Winner is the Judge: Sept 4 thru Sept 12

• Winner is the Judge: Sept 4 thru Sept 12

The Rules:
      Design a card (or possibly multiple cards) that meets the design constraint described below. The one that I like the best is the winner. You may submit multiple entries, but please be considerate of your fellow players and don't go too overboard. In the case of multiple entries, you will still receive one prize at most.

In addition to any listed prizes, the winner then creates a thread for the next round, creates a new design constraint, and the game continues.

Design Constraint:
      Design a card flavored around a scientific theory, principle, or phenomenon.

(Disclaimer: I'm a physics teacher so feel free if desired to choose esoteric science phenomena. If I don't know what it is, I'm happy to look it up and learn about it.)

Example:
      A simple HEX example that matches science with mechanics and flavor: Turbulence
      • Definition: chaotic changes in pressure and flow velocity
      • How it's shown in card form: The chaotic changes in air pressure make it difficult to fly, thematically destroying creatures with flying

Judging Criteria:
      The following is what I look for in a card, in order of importance to the contest.
      • Thematic (keeps to the constraint. The best cards will have both good science flavor and and the mechanics of the card will evoke the science in some way. In addition, I'm okay if you want to use real world scientist names for this contest. In other words, don't feel obligated it has to fit in Entrath. So go ahead, make Albert Einstein into a legendary troop or make an action called the "Doppler Effect".)
      • Creativity / Uniqueness (do something that hasn't been done before, or maybe do something in a new way)
      • Elegance (keep the amount of rules text to a minimum, but make it clear what your card does)

Rewards:
      1st place: A playset of Syzygy + judge for the next round
      2nd place: A playset of Chlorophyllia

(With enough participation, I will scale the prizes to include more people)

Deadline:
      The contest ends on September 12th, 12:00 pm PDT. I'll then announce the winner that afternoon/night and deliver all prizes soon after.
    • AxelDWater wrote:

Does pseudoscience count? I am watching Fringe these days... :P
      I'm not 100% sure it's a joke or not, but just in case it's not:

Sure, psuedoscience is allowed, but I will give preference to those that incorporate ideas from 'hard' sciences. I'm personally hoping for interesting cards based on such wonderful phenomena like a spell named Rayleigh Scattering that might interrupt Sapphire spells or maybe some sort of Blood spell that drains resources called Reverse Osmosis.

Of course it should go without saying, but a card inspired from the "social sciences" will not be allowed; we all know those aren't really science. :P
    • Name: Black Hole
      Cost: 0
      Threshold Requirement: none
      Type: Constant
      Rarity: Legendary
      Abilities: Void all cards that aren't voided other than Black Holes.
      Than return up to 25 resources to each deck from the void of that deck user as well as the lower amount between 35 nonresource cards or 1% of nonresource cards put into that void this way.
      Favor Text: With how powerful those things are, I'm surprised anything can escape them.
    • invinible wrote:

Name: Black Hole
      Cost: 0
      Threshold Requirement: none
      Type: Constant
      Rarity: Legendary
      Abilities: Void all cards that aren't voided other than Black Holes.
      Than return up to 25 resources to each deck from the void of that deck user as well as the lower amount between 35 nonresource cards or 1% of nonresource cards put into that void this way.
      Favor Text: With how powerful those things are, I'm surprised anything can escape them.
      I'm confused what your card does. I have a couple questions.

1) First, I'm assuming it has a "Deploy" ability that voids all cards. But the question is does this ability include cards in players' crypts, hands, and decks?

2) Do the cards get chosen randomly or do players get to choose the cards?

3) The numbers chosen seem weird to me. If I get the lower of the two values and if my standard 60 card deck has 36 nonresources, if I played Black Hole, then I get 0.36 of a card back. As written, this card would prevent nearly any deck from playing anything useful for the rest of the game and then most games would be just drawing resources and using charge powers. And for the other condition to matter, you would have to play a deck with 350 nonresources and the resources. Is there something I'm missing in the numbers?

4) Lastly, and this is more stylistic... why is this a constant? There doesn't seem to be any sort of continuous effect or any reason for this to stay in play. Wouldn't this just make more sense mechanically as an Action?
    • 1) While I want the ability to be repeatable and used as a deploy effect; I don't want it to be repeatable by copying deploy effect as that isn't how real black holes work.

2) Randomly chosen.

3) It has to do with the fact that it is rare for stuff to escape real black holes other than energy. And the numbers will chosen as it puts the cards at the 5 resources in every 12 cards per deck rule with 25 + 35 = 60.

