote:

if you think implementing and testing new mechanic is a big issue taking a lot of time, you are wrong. source: tested card games
      I assumed that was the biggest cause for all the bugs they have with a new releases. Also, that should be the only development needed for a new set, as the rest is only design and art. If not I stand corrected.
      well, the most bugs occur from specific cards being poorly coded/tested (i.e.: sweeties/fungi had "when another troop you control transforms" trigger, badger/dryad - "when another card you control transforms". frostforming incorrectly triggered the first one at the release of set 7. and it wasn't even a new mechanic, just new combination of filters for a trigger, that got ****ed up a bit by a programmer and overlooked by QA)

few new mechanics each set isn't a big deal.

p.s. the word is "mess" :p
    • Funktion wrote:

1. "They are abandoning" indicates that it has started at some point, it's continued now and will end some time in the future. It's a (pessimistic) prediction based on some facts and their interpetation. Unless you're hiding something from us, you can't say it's true or not.

2. There might be forum users that say that but the vast majority is complaining about the undeniable painfully slow implementation of PvE features/updates, the non-implementation of basic features and, most of all, the tied lips regarding everything PvE.

3. The FRA 2.0 is, generously, 1/5th of the content of an AZ (and I'm being very generous), it's not something people wanted or asked for and it's actually not a new feature, just a medium update on an old feature.
    • Vroengard wrote:

Funktion wrote:

1. "They are abandoning" indicates that it has started at some point, it's continued now and will end some time in the future. It's a (pessimistic) prediction based on some facts and their interpetation. Unless you're hiding something from us, you can't say it's true or not.
      The rest all seems like fair opinions. Don't agree with them but they're totally fair to have. #1 though is a claim without any evidence to support that claim, ALL of the evidence points to them continuing to develop PVE content for the game.

My takeaway is that people want PVE to be the priority in Hex, but right now it isn't paying the bills. If it were their primary source of revenue then it would likely be the primary focus of their limited resources. It is still getting content... it just isn't the priority right now.