Delayed Friday Update... now!

• Delayed Friday Update... now!

Hello everyone! happy Friday Tuesday!

as you know EVERY Tuesday at HEX HQ we... WORK OUR ASSES OFF ON HEX! seriously Jared has almost no ass left!

the Friday update was pretty light, just a real focus on the HEX BASH... and rightfully so!
      And with the advantage of addressing this AFTER the event I can report that it went of without technical issues! That makes me VERY happy

Hope everyone enjoys the prizes!

So I delayed the update update so I could give you a more complete (well totally complete) look at the project I mentioned last week QST

Let me start off by saying 99% of my time and energy goes into HEX and nothing is going to change that, but as a creative I LOVE coming up new ways to do stuff, I would say I am more of a concept person than just about anything else. and usually my idea revolve around things I want as a consumer, heck that is 100% where HEX came from.

About 7 years ago (around the time we started Cryptozoic) I had an idea about doing a subscription service that delivered NEW games every month and kept what was coming a secret until you got it. Really playing up the anticipation of getting an exciting new game in the mail each month, we never got around to it and years later pop culture subscription stuff made the scene and I kicked myself for not pushing the idea. As we had so much going on, I just shelved the concept for later and frankly the logistics of it seemed pretty daunting so..., Heck when I FIRST had the idea Kickstarting wasn't really an option, so the initial job of building a subscription base seemed almost impossible.

Well, the idea has really stuck with me and as I look around at the subscription services available I still really don't see what I had in mind. So I figured why not take the plunge and see if anyone else likes the idea, or at least the approximately 2500 people I need to make this actually happen.

please if you get a chance check it out
      kickstarter.com/projects/30100…top-game-subscription-box

I am actually very excited about the idea, we have amazing people involved and I think the level of collectible-ness that will be built into these games, will make the "bet" of their value pretty safe.

I will say this Kickstarting stuff is nerve wracking, a real flashback to 4 years ago...

I just have to keep reminding myself that failing isn't as bad as not trying, that is the sin I cannot live with...

love, cory ;)
    • That Kickstarter video was insane! (I should have expected no less from Cory.) Ryan's acting job was on point, I hope it doesn't inflate his ego and he runs off to Hollywood.

HEXCoryJones wrote:

EVERY Tuesday at HEX HQ we... WORK OUR ASSES OFF ON HEX!
      This is true.

HEXCoryJones wrote:

seriously Jared has almost no ass left
      Uhh, not quite as true. :P

This project looks so rad Cory, such a genius concept! I'm super excited to see all the projects that get created. Congrats!
    • Poodigne wrote:

Great idea! Tooo bad that I live in canada, it makes it expensive.
      I spent a solid month trying to find a solution, it sucks...
      I had a hard time deciding if I should just NOT offer it in the EU and Canada, or offer it with this crazy shipping (that shipping is the flat fee I was given)

super sorry, we have always had a HUGE challenge with international shipping
      and I went to multiple large groups that do this sort of thing
    • HEXSirSleepy wrote:

That Kickstarter video was insane! (I should have expected no less from Cory.) Ryan's acting job was on point, I hope it doesn't inflate his ego and he runs off to Hollywood.

HEXCoryJones wrote:

EVERY Tuesday at HEX HQ we... WORK OUR ASSES OFF ON HEX!
      This is true.

HEXCoryJones wrote:

seriously Jared has almost no ass left
      Uhh, not quite as true. :P
      This project looks so rad Cory, such a genius concept! I'm super excited to see all the projects that get created. Congrats!
      The ass that comes with colonopoly is Jared's confirmed. =P
    • Poodigne wrote:

Same for me. Can't justify the shipping costs myself, but I know it's not his fault. It's a combination of awful customs and really awkward cross-border shipping issues.

Best of luck on this project Cory.
      Gamer. Streamer. Photographer. Writer. Anime Lover. Possessor of Stuffed Animals.

Also... I'm terrible at this game.
    • Eraia wrote:

Poodigne wrote:

Same for me. Can't justify the shipping costs myself, but I know it's not his fault. It's a combination of awful customs and really awkward cross-border shipping issues.
      Best of luck on this project Cory.
      yeah sometimes I wish I was born in USA. If it wasnt for the shipping I would have been the first to pledge. Still wish you the best od luck Cory and hope you hit 100 "the eye" backer.
    • That is an awesome cool project Cory. I wish you all the best.

