Winner is the Judge: Aug 20 thru Aug 27

• Winner is the Judge: Aug 20 thru Aug 27

The Rules:
      Design a card (or possibly multiple cards) that meets the design constraint described below. The one that I like the best is the winner. You may submit multiple entries, but please be considerate of your fellow players and don't go too overboard. In the case of multiple entries, you will still receive one prize at most.

In addition to any listed prizes, the winner then creates a thread for the next round, creates a new design constraint, and the game continues.

Design Constraint:
      Design a "tribal" card that cares in some way about the types that your troops have. Please keep to troop types already established in HEX and keep it in theme with the flavor of your chosen tribe.

Examples:
      Ageless Troubadour cares about how many of a particular tribe you have, in this case elves.
      Gift of Yazukan interacts in a unique way with its tribe, playing into the Shin'hare theme of life and death.

Even a card like the Librarian from Frostheart would count since it summons a Curator that gives all Chaostouched unblockable, which plays very well with many of the Chaostouched troops that have on-hit abilities.

And an example of a lesser tribe getting their own tribal matters card: The Buffalord

Rewards:
      1st place: 1 Frostheart Booster Pack + bonus packs

Then, for every 5 people that participate, I'll give an extra random pack from my collection to 1st place and then give a random pack to the next place. So for example, if 10 people participate, I'll give 1st place three packs and then 2nd and 3rd place will also get a pack.

Deadline:
      The contest ends on August 27th, 12:00 pm PDT. I'll then announce the winner that afternoon/night and deliver all prizes soon after.

Have fun!!

The post was edited 1 time, last by Arcanyx: random typos ().

• Manti Manadancer
      Cost 2 [WILD] [SAPPHIRE]
      Uncommon Troop - Manti

Manti in your hand have cost -2.
      Manti in your crypt cost 1.

The monk's slow, deliberate motions seemed to be a meditative exercise. Unlike similar human rituals, when the Manti dances, the very essence of Entrath joins in. - From the journal of Lord Bernard P. Dunthorpe.

[ATTACK] 1 / 2 [DEFENSE]

Manti Translator MK1
      Cost 4
      Rare artifact troop - Robot

Socketable: Minor
      If you control a Manti, cards cannot be reverted.
      [EXHAUST] 2, exhaust a Manti you control: target non-socketed troop gains spellshield until end of turn.

[ATTACK] 1 / 3 [DEFENSE]

>>MANTI INPUT: "Softskin, listen! The Hex shards are alien invaders who share their power for a price. Stop using them at once, before they learn to inhabit the living as well as the dead!"
      >>TRANSLATION: "Listen, bad Hex shard user invader! You stop now from Manti habitat, or living become dead!"

If only Manti cost 1 or 2 less, they'd be playable - manadancer fixes this in a way that synergizes with Monk of the Sacred Stones and Druidic Exoshaper.

The Manti lore talks at length about how they're a reclusive, poorly understood race that uses powerful magic without the use of Hex gems. My idea is that the Manti are actually avoiding Hex shards and all who use them, particularly the Necrotic. Now that Frostheart broke, they're open to trying to communicate with the other species and share their ways (giving spellshield), teaching others how to prevent a mindwipe (like the necrotic), of which reversion is an experimental form. Also silly synergy with the Caravan transform mechanics.

The post was edited 2 times, last by GeneralVeers ().

• Engine of creation
      Artifact , cost 3
      Deploy: for each dwarf or artifact in your hand, choose one at random:
      Gain [SAPPHIRE] ,
      Gain [RUBY] ,
      Gain [1/0] .

[SAPPHIRE] [SAPPHIRE] [SAPPHIRE] [SAPPHIRE] : When you play a dwarf, create a random artifact and put it in your hand.
      [RUBY] [RUBY] [RUBY] [RUBY] : When a dwarf or artifact you control is sent to the crypt, put a creation counter on this card. At the end of your turn, if there are 3 or more creation counters on this card, remove 3 of them to create a random dwarf and put it into your hand.

Dwarfs are not known for being lazy or wasteful. This tool helps keep it that way.

