Friday Update! 9.01.17

    • Interesting. Meaning that HXE evaluates a C/UC/R/L chest at 2000 Gold? Doesn't sound right, somehow. Even going like "PS4 packs essentialy cost 190p" (assuming a gold:plat rate of 200:1), I think the PS4 packs are worse. Chests, chest contents plus the WoF rewards are worth more than that (even when you spend Gold to roll in WoF).

      I probably shouldn't say anything because it doesn't affect me (don't own a PS4). And Cory can put the flame retardant suit under his desk for easy access again.

      But still, I kinda feel bad about the PS4 players.
    • Vroengard wrote:

      Interesting. Meaning that HXE evaluates a C/UC/R/L chest at 2000 Gold? Doesn't sound right, somehow. Even going like "PS4 packs essentialy cost 190p" (assuming a gold:plat rate of 200:1), I think the PS4 packs are worse. Chests, chest contents plus the WoF rewards are worth more than that (even when you spend Gold to roll in WoF).

      I probably shouldn't say anything because it doesn't affect me (don't own a PS4). And Cory can put the flame retardant suit under his desk for easy access again.

      But still, I kinda feel bad about the PS4 players.
      Yeah I wouldn't go for that if given the choice between both pack types personally, this really seems like its going to upset people because the PS4 version of the game is just short features and has one game mode to show for it. Hopefully the game communicates to players early on what the PC version offers and what they are getting in exchange but I kind of doubt Sony would let that go through as it takes people away from their platform...so it looks like a flower bed from which to grow problems. Really puts the release in a bad light but hopefully new players who choose to come over to the PC version don't just quit when they realize they can't transfer their accounts to the superior PC version.
    • It's clearly a portal for competitive card game players that (for some reason I can't fathom) don't play from their PCs to play competitive Hex from their PS4s. I mean, sure, there must be some out there. Are they enough to warrant such a huge effort from the rookie HXE and the continuous drain in resources in the future?
    • Timlagor wrote:

      While the ability to do it from collection is awesome.. having the price locked by someone else's is absolutely horrific. Especially given the state of the AH.

      Even if the worst case of someone listing something good cheap and then hoovering up PS4 listings doesn't happen (it would be quite a gamble) this is going to be problematic
      At the bare minimum before the PS4 launch, Hex should really change the longest AH listing time to infinite instead of 48hrs for PC users, and then at least the majority of the cards will be seeded at somewhat normal prices. At the worst, there would be a plethora of commons and uncommons at 50 gold each to facilitate the new PS4 guys.

      It will only take a few people to build out the entire foundation at reasonable pricing, then the quick buy/sell method will be a lot more accurate and reliable.
    • I'm having flashbacks to the cheapest only bug where people were charged upwards of double the price of a card due to there only being one listing and nothing to relate it to. That was a bug, but the same basic thing could happen to ps4 users.

      People are constantly trying to manipulate prices of cards because of the low volume. On any given day the only listing of a certain card could be way more than it's average value over the last few days. If there is no pricing information given to players in game I can see the quick buy/sell having major issues.
    • MealyMouth wrote:

      At the bare minimum before the PS4 launch, Hex should really change the longest AH listing time to infinite instead of 48hrs for PC users, and then at least the majority of the cards will be seeded at somewhat normal prices. At the worst, there would be a plethora of commons and uncommons at 50 gold each to facilitate the new PS4 guys.
      Or better yet, allow automation. Add an API to list cards (don't even need to let buying be automated) and the community will do the rest.
    • HEXCoryJones wrote:

      Utremeld wrote:

      Utremeld wrote:

      What happens to the chest if you buy and open a pack on the PS4 version? You didn't address this in your post and I'm curious.

      Fred wrote:

      @HEXCoryJones, there is one question missing from your FAQ... Players opening regular packs on the PS4, do the also get a chest in addition to their cards? It would seem superfluous since there's no PvE on that platform, but on the other hand, it would be awkward that PS4 players obtain less stuff for the same price.
      Yes, please answer this question
      No chest on the PS4 versionsame price for packs

      *slowly puts on flame retardant suit*

      actually we are giving players a "Chest 'O Gold" with every pack instead of a regular chest

      these chests auto open and dump 2000 gold into your account for every pack you buy
      this is good, it lets you buy 2 packs of the 10 common cards, giving you 32 commons for 2 bucks (new player friendly)
      or you can use the gold to buy play sets of the uncommon cards you need from the AH (again new player friendly)
      Oh my. That is interesting. So the glut of uncommon cards from the PC sphere will trickle into the PS4 sphere until mail is set up, as will box rares. The PS4 gold sinks sound to be the common packs since kismet packs wouldn't exist until the PS4 folks get the standalone campaign @ future date. Fewer faucets and sinks initially available but the ladder season will supply a constant 2 month cycle of base gold and packs.

