Stone me if you want, but - PvE???

• I've been patient as well. Some things that were said this week, or lack of what were said kind of pinched a nerve that was already prolapsed. We are going to need to see more soon.. And soon meaning like by next Friday, or I fear for some players to tune out that as a community we don't want to tune out.
    • I just wanted to agree that PvE is what makes Hex stand out from the crowd for me and is absolutely why I have spent $1300+ dollars on it. I do limited just to draft cards for PvE (thanks to my Grand King tier rewards, of course). There's nothing particularly wrong with Hex's PvP but I've never been interested in playing competitively against random strangers, and there are a lot of other digital card games with significantly lower barriers to entry there. But literally no one has PvE as good as Hex's already is, and for many (Hearthstone, for example) it seems to be a tossed off, often expensive, afterthought for generating cards for PvP. This is the feature that will keep the game alive and profitable. PvP is, IMO, the sideshow that PvE seems to be being treated as.

Now, I don't play as much as some people here so I haven't actually exhausted the potential the existing content has to offer. But I'd still like to have new stuff to explore in between farming runs on the Arena or existing AZ content.
    • Firstly, a +1 from me to you, OP.

Like many others, I was drawn to HEX over other card games through the promise of PvE. While I wasn't anticipating Shandalar (as cool as that could have been), I was and still am glad to have gotten something other than the bog standard PvP content. If I wanted that, I would just go to MtGO or even the Online Pokemon TCG for a quick fix, though I did dabble in the ladder with my Lixil deck a bit before rotation. Also, should it matter, from when I started to now I've spent close to $700 on cards and equipment and intend to spend more, so don't go around saying "PvE players don't spend money on HEX!"

Dino, while it's good to see some assurance that PvE isn't being thrown away, surely/hopefully you can see where this frustration is coming from. Those of us waiting for something to actually be excited about in this portion of the game have gotten little to nothing of late, other than silence. You mention FRA 2.0 being released 3 months ago, but do you honestly feel that's enough? Have you not seen the disdain this new Arena has been getting? The old FRA, while dull, was still fun to mess around in, while this new version has been panned repeatedly for limiting creativity and having too much hate for specific deck types. Even my mono ruby orc deck, which could sweep the old Arena regularly, can't even get by tier 2 anymore. As such, I've stopped playing it and just run Ruins over and over for my gold, which has gotten rather dull. We NEED something new. We NEED a casual format. We NEED actual proof we haven't been forgotten, NOT news on a PvP-specific release of HEX on consoles.
    • Dinotropia wrote:

I know we all want more information straight away, but there is only so much we can share at this time.
      You're self-publishing now, so you have full control. If you wanted to, you could stick cameras in the office and livestream PvE development. Now I'm not suggesting you go that far. But it's not true that you can't share more information. If you're not sharing more information, it's because you don't want to.

You mention Strongholds as an example of the perils of sharing too early. But that was only a problem because you share so little, so people expect that when you share something you're extremely confident that it will be there. If you were more open to talking about things at earlier stages of development, people would understand that things were more subject to change.

It wasn't always like this. Remember the early days of Hex? They set up an Alpha server and let people play along from the early stages of development up until release. And people were really happy with that, despite all the bugs and changes. Why not try that again with PvE?
    • Mach wrote:

Dinotropia wrote:

I know we all want more information straight away, but there is only so much we can share at this time.
      You're self-publishing now, so you have full control. If you wanted to, you could stick cameras in the office and livestream PvE development. Now I'm not suggesting you go that far. But it's not true that you can't share more information. If you're not sharing more information, it's because you don't want to.
      I think we're all aware that the use of "can't" is not literal and is used for its common meaning.
    • Portensio wrote:

In my opinion Hex is in a bad spot right now .

1- it's financially independent now and has to spend its money very carefully. Pvp being already completed compared to pve it's for them a good idea to continue in that direction.

2- Pve is completely build like an amateur card game . It's just a freaking map with points and some text. It was build very poorly. Hex is/was not a software company and are not good for this. I don't say that the guys that program are bad at all. You can have the best mind in the world if they have no idea how to make things or have no direction then it becomes badly built . They should of got a software company to design the initial pve and built from there. . They could of concentrated on card set ( I think their original design was made by another company but unsure about that )

If I were hex I would make 3 release of pve a year . How is that possible you say

1x az zone with new feature a year
      2x updates to the current az . Adding 2-4 dungeons into the current az and adding side quest to the game .

Buttttt. I'm sure they don't do it because they don't have the money . Which in consequence gives them no new staff.

Pve. Great idea , bad execution. 4 years and 25 million can make AAA games . No wonder gameforge split

Anyone that wants a mmo card game can go play wizards 101 .

Sorry for this but sometimes the truth hurts .

I actually did come here because of the fact that it is listed as a MMO.

