Why PS4?

• I don't say many negative things about hex, but I am concerned for once. Mostly because I made the same mistake hex is making. The PS4 launch is major hype and will increase hex visibility, but none of that matters without player retention. I'm not gunna write an entire document on it, but there are 4 types of people who try hex and in the current state(Even with the QoL improvements) Only 1 of the 4 types of players will actually be satisfied with hex. More time should have been put into player retention and fixing gaps in the game before worrying about trying to find more players. If it is fine with Hex I can list the 4 types in detail and what those 4 types are looking for in hex and why they don't stay.
    • As someone who has been dying for a decent TCG to play on my PS4 while chillin in bed... this is excellent news! Also look forward to using the PS4 Remote Play to play it on my Vita as well, instead of the remote desktop stuff I've been using on my tablet, this will definitely come in handy! Also streaming from PS4 is super easy and we should see a lot more Hex streams on Twitch/Youtube once this goes live!

Honestly I'm also pretty excited about the Dueling Pits, it seems simple but it reminds me a bit of the Pokemon Online TCG premade deck battles which are pretty engaging and I can see that being a very popular gamemode for people to jump in and knock out a few quick games in a more balanced/controlled environment, without feeling outmatched because the opponent's deck is a lot better than yours.

For the questions about the lack of PVE/FRA in the PS4 port, I'm assuming this is because it's going to take more time to port those features over, and I'm guessing they just wanted to get the PVP stuff done first, I dunno. Hopefully we'll see the PVE stuff move over later though, but we'll have to wait and see.
    • We still haven't even fixed things on the Steam end to appeal to them (namely by not selling them poor value bundles as I've said previously) but we want to compound that disastrous release with a new one that adds potential issues? I am...uncertain and displeased is the kindest way to put it. Steam has shown what your average player thinks of Hex and if you think the PS4 crowd is going to be kinder to it then I don't think we know the same PS4 owners.
    • I woke up to this giant thread. The News article had already been pulled, so I don't know what info I might be missing.

This is all interesting. Totally not what I was expecting though.
      It does irk me that the PS4 will get seemingly nice UI QoL improvements before us. Some clarification on what will be coming to PC would be nice. Will both clients end up the same? Will we get the Dueling Pits (this is a good feature and one, given it's absence, my friend left hex for after trying -- i.e. He liked having pre-made decks in Magic DotP versions and didn't want to have to theory craft or netdeck his own in hex) have rewards?
    • NeroJinous wrote:

I don't say many negative things about hex, but I am concerned for once. Mostly because I made the same mistake hex is making. The PS4 launch is major hype and will increase hex visibility, but none of that matters without player retention. I'm not gunna write an entire document on it, but there are 4 types of people who try hex and in the current state(Even with the QoL improvements) Only 1 of the 4 types of players will actually be satisfied with hex. More time should have been put into player retention and fixing gaps in the game before worrying about trying to find more players. If it is fine with Hex I can list the 4 types in detail and what those 4 types are looking for in hex and why they don't stay.
      Oh, please do tell us for the knowledge of it.
      The Wardens of Entrath is a large, open to public community of Hex enthusiasts with a mission to help and support Hex players and content creators alike!

Find us on our Discord server or website!
    • I would assume the 1 in 4 types that actually enjoy what they get right now and actually stay consist of people who have played mtg before.
      Those people GET hex. They dont feel overwhelmed by the complexity and actually know and understand the business model (since its the same as in mtgo).

My suggestion would be to market aggressively to that audience (like by another twitch promo campaign but this time just with mtg streamers).
      The selling points for hex over mtg almost come naturally. That doesnt mean that some mtg players won't be extremely opposed (because "rip off") but that imo it is easier to sell to that audience than to any other:
      The advantages are:
      - digital only features and mechanics that add complexity (like banes and fateweave)
      - champions that allow for educated mulligan decision (also added complexity)
      - automatic mullgians
      - better ressource system (thresholds and champions mean screw and flood is not as bad as it is in mtg)
      - a full fleshed out pve campaign (maybe raids some day)
      - still a tcg and not a ccg and the closest thing in terms of complexity and feel to mtg there is outside of mtg itself
      - way cheaper and with better invest/reward distribution (this is the big one since mtgo players really care about that)

A PS4 port can help in terms of marketing and visabilty. So its imo def. a net positive.
      Better to be than on PS4 than not. What it really will do for player numbers strongly depends on how much sony is willing to invest in marketing it.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Metronomy ().

