Hex Campaign Suggestions

• I was thinking of possible ways to implement more depth and variety, and I came up with something.

Considering the way the map works, with nodes, paths, and a player pawn moving between them, I think it could be a nice gamemode to have a sort of board-game-esque feel.

Imagine you start a dungeon, and there's a number of lesser encounters, and a boss, scattered across several nodes. The nodes are not arranged in a linear fashion, but rather more like a gameboard, think Mario Party. Every time you move, the enemies move right afterwards. If you and an enemy end up on the same node, you do battle.

There could be special nodes that carry treasures. Some might add +1 to starting resources, others may start you off with health, some may contain traps, etc. The challenge would be to maneouver in such a way that you avoid confrontation with the boss until you have collected enough benefits off the board and other enemies to stand a solid chance.

These could even be randomised using -some- of the current FRA encounters. Lesser encounters, greater encounters, and boss encounters, selected at random, for example.

I think a gamemode like this could produce quite a bit of new, fresh and repeatable fun. Especially if the treasure nodes can pick from a looooong list of very wildly varying effects, to further interact with the many types of decks there are.
    • Firellius wrote:

I was thinking of possible ways to implement more depth and variety, and I came up with something.

Considering the way the map works, with nodes, paths, and a player pawn moving between them, I think it could be a nice gamemode to have a sort of board-game-esque feel.

Imagine you start a dungeon, and there's a number of lesser encounters, and a boss, scattered across several nodes. The nodes are not arranged in a linear fashion, but rather more like a gameboard, think Mario Party. Every time you move, the enemies move right afterwards. If you and an enemy end up on the same node, you do battle.

There could be special nodes that carry treasures. Some might add +1 to starting resources, others may start you off with health, some may contain traps, etc. The challenge would be to maneouver in such a way that you avoid confrontation with the boss until you have collected enough benefits off the board and other enemies to stand a solid chance.

These could even be randomised using -some- of the current FRA encounters. Lesser encounters, greater encounters, and boss encounters, selected at random, for example.

I think a gamemode like this could produce quite a bit of new, fresh and repeatable fun. Especially if the treasure nodes can pick from a looooong list of very wildly varying effects, to further interact with the many types of decks there are.
      This could be neat. I would be interested to try such a mode. Basically add another strategic layer on top of the tactical one. I like it. :)
    • The feature could even be adapted for rudimentary co-op or competitive multiplayer, with two or more players either going up against each other on such a board, or cooperating to secure more bonuses and take down the enemy faster.

A co-op mode could even use hate decks to prey on the weaknesses of one player and require the two players to coordinate: Who is going after which target?
    • Firellius wrote:

I was thinking of possible ways to implement more depth and variety, and I came up with something.

That's an interesting concept. Definitely a higher development burden than I was personally going for with my ideas(as most of these pieces would be completely new tech), but would be interesting to see them try.

I can't help but wonder the lifespan of an idea like this. Party games tend to only be good for short bursts, and I feel like I would get sick of having to deal with moving around the gameboard over time, personally. That being said, it would definitely have a higher lifespan than the current campaign, so still a net positive ;)
      Gamer. Streamer. Photographer. Writer. Anime Lover. Possessor of Stuffed Animals.

Also... I'm terrible at this game.
    • How about the following low hanging fruit - Difficulty tiers for Dungeons.

The currently useless star in the node display can be used for the difficulty selection of the dungeons.

For each dungeon the first star is the basic dungeon as it currently is.

- Let's talk about the Dream dungeon as an example
      The second star grants a bonus to each opponent - Charge powers have cost -1.
      3rd star maybe +25 starting life
      4th +2 starting hand size
      5th star all cards in opponent's deck gain cost -1 at the start of the game. Sister Midnight gets At the start of the game each card in opposing hands get cost +1.

the Tomb of the rose knights could have a tier 2 of : Enemies after the first one start with one Blaze Elemental in play.

The gnoll bluff could have: Enemies put an ancient shard (the provides each threshold you need one) into their hand when the game begins.

To access the higher tiers you have to beat the current one - preventing new players from accessing more difficult content early.

The reward could be - for each tier - a 5% gold boost for each tier after the first, and maybe a 1% chance per tier to get a random Dust (in addition to the elf trait)
      Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master.
      • Commisioner Pravin Lal - Alpha Centauri
    • SlayerStronghold wrote:

How about the following low hanging fruit - Difficulty tiers for Dungeons.

The currently useless star in the node display can be used for the difficulty selection of the dungeons.

For each dungeon the first star is the basic dungeon as it currently is.

- Let's talk about the Dream dungeon as an example
      The second star grants a bonus to each opponent - Charge powers have cost -1.
      3rd star maybe +25 starting life
      4th +2 starting hand size
      5th star all cards in opponent's deck gain cost -1 at the start of the game. Sister Midnight gets At the start of the game each card in opposing hands get cost +1.

the Tomb of the rose knights could have a tier 2 of : Enemies after the first one start with one Blaze Elemental in play.

The gnoll bluff could have: Enemies put an ancient shard (the provides each threshold you need one) into their hand when the game begins.

To access the higher tiers you have to beat the current one - preventing new players from accessing more difficult content early.

The reward could be - for each tier - a 5% gold boost for each tier after the first, and maybe a 1% chance per tier to get a random Dust (in addition to the elf trait)
      I'm not opposed to the idea, but what we really need is something with some variety. Something that changes regularly, to keep the campaign fresh.
      Gamer. Streamer. Photographer. Writer. Anime Lover. Possessor of Stuffed Animals.

Also... I'm terrible at this game.