DEAR DEVS: We WANT/NEED 2v2 / co-op asap!!!

• DEAR DEVS: We WANT/NEED 2v2 / co-op asap!!!

Hello again!

I'm back again with another thread! This time on a much bigger issue...

A guild mate mentioned earlier that they felt kind of burnt out on hex and it got several of us talking. The first thing I immediately mentioned was how much I DESPERATELY want 2v2 / co-op modes and how good it would be for the game, everyone agreed. Not only do I want it really badly, I also think the game NEEDS it.

So why do I want it and why does the game need it?

Simply put, adding any form of co-op into a game adds interaction. Currently most players are left to their own devices and are off doing their own thing. Even within a large guild, most players do their own thing day to day and occasionally test together and share ideas for upcoming tournaments. Sure we can create our own interaction but at the end of the day we are still playing by ourselves and what we can and can't do together is limited.

We are social creatures and we thrive on interaction. While we may be able to play against other humans, you could replace them with a smart AI and it would be no different for the most part. It's kind of the same feeling I get when I play single player games, I am constantly yearning for interaction with others and cursing at how I wish the game had co-op, imagining what it would be like to explore the virtual words with a friend(s). Now I hardly ever play single player games, the last one being Zelda: BOTW which I was super hyped for but I haven't even finished that or touched it in months (oh god, how much I wish it had co-op ;( ).

I'm sure the devs already know what adding 2v2 / co-op would do for the game and maybe it already is a top priority, even still I'm gonna lay out my thoughts and reasons on why it should be THE priority.

1.) The added interaction that it would instantly bring to the game would be huge, players would no longer be just building decks by themselves. Now you've people bouncing ideas off of each other and coming up with 2 or more decks that can compliment each other, which adds huge amounts of depth/strategy. Thinking of 2v2 tournaments gives me all the boners.

2.) Expanding upon the above point... It would get players using voice chat more (skype for example), which in turn helps players feel more connected. I think most people would agree with me that when they play games online with friends, they love hanging out on skype/discord etc. At the moment there really isn't any need/desire for it when it comes to hex. I'm normally on voice chat with friends but that's not because we are playing hex, even if some or all of us are. For the most part we might just get/give opinions on decks one of us have built in a draft or sealed but beyond that there isn't that much interaction BECAUSE of hex.

Honestly ask yourself this, out of all the games you play online with friends, how many are you on voice chat for? Now ask yourself this, would you still play those games as much or at all if you we're unable to communicate with your friends?

3.) New players and old have more reason/desire to get their friends into the game and more reasons to stick around. As I said above, playing single player games can get lonely as we thrive on interaction. If I put myself into the shoes of a new player that stumbles upon the game I can't help but think they might lose interest rather quickly, especially if they don't know anyone else who plays.

As usual, please post your thoughts and opinions!

Cheers

HAVOC :)

Twitch —— YouTube —— Twitter —— Steam —— Patreon

The post was edited 4 times, last by HAVOC ().

• A 2 vs 2 format would be funny, and in my mind the most easy of those features to implement (which I'm not saying it's easy, but in my mind it's simpler. If you have only one champion per team, you can design some specific champions for that mode and then every player in the team selects a deck from their list, and they use basically the same board).

The problem with raids and co-op in PvE is that with all those 1 or 2 turn kill decks, it won't be fun even if you're in group. Aside from the technical limitations that the devs said they're having.
      Twitter: @Plotynus
    • I have been praying for a co-op mode for a loooong time. In my opinion it is the most needed and most important feature for HEX.

Evidence: All my friends that I introduced HEX to would still play the game if such a mode existed. Current number of players in addition to me between my friends: 0.

Nothing is more important to me personally. I would get my friends back playing actively and I honestly believe that a robust co-op experience within the campaign would finally be the thing that would elevate HEX above every other digital card game out there.
    • AceBladewing wrote:

While I agree multiplayer is something I personally would like, it's best to post for yourself, and not try to represent everyone as a whole.
      I don't necessarily think he spoke for others with his words. Every time he used a plural it was explained as to who he was referring to(usually his guild), except for the few generalizations he made about humanity which are pretty widely accepted (us being social creatures) and the fact that people in the game are left to their own devices, which is largely true.

HAVOC wrote:

I'm sure the devs already know what adding 2v2 / co-op would do for the game and maybe it already is a top priority, even still I'm gonna lay out my thoughts and reasons on why it should be THE priority.
      I've been saying for a long time that the game needs some form of content to promote interaction between players beyond simply competitive. Social interaction keeps games alive a LONG time past when they otherwise might've died. Right now we have a crappy chat, no guild system, and no form of cooperative play. It's a problem...

I think it'd take a TON of dev work so I doubt it's going to happen anytime soon, but I think it's something that would be a fantastic boon to the game.
      Gamer. Streamer. Photographer. Writer. Anime Lover. Possessor of Stuffed Animals.

Also... I'm terrible at this game.
    • +1 to whatever weight this thread has to the devs.

Yes , multipler, give it to us. Dew it.

All those nightmarish cards reading " each opposing champion discards a card/loses 1 life/ dances the makarena ... " I want to use them on as many people as possible.
      Awaiting the Doomwalker's arrival in Entrath since the Beta.

" Honey, where's my chaos key ?
      - Have you searched in your chaos coat ?
      - Shoot I left it in the chaos car... "

... Still be waiting for a while it seems ...
    • The idea of raids sold me on Hex during the KS, but I haven't seen a fun-sounding implementation of it since. The PVE card pool is already so broad and powerful, how are they going to make raid bosses be a challenge? The AI isn't smart enough to outplay a human, so the cards/mechanics just have to be even stronger than the tools we have, and when they did that in FRA2 by targeting archetypes or slowing down our decks with +cost modifiers, people complained that it wasn't fun.
    • Pandaemonium wrote:

Two headed giant is much different than raids. 2hg will bring in a few players, raids will bring in a multitude.

If I was king, I would start focusing more on the mmo aspect of the game because that is what will keep it alive in the long run.
      I see the ability to have 2v2 as a bridge step towards raids. If the tech works for 2v2, it should be able to be expanded upon to enable raids.

But 2v2 means both 2v2 pvp and 2v2 dungeons, both of which would be really beneficial longterm.

Silvanos wrote:

when they did that in FRA2 by targeting archetypes
      The reason it's a problem in FRA2 is that you can only bring a single deck. Which means shutting down strategies just makes certain archetypes worthless. In a co-op setting you have multiple decks - 1 per person - so people can make up for each others' strengths and weaknesses... so if x opponent shuts ME down, my allies can make up for me being weak or even do things like boost my stuff so I'm not as weak.
      Gamer. Streamer. Photographer. Writer. Anime Lover. Possessor of Stuffed Animals.

Also... I'm terrible at this game.
    • Well a raid boss is supposed to be insurmountable by 1 person, they are intended to be defeated by multiple players working together.

So in this sense, I think we should expect what people sometime refer to as "artificial difficulty" in the future raid boss battles. Higher life total, passives, cards in play, etc...

These kind of bosses are intended not to be beatable by one deck, even super tuned, so I would not see a problem seeing them starting with perks and such.
      Awaiting the Doomwalker's arrival in Entrath since the Beta.

" Honey, where's my chaos key ?
      - Have you searched in your chaos coat ?
      - Shoot I left it in the chaos car... "

... Still be waiting for a while it seems ...