Stone me if you want, but - PvE???

• Goliathus wrote:

Transience wrote:

I would like to read his current opinion on about everything at some point though. I hope he will eventually talk to us or make a statement.
      I would like this too.
      Talking to all the people who supported the game over the years is the very least he could do. This is starting to look just like another game that was abandoned a few years ago: The Facebook game for Mystic Warlords of Ka'a: facebook.com/groups/312384520556/

One day the game was just gone and noone ever posted an explanation about why. How can they treat their audience like this?

The post was edited 1 time, last by prinsallan ().

• Transience wrote:

prinsallan wrote:

NicoSharp wrote:

Base pay in Southern California for a Software Developer is $80,000 per year.
      x6 = $480,000
      It would have taken 480 Prinsallan's to keep 1 employee around.

Not including any other employees or cost/fees to run the game...

There was already a comment made a year or two ago by Cory that $25 million had already been invested in developing HEX. If true, the company may have been operating in the red soon after the kickstarter ended.

It's not a question of "if" anymore. It's just a question of when and how. As a person that supported the dream, my expectation is human effort to take ownership and acknowledgement.
      480 people for a worldwide game is nothing. Besides, I offered my services many years ago and I asked for a salary of 2000$, as a card-designer, creative developer and with 15 years as a photohopper/photographer in my resume. I spent 50 hours on my job-application and all I got was a "no".facebook.com/jonas.astrand.7/m….10205262753783779&type=3
      Honestly, those examples in your post are sub-par. I would not employ you either. Sorry.
      Aside from that, going from crowdfunded to crowddeveloped would be absolutely next level. If there's is any chance..

Also, contrary to a lot of people here I hold no grudges at all against Cory. I don't see any substance to the claims that HEX failed because of him. I'm sure some of his decisionmaking could have been better and I'm sure he would agree to that as well but I don't think he's the root cause of the problem.

I would like to read his current opinion on about everything at some point though. I hope he will eventually talk to us or make a statement.
      What was subpar? Maybe the graphics, but my ideas was probarbly good enough. They stole my idea for their card "Holiday" without blinking. I had a sixth color in my work, trying to avoid the clashes of Hex being a total ripoff of Magic the Gathering, which it is even to this date. I mean, they even stole their colors and themes of them right off the bat. Also, why defer drom the Shards with the color "Blood"? Isn't the color of Purple perfectly viable with an Amethyst Shard...?
    • The graphics are indeed not very good. I also don't see anything interesting about design, just variations on things already established.

And Holiday is just a horrible card. One of the worst things about HEX card design is the RNG, euphemistically called 'the digitally design space' but in reality is just an element that zeroes out any need for strategic skill. Since I've converted back to MtG through Arena the lack of RNG cards is one of the things that I'm enjoying the most. There is like 1 flip a coin card in the latest set and I'm still not willing to play that because of HEX. I realize Holiday is a PvE card so it's less relevant, but still. I absolutely detest that kind of stuff.

Also, 6 colors? Why?
      "Ignorant beliefs are stains upon the mind."
    • prinsallan wrote:

480 people for a worldwide game is nothing. Besides, I offered my services many years ago and I asked for a salary of 2000$, as a card-designer, creative developer and with 15 years as a photohopper/photographer in my resume. I spent 50 hours on my job-application and all I got was a "no".facebook.com/jonas.astrand.7/m….10205262753783779&type=3
      Eeeeeh? Your cards have tons of flat dead space, text that's difficult to read, icons that are all over the place...they're pretty bad, dude. Topping that off with "I designed a card that doesn't actually have any rules" isn't something to brag about.
    • I always theorized we might run into an enemy-only PvE sixth' shard. I mean, it's called Hex. Six only makes sense, and would have been a great plot twist. Color pie could be 'overpowered, because players deserve it.'

As for why Blood is called blood instead of a gem, it's part of the lore. While there are three gem-based magic types (Diamond, Ruby, Sapphire), the other two shards are natural magics (Blood and Wild magic) that predated Hex. I never got the impression it was really well differentiated or built upon, but the lore was there.
      Old username: Aradon | Collector backer | Starting a guild for Newbies -- "The Cerulean Acadamy" -- Taking applications once guilds are implemented
    • It amuses me greatly that the community is now reduced to throwing shit at each other, since the devs have clearly pulled themselves out of reach(by just... not caring about what happens here)

That has been 'fun' to watch.
      Gamer. Streamer. Photographer. Writer. Anime Lover. Possessor of Stuffed Animals.

Also... I'm terrible at this game.
    • Obsidian wrote:

I always theorized we might run into an enemy-only PvE sixth' shard. I mean, it's called Hex. Six only makes sense, and would have been a great plot twist. Color pie could be 'overpowered, because players deserve it.'

As for why Blood is called blood instead of a gem, it's part of the lore. While there are three gem-based magic types (Diamond, Ruby, Sapphire), the other two shards are natural magics (Blood and Wild magic) that predated Hex. I never got the impression it was really well differentiated or built upon, but the lore was there.
      The lore was there, but the logic was not. Besides, the Lore could have been around 6 shards from the stage I applied- my application was in the dawn of Hex so the cards weren't as overpowered as everything is now- in comparison: Tarmogoyf from MTG ripped straight to Hex would have been considered a bad card if we compare to the brokenness many Hex cards have had over the last few years.
    • prinsallan wrote:

Smradd wrote:

Transience wrote:

Also, 6 colors? Why?
      Why not?
      https://www.dailywritingtips.com/hex-words/ > well duh. Hex literally means "Six".
      The hex you are referring to has its roots from the Greek number "έξι".
      If you google it and type "hex meaning" you will be redirected to the English word "hex"
      which can be used as a verb meaning "cast a spell on" and "bewitch", or as a noun meaning "magic spell" or "curse". Here, if you don't believe me. So your theory about six colors is kinda wrong cause the game uses the term to refer witchcraft. Also in cards flavour there is reference to the "hexing gems" meaning "gems with magical properties" and not "hexagonal shaped gems".
      :)
      The Wardens of Entrath is a large, open to public community of Hex enthusiasts with a mission to help and support Hex players and content creators alike!

Find us on our Discord server or website!
    • ... It's not that weird that a title would utilize a double-entendre (a thing so common there is a phrase to describe it). Titles in particular frequently have loaded meanings or clever word-play. It's almost bad marketing to name a product that can be ambiguous or mistaken, even.

Sure, apparently CZE never intended to take advantage of the other meaning. We pretty much know that now. But as I said, there's no reason they couldn't have been planning it. It'd be perfectly reasonable to reveal a sixth shard, or start with six shards instead of five. It makes a lot of sense.
      Old username: Aradon | Collector backer | Starting a guild for Newbies -- "The Cerulean Acadamy" -- Taking applications once guilds are implemented
    • Are we seriously discussing the idea of HEX possibly having gotten a 6th color because a random foreign translation of the word means 'six'?

:P

HEX is a blatant copy of Magic The Gathering with only two significant changes: 1 the crappy mtg land system was replaced with the far superior shard system and 2 the 'digital design space' was added, leaving room for both great and horrible innovations on the cardgame that was invented by Richard Garfield.
      "Ignorant beliefs are stains upon the mind."
    • Hex as a curse and Hex as in 'hexagon' are both very simple interpretations. By itself, most people will understand 'hex' as curse, but also understand there is a connection to the number six, if it's appropriate. I would never contend that a game called 'Hex' MUST have to do with the number six, but it could have been a clever nod.

Also going to point out that MtG has a card called Hex, which is a curse that destroys six creatures. So yeah, not exactly unprecedented.