Friday Update! 9.01.17

• AnomalyCobra wrote:

so no mail and no linked account... am i really supposed to start over completely
      The below is the answer to your question... a wholehearted "Kind of but not entirely"

HEXCoryJones wrote:

I am very sorry and we are cooking up a process by which you can send stuff from your account for a one way trip to your PS4 account (if you want to peel off a play set of stuff and put it on console we will work to make that happen.)
      Gamer. Streamer. Photographer. Writer. Anime Lover. Possessor of Stuffed Animals.

Also... I'm terrible at this game.
    • So many things in single post :O

So first and the most important thing. Will Jarads AA be in client soon? Is it possibly coming with the AA Inflict Doubt from those years ago. Yes I remember

---

Okay so PS4 time.

I'll be honest from the start here and say hearing this worries me a lot.
      I'm going to run backwards for the questions.

I'm glad to hear that other platforms are being explored. Any new platform is a potential new market and I don't see much downside for trying (though the timing of it may make a difference but that's a different discussion). I won't be using any of the other platforms you launch it on probably but anything that can bring more players seems good to me.

It's great that PS4 players will be playing the battleground formats we all know. (Insert clever and subtle on using it as an opportunity to bring back some removed features like pod drafting or an ondemand queue for constructed so they have more options)

I don't plan to play hex with a controller but it's cool that it should work. I'll order a Guitar Hero controller later today just in case though.

I don't hate you Cory, it's more of an intense distaste.

Not linking accounts is interesting. I would have been excited to get rolling in straight away with the PS4 version but I'm also not against trying it again from scratch. At least i'll know what the new player experience is like on there.

Yay more players playing together. I also hope the Japanese version kicks off. I would love to have more players around in the noon/evening time for me to play against. (Just remember to make some tournaments they can play when you do Cory :P )

It's a shame they won't have access to the full auction house but I suppose if the equipment and PvE cards are useless on the client it would be a shame for the players to spend their currency on something they can't use. The Quick-Buy features worries me since some players might really overpay for cards because they decided to buy at an awkward time.

This is the part that worries me. The game is going to be an incredible hurdle for PS4 players now. From what's been announced the dueling pits will only reward one of the decks and some gold but this probably isn't intended to be the place for them to play for too long from what I can tell with the plan being they move over to the battlegrounds eventually? So then the day to day player is expected to either push through the constructed ladder to get a few packs + gold every 2 months and try to sell stuff on the AH to play limited without having to spend huge amounts on the game just to supply their deck or maintain their limited play. It me worries that the game is going to be viewed either a as cash grab or something people only play maybe a couple of days every so often because of it.
      It also worries me how players will react when the players find out that they've spent time and possibly money on a game which has more features on a different platform. People tend to not positively when they feel cheated.
      Will the kismet packs and AZ packs still be in the store for them like the trailer video because I think letting them buy content which has items they flat out can't use will also be a problem.
      I'm sure you've thought this through more than I have but this choice does worry me a lot. There's a lot of negatives to it and I'm not really seeing any positives.

----

Happier news which I like to hear!

So first of all congratulations to Bogycoins. I don't use your site much I know many players do so you're certainly deserving of it.

And the new bonus addition the Exalted program is sweet. And a pretty big decision to put onto them (It's okay if you choose wrong Romichete, I'll forgive you eventually).
      I'm interested by the use of account bound items. We haven't seen it too much but it's very interesting to see. The primal (promo?) stardust, pack and primal chest are cool but it's the new and shiny things that get me excited. (Except not really shiny because hex dropped foil for valid reasons but you get the idea).

I would like to hope that the Sleeve, AA and Merc get used elsewhere if none of the exalteds choose them since they've been made and all look really cool but I also would understand if they get reserved for future exalted things.
      Also that coyotle sleeve kind of makes me want to see a whole series of them based on the other 7 core races and maybe even some other races after that.

----

I like the posts as always Cory. I may not agree with your choice on the PS4 but that doesn't change that I really like the game we already have.
    • Thoom wrote:

2017 Exalted, if all three of you pick "1 Shards of Fate Pack (bound to account)" you will go down in history as legendary trolls. Godspeed.
      I don't know, promo stardust seems worse as not everyone wants to extend card art. If they're allowed multiples, 6 FrostHeart Primal chests would be pretty crazy to open. Wonder if the exclusive promos get thrown in a blender if they aren't picked or if they get put up for 1kp each or something. I'd be super surprised if none picked mercenary.
    • AnomalyCobra wrote:

so no mail and no linked account... am i really supposed to start over completely

HEXCoryJones wrote:

I would just ask that you keep in mind the benefit to our current players isn't the ability to play HEX on the couch instead of the PC (and admittedly that's cool) its about getting you a BUNCH of new people to play and trade with, increasing your collections value and making it easier to find games.
      Your question was answered in the OP, actually. (tag teaming with @Eraia , it's the end of times!)
    • Once we have mail, a lot of the concerns about not being able to link accounts and new people wanting to transition to PC go away. It's a little tedious to transfer a lot of stuff between accounts, but it's doable. The shorter the wait on that feature the better. I'm a little baffled about spending time doing one way trips from PC to PS4, when a mail system would automatically handle that.

