Why PS4?

• pjvedder wrote:

Argos wrote:

Why? How many people own a PS4 that don't own a computer? I would estimate it is a very small percentage. Then what percentage of those players have an interest in card games? I would venture to say it is even smaller than the first value. It just feels like a tiny targeted audience.
      I agree with your points to an extent, but there may be an audience out there who do not have PCs that can handle Hex well, but do have PS4s. Nowadays, I feel like many people are sacrificing power for mobility, and the only computers they have may be like a Surface (which is serviceable for the most part, but not speedy when playing Hex), or some low-powered laptop. Those people may have interest in card games, but have only played things like Duels of the Planeswalkers on consoles before and just don't have much more experience with digital TCGs.
      I have a 300$ laptop and runs Hex perfectly. Makes more sense a Tablet port to get a wider audience than PS4. Card games on console should be a pain.
      This movement seems like try to get the Magic Duels audience before WoTC release Magic Next (or whatever name has).
    • Saeijou wrote:

Linux? anyone? :(
      Paging @JeffHoogland. WINE works, AFAIK. And not officially having a Linux client means they don't have to staff up support for a platform that a) is a tiny percentage of their customer base and b) has far, far more complexity of platforms (RedHat vs Debian; systemd vs non-systemd; wildly differing hardware fingerprints). From a cost-benefit standpoint, Linux gaming support hasn't been worth it for a hell of a long time unless your name is Valve and you've got Steam as a shim for your games to insure some measure of platform stability.

Gregangel wrote:

I notice the campaign will not be avaible on the PS4 client. I am right ?
      Is the reason why you change the name of the game ?
      That is . . . non-optimal. No Campaign or Frost Ring Arena options there. There goes my desire to play this version of Hex.
    • Gregangel wrote:

Portensio wrote:

Gregangel wrote:

I notice the campaign will not be avaible on the PS4 client. I am right ?
      Is the reason why you change the name of the game ?
      how did you ''notice'' that ? But i would not be surprise if thats the case (UI thing)
      playstation.com/en-us/games/hex-card-clash-ps4/
      look the picture
      Also, the PS4 trailer doesn't mention anything about single player campaign.
      There was a signature here. It's gone now.
    • Straight up, this is the absolute strangest and last thing I would have expected.

Like, it's so... whatever?

Typically I expect things to expand the playerbase this is just... lateral? I don't even know. What's the data on PS4 CCG player usage? Culdcept never even made the jump, as the whole point of CCGs is mobility.

Guide me through the thought process so I can better understand why the letters EDH were replaced with PS4 and an ungodly number of enigeering hours.
    • I'm just baffled that they didn't minimally put in the frost ring arena for people to putz around with, but I suppose that's more to do with not involving equipment and the like into the mix. This does say a lot about Hex's view of PVE vs. PVP player acquisition though (which really shouldn't surprise anyone.)

I will be extremely curious to see how turnout for the Clash and Bash perform once this thing is live and there's cross-platform participation.
    • Poodigne wrote:

schild wrote:

Shinjica wrote:

I was hoping other things but if it helps increasing the userbase, i'm happy
      I have some bad news for you. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
      How can you know ?
      Console acquisition rate on stuff like this, regardless of quality, is kind of a nightmare. Not to mention they're beholden to exposure (which Sony is absolutely terrible at, their store is an actual abortion). I can't imagine the engineering costs on this conversion (maybe it was easy because Unity, I don't know), but it seems like a lot went into this. To even recoup cost it would have to be a pretty big expansion in the player count. Your average PS4 player is already a higher salary bracket than the other two consoles, and older - so it's more likely they already own a PC and would be playing this already (if they wanted to).

If you asked me 100 possible things HXE is working on, "PS4 Conversion" would not have made the list.

It seems like they bought a 12 foot ladder for a tree that starts sprouting fruit at 4 feet.
    • Blackwood wrote:

I'm just baffled that they didn't minimally put in the frost ring arena for people to putz around with, but I suppose that's more to do with not involving equipment and the like into the mix. This does say a lot about Hex's view of PVE vs. PVP player acquisition though (which really shouldn't surprise anyone.)

I will be extremely curious to see how turnout for the Clash and Bash perform once this thing is live and there's cross-platform participation.
      I find it hard to envision console gamers playing in the Clash or Bash with 30-50 minutes of downtime between each round & sitting there for 7-10 hours to finish the tournament. At least on a PC you can multi-task easily, but to take up your television and console real estate waiting for Metronomy to finish each round? Yikes.
    • schild wrote:

Shinjica wrote:

I was hoping other things but if it helps increasing the userbase, i'm happy
      I have some bad news for you. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
      As I wrote on Reddit

think you might underestimate certain things

1st- Duels of the planewalker was an EXCELLENT game for Magic players. it was originally on console and eventually went everywhere but the game was such a success (for 10$) that WOTC made it its intro to Magic and it was good

2nd: The card game crownd is full. I mean every month i hear of a new CCG coming out. The good thing is i don't hear alot of them on console. People think that everyone has a PC that runs perfectly but no. I know magic players (paper cards) that barely have a small laptop but play console all the time.

3rd: Ressources Wise, they updated the UI which will be ported to Pc so there is no ''lost'' ressources on that. It also maybe helped them recode the game to be better suited for pc also. Yes they did have to put ressources to PS4, but you overestimate that ALL the ressources was for that. when alot of it went into updating the game which PC will have
    • Memory wrote:

I find it hard to envision console gamers playing in the Clash or Bash with 30-50 minutes of downtime between each round & sitting there for 7-10 hours to finish the tournament. At least on a PC you can multi-task easily, but to take up your television and console real estate waiting for Metronomy to finish each round? Yikes.
      That's a very good point I hadn't considered. Given that a big part of the push is weekly cash prize tournaments though, it seems like they're going to try to push Clash and Bash anyways to console players. Godspeed, but that does seem like a hard sell.

@Portensio I think it's fair to assert that there's going to be a world of difference between the performance of a $10 buy-in 'all inclusive' console cardgame and one that already has people new to hex responding to the announcement with variations of 'is this a pay to win game?'