4) I chose constant over action since once real black holes are formed that they tend to stay around until their energy is used up. Even though matches than to last much shorter than returning cards voided by it as resources would properly show the energy giving up fact.
    • invinible wrote:

1) While I want the ability to be repeatable and used as a deploy effect; I don't want it to be repeatable by copying deploy effect as that isn't how real black holes work.

2) Randomly chosen.

3) It has to do with the fact that it is rare for stuff to escape real black holes other than energy. And the numbers will chosen as it puts the cards at the 5 resources in every 12 cards per deck rule with 25 + 35 = 60.

4) I chose constant over action since once real black holes are formed that they tend to stay around until their energy is used up. Even though matches than to last much shorter than returning cards voided by it as resources would properly show the energy giving up fact.

So I guess I have a new question: What exactly is the purpose of the card? Why would a player want to play it?
    • Absolute Zero
      3 [SAPPHIRE] [SAPPHIRE]
      Action
      Rare

Choose one: Look at target opponents hand and choose a card, or choose a card in play.
      The chosen card can't move anymore. (It can't change zones, attack, or use activated abilities)

Theoretically you can't even zoom in on it anymore, but that would be impractible.

The idea of the card is that at 0 degree Kelvin (I think thats how it's spelled) nothing is moving anymore. The rest is selfexplanatory.
    • 4 - Coriolis Force
      [SAPPHIRE] [WILD]
      Constant - Legendary - Unique

When an opposing troop attacks, it has 50% chance to miss. When an opponent plays a card that deals non combat damage it jas 50% chance to miss.

" Don't forget about our earth's forces when aiming " - Wrenlocke
      The Wardens of Entrath is a large, open to public community of Hex enthusiasts with a mission to help and support Hex players and content creators alike!

Find us on our Discord server or website!
    • This is... a REALLY hard puzzle. I like it...

Rayleigh Scattering
      4 [SAPPHIRE] [SAPPHIRE] [SAPPHIRE] Rare Quick Action

All non-resource cards in all opposing champions hands have each of their thresholds and all thresholds on all effects on each card changed to be [SAPPHIRE] . One random card changed this way is put in your hand. All remaining cards in opposing champions hands get "Revert this at the end of your next turn."

"The colour may only be an illusion, but it sure is convincing..." - Cerulean Scholar

Gamer. Streamer. Photographer. Writer. Anime Lover. Possessor of Stuffed Animals.

Also... I'm terrible at this game.
    • 4 - Rising Tide
      [SAPPHIRE] [SAPPHIRE]
      Constant - Rare - Unique

Troops without Flight cannot attack.
      At the end of each opposing champion's turn, add a tide counter to this. At the end of your turn, if there are five or more counters on this, void this.
      [ONESHOT] : 8 - Remove counters from this equal to the number of troops with Flight you control to a maximum of 5.

" Now is our chance to strike " - Spearcliff Captain
      The Wardens of Entrath is a large, open to public community of Hex enthusiasts with a mission to help and support Hex players and content creators alike!

Find us on our Discord server or website!
    • Arcanyx wrote:

invinible wrote:

1) While I want the ability to be repeatable and used as a deploy effect; I don't want it to be repeatable by copying deploy effect as that isn't how real black holes work.

2) Randomly chosen.

So I guess I have a new question: What exactly is the purpose of the card? Why would a player want to play it?

The purpose was to show that black holes are bad to be around if you don't come up with clever ways to use them.
    • erwin schrodinger

cost: 3 [SAPPHIRE]

human mage, unique

1 [ATTACK] 3 [DEFENSE]

speed

[EXHAUST] : summon a schrodinger's cat

schrodinger's cat

cost: 1 [WILD]

spirit beast

3 [ATTACK] 2 [DEFENSE]

50% chance: the first time this attacks or blocks, sacrifice it

tesla coil

cost: 3

constant

at the start of your turn, you lose [2/0]
      at the end of your turn, you gain [2/0]

faraday's cage

cost: 4

artifact

this can't ready during your ready step.

[BASIC] [EXHAUST] : target troop you control or in your hand gets [SPELLSHIELD] . when that troop leaves play, ready this.

: target troop you control or in your hand gets [INVINCIBLE] . when that troop leaves play, ready this.
    • Inertia
      Constant - Rare
      Troops with 5 or more have Crush.
      Troops with 5 or more can't attack.
      Baffled by the elves' strange "mass enhancement" magic, the dwarves knew their War Hulks were more powerful... just before realizing they were impossible to move.

