Kismet Packs feel bad

• Wolzarg wrote:

It is literally the point that it is rare i don't know how you don't understand this. Yes it could be tweaked a percentage point here or there but it is overall working exactly as intended. It is also infinitely better than the convocation pack chase not only do they seem more common but you could theoretically farm absurd amounts of gold and buy several hundred packs giving you as good as a guaranteed item if you want that.
      The packs are a gold sink this is their purpose the added pve fun and all that jazz is a extra benefit not the purpose of the packs. If that was the point they would just add the packs as drops somewhere.
      If your response to the subject is "they are supposed to feel bad" then I'll grant that there's no more discussion to be had.
    • Timlagor wrote:

Do you even realise you are suggesting that a single piece of Equipment is as valuable as most computer games or board games?

Dear friend :) ,

Value is in the eyes of the beholder.
      What has value for one, could have little to no value for another.

What I am saying is that if you value something enough, you will invest to get that which you value.

A painted vase worth little more then $5.
      Can have a world of value for an Old Woman, of whose grandchild made it for her.
      If she lost it, she may pay 100x that amount to return it to her.

I think I do understand what you are trying to say.
      But I believe you are not fully aware, of the Why in your thinking. :)

This subject, topic is about value.
      It has everything to do with scarcity, and what value you place in it.

In this case these are unique cards and stuff, coming only once.
      Question you should ask yourself is how much value do you place in this.
      Only you can answer this, because it is personal to you.

How bad do you want all these unique goodies that come only this one time.
      Anything can have any price, if your willing to pay it.

Man's soul has been known to pay any price, for something their heart truly Desires.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Adaline: Play* to Pay Typo ().

• So in Retrospect you have answered your own question from when you started this Topic.

"I value these unique once in a time Goodies"

But because of the scarcity, I feel I have to pay more then I value to do so.

At an unconscious level this is: You coming with a desire to down the scarcity, so you have a more increased chance to get that which you wish for a price you are willing to pay. < This is your Why >

To be more clear: "Kismets packs feel bad" = I feel bad because I am not getting that which I value for a price I am willing to pay for it, because of it's scarcity.

But downing it means more have it, and it could be of less value then.
      The more people have the same thing of value, the less value that something has.

Hope I am clear now where I am coming from :)

The post was edited 2 times, last by Adaline: Clearly stating reason x2 ().

• Timlagor wrote:

I really wish there was some clarity on drop rates so I could make an informed decision. I don't even know if the rates have changed over the various packs but it definitely feels like they did (especially the Mercs)
      This we can agree on i would love stated drop rates for each and every item personally both from chests and from these packs.
    • Adaline wrote:

Dear friend :) ,

Value is in the eyes of the beholder.
      What has value for one, could have little to no value for another.

What I am saying is that if you value something enough, you will invest to get that which you value.

blah blah blah

How bad do you want all these unique goodies that come only this one time.
      Anything can have any price, if your willing to pay it
      One more try to put this in your terms:

These items have a significant "value".
      That value is much lower than the *price*
      This is because of a totally arbitrary and unnecessary scarcity.
      Earning a few more $ (enough to buy them) would not in any way rectify this.
      The only way earning more money could affect this would be to make all the prices in Hex too small in comparison to matter at all.
      This is annoying because there is a value that is being waved at me that I can't have due to this arbitrary price.

If they were still rare but common enough that they sold for 500p-1000p it would be much better and other items in the packs could also have some value.
      This might mean that less gold was sunk in these packs BUT it also might mean that more people got these items possibly sinking even more gold.

I haven't quite managed to break my urge to collect the things but as I said at the start (thought I had but the vamps brought me back and I had persuaded myself the drop-rates improved) -if I am on the edge of it then a lot of people are already waaayyyy past considering trying to get or keep these (though they may still open for the Sleeves -/merc/AA if those managed to retain any price)
    • I bought a large number of the Tealwing packs. Never got a rare or legendary equip and decided to give up. I now buy until I get the sleeve and then stop. If there is something else in the pack that I dig I'll just buy it on the AH if the price is reasonable, like an AA or merc.

