Deck Drilldown - BW Deathcry

• I've been playing the pre-Icecon version of the deck on the ladder and it's pretty decent and fun. Can be both extremely explosive as well as annoyingly (for opp) controlling. I will try out this version as well. Seems more focused after getting rid of the Crusaders and their deckbuilding limit and Succubus instead of Paladin seems a good idea as well.

Not sure about 4x Emperor's Lackey over 3x Lord Blightbark. I haven't had a dead Lord in my hand so far as it's the prime removal magnet. Also Paw of Yazukan got cut entirely. That card can be a lifesaver.
      "Ignorant beliefs are stains upon the mind."
    • Transience wrote:

I've been playing the pre-Icecon version of the deck on the ladder and it's pretty decent and fun. Can be both extremely explosive as well as annoyingly (for opp) controlling. I will try out this version as well. Seems more focused after getting rid of the Crusaders and their deckbuilding limit and Succubus instead of Paladin seems a good idea as well.

Not sure about 4x Emperor's Lackey over 3x Lord Blightbark. I haven't had a dead Lord in my hand so far as it's the prime removal magnet. Also Paw of Yazukan got cut entirely. That card can be a lifesaver.

To rectify/comment on a few things:

- This is my latest publicly available list, it has one paw:
      hexpvptools.net/tournament/1126762315/player/2282304
      Do note that Paw is anti-synergistic with Culmination, thus why it's a one of. It is very powerful all-purpose and a shin'hare though so it stays.

- Some friends and I brought a prototype of this deck to all the way back in the last CCS, hexpvptools.net/tournament/1098439230/player/2075078. The deck was not well tuned and went largely unnoticed because we collectively had a lot of low rolls (teamkills, shard/threshold screw vs angus, running into varranis creating 2 dump-hand board states literally only beatable with clash of steel :P). Nonetheless, it's what I played the entirety of the season on ladder because of it's high grade results vs aggro. Burgleburgle and friends made the crusader version, which Jeff popularized.

- The reason my friends and I avoided the crusaders is because we believe they are a downgrade from succubus versus the aggressive decks, where making the 6/6 or even having the threat of making the 6/6 with emperor's lackey stops the aggro decks from swinging. Crusaders just trade with opposing crusaders/emperor's and cost you 2 health, the card advantage is not very useful in those tempo oriented matchups - you'll have it anyways. And, finally, the crusaders are not great vs DS control bc DS control doesn't kill them; they are immune to DH but also can't swing into DH. The crusader version would be superior if we started seeing more bride control again.

- The lackey as an enabler for sac is critical, thus the 4 of, having him on board makes void removals all whiff vs your deathcry stuff as well as allowing you to crank out culmination or the 6/6 demon. However, there is nothing wrong with 4 lords, running that is fine too. I am just not a fan of running 4 uniques, it's not my preferred kind of greed, I'd rather greed a bit on Woken which is a surprisingly consistent wincon.
    • Thank you for taking the time to clarify and explain.

Sorry for mentioning the other deck as pre-Icecon. I wasn't aware.

I will probably try out this deck in a few different alterations. See how 3 Lords do the job instead of 4. I'm with you by the way on not running 4 unique's usually. Lord Blightbark feels like an exception to that rule.

In the other list I haven't used Emperor's Lackey a lot to sac for deathcry triggers. I need to get into that and see how good it is.

Drokkatar is indeed surprisingly consistent and as close to an auto-concede from opp as possible. If you get it in your hand early you can even strategize effectively to get it out by deciding on what else you play and how to sac for deathcries to summon more troops.
      "Ignorant beliefs are stains upon the mind."