HEX Bash Announcement

• matbimonte wrote:

If you can't lose $7 a weekend you should probably be working that day anyways, or looking for a side job.
      Oh my good did you just unemployed shame someone... horrible just horrible.

That said 7$ as a entry fee is really nothing that is less than friday night magic here. The price for that is like 5 boosters to the winner so yeah...
    • The on demand constructed gauntlets are sorely missed by players who can not devote significant blocks of time on weekends to play competitive hex for relevant prizes. The Hex Bash does not provide an answer to what that player population is seeking.

I hope that the Bash is wildly successful and the AAA sleeved and board are amazing.

Here's hoping we see more support for on demand constructed formats in the future.
    • MealyMouth wrote:

I really want to be happy for this and almost feel bad for saying otherwise, but I'm just not.

I don't get why all of these events are a 6hr+ straight commitment on a weekend for a digital game.

I think more people than not would prefer a delay and create some kind of league/event where you can play 6-8 matches over the course of a week and get prizes based off your final record.

This lets people not be tied to the computer for such a long period, as well as allows more flexibility across time zones.
      So isnt that what the latter is. Adding another event that acts like that is going to bring the same types of desk and not mix up the construed meta. A Swiss event is going to bring different decks because with a latter people try to bring decks that are really fast to grind as fast as possible. In a Swiss event people are always going to try and find that counter to that fast deck. I think this is a good thing and I dont play much constructed. I might be wrong.
    • Hey look i've been reminded why I stopped posting on the forums regularly. I post a message. One person takes a line out of context almost certainly ignoring everything else i've typed then other people follow that one person if they agree and in most cases probably don't even read my original post. One even felt the need to post back to back with a snarky comment as if added anything to the discussion and only did it to boost his ego.

I did not say $7 was expensive as an entry fee. I said $7 was a fairly high entry for an event which requires over a 70% win rate to even have a chance at prize range. Hex isn't a physical card game. They don't need to cover large venue costs, they don't need to order in prizing since it's all 100% digital (Not that the effective cost of this is 0 either it's just significantly less), they aren't doing live coverage they are doing a single post the day after it's finished. They don't need to charge extraordinary prices because they have significantly less expenses to run the event. If the prizing was friendly I would have not have brought up the price but because it has such a high threshold for prizing given this entry. This is made even worse by the lowest tier prizing being based off a single AAA so if the card becomes low value then the threshold for prizing becomes even higher.

And no people who think their clever by implying I have financial issues (another common trope of the forums where people who can't think of anything to say try to take something out of nowhere and apply it without actually adding to their side). I'm not saying this because I have a limited budget. I'm saying it because I actually try to give criticism where I think it's due. You see I want to see hex meet a standard that I know they can meet and I'm not going to give them a free pass just because they announced a tournament. There's still severe issues with their handling of constructed that drive away players and all this tournament does is favor the people who already didn't care about the handling of constructed had.
    • Reeplay wrote:

I did not say $7 was expensive as an entry fee. I said $7 was a fairly high entry for an event which requires over a 70% win rate to even have a chance at prize range. Hex isn't a physical card game.
      I'll repeat myself since you clearly didn't read what I posted - you just looked at what I quoted:

MTGO isn't a physical card game either and they charge TWENTY FIVE dollars to enter similar events with less prizes.

All I ever see you do here is complain Reeplay. Nothing is good enough.

This is a great addition to Hex and just because it isn't exactly what you think is needed to head off to the salt mines. Not every thing has to appeal to every player. Just because something isn't ideal for you doesn't mean it is bad for everyone.
    • Reeplay wrote:

I said $7 was a fairly high entry for an event which requires over a 70% win rate to even have a chance at prize range.
      I completely agree with this sentiment. Do you want high participation or do you want to sort the best of the best? I think Hex wants high participation (CCS is for the best). In that case, run the sleeves all the way to top 64. Use vanity items to reward engagement and above average play. Far more people should feel like they got something for their time. With this prize structure, the tournament should be lucky to get 100 people after the first month.

The people who would pay $25 for a Magic tournament don't appear to be playing this game in great numbers. If they were, the constructed VIP tournaments wouldn't have trouble firing. In this game, thousands of Kickstarters are used to paying $0 and complaining the whole time. The player base has a very different set of expectations.
    • Kubiran wrote:

If they were, the constructed VIP tournaments wouldn't have trouble firing.
      This is completely untrue. The VIP promos have been bad and worth very little for awhile now. I haven't played one in months - when they had promos like Croc and Lazgar I played them.

Past this you have to jump through some hoops to even find these events even when the promos are good. It isn't just get a deck, pay an entry fee, and be good to go.

The Bash has cash and a good promo selection. It is very different.
    • Hey. Not planning on reading this thread, because...well...look at it. But if Hex Devs are, my message to you:

This is sweet. Hex Constructed is fantastic. Regular tournaments drive innovation and competitive play. The rewards are great. You've designed a terrific format, and this is going to be an amazing chance to show it off regularly.
    • JeffHoogland wrote:

Reeplay wrote:

I did not say $7 was expensive as an entry fee. I said $7 was a fairly high entry for an event which requires over a 70% win rate to even have a chance at prize range. Hex isn't a physical card game.
      I'll repeat myself since you clearly didn't read what I posted - you just looked at what I quoted:
      MTGO isn't a physical card game either and they charge TWENTY FIVE dollars to enter similar events with less prizes.