I'd buy more but enough gold is hard to come by if you're also needing it to buy pvp commons and uncommons and upgrade mercs.

I was lucky with Chest of the Oni Order which I got after a few packs and I do enjoy playing that one. Bought the Swiftpaw Trickers through trade chat especially for that. It sucks that a lot of people can't play that equipment because of it's price. Then again; I'd love to play Stormcoat as well but I can't either.
      "Ignorant beliefs are stains upon the mind."
    • Wolzarg wrote:

The packs are a gold sink this is their purpose the added pve fun and all that jazz is a extra benefit not the purpose of the packs. If that was the point they would just add the packs as drops somewhere.
      And for them to be an effective gold sink, people need to WANT TO BUY THEM. If buying them feels bad because you're always getting garbage.... then nobody will want to buy them. If there's an item that is so rare the majority of people are not motivated to seek it out, then that's a BAD RARITY STRUCTURE.

Rarity should be designed so that the item is rare enough that you have to hunt for it, but NOT SO RARE THAT IT FEELS HOPELESS SEEKING IT.

If people feel as though they're unlikely to ever see one no matter how many they buy, then they'll stop buying them. Permanently. It a balancing act... they need to be feasible to obtain, but difficult. Right now they don't feel feasible to obtain, so people are starting to give up on trying.
      Gamer. Streamer. Photographer. Writer. Anime Lover. Possessor of Stuffed Animals.

Also... I'm terrible at this game.
    • Pandaemonium wrote:

Maybe an unliked option but the only other way I see it still being a gold sink is if you make the cost of the pack being 75,000 or something and having an even chance of getting all contents. Maybe get rid of trash uncommon cards.
      I think lowering the cost was the best thing they did, honestly. I doubt I'd buy even one at 75000, regardless of rarity distribution. I would just get tired of saving long before I hit that mark and go spin chests in stead. At 15000 it's pretty feasibly to earn one in an average day's farming if I so choose. That's a good pricepoint, at least from my perspective.

They just need to adjust the rarity a bit so that the items feel attainable. ie. If a person buys, say, 50 packs, they should feasibly expect to get all the items(with the occasional bad luck meaning you don't, or good luck meaning you get multiples). 50 packs is still an individual investment of 750 thousand gold. That's a lot of gold. But by having it be relatively reliable to get the items, it also means that there is a decent chance that some people will have EXTRAS which means there will be some available, albeit for a moderately expensive price, to buy on the AH. As it is now, we've already - less than a year later - reached the point where the equipment from the first two packs are prettymuch non-existent on the AH, and on the rare occasion they is seen they are listed for so much that they're not really likely to sell.
      Gamer. Streamer. Photographer. Writer. Anime Lover. Possessor of Stuffed Animals.

• It's the player base who make the value of a card or Equipment, not Hex.

If you feel (because it's your perception) that it's cost more in the AH you can also try with the chat. Some people know that the price of a card is not what it's listed but what people are willing to pay for
    • Eraia wrote:

They just need to adjust the rarity a bit so that the items feel attainable. ie. If a person buys, say, 50 packs, they should feasibly expect to get all the items(with the occasional bad luck meaning you don't, or good luck meaning you get multiples).
      Is that not the way? I only bought 40 vampire packs and got all the stuff and more to be way on the plus side afterwards. So I must be one of those with good luck?
      And the people demanding better drop rates must be the ones with the ocassional bad luck then, by your measurement.
    • Pandaemonium wrote:

