Friday Update! 9.01.17

• Friday Update! 9.01.17

OMG ITS TGIF @ HQ!!

and you know what that means, EVERY Friday we celebrate the First of September or as 100% of american households know it best... NATIONAL CHERRY POPOVER DAY! that's right every Friday we celebrate one of the nations most enduring holidays, NATIONAL CHERRY POPOVER DAY... be sure to check out these fun ways to celebrate ( 5 BEST CHERRY DAY BANG UPS! )
      We like to keep it simple here at the office, 'gather round the Cherry Tree and exchange gifts as we sip cherry cordials, I had Jared this year in the Secret Washington gift swap (oh as if you didn't know... George Washington is the official mascot of Cherry Popover day), anyway I got Jared this sweet AA...

Jared seemed to like it, but I can tell he is still a bit upset... he thought is was NATIONAL CHERRY POP DAY, he missed the over part and had some VERY different expectations... oh well maybe next year

OH BOY! that was a great Friday update!!!!

first up, we have the new ladder! that's right its time to start climbing again! I will say that sleeve is fucking gross... I love it! and the AA guidance is amazing so super cool, I really love AA common and uncommon stuff, when I can swap in a little extra cool card it just feels great (although extending the art on those is PRICEY!)

THE BIG NEWS...
      the thing I kept alluding to, the launch of HEX: CARD CLASH on PS4
      first up... why the different name?
      couple of reasons, first and foremost the game has a different set of features, secondarily I wanted new players to be able to see the name and have some idea of what its about, clearly CARD CLASH gives you a bit more than SHARDS OF FATE, and really this is move to PS4 is 100% about finding NEW players.

jumping back to the different features comments, I want to make sure everyone is clear about what it takes to put HEX on PS4, its not just about the technical challenge its ALSO about living inside of Sony's very tightly controlled garden, they are very careful about what can and cannot be done on the PS4 (rightfully so), the features in Card Clash are specifically tuned around what being a free to play game means on console means.

Lets get to the questions:

Will the PS4 version have access to the Campaign
      No, we have built a new player experience around the Dueling Pits! Players will have the chance to pilot five different pre-con decks and play against a combination of AI opponents and other players. Dueling Pit matches will reward players with gold and unlock one of the five pre-con decks.

Wait... what's gold for if there is no campaign?
      we will be adding a commons only pack to the PS4 store (not on the PC, although we could add it if players want it) its 1000G and gives you 10 random standard legal commons.
      Players on the PS4 can also use gold to buy items from the auction house. We are considering launching campaign on console as a completely separate stand alone product, a single player experience that rewards cards and really manages the flow of leveling in a way we cannot do in standard HEX. Just something we are considering, but I like the idea...

So there IS an Auction House?
      YES! you will have access to the "Quick-Buy" and "Quick-Sell" feature as a PS4 player, all PS4 transactions will all be integrated into one large economy with the PC players, its not a separate economy in any form. And we hope to have the "Quick-Buy" and "Quick-Sell" feature (along side the normal AH) in the PC client relatively quickly.

One Large Economy! Great will I be playing with people on the PS4 if I am on the PC?
      YES! full cross platform play on ALL platforms is the #1 goal and frankly the only reason for doing other platforms, we want to grow the player base so tournaments fire off faster and you ALWAYS have someone to play with day or night. We are actively translating into Japanese and putting out HEX in Japan on the PS4 would be AMAZING... playing at 3AM with my friends in Tokyo is something I want to make happen.

Can I link my HEX / STEAM account to the PS4?
      I know this will likely be the fly in the soup for our current players, but sadly no. Living within the rules of the Sony ecosystem made this impossible. I am very sorry and we are cooking up a process by which you can send stuff from your account for a one way trip to your PS4 account (if you want to peel off a play set of stuff and put it on console we will work to make that happen.) I would just ask that you keep in mind the benefit to our current players isn't the ability to play HEX on the couch instead of the PC (and admittedly that's cool) its about getting you a BUNCH of new people to play and trade with, increasing your collections value and making it easier to find games. I am super sorry and in the end the choice was do it this way or don't do console, and I think I made the right choice.