The post was edited 8 times, last by cyberutopia ().

• Name: Goog - Central Necrotic
      Cost: 5
      Threshold Requirement: [BLOOD] [DIAMOND] [RUBY] [SAPPHIRE] [WILD]
      Type: Unique Troop - Necrotic Warlock
      Faction: [UNDERWORLD]
      Rarity: Legendary
      Ability: Any time another Necrotic is gains an ability or is shifted something than that Necrotic is able to shift it on.
      5 /5
      Favor Text: Goog's hexing gem is so powerful that other Necrotic can better help each other just being in his presents. - Lixil
    • Ashwood Warleader

Cost: 1
      Threshold: [RUBY]

Troop - Elf Ranger
      Faction: [ARDENT]
      Rarity: Rare

Text:
      Elves you controll have +1 [ATTACK] for every [2/0] (two temporary ressources) you have.

0/2

Flavor: "When you strike the Ashwood, the Ashwood strikes back"

The idea is it being a lord which combines the ramp and aggression of the ruby elves.
      At 1 cost this might be a strong effect, but it doesnt synergyse with the typical aggressive keyword [SPEED] and is pretty bad its own. The low cost also enables it to be played as an actual board buff, which would be hard otherwise, as you dont want to play carda with it in first main phase.
      Might still be better placed at 2 cost with slightly stronger stats but I think 1 cost is just strong enough.
    • Mind Link Jackhat
      Artifact, Cost 4

At the start of your turn, exhaust each gnoll you control. For each gnoll exhausted this way, steal and ready an opposing troop until end of turn. They get speed this turn.

Flavor: "Locke's final creation let him control the entire battlefield"

The post was edited 1 time, last by Norwind ().

• TheGreatCulling wrote:

Norwind wrote:

At the start of your turn, exhaust each gnoll you control. For each gnoll exhausted this way, steal and ready an opposing troop until end of turn.
      Really nice and fitting idea. However, maybe you should give those troops speed until end of turn, as otherwise they are summoning sick after being stolen.
      I was actually wondering about that, but didn't know if they would be :) Will add speed.
    • 4 Glimmerglen Coven
      Constant
      When you gain health, target opponent loses one health and you may add a worthy counter to this. Then, if there are thirteen or more worthy counters on this, summon thirteen random witches.

"For the one that they deem worthy, they will kill without mercy".
    • The buffalord even created a new troop type, since buffalo weren't buffalo until he existed! The more you know :)

Totem of the Echoing Prophecy
      4 [WILD] [DIAMOND] [SAPPHIRE] Legendary Constant
      Non-resource cards in your hand have "Prophecy: The next card in your deck of the same type as this gives 1/0."
      If you control 2 or more Coyotle at the end of your turn, the next coyotle in your deck gets +1/+1.
      If you control 3 or more Coyotle, when you play a prophesied card, the next card in your deck of the same type gets all of its prophesied effects.
      The Coyotle had never seen a vision like this, which grew stronger for every one of their people who chose to look at it. It spoke of victory, of triumph.

And...

The Writhing Swarm
      6 [BLOOD] [BLOOD] [BLOOD] Legendary Insect Troop
      Steadfast, Lethal
      1 [ATTACK] /5 [DEFENSE]
      When this is dealt damage, summon a random Insect troop with cost 2 or less for each damage dealt.
      When an insect you control deals damage, this gets +1 [ATTACK] .
      When an insect you control dies, this gets +1 [DEFENSE] .
      "I saw it... for just a moment. It still haunts my nightmares, for all sorts of horrors lie within." - Cerulean Scholar

Edit: Change it to cost 2 or less because there is only one standard 1 cost insect right now.
      Gamer. Streamer. Photographer. Writer. Anime Lover. Possessor of Stuffed Animals.

Also... I'm terrible at this game.
    • Void Speaker

Rare

Cost 3, 1 blood threshold, 1 sapphire threshold

Troop, Chaostouched

Your Chaostouched cards can't be interrupted. If an opposing card or effect would target one or more chaostouched cards you control, interrupt it unless the opposing champion buries the top card of his deck.

