Why PS4?

• Rendakor wrote:

I don't get this at all. It seems like there are tons of things that could have been done to grow/improve Hex that would be easier and/or generate more players.
      You don't get it because YOU ALREADY PLAY HEX ON A COMPUTER. you are not a targeted player.. They are targeting NEW players.

There are ''gamers'' that do not play computer games.

See duels of the planeswalker for an example.
    • schild wrote:

Straight up, this is the absolute strangest and last thing I would have expected.

Like, it's so... whatever?

Typically I expect things to expand the playerbase this is just... lateral? I don't even know. What's the data on PS4 CCG player usage? Culdcept never even made the jump, as the whole point of CCGs is mobility.

Guide me through the thought process so I can better understand why the letters EDH were replaced with PS4 and an ungodly number of enigeering hours
      they have a large proprietary audience, and they are excited and willing to help push HEX in a big way.
      I believe this is the single best thing we can do to increase our player base
      the work done was very close to the work needed for tablet, so expect news on that front soon-ish
    • Portensio wrote:

schild wrote:

Shinjica wrote:

I was hoping other things but if it helps increasing the userbase, i'm happy
      I have some bad news for you. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
      As I wrote on Reddit

think you might underestimate certain things

1st- Duels of the planewalker was an EXCELLENT game for Magic players. it was originally on console and eventually went everywhere but the game was such a success (for 10$) that WOTC made it its intro to Magic and it was good

2nd: The card game crownd is full. I mean every month i hear of a new CCG coming out. The good thing is i don't hear alot of them on console. People think that everyone has a PC that runs perfectly but no. I know magic players (paper cards) that barely have a small laptop but play console all the time.

3rd: Ressources Wise, they updated the UI which will be ported to Pc so there is no ''lost'' ressources on that. It also maybe helped them recode the game to be better suited for pc also. Yes they did have to put ressources to PS4, but you overestimate that ALL the ressources was for that. when alot of it went into updating the game which PC will have
      Duels came out when there were no card games available, but more than that, it wasn't a CCG. It was a buy once purchase on its original release. And it came out for the 360, at a time when consoles were still hot af. They're not anymore. Also, back in 2009 ipads weren't what they are today.

Look, I understand the reasons this might seem like a good idea on its face, but I can't help wonder why now? Why, when there's a billion things they could do on PC before this with far less overhead? Why not iPad? Even if it's just iPad Pro, it's a bigger audience and a better platform for this.

I'm not saying this is terrible. I'm mostly saying it's really damned strange.
    • HEXCoryJones wrote:

schild wrote:

Straight up, this is the absolute strangest and last thing I would have expected.

Typically I expect things to expand the playerbase this is just... lateral? I don't even know. What's the data on PS4 CCG player usage? Culdcept never even made the jump, as the whole point of CCGs is mobility.

Guide me through the thought process so I can better understand why the letters EDH were replaced with PS4 and an ungodly number of enigeering hours
      they have a large proprietary audience, and they are excited and willing to help push HEX in a big way.I believe this is the single best thing we can do to increase our player base
      the work done was very close to the work needed for tablet, so expect news on that front soon-ish
      NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO WHY DID YOU SAY THAT.............. NOW THEY WILL ASK EVERYWEEK WHERE IS THAT NEWS"!
    • HEXCoryJones wrote:

they have a large proprietary audience, and they are excited and willing to help push HEX in a big way.I believe this is the single best thing we can do to increase our player base
      If Sony's ponying up some marketing to help with a push, that's at least some pretty positive news I'd be glad for. I do hope this manages to pull in plenty of new players, I just also hope that the culture / sticker shock isn't bad for console players who might be running into a TCG for the first time have versus expectations they might have cultivated with e.g. Gwent or the Elder Scrolls card game or other 'similar' offerings.

Even if we know the differences and can appreciate them, I worry for the same reasons the Steam launch was worrisome in the what folks expect vs. what they actually get measure.
    • schild wrote:

Guide me through the thought process so I can better understand why the letters EDH were replaced with PS4 and an ungodly number of enigeering hours.

Rendakor wrote:

I don't get this at all. It seems like there are tons of things that could have been done to grow/improve Hex that would be easier and/or generate more players.
      Agree.

Portensio wrote:

schild wrote:

Shinjica wrote:

As I wrote on Reddit

1st- Duels of the planewalker was an EXCELLENT game for Magic players. it was originally on console and eventually went everywhere but the game was such a success (for 10$) that WOTC made it its intro to Magic and it was good

2nd: The card game crownd is full. I mean every month i hear of a new CCG coming out. The good thing is i don't hear alot of them on console. People think that everyone has a PC that runs perfectly but no. I know magic players (paper cards) that barely have a small laptop but play console all the time.