Also interesting with the two accounts, is it opens up the ability to queue up a draft on the PS4 and play PvE on my laptop.
    • HEXCoryJones wrote:

AnomalyCobra wrote:

as I mentioned, we are working on giving you the chance to send off stuff (one way trip) from your PC account to the PS4 account.

Mail WILL be in just not at launch, it should be relatively near future after that.
      Sorry if I'm not understanding, but if mail will be in the game at some point, wouldn't the one way trip be pointless? If we're allowed to have a PS4 account and a PC account why would we choose to give up the flexibility of moving stuff around?

Like, I said I may be misunderstanding, but does this mean that mail in the PS4 can only send to other PS4 players or is it that you're effectively saying that if we choose to have a PS4 account we aren't allowed to share cards between once mail is incorporated?
    • Blitzkind wrote:

HEXCoryJones wrote:

AnomalyCobra wrote:

as I mentioned, we are working on giving you the chance to send off stuff (one way trip) from your PC account to the PS4 account.
      Mail WILL be in just not at launch, it should be relatively near future after that.
      Sorry if I'm not understanding, but if mail will be in the game at some point, wouldn't the one way trip be pointless? If we're allowed to have a PS4 account and a PC account why would we choose to give up the flexibility of moving stuff around?
      Like, I said I may be misunderstanding, but does this mean that mail in the PS4 can only send to other PS4 players or is it that you're effectively saying that if we choose to have a PS4 account we aren't allowed to share cards between once mail is incorporated?
      no problem, mail is going to be across platforms, this other solution was more immediate (one way in the sense there is no mail available at launch, not that its locked)
    • Vroengard wrote:

Blitzkind wrote:

if mail will be in the game at some point, wouldn't the one way trip be pointless?
      Not if it allowed bulk delivery. Afaik, ingame mail has a limitation of how many cards it can transfer with each mail.
      Plus, "at some point" might be longer than you think. What if someone wants to play NOW?
      Oh, I'm aware that it may take some time. I was just concerned that it meant that PS4 mail was limited in only sending to other PS4 players, as one of the conditions of getting my friend to try the game out was that I'd be able to lend him a deck to play Bashes with.

Since that's not the case I'm pretty okay with it taking time, since I think I still should be able to hook him in with the free evo sealed every month.
    • NicoSharp wrote:

Oh and for the record - I will probably buy a PS4 just for HEX, so if you guys get some sort of commission for getting a consumer to buy a PS4 - notch a +1, or send me a link.
      Why not get a Steam Link instead?

Not that there's anything wrong with the PS4, but if your goal is to play Hex on the couch with a controller, you can save about 85% on that experience.
    • Thoom wrote:

NicoSharp wrote:

Oh and for the record - I will probably buy a PS4 just for HEX, so if you guys get some sort of commission for getting a consumer to buy a PS4 - notch a +1, or send me a link.
      Why not get a Steam Link instead?
      Not that there's anything wrong with the PS4, but if your goal is to play Hex on the couch with a controller, you can save about 85% on that experience.
      Good point.......
    • Thanks for the awesome update Cory!

Double thanks for the Coryesque "fuck it, here's a hype date", it'd had been a while since the last one and I'm sure your programmers were starting to think they liked you a little bit... keep those gremlins down!

While the FAQ about the PS4 move was very informative, I'm still struggling to grasp the economic model of the PS4.

Is the gold acquired from the dueling pits routinely farmable or only as a tutorial? If not is climbing the ladder their only gold source? With the PS4 players being a part of a shared economy, it seems awkward they we would have differing faucets.

I'm not sure that I fully understand what about the f2p campaign experience is off-putting to Sony either. Could it be added as DLC? I know even some PC players have floated up AZ installments as plat purchases to help monetize and incentive its development. It would seem a shame split the campaign off as a completely stand-alone game, unless you could link accounts between the Card Clash and the campaign version... again, "differing faucets"

The min buy/sell feature is awesome and is about as close as you can get to a bid/ask AH without actually making one. Why not a "max willing to buy/min willing to sell" option =P? I do have a little concern that with the current level of economic stability seen the the AH (not a lot), the PS4 players would be at the whim of some minor price-manipulation shenanigans to affluent PC players. Hopefully an increased playerbase and activity would lessen the extent of it.