I hate you Cory!...
      I know... I hate me also :)

Can I play on the PC with a console controller?
      According to Chris Woods YES, it will be added to the PC client with the other features from the PS4 version (I recommend using a Guitar Hero controller for added difficulty)
      and to be clear ALL the cool features from the PS4 version should be added to the PC in the near future

What Formats of Tournaments will be available?
      All of the current formats and tournaments will be available on the PS4, again sort of the point of doing this...
      And I think new players will be really blown away by how much we have going on as a community, heck playing for real money every weekend is pretty amazing!

So JUST PS4 or what?
      nope we are working on "other" consoles... and we are working VERY hard on Tablet! One of the reasons we did console (beyond the access to new players) is the reality that much of the work would be the same stuff we need for tablet. Now that we are over this hurdle I think tablet can come pretty quickly, we are targeting year end. I know by saying that I just signed a virtual contract with you to be angry with me later when it takes longer, but fuck it... I like being honest with our plans. That said, the 19th is looking good for PS4 but keep in mind we are in submission now, and its not a process we are terribly familiar with, so far so good but please keep in mind that date could slip by a week or so...

....deep breath, OK that was a LOT...

there is an ocean board, you should get it

there is a BASH with a cash prize, you should get it

there is a CLASH with a cash prize, you should get it...

A NEW EXALTED!!!!! YES!!!!

as I mentioned in the last Friday Update... Update, I always felt both happy and miserable giving out the Exalted reward, yes I LOVE recognizing our amazing community members, but always felt terrible that so many went unrecognized. So this year and for the next few years at least we will do three per year!

This first one was close! We have two people that are a lock for Technical Exalted, this year is Bogycoins! I can absolutely say with 100% confidence that Hex.Tcgbrowser is the number one external tool I use for HEX. I have loved it from the first moment it existed and it really made me feel (as someone here making the game) that we had honest to god partners in the community, helping make the vision of HEX come to life. Bogy you deserve this honor and we hope to have you as part of the HEX family for a long time to come...

so I mentioned some fun stuff around exalted, and I meant it! coming on Thursday we will have an interview with Bogycoins, AND we will have his EXALTED GIFT decision...
      yes a new exalted feature is the "Gift of the Exalted" , each of this years exalted will pick from this list and everyone with an account (as of 8/31) will get the "Gift of the Exalted"
      so here is the list:
      - 4 Promo Stardust (bound to account)
      - 1 Shards of Fate Pack (bound to account)
      - 2 Frost Heart Primal Chests (bound to account)
      - "The Moon Will Avenge us!" Sleeve (see below)
      - 1 AA Pippit Hustler (see below)
      - Mercenary G24A-19 (see below)

the goodies:

"THE MOON WILL AVENGE US" sleeve

Pippit Hustler AA

and, Mercenary G24A-19

There you have it, Bogycoins will pick ONE of these rewards and EVERYONE will get it! And the two Exalted left to be named will ALSO pick a reward for everyone... heck it could be the same reward 3 times!

well there it is, the Friday Update... Update
      I love you all and look forward to a bright future for HEX

-cory
    • HEXCoryJones wrote:

YES! you will have access to the "Quick-Buy" and "Quick-Sell" feature as a PS4 player, all PS4 transactions will all be integrated into one large economy with the PC players, its not a separate economy in any form. And we hope to have the "Quick-Buy" and "Quick-Sell" feature (along side the normal AH) in the PC client relatively quickly.
      To clarify: is Quick Buy and Quick Sell the extent of AH functionality, or is there a full AH in addition to it?
    • Mach wrote:

HEXCoryJones wrote:

To clarify: is Quick Buy and Quick Sell the extent of AH functionality, or is there a full AH in addition to it?
      PS4 is only quick buy and quick sell, but the functionality is good, I'm not sure they will miss the regular AH
    • HEXCoryJones wrote:

We are considering launching campaign on console as a completely separate stand alone product, a single player experience that rewards cards and really manages the flow of leveling in a way we cannot do in standard HEX. Just something we are considering, but I like the idea..
      This sounds really cool. I always thought it would be better in campaign if it were more pre-determined, at least for the first couple of hours. Now all the loot is random and there is no real sense of progression unless you put the restrictions in yourself. I could run a new character and not get a single useful card for my character out of the pack drops. Having loot drops be based on what race/class you are would add to the game play in my opinion. Obviously that's a lot of work to tailor each progression tree to all the difference races or classes. But if you're doing that work anyway might consider adding it to the PC client as well.
    • HEXCoryJones wrote:

I know this will likely be the fly in the soup for our current players, but sadly no. Living within the rules of the Sony ecosystem made this impossible. I am very sorry and we are cooking up a process by which you can send stuff from your account for a one way trip to your PS4 account (if you want to peel off a play set of stuff and put it on console we will work to make that happen.) I would just ask that you keep in mind the benefit to our current players isn't the ability to play HEX on the couch instead of the PC (and admittedly that's cool) its about getting you a BUNCH of new people to play and trade with, increasing your collections value and making it easier to find games. I am super sorry and in the end the choice was do it this way or don't do console, and I think I made the right choice.
      The only questions I have are... Hex players are only allowed one account unless they kickstart... so how can I have both a PS4 account and a Hex account?

And... if I play on PS4(since I get that free evo there...), is anything stopping me from sending the cards I get from limited events I play to my PC account?
      Gamer. Streamer. Photographer. Writer. Anime Lover. Possessor of Stuffed Animals.

Also... I'm terrible at this game.
    • HEXCoryJones wrote:

PS4 is only quick buy and quick sell, but the functionality is good, I'm not sure they will miss the regular AH
      I can think of a few cases with quick sell, based on the description we have:

1. If there are no copies of a card currently on the AH in your desired currency, I'm not sure what happens.
      2. If the only copies available are at some ridiculous price, quick sell doesn't let you post at a reasonable price.
      3. QS doesn't let you undercut to sell faster.
    • For the love of Zoltog, someone better pick that Mercenary....

Also, Cory, and HXE - would love, at some point, a more in-depth discussion/explanation about PvE plans, if any, for PS4. Such a wonderful mode for a potentially new playerbase to lose.
      Although, I do understand the reasoning to eliminate the buckets, that help other modes fire faster.
    • Eraia wrote:

HEXCoryJones wrote:

The only questions I have are... Hex players are only allowed one account unless they kickstart... so how can I have both a PS4 account and a Hex account?
      And... if I play on PS4(since I get that free evo there...), is anything stopping me from sending the cards I get from limited events I play to my PC account?
      DOH! the question I forgot and a good question!

Will there be MAIL in the PS4 client?
      not at first but it will come in the near future, there are very tight controls on how a mail system must be created and controlled, and it has some big tech hurdles (but all manageable, and we will get it done)

YES, you can have another account on PS4 :)
    • Cory,

It's weird that Sony isn't letting us use our current Hex/Steam accounts on the PS4. This isn't the first game that has cross-platform play. FFXIV lets you play on both the PC and PS4 with the same character. Granted you have to buy the game twice if you want to be on PS4 and PC. But if they allow that much of cross-play feature, why all of a sudden don't they do it here?
      There was a signature here. It's gone now.
    • Darkwonders wrote:

Cory,

It's weird that Sony isn't letting us use our current Hex/Steam accounts on the PS4. This isn't the first game that has cross-platform play. FFXIV lets you play on both the PC and PS4 with the same character. Granted you have to buy the game twice if you want to be on PS4 and PC. But if they allow that much of cross-play feature, why all of a sudden don't they do it here?
      remember HEX is sort of unique in that we have an AH with soft and hard currency and we are very focused on trading objects with player value. Fraud and Fraud controls are very important to most owners of closed gaming platforms.
    • HEXCoryJones wrote:

Eraia wrote:

HEXCoryJones wrote:

The only questions I have are... Hex players are only allowed one account unless they kickstart... so how can I have both a PS4 account and a Hex account?And... if I play on PS4(since I get that free evo there...), is anything stopping me from sending the cards I get from limited events I play to my PC account?
      DOH! the question I forgot and a good question!
      not at first but it will come in the near future, there are very tight controls on how a mail system must be created and controlled, and it has some big tech hurdles (but all manageable, and we will get it done)

YES, you can have another account on PS4 :)
      That's a bit of a strange move if the economies are shared. Just a bit, though. I'd really like people to be able to have a second account by subscribing to VIP, fixes a lot of things that people have been asking for earlier like playing pve inbetween pvp rounds as well as encouraging more play. Lock the username on the second account to usernameII and make it so any support name changes change both so you can easily tell if people are abusing by entering same tournament etc. What do you think?
    • HEXCoryJones wrote:

Darkwonders wrote:

Cory,

remember HEX is sort of unique in that we have an AH with soft and hard currency and we are very focused on trading objects with player value. Fraud and Fraud controls are very important to most owners of closed gaming platforms.
      Oh right. There's nothing of real value tied to an MMO account. Forgot about that bit of information.
      There was a signature here. It's gone now.
    • HEXCoryJones wrote:

not at first but it will come in the near future, there are very tight controls on how a mail system must created, and it has some big tech hurdles (but all manageable, and we will get it done)
      In the interim, will it be a terms of service violation for me to list something on the AH for cheap to sell it 'to myself' as a way to transfer items between accounts?