3rd: Ressources Wise, they updated the UI which will be ported to Pc so there is no ''lost'' ressources on that. It also maybe helped them recode the game to be better suited for pc also. Yes they did have to put ressources to PS4, but you overestimate that ALL the ressources was for that. when alot of it went into updating the game which PC will have
      1st- Duels of planewalker was an excellent casual game. Hex Community insist this is a hardcore game focused to Magic players.
      2nd- Maybe you don't hear on console because development efforts are not worth, because updates for games shoyld be approved and so on... Play a card game in consoles should be a pain.
      3rd: I have an i5 with 820m graphics, this is, a 300$ laptop or so, and I can play Hex without problems.

I don't see it yet. Really, I would like to see it. But as @'Rendakor' wrote, there are so many things they can do, that IMHO, choosed the worst path.
    • Lyrgoiph wrote:

Does that mean there is a mobile device from playstation HEX works on? I don´t have a PS4, but if there was a mobile i´d think about buying one.

My last mobile was a Game Boy, sorry if you find that question stupid kids ;P
      Nearly all PS4 games can be remote played on the Vita... but you do have to own a PS4 for that to work.
      Gamer. Streamer. Photographer. Writer. Anime Lover. Possessor of Stuffed Animals.

Also... I'm terrible at this game.
    • HEXCoryJones wrote:

schild wrote:

This should be what the article is about, lol.

Thanks for explaining that.

If Sony is actually behind this, it could help. Yes. Though as someone who has worked closely with them, just tread carefully. Consoles are seasonal as all hell. I honestly hope this helps, I just don't expect much based on past experience.

I still don't know why you haven't just shoved my EDH rules into a right-click challenge thing. ʘ‿ʘ
    • Bootlace wrote:

Best game in the genre on the most popular console, potentially ton of new streamers thanks to integrated streaming tools, potential reviews by major publications, cross platform play, and groundwork for porting to other platforms....there's a lot to be optimistic about here.
      You forgot to mention, and a lot of complainings about "you have to pay for anything in this game"
    • schild wrote:

Portensio wrote:

schild wrote:

Shinjica wrote:

As I wrote on Reddit

Duels came out when there were no card games available, but more than that, it wasn't a CCG. It was a buy once purchase on its original release. And it came out for the 360, at a time when consoles were still hot af. They're not anymore. Also, back in 2009 ipads weren't what they are today.
      Look, I understand the reasons this might seem like a good idea on its face, but I can't help wonder why now? Why, when there's a billion things they could do on PC before this with far less overhead? Why not iPad? Even if it's just iPad Pro, it's a bigger audience and a better platform for this.

I'm not saying this is terrible. I'm mostly saying it's really damned strange.

1st : True but that does not mean people don't play on console. YOur giving your opinion. not facts.

2nd: Everyone thinks Ipad will bring so much people. What you fail to consider is 1- When HS released the Ipad version, their sales shifted. It did not increase sales it just shifted them. What you WANT is not what HEX needs. They need new blood. The market of CCG is full on Ipad and probably empty on ps4. 2- your wrong assuming consoles are not hot..they are still very hot and growing
    • Portensio wrote:

1st : True but that does not mean people don't play on console. YOur giving your opinion. not facts.

2nd: Everyone thinks Ipad will bring so much people. What you fail to consider is 1- When HS released the Ipad version, their sales shifted. It did not increase sales it just shifted them. What you WANT is not what HEX needs. They need new blood. The market of CCG is full on Ipad and probably empty on ps4. 2- your wrong assuming consoles are not hot..they are still very hot and growing

¯\_(⊙︿⊙)_/¯
    • I still have yet to see a confirmation that 'cross platform compatibility' means our PC collection will be fully available to use on PS4 game and purchases of cards through PS4 store will be available to use on PC client.

Also how will we accomplish the actual linking of our PC account to the PS4 - I don't play through the steam client.
    • Dralon wrote:

I still have yet to see a confirmation that 'cross platform compatibility' means our PC collection will be fully available to use on PS4 game and purchases of cards through PS4 store will be available to use on PC client.

Also how will we accomplish the actual linking of our PC account to the PS4 - I don't play through the steam client.
      I would wager that it's just cross-play, so that the two platforms can play against one another, but it's likely to be an independent collection system.