Kismet Packs feel bad

    • Kismet Packs feel bad

      The drop rates on Kismet packs are so tilted that as someone who wants to get all the contents, I'm only pleased to see the legendary equipments. Every other items is a disappointment -even right at the start I know that I'm going to get everything else with spares.

      There are certainly people who care primarily about the sleeves and it's good they don't have to open too many to find them.

      but "chase items" I hear you say! The thing is that even when I get that legendary equipment I'm not excited; I'm just relieved and that's really not a good reaction to the rarest thing in the packs. I'm all for there being some value to the stuff in the packs but the rarity is very badly distributed at present and since these packs can just be bought in any number the value is always doing to average around 15kg (~75p) until they leave the shop. Every bit of 'hype' these equips have is stolen from the cards and the frustration degrades the whole experience

      ...and once they are out of print it's the sleeve that's going to drive the value of packs.

      I may soon make the effort to adjust my expectations and simply not bother collecting these items (though I'd likely invest in a few packs to resell later).



      [obviously I'm not suggesting changing drop rates for current packs where people have already paid thousands of plat for some items]
    • This thread is about complaining that a rare item is hard to get. And that people don't want the item, not really, because when they do get it they "just get relieved their search is over" and stack it away because it's worthless to them.

      Or, alternatively, that the Rare items are not strong enough. See, I would understand THIS complain if it was made that way.

      "Rare things are hard to get and when my manic impulse of owning everything gets addressed, instead of filling me with happiness it leaves a void inside" No shit, Sherlock.

      Let that sink in for a moment.
    • Timlagor wrote:

      ...and once they are out of print it's the sleeve that's going to drive the value of packs
      Thats not correct. Did you check what the equipments for the talon and oni go for? Good equipment drives part of the value. Otherwise people would just buy the packs relatively cheaply on the AH, open them and sell them if the EV would be so heavily skewed. The latest pack might not be the best one but not all of them can be a hit.


      Personally, I like the rarity distribution because it makes some parts of the packs actually worth something (at least when the cards/equip are good). And because of its scarcity and associated value, I always felt excited when I opened a legendary equip. It is also the reason why I bought extra packs for the future. If they suck I can always just wait for the next pack.
    • We haven't had enough time for there to be many people who want sleeves and weren't around to get them when they were easy. The extreme rarity does indeed make the equips significant but the low chance makes them again a small proportion of the pack value.

      There is value in the pack because it costs a significant chunk of gold to buy in the first place. Rarity is not adding value to the pack just moving it around between the contents. Quality of effect can affect value of course especially once they go 'out of print'.
    • I do think that the rarity table of these packs should be evened out a bit. Not saying they should make the hard to get items common... but maybe increase the droprates of the rare equipment by like ~1% and the merc by like ~2% so that out of 100 packs we'll see ~1 more of each equipment and 2 more mercs... but also that we'll probably get the merc a bit sooner at first.

      Edit: And just to be clear... I actually wonder whether they're playing with the droprates to try to find the right middle ground... because by all counts I've heard, Sekki was far more common than the new merc is. It'd make sense. They can't play with droprates mid-run because that'd be horribly unfair... but they can change them at the start of each new run to experiment and find a spot that works.
      Gamer. Streamer. Photographer. Writer. Anime Lover. Possessor of Stuffed Animals.

      Also... I'm terrible at this game.

      The post was edited 1 time, last by Eraia ().

    • Its a non issue for me i will get them if they are good and for good cards. But with the berry pack I'm just not excited for the cards which is a bit sad. Granted if it wasn't for the slaughtergear nerf i wouldn't look at it as hard and just probably keep going but from now on my collecting has gone from 100% playables to meh ill see if i need them. The berry pack doesn't hit that for me and the value clearly shows it doesn't for other people either based on the ah cost of the legends.
    • AceBladewing wrote:

      Now we're complaining that rare items are rare? Good lord.
      I love the way you come into threads, barely read the comments, then oversimplify everything. I really do, because it makes the rest of us seem so much more reasonable. Thank you for doing us this great service.
      Gamer. Streamer. Photographer. Writer. Anime Lover. Possessor of Stuffed Animals.

      Also... I'm terrible at this game.
    • Eraia wrote:

      AceBladewing wrote:

      Now we're complaining that rare items are rare? Good lord.
      I love the way you come into threads, barely read the comments, then oversimplify everything. I really do, because it makes the rest of us seem so much more reasonable. Thank you for doing us this great sservice.
      I read the entire thread, you shouldn't assume the actions of others. Also, you should avoid personal attacks.
    • Eraia wrote:

      I do think that the rarity table of these packs should be evened out a bit. Not saying they should make the hard to get items common... but maybe increase the droprates of the rare equipment by like ~1% and the merc by like ~2% so that out of 100 packs we'll see ~1 more of each equipment and 2 more mercs... but also that we'll probably get the merc a bit sooner at first.

      Edit: And just to be clear... I actually wonder whether they're playing with the droprates to try to find the right middle ground... because by all counts I've heard, Sekki was far more common than the new merc is. It'd make sense. They can't play with droprates mid-run because that'd be horribly unfair... but they can change them at the start of each new run to experiment and find a spot that works.
      I seem to recall a long thread about how they want to communicate better. This is something I would really like them to tell us if they're doing (I actually see no purpose in not just telling us drop rates)
    • Fred wrote:

      Timlagor wrote:

      The drop rates on Kismet packs are so tilted that as someone who wants to get all the contents
      That's your first mistake right there...