      So for the folks who get hooked on Hex quickly and want to participate in the bash, they will be buying up cards rapidly from the AH. Clash contenders will soak up packs, likely using their built up gold from the pits/leveling/ladder. If the push is successful we will see demand spike for tournament staples, deck defining alt arts and packs trending towards the store price. Extended Art cards also have a new buyers market on PS4 since PC has greater access.

      Commons were already fairly ubiquitous and we don't have a way to put in a market ceiling with player behavior. Snap! Are we not expecting AZ3 keeps/crafting or it's equivalent until PvE is revamped and launched as a stand alone? PvE released in an episodic adventure mode with a taste of chose your own adventure might be fun. If this is anywhere near the mark, you are going to need a stuntman, fire extinguisher and the name of a plastic surgeon. A simple flame retardant suit wont likely protect from the wrathful flames of snarky forum posters.

      Or I am wrong and full of dumb. Probably the latter.
    • Transience wrote:

      Am I correct in thinking that this is a combination of software (the Steam Link) and hardware (a controller) that allows you to emulate as if you were using a PS4? Is it exactly the same experience? Does your TV need to have wifi for it?
      The Steam Link is a box that you hook up to your TV that lets you stream games from your PC to your TV. Your TV doesn't need anything special, but you either need to connect the Link to WiFi or Ethernet (Ethernet is better, obviously, but WiFi is probably fine for a slower-paced game like Hex). Some newer Samsung TVs also have Steam Link built into them I think, but I'm not sure how that works.

      You can use the Link with the official Steam Controller or with a wide variety of other ones (basically any bluetooth or USB controller, or an Xbox 360 controller if you have the wireless dongle for it).

      Since the game is actually playing on your PC, it will be the same experience as the PC version, which will be the same or better than the PS4 version once it gets controller support.
    • HEXCoryJones wrote:

      Utremeld wrote:

      Utremeld wrote:

      What happens to the chest if you buy and open a pack on the PS4 version? You didn't address this in your post and I'm curious.

      Fred wrote:

      @HEXCoryJones, there is one question missing from your FAQ... Players opening regular packs on the PS4, do the also get a chest in addition to their cards? It would seem superfluous since there's no PvE on that platform, but on the other hand, it would be awkward that PS4 players obtain less stuff for the same price.
      Yes, please answer this question
      No chest on the PS4 versionsame price for packs

      *slowly puts on flame retardant suit*

      actually we are giving players a "Chest 'O Gold" with every pack instead of a regular chest

      these chests auto open and dump 2000 gold into your account for every pack you buy
      this is good, it lets you buy 2 packs of the 10 common cards, giving you 32 commons for 2 bucks (new player friendly)
      or you can use the gold to buy play sets of the uncommon cards you need from the AH (again new player friendly)
      Alright feels weird for me to ask questions now since I'll be interviewing @HEXCoryJones on Monday but...

      > What will PS4 players be able to actually use gold on? <

      -So far it sounds like there are two faucets (pack purchase & duel pit) being added and one faucet being removed for PS4 (PVE)
      -Meanwhile ALL sinks are being removed from PS4. They will not have chests to roll & they will not have kismet packs to buy. They can buy stuff on the AH with gold but that's not really a sink as it isn't being removed from the economy it is merely changing hands. [I take that back, there will be the common packs... which will be negative EV 100% of the time]

      With that being the case it seems like it would be hard for PS4 players to grasp why their gold is worth anything. They can go investigate and find out that their gold is worth something to players that are using a different platform and that those players have access to content that the PS4 players do not. This situation is strictly a negative play experience.

      You're potentially rewarding players with something that doesn't benefit them directly and at that point it isn't much of a reward. Players needing to jump through hoops in order for their rewards to feel rewarding is already a problem for PC players and doesn't seem like a good foot to start PS4 players off on.