• So while the articles are gone (for now) the trailer is still up on the playstation youtube channel

My thoughts can be thoughts can be summarized as "Good business idea, there isn't much competition on the platform and anywhere that opens up to a new group of players is good. The longterm gain i'm not as sure on."

-----

I want to talk a little about gameplay and screenshots we've seen though.

The controls seem to make sense.
      At 0:22 we can see basically the whole battleboard with some control options.
      We can see a a golden boarder when selecting a card for Might and Malice. I'm assuming you can move between targets using the D-Pad but no controls are shown on screen. We can't see it in the video but I wouldn't be surprised for just playing cards to work in a similar way.
      X Select/Plays the card
      O Cancels
      Square says details which I assume means zoom in on the card
      Triangle Passes priority. Holding Triangle passes all priorities
      R3 opens up the mail
      L3 opens the account leveling box

At 0:26 we can see some of the deck builder UI. In this screen the deck is not on screen at all.
      There's a box on the top left which shows standard and in a screenshot from the announcement we saw immortal. While we haven't seen it I imagine Frost Ring Arena is also an option and if it works like the current UI equipment won't show up until that box is selected which may be why we haven't seen it in any of the screenshots yet.
      There's an option for sorting. We don't see it so we don't know what options there are.
      Filters is another option though again we don't see what's in it. I believe this is actually advanced filter options though
      The original filters now seem to always be on display. We can filter by B/D/R/S/W and Shardless. Then there's what I think is Troop/Action/Quick Speed/Resource and Artifact, I've never actually payed attention to the icons but I think they match up. Then finally a new filter, by cost (1/2/3/4/5/6/7+).
      There's 7 cards to a row and 2 rows on screen at a time*. You can move between these rows using L2 and R2. (There's no new cards leaked in, I checked)
      At the bottom of this screen we can just see cards 60 of 60 so it tries to guide you on deck counter now. Number of resources, troops, actions and a deck invalid warning.
      Controls here are X to add/remove a card, O to go back, Square is Details and L1/R1 change tab.

*Now this is cool. I noticed it between the card UI and champion UI background. You can add/remove rows to the collect and deck builder. In the card UI at 0:26 there's 2 rows of cards with 0 cards in deck. At 0:28 you can see instead 1 row of cards and 1 row of deck. You use the Right analogue stick to add/remove rows from the cards to the deck and vice versa. So I assume you can go to 2 rows of deck and 0 for cards as well.

At 0:28 we see the player selecting a champion.
      Not much has changed about the champion selection. The only change is the shard filters are now on their own instead of in the advanced filter.
      But behind this is the deck view in the new UI. We can see the cards in the stack view but the shards are different. Instead of stacking all copies of a shard the stack view now lists just 1 copy of the shard with a number on the top right.

We can personalize our decks with sleeves and battleboards. We don't see any menu though hex :(

The store has a few screw ups in. The Preserve pack is in the adventure packs section. And at 0:37 for a couple frames we see chark mark with the silver talon pack and oni pack in (the oni pack is 5 gold for some reason) and just on the bottom the Wizard battleboard.

One screenshot shows the main menua. We see Duelpit (a new feature in the announcement) which brings the option to play vs AI or a player using a premade deck. Battlegrounds. Deck builder and store. The featured content box is actually working as well.
      A 2nd screenshot shows the deck being selected.
      Both these screenshots are missing the icons on the top right. But they are present in the video.

------

There's some things we don't see.
      The article says we can "Quick buy" and Quick sell" cards from the collection manager but we never see a card zoomed in so we don't know how this looks
      We don't see the sleeve or battleboard selection
      We don't see the AH
      We don't see the inventory stash but this wasn't slated for an update so it may be the same
      We don't see any EA cards.
      We don't see any sign of equipment though this could be because of the lack of the FRA menu.
      We don't see any of the chat at all.
      We don't see any option for FRA or Campaign at all.

Now the majority of those are simply because the video/screenshots don't show them. We can still see evidence of them but what is interesting is the FRA+Campaign buttons missing and chat missing. I find it very unlikely that hex would launch without these features since they are a very significant part of the completely free content in hex, the chat not as much but It's still something I would be surprised to not see. We know Sony is doing some marketing for the game. I'm wondering if Sony have asked hex to remove mention of the PvE side of the game in the initial screens and videos in preparation for future announcements about the game from them over the next month to build a hype for the PS4 players new to the game. In fact the video doesn't have any information on the AH or equipment either which are both very big (and unavoidable) parts of hex. The article from hex is where we found out about the Quick Buy/Quick Sell feature. So that makes me feel more confident that sony has a marketing build up planned for the announcement of these features. We'll see though, this part is just a theory I have because it just seems very unusual otherwise.