1/3

" This strange man has been mumbling incoherent noises since he stepped in town... I wish someone would shut him up, he gives me the creeps."
      Awaiting the Doomwalker's arrival in Entrath since the Beta.

" Honey, where's my chaos key ?
      - Have you searched in your chaos coat ?
      - Shoot I left it in the chaos car... "

... Still be waiting for a while it seems ...

The post was edited 1 time, last by Olfff ().

• My 2nd post in this thread, here comes the fanfiction:

Obsidian talon executioner
      [DIAMOND] [SAPPHIRE] 2
      necrotic bird

flight
      All your necrotic troops in play get lethal.

[ATTACK] 1 [DEFENSE] 1
      After lixil freed herself from Volosolv's chant, her cult started experimenting with awakening. This was their first success.

Obsidian wayfarer
      [SAPPHIRE] 2
      necrotic gnome

When you play a necrotic troop, put this into your deck, draw a card, then this gets "when this card enters your hand, reveal it. Draw a card."

[ATTACK] 0 [DEFENSE] 2
      Gnomes were surprisingly easy to awaken.

Obsidian emmiter
      Cost 3
      Artifact troop - construct

minor socket
      Your necrotic troops in all zones get all socketed powers of this.

[ATTACK] 1 [DEFENSE] 5
      The experiment of creating robotic necrotics was a failure. Still, their stimulation of gem shards uncovered some interesting properties of the chant.

Immortalize
      [DIAMOND] 5
      Action
      Your necrotic troops in all zones get " [ONESHOT] : When this dies, put it into play".
      Lixil's cult tried many approaches to keeping dwarf bodies stable after death, so far without success. This earned them the knowledge of strengthening their own forms, but also the wrath of the underworld.

Obsidian calling
      [DIAMOND] [SAPPHIRE] [RUBY] 2
      Constant
      Mobilize.
      Your necrotic troops in all zones get "Mobilize".
      Soon lixil began developing a chant of her own.

Edit:

Obsidian fang hierarch
      [SAPPHIRE] [BLOOD] 3
      Necrotic vennen
      Lifesteal
      Deploy : stun an enemy troop for each necrotic troop you control.
      When you play a necrotic troop, this troop deals 2 damage to the opposing champion.
      [ATTACK] 1 [DEFENSE] 2
      One of the vennen assasins sent after lixil was so corrupted by sapphire magic that awakening was possible.

Lixil, the obsidian gem
      [BLOOD] [BLOOD] [WILD] [WILD] [DIAMOND] [DIAMOND] [SAPPHIRE] [SAPPHIRE] [RUBY] [RUBY] 5
      Necrotic

While this card is in your hand, [ONESHOT] Discard a necrotic troop from your hand -> choose a threshold required for playing that card and gain it.

Your necrotic troops in play get "invincible".
      Once per turn, discard a necrotic troop from your hand -> This troop gets "hexproof" until the end of turn.
      [ATTACK] 6 [DEFENSE] 6
      Perfection in all things.

The post was edited 7 times, last by cyberutopia ().

• cyberutopia wrote:

Lixil, the obsidian gem

[BLOOD] [WILD] [DIAMOND] [SAPPHIRE] [RUBY] 6
      Necrotic

While this card is in your hand, [ONESHOT] Discard a necrotic troop from your hand -> choose a threshold required for playing that card and gain it.

Your necrotic troops in play get "invincible".
      Once per turn, discard a necrotic troop from your hand -> This unit gets "hexproof" until the end of turn.
      [ATTACK] 6 [DEFENSE] 6
      Perfection in all things.
      Shouldn't it say "Your other necrotic troops get "invincible"."? Cuz otherwise she would make herself invincible and spellshield wouldn't matter.
    • KotoTheMage wrote:

Shouldn't it say "Your other necrotic troops get "invincible"."? Cuz otherwise she would make herself invincible and spellshield wouldn't matter.
      invincible doesn't prevent void, transform or -x/-x... so it could still be relevant.
      Gamer. Streamer. Photographer. Writer. Anime Lover. Possessor of Stuffed Animals.