Maybe an unliked option but the only other way I see it still being a gold sink is if you make the cost of the pack being 75,000 or something and having an even chance of getting all contents. Maybe get rid of trash uncommon cards.
      Well, in that case I would stop buying them altogether unless I was guaranteed a sleeve with one pack.
      "Ignorant beliefs are stains upon the mind."
    • They could have a pack item be 0.001% chance to drop and as long as there are enough people that want it the gold sink will still be functional you are missreading the situation by saying "Well I'm not willing to work hard for it so neither are other people." Lots of people buy packs and the equipments sell for the price the market dictates if its so too much then buy some fricking packs and crack the item and become rich.
    • Eraia wrote:

Rarity should be designed so that the item is rare enough that you have to hunt for it, but NOT SO RARE THAT IT FEELS HOPELESS SEEKING IT.
      In order for a chase item to hold any value, its rarity needs to be so not everybody who wants it can get it. If everybody is certain that they can obtain it, then the item has no secondary market value. It is clear from the start that, when you buy Kismet reserves packs, you have no guarantee to get the one item you are looking for. It's a gamble.
    • omoreindakitchen wrote:

Is that not the way? I only bought 40 vampire packs and got all the stuff and more to be way on the plus side afterwards. So I must be one of those with good luck?
      And the people demanding better drop rates must be the ones with the ocassional bad luck then, by your measurement.
      I've bought between 50 and 100 of the past two packs, and not gotten all the items. Last time I persisted a bit longer because I wanted the merc... but this time I've given up at about 55-60.

I hear a lot of similar stories. Right now it feels like the droprates on the equipment are close to 0.5-0.25%, but we don't know for sure.

Fred wrote:

In order for a chase item to hold any value, its rarity needs to be so not everybody who wants it can get it. If everybody is certain that they can obtain it, then the item has no secondary market value. It is clear from the start that, when you buy Kismet reserves packs, you have no guarantee to get the one item you are looking for. It's a gamble.
      This only applies if we assume no new players will ever come, and that EVERY SINGLE PLAYER farms 750k gold for every kismet pack.
      I personally hope the former is not the case. And I KNOW the latter is not.

• Eraia wrote:

I've bought between 50 and 100 of the past two packs, and not gotten all the items. Last time I persisted a bit longer because I wanted the merc... but this time I've given up at about 55-60.
      it is quit irrational to spend 4 500 plat or $45 in Kismet Packs when their content worth less.

And btw, $45 is more than I need to give to Hex every 4 months to be able to play the game without any restriction...

Completly insane where I stand.
    • Adaline wrote:

So in Retrospect you have answered your own question from when you started this Topic.

"I value these unique once in a time Goodies"

But because of the scarcity, I feel I have to pay more then I value to do so.

At an unconscious level this is: You coming with a desire to down the scarcity, so you have a more increased chance to get that which you wish for a price you are willing to pay. < This is your Why >

To be more clear: "Kismets packs feel bad" = I feel bad because I am not getting that which I value for a price I am willing to pay for it, because of it's scarcity.

But downing it means more have it, and it could be of less value then.
      The more people have the same thing of value, the less value that something has.

Hope I am clear now where I am coming from :)
      You're almost there.
      The "value" we are talking about (you established this) is NOT the price. My value would not go down from the rarity decreasing, just my resale price.
      Other people having it doesn't make it less fun for me.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Timlagor ().

• omoreindakitchen wrote:

Is that not the way? I only bought 40 vampire packs and got all the stuff and more to be way on the plus side afterwards. So I must be one of those with good luck?And the people demanding better drop rates must be the ones with the occasional bad luck then, by your measurement.
      Yes you were very lucky.
      If we could expect to get both legendary equips from 40 packs it would be ok. (NB expect to get them both is not get them in 40 packs on average but have 75%-90% confidence of finding them in that number)

Also you don't address the fact that it's not about getting everything: there are two items that actually matter in terms of getting everything, every other opening is a disappointment. Once you abandon those two you can open a dozen packs and get what you're after.

I think 750kgp (50 packs ~3500p equiv) is too high for a megapack with the whole playset (4xcards, 1xothers) but I probably would buy that.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Timlagor ().