And I also started this blog post as Wizard101 as 2 different games as a good foundations, yet is being treated like a game from a genre neither of them are from in the most terrible way possible.
    • The problem is there's no vision for the PvE side of the game, we don't even know what we're waiting for anymore or what we should be excited about. I feel like I'm watching the series "Lost", hoping for the mysteries to unravel themselves yet more questions arise to the point where I'm starting to feel like you guys don't actually have any master plan. FRA updates? They're a stopgap, not the feature you dangle as a carrot to keep PvE players excited. Another AZ? Won't move the needle unless you actually come up with some repeatable/challenging end-game that doesn't get stale in a week. Keeps? Ah fak it, I've said enough about it...
    • Prettymuch every post here reads the same.

We want you to be more open about your vision.
      What do you want PvE to be?
      Long-term, what is your end-game for where PvE is going?

We need to know this so we can know whether we're trudging our way through the desert on the way to a mirage or an oasis.

Obviously we'd all love concrete information, but that's probably too much to expect... but at least give us a bit of a view into how you see the future.

So much has changed since the last time you gave us any insight into the future of PvE, and the bits and pieces of content here and there like the new FRA are just making the path seem even more foggy than before.
      Gamer. Streamer. Photographer. Writer. Anime Lover. Possessor of Stuffed Animals.

Also... I'm terrible at this game.
    • Honestly, I think the team just never stopped building buckets. They dream too big, and want to make things easier for tomorrow, and it's getting in the way of releasing content in a timely fashion. Some of you may remember when I complained about boats. This is exactly what I was talking about: designing new systems that weren't needed instead of working on strongholds. And here we are with Hex presenting the boats as a feature that made AZ2 notable. Nobody wanted boats. Nobody knew about boats. We're waiting for features that we don't even know are still on the table.

Are we still planning on doing raids? What are keeps looking like, these days? What about equipment for every card?
      The KS features are almost there, but now people are sitting around wondering if you're making buckets for boats again. I get that you want to make everything new and exciting, but sometimes you just need content. You have all the tools to make dungeons, so you don't need to make a bunch of systems to switch things up. Dungeons aren't old yet. We need more of them.

But moreover, I honestly think Hex has looked at what players are doing and started to wonder how they can make non-trivial content. Why bother making raids if someone's going to just solo it. The fact that there's no gameplan announced yet makes me think they're trying to tackle the bigger problem of reigning in PvE so that gameplay is meaningful. We've had some threads on this before, but Hex is probably making decisions on it internally.

As a heads up Hex, we need to hear that information.
      Old username: Aradon | Collector backer | Starting a guild for Newbies -- "The Cerulean Acadamy" -- Taking applications once guilds are implemented
    • NicoSharp wrote:

I've been patient as well. Some things that were said this week, or lack of what were said kind of pinched a nerve that was already prolapsed. We are going to need to see more soon.. And soon meaning like by next Friday, or I fear for some players to tune out that as a community we don't want to tune out.
      I posted at last Friday's update, asking just a few info about the VISION they have for PvE. NOTHING binding, just maybe a few ideas, so we'll at least shut up for some time and dream. And here I 100% agree with Nico. After all the latest fuss, I would be really dis-sad-pointed if we don't get a word from the devs, not to be harsh and say Monday (though it should be) but next Friday.
      The Wardens of Entrath is a large, open to public community of Hex enthusiasts with a mission to help and support Hex players and content creators alike!

Find us on our Discord server or website!
    • Kickstarted with Raid Leader tier here.

Literally the only thing i was looking forward to in HEX was the PvE. I have very many other card games to play for PvP and hex isn't one of the ones I am looking to play for the PvP.

still faithfully waiting for any substantial form of PvE in the game =/ haven't played much or spent a dime until i see hex going in a direction that is at least hopeful.
    • NicoSharp wrote:

I've been patient as well. Some things that were said this week, or lack of what were said kind of pinched a nerve that was already prolapsed. We are going to need to see more soon.. And soon meaning like by next Friday, or I fear for some players to tune out that as a community we don't want to tune out.
      "By next Friday, or else" sounds like some ultimatum from an action movie. Okay, lets not be dramatic here.

I'd agree to small additions to already existing maps, an encounter or two per season, maybe a dungeon once two seasons. Personally, I think big updates are overrated, they create hype and someone (or many players) always end up disappointed.
    • Yep the lack of any PvE news has driven me out of my lurking cave.
      Every day I come here to take a look if there is any news, but every day zip!
      A striped down PvP only PS4 version of Hex is fab and all, but if it does bring in extra players as hoped,
      then this will push PvE further down the road, as it has none, so why bother.
      4 years plus is along time to wait, maybe it's time to let go of the dream & move on.
      As so many seem to have all ready done.
      Sad times.
      :(
    • Gryffe wrote:

NicoSharp wrote:

In their defense, we did get a lot of PvE content with the Set7 updates / FRA 2.0.
      The shin'hare warrior sitting in a corner takes a moment of picking his teeth with his wakizashi to snarl at that comment.
      A wakizashi is the wrong tool to use for such a task for several reasons, you would want to use a tanto if you were really committed to a complete disrespect for your weaponry by picking your teeth with it and harming both the blade and your teeth in the process. A wakizashi is around 1.5ft in length usually and given a Shin'hare's stubby little rabbit arms and the fact that you have to slide the blade past your front two teeth to reach the actual flat ones where things would get stuck...that is just a recipe for disaster.