The post was edited 2 times, last by Reeplay ().

• Canter wrote:

Hype meter when Cory announce for today.
      0%--------------------------------|||------100%

Hype meter right now.
      ||--------------0%-----------------------------------------100%
      Oh ye of short memory.
      I remember last time Cory announced an announcement so I had no expectations.

IF this brings a big influx of players then it's fantastic news. Otherwise it sucks dev time from things I care about. I also hope the deal with Sony is a good one.
    • Reeplay wrote:

So while the articles are gone (for now) the trailer is still up on the playstation youtube channel

My thoughts can be thoughts can be summarized as "Good business idea, there isn't much competition on the platform and anywhere that opens up to a new group of players is good. The longterm gain i'm not as sure on."

-----

I want to talk a little about gameplay and screenshots we've seen though.

The controls seem to make sense.
      At 0:22 we can see basically the whole battleboard with some control options.
      We can see a a golden boarder when selecting a card for Might and Malice. I'm assuming you can move between targets using the D-Pad but no controls are shown on screen. We can't see it in the video but I wouldn't be surprised for just playing cards to work in a similar way.
      X Select/Plays the card
      O Cancels
      Square says details which I assume means zoom in on the card
      Triangle Passes priority. Holding Triangle passes all priorityes
      R3 opens up the mail
      L3 opens the account leveling box

At 0:26 we can see some of the deck builder UI. In this screen the deck is not on screen at all.
      There's a box on the top left which shows standard and in a screenshot from the announcement we saw immortal. While we haven't seen it I imagine Frost Ring Arena is also an option and if it works like the current UI equipment won't show up until that box is selected which may be why we haven't seen it in any of the screenshots yet.
      There's an option for sorting. We don't see it so we don't know what options there are.
      Filters is another option though again we don't see what's in it. I believe this is actually advanced filter options though
      The original filters now seem to always be on display. We can filter by B/D/R/S/W and Shardless. Then there's what I think is Troop/Action/Quick Speed/Resource and Artifact, I've never actually payed attention to the icons but I think they match up. Then finally a new filter, by cost (1/2/3/4/5/6/7+).
      There's 7 cards to a row and 2 rows on screen at a time*. You can move between these rows using L2 and R2. (There's no new cards leaked in, I checked)
      At the bottom of this screen we can just see cards 60 of 60 so it tries to guide you on deck counter now. Number of resources, troops, actions and a deck invalid warning.
      Controls here are X to add/remove a card, O to go back, Square is Details and L1/R1 change tab.

*Now this is cool. I noticed it between the card UI and champion UI background. You can add/remove rows to the collect and deck builder. In the card UI at 0:26 there's 2 rows of cards with 0 cards in deck. At 0:28 you can see instead 1 row of cards and 1 row of deck. You use the Right analogue stick to add/remove rows from the cards to the deck and vice versa. So I assume you can go to 2 rows of deck and 0 for cards as well.

At 0:28 we see the player selecting a champion.
      Not much has changed about the champion selection. The only change is the shard filters are now on their own instead of in the advanced filter.
      But behind this is the deck view in the new UI. We can see the cards in the stack view but the shards are different. Instead of stacking all copies of a shard the stack view now lists just 1 copy of the shard with a number on the top right.

We can personalize our decks with sleeves and battleboards. We don't see any menu though hex :(

The store has a few screw ups in. The Preserve pack is in the adventure packs section. And at 0:37 for a couple frames we see chark mark with the silver talon pack and oni pack in (the oni pack is 5 gold for some reason) and just on the bottom the Wizard battleboard.

One screenshot shows the main menua. We see Duelpit (a new feature in the announcement) which brings the option to play vs AI or a player using a premade deck. Battlegrounds. Deck builder and store. The featured content box is actually working as well.
      A 2nd screenshot shows the deck being selected.
      Both these screenshots are missing the icons on the top right. But they are present in the video.

------

The article says we can "Quick buy" and Quick sell" cards from the collection manager but we never see a card zoomed in so we don't know how this looks
      We don't see the AH
      We don't see the inventory stash but this wasn't slated for an update so it may be the same
      We don't see any sign of equipment though this could be because of the lack of the FRA menu.