      Timlagor wrote:

      I may soon make the effort to adjust my expectations
      ... not that's the spirit!
      "New pack with new cool things. . . too bad I won't be able to get the new cool things."

      You're saying that's what we should be doing? Seems feel bad to me.
    • Dylan wrote:

      Fred wrote:

      Timlagor wrote:

      The drop rates on Kismet packs are so tilted that as someone who wants to get all the contents
      That's your first mistake right there...

      Timlagor wrote:

      I may soon make the effort to adjust my expectations
      ... not that's the spirit!
      "New pack with new cool things. . . too bad I won't be able to get the new cool things."
      You're saying that's what we should be doing? Seems feel bad to me.
      No hes saying don't expect to get ALL the cool things for a small investment. If you buy 3 packs you are likely to get 1 cool thing if you buy 100 you are likely to get most if you buy 500 you are likely to get all. But you can't buy 20 and be upset that you didn't get a perfect distribution of the 20 things.
    • Wolzarg wrote:

      No hes saying don't expect to get ALL the cool things for a small investment. If you buy 3 packs you are likely to get 1 cool thing if you buy 100 you are likely to get most if you buy 500 you are likely to get all. But you can't buy 20 and be upset that you didn't get a perfect distribution of the 20 things.
      So, just so I understand... the universe of possible "cool things" for someone who wants a playset of each is:
      - Sleeve (you can only get 1 of)
      - Uncommon PVP AA (you want 4 of)
      - Rare PVP AA (you want 4 of)
      - Mercenary (you want 1 of)
      - Legendary PVE card (you want 4 of)
      - Rare and Legendary equip for Legendary PVE card (you want 1 each of)
      - Rare PVE card (you want 4 of)
      - Uncommon and Legendary equip for Rare PVE card (you want 1 each of)

      So, 22 "cool things". And you're saying if I buy 500 I am likely to get all of them? And if I buy 100 I'm likely to get most? And, given crafting isn't in the game yet, what do I do with all my extras? Because I can't sell my extra Berry Bunches already. "Sell them and buy what you don't need on the AH, duh!" There's a Marmaladers on the AH right now for a 649p buyout. So I sell 7 Berry Bunches or Critical Jamages or Paired Powers to get the 707p to buy that (hoping that it's not gone by the time I'm done. And those cost me 105,000g to buy (which, let's say I farmed a bunch the campaign and averaged 10k per hour, took me 10.5 hours).

      So now I need to go farm up the Fruit Punchers (none of which are on the AH right this second, but let's go with the 1180p average shown on hex.tcgbrowser.com). Going through the same math, thats 12 cards, which I bought for 180,000g (that took me roughly 18 hours to farm) to turn into 1212p. So, ~28 hours of farming to get items to sell to buy the chase equips? Seem legit to you? Because each time I open up a Kismet's Reserve pack (which I presumably did at least 22 times, if not more because not every time am I going to get one of the profitable cards that may or may not actually sell on the AH because there are 23 other Berry Bunches, 35 other Critical Jamages, and 9 Paired Power AAs on the AH right now at the Plat price floor.

      I'm not upset I don't get a perfect distribution of the 22 things. I'm upset that, based on the AH, I'll get multiple playsets of cards (PVP and PVE) before I'll get both of the Legendary equips.

      Distribution for the Holiday events has been great so far. It normally takes me 8-10 dungeon runs to get a playset and all equips. I'd love if the regular distribution of Kismet pack drops meant I'd be reasonably assured of getting the PVE stuff (merc, cards, equips) by buying ~40-50 packs or so (6,000,000-7,500,000 gold). If you want to add in PVP AAs, bump that to 60-70 packs (which is still 9,000,000-10,500,000 gold).

      That's a pretty big expectation of effort to be able to get those items. Oh, and you've got a month or two to do it because the packs are going to cycle pretty damned soon likely never to return.

      Seems pretty feel bad to me and I wish there were either more time to get the items for each pack, or there weren't so many items per pack and the distribution were more even for the drop rates.
    • Dylan wrote:

      "New pack with new cool things. . . too bad I won't be able to get the new cool things."

      You're saying that's what we should be doing? Seems feel bad to me.
      How about "Ooohhh, new PvE content. Let's see if Kismet is kind to me today... ... ... nope... ... still not... ... aw well, I tried. I'll just go back to enjoying the 300 other ways I can play PvE and enjoy the content is so many different ways."

      Sure, the legendary piece of equipment enables one deck. And while that one deck might (or might not) be cool to play with, how much time will you honestly spend playing it over the course of the next few years? Something else will come along and will be equally fun. Kismet's Reserve packs rotate so fast that by the time one has all the pieces from it, he can play with it for a couple of weeks at most until the next packs come along, and then they repeat the process. Not being able to play this one deck for a couple of weeks until you try your luck again at the next set Kismet brings is not going to ruin the game for you.
    • Pandaemonium wrote:

      I think there is a valid argument that everything but the legendary equipment and merc are worthless for the pve player. I really wouldnt mind if they increased the drop rate of the leg. equipment myself.
      To be fair, the PVE player needs a playset of the cards in order for the equipment to have worth. But the drop rates of cards vs legendary equipment is very skewed such that there will be many, many more playsets of cards than there will be of legendary equipment for each of the cards. And that seems kinda whack to me.