DEAR DEVS: We WANT/NEED 2v2 / co-op asap!!!

• Goliathus wrote:

And we actually already have a format that sees no play(immortal) within the current scope of...3-4 formats. Extending the formats a bit more to 8-10 and 2 don't get a lot of play seems fine to me.
      That would cause the 2 that won't get a lot of play to each have even less play than before, probably to the point where they cannot even be played. It's also very possible that the remaining formats that *do* see play could be spread out to have as much activity as immortal did before that new system.
    • AceBladewing wrote:

Goliathus wrote:

And we actually already have a format that sees no play(immortal) within the current scope of...3-4 formats. Extending the formats a bit more to 8-10 and 2 don't get a lot of play seems fine to me.
      That would cause the 2 that won't get a lot of play to each have even less play than before, probably to the point where they cannot even be played. It's also very possible that the remaining formats that *do* see play could be spread out to have as much activity as immortal did before that new system.
      I think that depends on a lot of factors, like how much players they pull in from having those formats and how much increased playtime do those formats provide to the current players. As I have said somewhere else(or this thread? I forgot), people play more or less depends on the time of the season, price of the card and what not.

As I have mentioned many times, "we don't have enough players" is a fallacy, because with the same amount of players, we see ladder activity varies in a season. Say the amount they play at the beginning of a season is 100%, the middle of the season is maybe 50% in the current climate. That 50% of time "they can play but they choose not to play Hex" might be spent in Hex on the new formats if we have them. Instead, in today's climate, the players choose to play something else for that 50% of time. Keeping the format right as it is right now will do absolute zero help to change the player's mind on that 50% of their gaming time.

That means those players are there but they choose to not play. Having more formats or whatever will not affect the formats they have already chosen to not play by now. So, the two that won't get a lot of play will not have increased activity just by having less formats or they would have less activity by adding formats. If 980 out of 1000 players simply don't give a crap about a specific format, it will stay what it is right now. No format boost or decrease will affect the 980's decision to play the format at all.

If you want real example, let's look at League of Legends then. LoL has the go-to format in Summoner's Rift 5v5 and not-so-popular Twisted Treeline to begin with. Then, they invented a casual format known as the Dominion. It is a popular format at first but the interest eventually dwindle to the point that they retired the format. Yes, not even with millions of players do they can keep a format alive. So, Riot ditched the format but continued to develop other format. They later hit jackpot with the AllRandom format, which has become a mainstay in their game mode and also an evergrowing rotation special game mode. If they have insist on not adding more formats and hoping that would make more players play Dominion, they would not have the growth of casual game modes today. Also, ARAM actually started by players going into Summoner's Rift and agree to all go mid. Riot is smart enough to then specifically build a game mode and a brand new map to service the players. Who knew actually making the players' dream come true can be so good for a game? That is point 1, and the main point. Point 2, I see no sign of ARAM and the rotation game mode affecting other modes too much. They all have their own dedicated player base and then you have the type of players that play every format. For the type of players that play every format, sure, their playtime will be spread around all format but I think the more important point would be to keep them playing Hex. Who care what format they play? If Hex sees a boost in total play time per month, then it's good. A boost in total play time can never be bad, I fail to come up with one single reason why it would.

So, the added format would simply increase activity across the board, the same as having better PvE would increase playtime for PvE players who would have not played PvP regardless.

Edit: Also, rotating format is one I have mentioned before even before Cory said so in the 150th episode of General's Tent. Use that to gauge interest then if they don't want to put too many formats at once. I have played HS and LoL to know each rotating game mode has different popularity and it is very easy to gauge them. Like I can gauge them myself just by looking at the queue time, certainly Hex Ent with all the data can make a concise decision as to which format to put out permanently and so on.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Goliathus ().

• Goliathus wrote:

Why would you compare the most fringe format there is (why play Immortal if you don't have VK, Extinction, TM, Walking Calamities etc) with suggested formats with lower entry barrier, economically, than even Standard?
    • Vroengard wrote:

Why would you compare the most fringe format there is (why play Immortal if you don't have VK, Extinction, TM, Walking Calamities etc) with suggested formats with lower entry barrier, economically, than even Standard?
      You do have a point with the format being fringe. I wasn't thinking that deep when I made the post. I don't think your reason is justified though. I did a check on the immortal championship's decks to see what's inside them and most of them are consist of mainly the newer cards with some older cards that further enhance their strategy and these older decks don't have to be the expensive powerhouse like VK or Extinction. The sheer amount of gems also allow for many different deck ideas, even with just standard cards.
    • I come from MODO. We have a dormant clan that died when WotC removed 2HG/3HG Shared life of 20 each. Our clan would turn up to the game knowing what was in the team mates decks. The opponents would bring decks built to destroy our resources. We played games like this for 10 years all on Ventrilo then Mumble, then a years of TS3. Now I have DISCORD all setup ready to go with no one around. Seriously if I could meet up daily with 2 or 3 clan mates with a strategy of choosing cards for our decks, yeah its a conspiracy. We love it. 60 life goes to 1 and you think next turn we are dead if.... but no they don't have waht it takes to kill us and we live!