      I really want the PS4 launch to be a success, the #1 thing above all else that I want in Hex is to have more people to play with. We want the PS4 players to have an experience that is "HOLY FUCK BALLS THIS GAME IS AMAZING" rather than "Yeah, it was okay I guess" and having too many negative experiences is going to tilt the needle in the wrong direction.
    • HEXCoryJones wrote:

      AnomalyCobra wrote:

      so no mail and no linked account... am i really supposed to start over completely
      as I mentioned, we are working on giving you the chance to send off stuff (one way trip) from your PC account to the PS4 account.

      Mail WILL be in just not at launch, it should be relatively near future after that.
      Did you consider that PS4 players without PC will be at an absolute disadvantage compared to those who do?
      "Winning with terrormill is not fun? Try losing with it"
    • Arkansaw wrote:

      HEXCoryJones wrote:

      AnomalyCobra wrote:

      so no mail and no linked account... am i really supposed to start over completely
      as I mentioned, we are working on giving you the chance to send off stuff (one way trip) from your PC account to the PS4 account.
      Mail WILL be in just not at launch, it should be relatively near future after that.
      Did you consider that PS4 players without PC will be at an absolute disadvantage compared to those who do?
      How so?
    • Another thought, what's the point of a commons pack with no format to support it? (No one will get to cosmic with only commons/uncommons and the staples can be easily get on AH already).

      Is there a plan to support rock or some format like this? With an influx of new players arriving, the queue timed shouldnt be an issue.
      Twitter: @Plotynus
    • Funktion wrote:

      Arkansaw wrote:

      HEXCoryJones wrote:

      AnomalyCobra wrote:

      so no mail and no linked account... am i really supposed to start over completely
      as I mentioned, we are working on giving you the chance to send off stuff (one way trip) from your PC account to the PS4 account.Mail WILL be in just not at launch, it should be relatively near future after that.
      Did you consider that PS4 players without PC will be at an absolute disadvantage compared to those who do?
      How so?
      If you have both versions, PC is still going to be way better...unless you don't have a PC.
      "Winning with terrormill is not fun? Try losing with it"
    • Arkansaw wrote:

      Funktion wrote:

      Arkansaw wrote:

      Did you consider that PS4 players without PC will be at an absolute disadvantage compared to those who do?
      How so?
      If you have both versions, PC is still going to be way better...unless you don't have a PC.
      Just to be clear... you're not saying that they are actually at a disadvantage though? You're just saying that the PC will have features that the PS4 does not?
    • Week ago when i heard about PS4 i was very excited, but right now im worried.

      There is to many diff between pc and PS4 and this will eat much time to handle both versions, new platforms are also comming ... and preparing build/patch for each will take a lot of time, counting testing and bug fixing on this

      Im worried that pve is or will be abbaddon. And more players pve oriented will quit then this platforms bring... (Players that spend money)

      Its just my concerns...
    • Vroengard wrote:

      It's clearly a portal for competitive card game players that (for some reason I can't fathom) don't play from their PCs to play competitive Hex from their PS4s. I mean, sure, there must be some out there. Are they enough to warrant such a huge effort from the rookie HXE and the continuous drain in resources in the future?
      Because probably, the main reason of this move is to farm "Japanese Dungeon". Was clearly said by @HEXCoryJones, the idea is not for actual players play from couch (you can do this easy with PC anyway), but for new players, and in Japan, consoles (and PS4 in particular) has bigger fanbase than PC, sum to this, it's the first TCG in consoles.
    • Canter wrote:

      Vroengard wrote:

      It's clearly a portal for competitive card game players that (for some reason I can't fathom) don't play from their PCs to play competitive Hex from their PS4s. I mean, sure, there must be some out there. Are they enough to warrant such a huge effort from the rookie HXE and the continuous drain in resources in the future?
      Because probably, the main reason of this move is to farm "Japanese Dungeon". Was clearly said by @HEXCoryJones, the idea is not for actual players play from couch (you can do this easy with PC anyway), but for new players, and in Japan, consoles (and PS4 in particular) has bigger fanbase than PC, sum to this, it's the first TCG in consoles.
      No, you misunderstood what he was saying. He said that the PS4 port is not so that PC players (us) can shift to PS4 for comfort. He said that in response to the question "Will we be able to link out existing PC account?".

      Plus your post only says "players". There are PvE players too. And there are hybrid players too. And there are non-hardcore competitive players too. Aren't they the target of HXE? If you go back and read my post, your answer didn't address any main point.


      DraXor wrote:

      Im worried that pve is or will be abbaddon. And more players pve oriented will quit then this platforms bring... (Players that spend money)
      That too.