HEX Bash Announcement

• I'm always asking myself how you want to make money

7$ tournaments that pay 1k cash!!!!! That's without talking other valuable stuff

I was thinking 10$ was kind of low!!

Hope this turns out to be good but limited always attracted more players. To add to this you are splitting the people in the clash bash thingy

I'm really exited about all of this honestly, I really am, and I'm not the one with numbers but let's hope this is sustainable long-term.

I sick at constructed but I'll have to get a deck just for the battle board and stuff
    • The rules link in the article goes to the Clash rules page.

NicoSharp wrote:

Not Bad - It shows a bit more about where you think the prize support should be based on attendance.
      700 plat x 199 = 139300plat = $1,393 USD
      for a clean $1,400 in entry fees - we add 96 packs to the pool.
      It doesn't address the lower end, and may be more of a gamble for players not confident in constructed, but some do prefer it to limited. This mode is 700plat - top 32, or 100% fail, vs. keeping 1200plat in packs(from cards) in sealed for the 1500 plat entry.
      Those attendance numbers seem optimistic. When they do mirrored Constructed and Limited events (such as VIP or the IQs) the Limited ones get higher attendance. So I don't see these hitting the 200 necessary to trigger the scaling prizes. The first one or two may be an exception.

They need ~150 players to break even on the cash payouts (ignoring the other prizes).
    • I created a thread where I post an unoffocial leaderboard for Hex Clash
      Hall of Fame : Hex Clash (Frostheart season)

I will certainly do the same for Hex Bash

But I would be very happy to not have to because official leaderboard exist with some reward at the end of each season...
      ... i dont know... like a entree ticket for the next Cosmic Crown Showdown for example for ezch top 16 players...

You create this way a real competitive road alongside with the more grindy road the ladder is.. just an idea... and you incentive even more player to compet weekly.

Btw this new weekly event will at last create a real cobstructed meta. No the grindy minded we have beczuse of ladder
    • I really want to be happy for this and almost feel bad for saying otherwise, but I'm just not.

I don't get why all of these events are a 6hr+ straight commitment on a weekend for a digital game.

I think more people than not would prefer a delay and create some kind of league/event where you can play 6-8 matches over the course of a week and get prizes based off your final record.

This lets people not be tied to the computer for such a long period, as well as allows more flexibility across time zones.

I hate to keep bringing up Eternal, but doing something like their event mode with cash for the leaderboard would make sense. You can enter as many times as you want for the regular prizes, but your first 3 runs count towards the leaderboard. If the entry allowed for 7 games, and you entered 3x going a combined 19-2 overall and that was the best, you'd get $500 and go down from there. I feel like this alone would be a huge boost to the constructed scene, and solve a lot of problems.
    • Portensio wrote:

I'm always asking myself how you want to make money

7$ tournaments that pay 1k cash!!!!! That's without talking other valuable stuff

I was thinking 10$ was kind of low!!

Hope this turns out to be good but limited always attracted more players. To add to this you are splitting the people in the clash bash thingy

I'm really exited about all of this honestly, I really am, and I'm not the one with numbers but let's hope this is sustainable long-term.

I sick at constructed but I'll have to get a deck just for the battle board and stuff
      Really surprised Hex keeps lowballing so much with their competitive tournaments... I guess they're afraid of scaring people off with the cost.... but...
      Gamer. Streamer. Photographer. Writer. Anime Lover. Possessor of Stuffed Animals.

Also... I'm terrible at this game.
    • Reeplay wrote:

Bad

While this list is shorter all these points are far more important to me than 4 of the 5 points I put in 'good'.
      • It's another longhaul tournament which means it's automatically not viable for people in 1/3 of time zones and for another 1/3 it's only viable if they're happy staying up until 1-3am.
      • This is now hexes only reoccurring support for constructed most of the time. Since there's still 0 reasons to play constructed 6 days a week and to want to be good in constructed you should be prepared to invest many hours into deck tuning this tournament is essentially trying to force players into constructed instead of making them want to play it.
      • It takes the format of the HexClash and makes the exact same mistakes. While it adds scaling prizes it's still a top heavy tournament despite a fairly high entry fee and it isn't until 350+ players that it's attempted to make it less top heavy. For such a big entry fee the prizing just shouldn't start at 70%+ win rate spots. It also continues to rely heavily on the AAA given out as the reward which in PvP Chapter based cycles just can't carry it.
      • (This isn't related to the tournament itself but is related to why i'm disappointed with it) It's hex flat out ignoring the issues of constructed only being playable in free queues when it comes to on demand play. It isn't solving the core issues around it. It is putting a giant sign in front of it and hoping while everyone looks at the sign no one tries to look around the corner. And now this issue being fixed looks even further off.