• Eraia wrote:

KotoTheMage wrote:

invincible doesn't prevent void, transform or -x/-x... so it could still be relevant.
      Thx for expaining it for me! ^^
      The point of that card was that you can play this expensive win condition card, only for your oponent to ruin it with transmogrifate. My intention was that your oponent would have to play something, you would chain that ability, and your oponent would then play some quick removal to actually remove it (like transmog). That way, its still removable, but it doesn't feel as bad, but you dont actually lose card advantage.

However, i'm not sure if this ability would be put on stack or just resolved immediately. Maybe i should change it to "target necrotic gets hexproof" just so its put on stack as intended.
    • cyberutopia wrote:

Eraia wrote:

KotoTheMage wrote:

Thx for expaining it for me! ^^ The point of that card was that you can play this expensive win condition card, only for your oponent to ruin it with transmogrifate. My intention was that your oponent would have to play something, you would chain that ability, and your oponent would then play some quick removal to actually remove it (like transmog). That way, its still removable, but it doesn't feel as bad, but you dont actually lose card advantage.

However, i'm not sure if this ability would be put on stack or just resolved immediately. Maybe i should change it to "target necrotic gets hexproof" just so its put on stack as intended.
      That being said, I do agree that the card itself probably shouldn't be invincible. Ruby and Wild will literally have no way of addressing this card. Diamond will, but only a very very few ways and most of those are basic, so won't work with your 'chain' approach. Blood can probably do it with the quick speed -x/-x cards it has, but it'll be rare for people to have multiples of those.

• Eraia wrote:

cyberutopia wrote:

Eraia wrote:

KotoTheMage wrote:

Thx for expaining it for me! ^^ The point of that card was that you can play this expensive win condition card, only for your oponent to ruin it with transmogrifate. My intention was that your oponent would have to play something, you would chain that ability, and your oponent would then play some quick removal to actually remove it (like transmog). That way, its still removable, but it doesn't feel as bad, but you dont actually lose card advantage.
      That being said, I do agree that the card itself probably shouldn't be invincible. Ruby and Wild will literally have no way of addressing this card. Diamond will, but only a very very few ways and most of those are basic, so won't work with your 'chain' approach. Blood can probably do it with the quick speed -x/-x cards it has, but it'll be rare for people to have multiples of those.
      Maybe. My reasoning was that it was so hard to play that if you survived so long that you can play it you should win. Maybe raising the cost to 7 or 8 would make it fine? or lowering to 4 but needing double of each shard?
    • cyberutopia wrote:

Maybe. My reasoning was that it was so hard to play that if you survived so long that you can play it you should win. Maybe raising the cost to 7 or 8 would make it fine? or lowering to 4 but needing double of each shard?
      I mean, Daarmak costs more with the same thresholds, and is nowhere NEAR as strong as that.

Let's put it this way... if she gives herself invincible, you might as well have the text simply say 'you win the game'... it's extremely unlikely anyone is going to have two pieces of high quality quick removal in hand to deal with her... and most shards won't even have an OPTION to do it. The more I think about it, the more it occurs to me that prettymuch only blood and sapphire can address her at all. Since she's a 6/6, even things like Eldurathan won't help... If she's the only attacking troop holy reprisal will do it for diamond. But that's about it. Or if you have nothing in hand, then diamond ire or decree...

Win conditions are supposed to be strong, but not impossible to deal with. There's a reason we don't have very many 'you win the game' cards. The only card I can think of with 'you win the game' is Brood Baron, which can be dealt with by standard removal or purify(And the only reason he has 'you win the game' is to avoid the situation where you lose on time in pvp because the opponent draws 15000 eggs.)

• Eraia wrote:

cyberutopia wrote:

I mean, Daarmak costs more with the same thresholds, and is nowhere NEAR as strong as that.
      Let's put it this way... if she gives herself invincible, you might as well have the text simply say 'you win the game'...
      I wanted to make it a "you win" card. I guess in that case she is too easy to cast, though, especially in comparison with daarmak. I'm changing the cost.

The post was edited 1 time, last by cyberutopia ().