"Chancellor of the Dross" was a huge reason WotC got trid of 2HG/3HG as we all have 4x Dross in our decks. 1 in our hands at the opening. The more you start with the more life opponents lose and you gain.

Heres the thing. The cards we used, no one wanted. We got them cheap.

These MP formats sell cards.

Also 5 player. "PENTACLE" or "5MOONS" One player representing each colour.

Players on your L&R are you allies. The two ajacent players are you enemies. If "anyone" elimintes your enemies you win!.

We would organize the games on Ventrilo and if someone wanted a colour that was taken they would go make a new game. Exponentially 5FFAs would spring up 3 or 4 at a time.

To sit back and think about these formats as to whether people would want to play them is pure guess work. I can get 100+ players into this game NOW! All you need is the formats to attract them

I just sent out 2 links to this thread and minds are reeling.

"5MOONS" is a format where you find out your colour and CMS. Then go make a deck from cards in that Colour and CMC.
      RED 5 was a favourite of mine which had "KIKI JIKI" Legenday Goblin. Holy crap that was fun. Slow for a bit to get to 5 mana but everyone starts at 0 cards in hand "Mulling to 0" Artifacts being Colourless was an issue for a long time but we trusted players to not bring too may. If someone brought "UNFAIR" White would bring Story Circle aand shut them down. Very Political it was.

Color Pie was a format as well.

We even have a clan at the start whej I left CK. Met up with others that ended up joining the enemy years later. So argument would break out on Vent! FUNNN!!!
    • If there is only going to be One versus One in Hex, I will not hang around. Back to spce sims for me. I have got 3 friends talking to a few friends each and the main questions coming back are "Is the Two Headed Giant" and is there support for Cclans/orgs/guilds. Star Citizen in the Space Sim MMO genre has really good dialog and 'history/manefesto/charte' sectyiions wjhere ranks and roles can be assigned. We are all on DISCORD right now arguing stuff that we do not even know if the DEVS are even thibnking in these directions.

You want 1000+ Clannys to jump in here and play? Then give us something. I read this thread and see a lot of 1v1 players who don't want their world disturbed.

We like strategy. We want to let our cards/Decks do the talking. Deckbuilders who play. That is us. We like to show off our Ideas. My friend who died taught a lot of us and also played side by side with us in games, and against us sometimes, that hurt, but we made the tools and tried to get something no one had made before. Then the Power 9 arrived and they replaced Classic with Vintage. From nothing banned to a huge restricted list. the card back had the colour wheel Black, Red, Green, White, Blue. or reverse.

This game is the same, i think. I mean this Angel saved my life. Opponent was on 30 me 1. I kept playing what I needed to removed the threats. Nothing on the board to deal damage. My Angel says I gain life according to the casting cost of the card I draw, great 5 life. next draw 5 more. upto 16 liefe I attack with flyers but not the life giving angel. The I draw a card that boosts all my troops and wham I win!

Love that stuff. Put in the work, get the right draws . Most times in Magic I never drew what I needed. Same with that most unfair and ridiculous thing call Hearthstone, I quit because I earded a card back in the Rank chest and it did not arrive. I told them about it. Nothing. They do not have an eMail address for me to write to . Well I waitied and Tavern Brawl was that rubbish where they provide the decks. No deckbuilding. I left and didn't go back.

1v1? no thanks. Like twiddling my thumbs. I can go fly in Arena commander with those.

Hope the Devs put some good styuff in the game. I love the art. I like Blood. Rangers. PLAY TO WIN NOT $$PAY$$ TO WIN! That is what killed MODO. That and no 2HG/3HG, no 5FFAs, No 6FFAs, just 1v1, 3FFA, 4FFA. that's it dead!. Leagues? who cares. Good for collections if you play all year round. Competion/Tournement 2HG, now that's what I call fun!