All I ever see you do here is complain Reeplay. Nothing is good enough.

This is a great addition to Hex and just because it isn't exactly what you think is needed to head off to the salt mines. Not every thing has to appeal to every player. Just because something isn't ideal for you doesn't mean it is bad for everyone.
      I apologize. I misread your original post as MTG. That is very different then though we all know that wizards aren't exactly setting the standard to digital card games so they're never the best comparison to go to but I won't say much more on that because it's not a game I have any interest or knowledge in.

Selective memory at it's best. Out of my last month of activity everything I have posted on the forums outside of this thread has been a bug report, feedback on some stuff or just to clarify some information for people in a discussion and that post 1 month ago was on the clash thread about AAA frostlock which was a fairly unanimous thread.
      See we're all people and none of us have unlimited time. I don't go around posting "I love the new update to the FRA, I really liked the challenge and all the new equipment + cards gave me so many ideas for decks to try" because I said it once and I didn't need to again, I also with that posted about how some of the hate encounters are a tad too hateful. Saying "I like this thing" doesn't help anyone, if I and other people like the thing then the thing is good and hex don't need to do much more with it. Instead I only try to post things that will add to the game in some way. I'll make a post to move a thread along back on topic, I'll post criticism on points that I think the game needs to be improved on because those are where those improvements can be made. You don't need to agree with what I think but that doesn't mean that you need to dismiss it entirely. If the problems I have with the game aren't addressed I'll bring it back up a few months later and I've been vocally against the handling of constructed since they announced they were removing the gauntlets for the ladder and nothing else which is why I've become more well known for it because the issue has been around for so long for me to bring up. Even though it's something I might bring up in a twitch chat maybe twice a month (at least in a serious way) and even when I do it's more to have a discussion with people than a reason to actually complain about it. (The flaws of text chat, while a lot of what I type can be read as complaining I nearly always mean it in a constructed way).

I also never said hex bash was a bad addition. I also know when something that isn't for me is still good for the game or at least why hex has done it. The thing is the hex bash isn't hex solving the core problems with how they handle constructed. It's like they have a giant hole and instead of filling in the hole they put a table over it and hope no one noticed. If the problems didn't exist I would be excited for this tournament but instead of working to resolve them we got this and I just can't magically enjoy a format for 1 event a week when the other 6 days they don't seem to want me to play at all.
      The fact you're thinking the worst of why I typed this leans much more heavily on you being the 'salt mine' and because you do it are assuming i'm doing it as well. When everything I type is just because I want to see the game improve.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Reeplay ().

• Reeplay wrote:

I also never said hex bash was a bad addition. I also know when something that isn't for me is still good for the game or at least why hex has done it. The thing is the hex bash isn't hex solving the core problems with how they handle constructed. It's like they have a giant hole and instead of filling in the hole they put a table over it and hope no one noticed. If the problems didn't exist I would be excited for this tournament but instead of working to resolve them we got this and I just can't magically enjoy a format for 1 event a week when the other 6 days they don't seem to want me to play at all.
      For now, maybe. It might even be the case that the "for now" has been months/years, but I'm hopeful that CZE will have a reason for everyone to eventually play constructed daily. I understand it was disappointing when they removed Constructed Gauntlet and not replace it with something/anything for some of you. You gotta understand, though, that they're trying to do their best with what they've been given. If the game had millions of players they could have 1k cash prizes constructed tournaments every day. But they don't. They're working hard with what they have, and I think what they've given us is good enough.

I'm actually surprised that they could do what they do with the playerbase we have. Maybe there are more whales than I thought. Maybe the game is bleeding money. Who knows. What I do know though is that they've always had our best interest in mind, and I'm grateful that CZE is...well, CZE. I don't think any other company are committed as CZE is when it comes to doing right by their players.

I'll join the HEX Bash/Clash as much as possible even though I don't like constructed, limited, or care about the prizes.
    • Yasi wrote:

Reeplay wrote:

For now, maybe. It might even be the case that the "for now" has been months/years, but I'm hopeful that CZE will have a reason for everyone to eventually play constructed daily. I understand it was disappointing when they removed Constructed Gauntlet and not replace it with something/anything for some of you. You gotta understand, though, that they're trying to do their best with what they've been given. If the game had millions of players they could have 1k cash prizes constructed tournaments every day. But they don't. They're working hard with what they have, and I think what they've given us is good enough.
      I'm actually surprised that they could do what they do with the playerbase we have. Maybe there are more whales than I thought. Maybe the game is bleeding money. Who knows. What I do know though is that they've always had our best interest in mind, and I'm grateful that CZE is...well, CZE. I don't think any other company are committed as CZE is when it comes to doing right by their players.
      Best comment on the thread so far.
      -The Greatest of All Time
    • Yasi wrote:

I'll join the HEX Bash/Clash as much as possible even though I don't like constructed, limited, or care about the prizes.
      It's also true that maybe the player base wouldn't be shrinking if there were more options/choices of modes. They had a mode that a lot of people liked in constructed gauntlet. They removed it for another mode. Some people who didn't play constructed started playing ladder but it seems that a significant number of people just stopped playing constructed altogether (constructed ladder games played has been decreasing steadily and is about 1/2 of what it was a year ago). This game can't succeed just on CZE's good intentions.