Now the majority of those are simply because the video/screenshots don't show them. We can still see evidence of them but what is interesting is the FRA+Campaign buttons missing and chat missing. I find it very unlikely that hex would launch without these features since they are a very significant part of the completely free content in hex, the chat not as much but It's still something I would be surprised to not see. We know Sony is doing some marketing for the game. I'm wondering if Sony have asked hex to remove mention of the PvE side of the game in the initial screens and videos in preparation for future announcements about the game from them over the next month to build a hype for the PS4 players new to the game. In fact the video doesn't have any information on the AH or equipment either which are both very big (and unavoidable) parts of hex. The article from hex is where we found out about the Quick Buy/Quick Sell feature. So that makes me feel more confident that sony has a marketing build up planned for the announcement of these features. We'll see though, this part is just a theory I have because it just seems very unusual otherwise.
      True

Participate in tournaments against other players or challenge the AI. Customize your cards with gems, choose the perfect champion to aid your deck’s strategy, and challenge others with exclusive prizes on the line. Extend the art on your cards, earn unique card sleeves, and show your dominance with customizable battleboards! The limitless depth of HEX: Card Clash will give you endless strategies to explore.

playstation.com/en-us/games/hex-card-clash-ps4/

We don't see the AH
      Yes we do at 26 sec you see the hammer top left so sure you have access

At 26 sec we see the chest top right

See battleboard

Base on the menu there is no campaign so probably no FRA either (there are 4 choices on picture and unless it moved its not going to be there)

That I was wondering since the beginning

same as equipement
    • Portensio wrote:

Reeplay wrote:

My own personal wall
      There's some things we don't see.The article says we can "Quick buy" and Quick sell" cards from the collection manager but we never see a card zoomed in so we don't know how this looks
      True

Participate in tournaments against other players or challenge the AI. Customize your cards with gems, choose the perfect champion to aid your deck’s strategy, and challenge others with exclusive prizes on the line. Extend the art on your cards, earn unique card sleeves, and show your dominance with customizable battleboards! The limitless depth of HEX: Card Clash will give you endless strategies to explore.

playstation.com/en-us/games/hex-card-clash-ps4/

We don't see the AH
      Yes we do at 26 sec you see the hammer top left so sure you have access

At 26 sec we see the chest top right

See battleboard

Base on the menu there is no campaign so probably no FRA either (there are 4 choices on picture and unless it moved its not going to be there)

That I was wondering since the beginning

same as equipement

Red - We don't SEE the battleboard or sleeve selection though. They only acknowledge it exists.

Green - We don't SEE the AH though. The icon is the only thing there.

Light Blue - We don't SEE the inventory stash though. Just the icon again.

Orange - See Red

Pink - I talk in the post about my thoughts on the lack of an FRA or Campaign menu in the last paragraph. I even specifically say option this time because there isn't even a button for them

Yellow - Literally the paragraph below that line I explain my thoughts on it. Or also see Pink
    • It occurs to me to also mention that PSN has probably the weakest security measures or the most dedicated hackers (likely the former) as they were, once again, busted wide open. If you have the option to link your Hex information to your PSN account I would weigh the fact that your computer, and presumably Hex's end of things, is more secure than whatever Sony is doing and when many accounts have Kickstarter benefits that are functionally priceless or just large amassed collections worth hundreds...well, you can see my concern. I doubt Sony has offered to increase security for Hex alone so investing in such an unstable platform or putting your current investment at risk by linking your PSN is a decision that should be made with consideration of Sony's security issues.

It is unlikely that you lose your account due to a PSN hack but it is more likely than just using your account normally.
    • Utremeld wrote:

and when many accounts have Kickstarter benefits that are functionally priceless or just large amassed collections worth hundreds...
      Here you assume you open your account on your ps4, but one of the things on discussion and not clearly yet, is that, and probably PSHex accounts will be new accounts and can't be linked to your actual account. Who knows. Maybe I'm wrong, and I hope so.
    • Gregangel wrote:

the only thing that concerne me is that you need a $8 monthly subscription to be able to play online on PS4.

That and the fact Hex is not f2p will not result on a lot of player mzking the jump...
      On Spanish Discord there were a discussion about. A player defends that is not needed to pay for f2p games, other player said you have to pay to play online (like Xbox). I don't have Ps4, I don't know, but anyway, if this is the case, I don't see it as a problem at all. Console players are accostumed to that. And if don't pay, can't play Hex, but any other game either.