Unfortunately, I have to jump on the "It sucks to be in Canada" bandwagon :( I could have justified spending $13 a month on that, but the international shipping cost makes it unaffordable.

Eraia wrote:

It's a combination of awful customs and really awkward cross-border shipping issues.
      True. If only we had some form of free trade agreement... oh wait...
    • Audens wrote:

Out of curiosity, what's the barrier to contract manufacturing within Europe? Seems like it shouldn't cost an extra $11+ per set to do that such that it's more economical to do the international shipping.
      I don't know about the specifics of European manufacturers but there are only a handful of US manufacturers at most and they are mostly used for print on demand or prototyping. These (American) manufacturers are DRAMATICALLY more expensive than China is even despite all of the warehouse logistics and shipping fees. More importantly, the quality of their product is just not the same as what comes out of China.

In this case, "American Made" does not equal quality.

I would expect the same to be the case with any other manufacturers (including those in Europe) out of anywhere other than China.

There might be cheaper fulfillment centers (which is likely what you meant) that have better logistics in Europe, but that part is outside of my wheelhouse so I can't really speak on it.

Edit: be glad you don't live in australia... board game shipping alone can run 2-3x the MSRP of the game
    • Funktion wrote:

Audens wrote:

Out of curiosity, what's the barrier to contract manufacturing within Europe? Seems like it shouldn't cost an extra $11+ per set to do that such that it's more economical to do the international shipping.
      I don't know about the specifics of European manufacturers but there are only a handful of US manufacturers at most and they are mostly used for print on demand or prototyping. These (American) manufacturers are DRAMATICALLY more expensive than China is even despite all of the warehouse logistics and shipping fees. More importantly, the quality of their product is just not the same as what comes out of China.
      In this case, "American Made" does not equal quality.

I would expect the same to be the case with any other manufacturers (including those in Europe) out of anywhere other than China.

There might be cheaper fulfillment centers (which is likely what you meant) that have better logistics in Europe, but that part is outside of my wheelhouse so I can't really speak on it.

Edit: be glad you don't live in australia... board game shipping alone can run 2-3x the MSRP of the game
      My assumption was that these are being made in America, otherwise why would there be such a large disparity between the cost to ship to the US and the cost to ship to Canada (or Europe for that matter)? It doesn't sound like they're going to be shipping games by the container load.
    • Audens wrote:

Funktion wrote:

Audens wrote:

I don't know about the specifics of European manufacturers but there are only a handful of US manufacturers at most and they are mostly used for print on demand or prototyping. These (American) manufacturers are DRAMATICALLY more expensive than China is even despite all of the warehouse logistics and shipping fees. More importantly, the quality of their product is just not the same as what comes out of China.In this case, "American Made" does not equal quality.

My assumption was that these are being made in America, otherwise why would there be such a large disparity between the cost to ship to the US and the cost to ship to Canada (or Europe for that matter)? It doesn't sound like they're going to be shipping games by the container load.
      Cost of anything to be shipped to Europe from America has a HUGE price tag on it, if I ever want to buy clothes I have to pay 50-60$ extra (for shipping) so that it comes to my address, it doesn't matter whats being shipped (but obviously if it's bigger it means you pay more, the price I gave is light dress/shirt whatever that doesn't weight that much) - what matters is all the stuff they do - go out of their way - just so it's shipped to some place, sometimes it goes by plane (DHL, UPS is mostly in Europe) sometimes it goes by car ship blah blah. That said I'm only talking about Europe :P No idea what cost is for Canada, guess it depends how close state is to Canada and/or what's the agreedment for shipping stuff between said so.

I loved the Video for Kickstarter! Made me giggle like crazy! Good job on it! Also hope it's huge success! :)
    • Yeah, that Canadian shipping rate is just bullshit. More to ship it than for the actual subscription? Sorry, can't do it. I know it's not your fault, but it's a real shame nonetheless. I love the idea, but there's no way I would ever pay that much for shipping a 5x5 box of cardboard game bits.
      --ossuary

"Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none."
      - Shakespeare, All's Well That Ends Well