The reason to play constructed during the other days should be the ladder. The problem arises when the ladder is the only way to play constructed, since it's very low in rewards (you only have one tournament every 2 months and the cash prize is decided in a limited environment). The Bash is an excellent addition in my opinion, regarding of the format. We have now free and paid constructed tournaments independently of the ladder.

All of this, having in mind that Cosmic Coins will eventually be here and will also improve the ladder experience. These are all steps in the right direction. If you want a free and grindy mode to play the game, you have it. If you want a paid quick way to play the game, you have it too. If ladder improves their reward system for cosmic, I think it will be in a good spot for the on-demand play.

Yes, there's always more to be done. The format is problematic to some users (although I suspect that Hex Bash is addressed to people who are willing to invest some hours of one day for a tcg tournament). But that doesn't mean that the Bash don't answer some of the problems we were having on the constructed scene. A lot of players from other card games who likes Hex, stopped to play it after seeing how little it can be done with a constructed deck. This is an specific answer to them, and I'm happy with it, it should bring some new players and old ones too.
      Twitter: @Plotynus

ZonaHex.com - Un sitio en español sobre Hex! / A spanish site about Hex.
    • NicoSharp wrote:

Fun fact: It will take at least 143 players to break even on the cash payouts - not including other prizes, if everyone acquired thier plat with USD $1 = 100 plat. Likely a lot more players, when all other factors are included.
      Allow me to take that fun fact and be the first to be realistic. This is not a winning bet for HexEnt.

The last clash only pulled 126 people. Limited events have always been more popular than constructed because there is less upfront cost (no deck you need to purchase) and assured "prizes" - the cards you open. I seriously doubt the Bash will see regular numbers above 100 players after the first month.
    • Eraia wrote:

Really surprised Hex keeps lowballing so much with their competitive tournaments... I guess they're afraid of scaring people off with the cost.... but...
      the goal is not to directly make money with the entree fee. The goal is to incentive players to buy costy and competitive decks...
      90% of Income will always come from selling cards and packs
    • Gregangel wrote:

Eraia wrote:

the goal is not to directly make money with the entree fee. The goal is to incentive players to buy costy and competitive decks...90% of Income will always come from selling cards and packs
      Don't agree

Mtgo makes a ton out of entry fees alone
    • Portensio wrote:

Gregangel wrote:

Eraia wrote:

the goal is not to directly make money with the entree fee. The goal is to incentive players to buy costy and competitive decks...90% of Income will always come from selling cards and packs
      Don't agree

Mtgo makes a ton out of entry fees alone
      You can't compare player bases. Gregangel is right, if new people (or old ones return) and play the game -and buy cards and stuff-, they can afford a little loss on the weekly constructed tournament.
      Twitter: @Plotynus

ZonaHex.com - Un sitio en español sobre Hex! / A spanish site about Hex.
    • To stamp down the tide of negative nancies I will chime in here.

I am super excited for this announcement!
      Will I play in everyone one, probably not, but more events and more people playing hex will only cause it to grow in both popularity and revenue which will lead to more features and improvements.

Kudos HEX Ent, and I hope that this tournament will lead to a more regular Immortal tournament in the future!
    • Angmar wrote:

NicoSharp wrote:

Fun fact: It will take at least 143 players to break even on the cash payouts - not including other prizes, if everyone acquired thier plat with USD $1 = 100 plat. Likely a lot more players, when all other factors are included.
      Allow me to take that fun fact and be the first to be realistic. This is not a winning bet for HexEnt.
      The last clash only pulled 126 people. Limited events have always been more popular than constructed because there is less upfront cost (no deck you need to purchase) and assured "prizes" - the cards you open. I seriously doubt the Bash will see regular numbers above 100 players after the first month.
      Maybe. IANAL or an Accountant, maybe ping Varranis here, but I believe most cash prizes for games in the US, can also be claimed through taxes as charitable gifts by the company providing them. This is why recipients of prizes often need to record those wins in their taxes, but the catch is it usually does not apply unless the amount is $1,000 or more.

So, what may look like a vanilla $1,000 to us, could be a convenient way to offset taxes, so even 126 players could be profitable. But again, I'm a bit fuzzy on this rationale. I hope it is way more successful than that though. I know people looking forward to it much more than Clash, it just depends on the type of player you are.