Bernoulli
      Human mage - Rare - Unique
      Speed, Flight
      Creatures you control with Speed have Flight.
      5/4
      "The key is the shape of the wing devices - with enough speed you eventually take off!" - Bernoulli
    • I really really like this challenge!

Leidenfrost
      Rare Constant
      Whenever you or a troop you control would take non-combat damage, you may lose [SAPPHIRE] to prevent that damage.
      The thin curtain of steam that shielded the mage was nothing compared to the geysers from Angus's ears when he realised what had happened.

Thixotropic Ooze
      3 [RUBY]
      Uncommon Troop - Ooze
      This enters play exhausted and does not ready during your ready step.
      When this takes damage or is targeted by an effect, ready it.
      [ATTACK] 5 / 5 [DEFENSE]
      WARNING: Do not agitate the ooze!

Einsteinian Insanity
      1 [SAPPHIRE] [BLOOD]
      Legendary Quick Action - Chaostouched
      Bury the top card of your opponent's deck. Return this to your hand.
      If you play this at the right time enough, it might just summon you a random Chaostouched.*
      We do the same thing over and over with the expectation of different results because we understand non-linearity.

*[This text would not be shown to players, but I include it here so you know what I'm planning] Each game, this card randomly generates weighting for each game phase (a set for your turn and another set for your opponent's), so that when played in each phase all of your copies of this get a hidden number of counters. When a randomly generated threshold is met, you remove the counters from all of your copies of this and summon a random Chaostouched.

The post was edited 1 time, last by GeneralVeers ().

• Time Dilation
      Legendary constant

Each opposing champion's clock runs out 20% faster.

The mastery of time is the greatest mastery any living being could achieve.

Planckirism

Basic action

Transform all troops in your hand and deck into Plancks.

You'd wish you could see what I am doing.

Planck
      0/1
      Creature - Baseline
      This can't attack or block.
      This can't be targeted by spells or abilities.
      Invincible
      At the start of your turn, if you control 10 or more Plancks, void them all and put into battlefield a card named Planck Constant.

You'd wish you could see those Plancks.

Planck Constant
      Constant
      Spellshield, Invincible
      You can't lose the game by having to draw a card when you have 0 cards in deck.
      At the start of your turn choose one at random then delete that choice: you get 663 life; this deals 663 damage to a random opposing champion or troop; Summon 663 Plancks, Each opposing champion discards 663 cards at random, you draw 663 cards, you gain 663 charges, return up to 663 troop cards at random from graveyards to play under your control.
      When all the choices have been chosen, revert this and then choose a choice for each time this card has been reverted this game and remove that choice.

You'd wish you knew what the meaning of 663 is.

I had a big smile while I was writing this :D
    • Cat-in-the-box

0 cost

Triple sapphire requirement

Unique Oni Constant

Quick

When this enters play, put a paradox counter on this.

At the start of each turn, add a paradox counter to Cat-in-the-box, then chooe at random : This transform into Paradoxical Oni ; or Add another paradox counter to this.

" Is it dead ? Alive ? Translucid ? Fire breathing ? 'Till we open the box, It's all at once ! "

> Paradoxical Oni

0 cost

Unique Oni Troop

Threshold : variable

This has a different threshold for each paradoxical counter on this
      This has power and toughness equal to the number of thresholds it has.

Wild : Spellshield
      Sapphire : Flight
      Blood : lethal
      Ruby : Swfitstrike
      Diamond : Steadfast

" Mind blown...."
      Awaiting the Doomwalker's arrival in Entrath since the Beta.

" Honey, where's my chaos key ?
      - Have you searched in your chaos coat ?
      - Shoot I left it in the chaos car... "

... Still be waiting for a while it seems ...
    • There have been a lot of awesome entries so far. And best of all, it's like everyone is trying to impress me, the physics teacher, with all the physics related cards.

The contest is open for 1 more day, so if you're been waiting, now is the time to strike.

Lastly, I know the prizes aren't that exciting for long time veterans, so I'm willing to give two packs to first and one pack to second if desired.
    • Arcanyx wrote:

And best of all, it's like everyone is trying to impress me, the physics teacher, with all the physics related cards.
      Physics was the science I took in school, so it's the only one I know any terminology from haha

These contests aren't about the prizes, they're about the fun.
      Gamer. Streamer. Photographer. Writer. Anime Lover. Possessor of Stuffed Animals.

Also... I'm terrible at this game.