HEXCoryJones wrote:

Darkwonders wrote:

Cory,

I figured the RMAH was probably the big difference.
      Gamer. Streamer. Photographer. Writer. Anime Lover. Possessor of Stuffed Animals.

Also... I'm terrible at this game.
    • KingGabriel wrote:

That's a bit of a strange move if the economies are shared. Just a bit, though. I'd really like people to be able to have a second account by subscribing to VIP, fixes a lot of things that people have been asking for earlier like playing pve inbetween pvp rounds as well as encouraging more play. Lock the username on the second account to usernameII and make it so any support name changes change both so you can easily tell if people are abusing by entering same tournament etc. What do you think?
      hmmm.... that's a good idea, let me run it by the team...
    • HEXCoryJones wrote:

first and foremost the game has a different set of features
      Which will be coming to the PC to make the two clients as close as possible...right?

HEXCoryJones wrote:

No, we have built a new player experience around the Dueling Pits! Players will have the chance to pilot five different pre-con decks and play against a combination of AI opponents and other players. Dueling Pit matches will reward players with gold and unlock one of the five pre-con decks.
      You (company) are REALLY taking a huge risk there, good Lord! You're porting just half the game. I'm also assuming that FRA won't be an option, not at start and not for quite a while. I don't know how much I'd give to see the data on why you believe this is a worthwhile move (I sure hope you think this is a worthwhile move, as in you'll get a ton of new players that will somehow be interested in PvP only). A PS4 port should not be just a glorified advertisement for the PC version.

@HEXCoryJones could you dispel my fears that this does not mean that PvE features don't change rank in your priority list to go even more towards the bottom? Be honest, we're all grownups and we can handle it.

HEXCoryJones wrote:

nope we are working on "other" consoles... and we are working VERY hard on Tablet! One of the reasons we did console (beyond the access to new players) is the reality that much of the work would be the same stuff we need for tablet. Now that we are over this hurdle I think tablet can come pretty quickly, we are targeting year end.
      This is the most amazing thing I heard this month.
    • I must say that see Hex on my tablet or on my (future) Switch, could be awesome, but if collection is not share, you buried my hype to buy a PS4, but I knew this will happen :P

@HEXCoryJones About Colletion "sharing" between platforms, this is a "decission" only because Sony? Or if will be an XboxOne version, will be the same decission?

Then If I have a second account on PS4, this is baneable?
      You say you are studying a way to send things..this means PS4 versions will not have "Mail" and you can't Mail/COD to Ps4 players?

Anyway, "who cares", please, that Tablet Version, come on..you now you will rock on mobile.

Regards.
    • HEXCoryJones wrote:

Will the dueling pit decks be on a higher power level than the PVP "starter decks" we've had so far?

If not, isn't the transition from dueling pits to ladder going to be pretty rough for PS4 players?

HEXCoryJones wrote:

Can I play on the PC with a console controller?
      According to Chris Woods YES, it will be added to the PC client with the other features from the PS4 version (I recommend using a Guitar Hero controller for added difficulty)
      and to be clear ALL the cool features from the PS4 version should be added to the PC in the near future
      Fuck yes.

HEXCoryJones wrote:

So JUST PS4 or what?
      nope we are working on "other" consoles... and we are working VERY hard on Tablet!
      Switch plz. But regardless, fuck yes.

HEXCoryJones wrote:

so here is the list:
      - 4 Promo Stardust (bound to account)
      - 1 Shards of Fate Pack (bound to account)
      - 2 Frost Heart Primal Chests (bound to account)
      - "The Moon Will Avenge us!" Sleeve (see below)
      - 1 AA Pippit Hustler (see below)
      - Mercenary G24A-19 (see below)
      2017 Exalted, if all three of you pick "1 Shards of Fate Pack (bound to account)" you will go down in history as legendary trolls. Godspeed.