Overall, I think the dueling pits are my favorite part of all the announcements, I made a post a little while back about a free B-tier meta deck rotation similar to MOBAs; I was going to update it with a modified version that included a new tutorial experience involving a sub-ladder rock-paper-scissors crafted meta of pre-made free decks that offered repeatable cooldown quests and gold with the end prize being getting to choose one of the decks to take with you into ladder... you guys beat me to it =P.

Any chance this comes to PC as well?

Cheers!
    • HEXCoryJones wrote:

So there IS an Auction House?
      YES! you will have access to the "Quick-Buy" and "Quick-Sell" feature as a PS4 player, all PS4 transactions will all be integrated into one large economy with the PC players, its not a separate economy in any form. And we hope to have the "Quick-Buy" and "Quick-Sell" feature (along side the normal AH) in the PC client relatively quickly.

I think this one is very very risky. PS4 players will quicky notice PC buyers/sellers will have an edge in the market. PS4 players sometimes will only be able to put on sale at a too low (losing plat) or too high price (not selling their cards).
      Same way, sometimes PS4 players will only have the possibility to buy overpriced cards. And I already know some PC players won't hesitate to abuse ps4 players.

That is why, knowing there was not AH in the PS4 client, I thought the only viable possibility was : No cross platform economy

That + no pve campaign. They WILL feel cheated. Start to prepare very good PR on these subject. It will be a storm of really bad feedbacks

The post was edited 2 times, last by Gregangel ().

• HEXCoryJones wrote:

nope we are working on "other" consoles... and we are working VERY hard on Tablet! One of the reasons we did console (beyond the access to new players) is the reality that much of the work would be the same stuff we need for tablet. Now that we are over this hurdle I think tablet can come pretty quickly, we are targeting year end.
      Aright, so... I already said to my girlfriend that I want a tablet for Christmas and she said yes.. So I need to know if it's gonna be iPad first, Android first, or both at the same time (I know iPad is lesser works). So from now on, YES you are bound to a virtual contract >:)

That being said, I'm glad to see that a tablet release is finally on your roadmap !!
    • Poodigne wrote:

HEXCoryJones wrote:

nope we are working on "other" consoles... and we are working VERY hard on Tablet! One of the reasons we did console (beyond the access to new players) is the reality that much of the work would be the same stuff we need for tablet. Now that we are over this hurdle I think tablet can come pretty quickly, we are targeting year end.
      Aright, so... I already said to my girlfriend that I want a tablet for Christmas and she said yes.. So I need to know if it's gonna be iPad first, Android first, or both at the same time (I know iPad is lesser works). So from now on, YES you are bound to a virtual contract >:)
      That being said, I'm glad to see that a tablet release is finally on your roadmap !!
      statistically speaking. The App Store generates a lot more money then the android ecosystem . If hex wants money, iPad is the way to go. I'd bet it's there first
    • HEXCoryJones wrote:

Dueling Pit matches will reward players with gold and unlock one of the five pre-con decks.

Wait... what's gold for if there is no campaign?
      we will be adding a commons only pack to the PS4 store (not on the PC, although we could add it if players want it) its 1000G and gives you 10 random standard legal commons.

About this one.
      So the Pit will be the only way to grind the f2p currency of the game.
      We all know these premade decks will become boring to play after a few hours.
      So you are asking players to play boring game with boring cards against the same opponent decks over and over again to let them buy common cards?

If you can buy packs of random common cards, would it not be interresting to let them use it in the Pit by adding into it a pauper format with the same gold payout to make the Pit someting exceeding 5 hours lifespan?
    • Gregangel wrote:

HEXCoryJones wrote:

So there IS an Auction House?
      YES! you will have access to the "Quick-Buy" and "Quick-Sell" feature as a PS4 player, all PS4 transactions will all be integrated into one large economy with the PC players, its not a separate economy in any form. And we hope to have the "Quick-Buy" and "Quick-Sell" feature (along side the normal AH) in the PC client relatively quickly.
      I think this one is very very risky. PS4 players will quicky notice PC buyers/sellers will have an edge in the market. PS4 players sometimes will only be able to make on sell at a too low (losing plat) or too high price (not selling their cards).
      Same way, sometimes PS4 players will only have the possibility to buy overpriced cards. And I already know some PC players won't hesitate to abuse ps4 players.

That is why, knowing there was not AH in the PS4 client, I thought the only viable possibility was : No cross platform economy

That + no pve campaign. They WILL feel cheated. Start to prepare very good PR on these subject. It will be a storm of really bad feedbacks
      I think Quick Buy, I understand it as, show me the sellings of this specific cards. Not buy the first you find. It's easier than open an UI, write the name of a card (without keyboard) etc... Maybe Deck builder will show all cards in the game, those you don't have too, like other games does (for crafting)
      Same for sell. I think there are not an AH UI as we know, but something is needed to make it working