DEAR DEVS: We WANT/NEED 2v2 / co-op asap!!!

• CoSVII wrote:

Ultimately, they made promises based on development that went nowhere (not their fault) and had to be rebuilt from the ground up. The major selling point for many KS backers was the idea of a TCG MMO. Obviously they marketed this as multiplayer (3-man raids) and people relied on that. We are in year 4 and still no Raids (or multiplayer outside of 1v1). Some pesants have grown restless ... others have just left.
      Based on my anecdotal sample, the vast majority have just left or have never engaged with the game in the first place, waiting for them to put Raids/MP/keeps/whatever in. I would've sold my account already if I didn't get hooked on playing Limited and was still just waiting on the promised PVE features.
    • Sign me up as another person who has mildly dabbled in HEX but hasn't committed to seriously playing it solely because of the lack of co-op/Raid content. I have several friends who have done the same thing.

So, until the game gets one of those features, I'll continue to merely lurk on the forums and Reddit, scouring posts to see if there's been any announcements of such content.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Fiedras ().

• Transience wrote:

This should probably be very last on the list of priorities for HEX. I don't believe it's going to attract a significant amount of new players.
      I think it will. As much as we here have community interaction via the forums, Hex, at its core, is still 100% a single player game. Your interaction with other players is highly limited.

Having 2v2 or even bigger brawls can make it possible for people to play together in a much more close-knit fashion, encouraging community building. For example, take the idea of introducing newbies into the game. I love explaining different mechanics and the characteristics of decks, races, traits, etc.. I enjoy handing them a few core and engine cards to get some decks going and hear their reaction.

It would be way more entertaining to help a newbie through a 2v2 dungeon and showcase a deck live, with them playing right beside you.

Aside from that, there is of course the additional value in gameplay. Hearing mention of a two-headed giant just now made me think of a fight where, at the start of the turn, if one of the heads is dead, the other revives it. Mechanisms like that could be impactful for the level of variety in the game.

Also, in terms of guild raids, the ideas I have in mind would benefit greatly from 2v2.
    • I don't think your assessment is correct. I am aware that a lot of people who are already playing would like multiplayer. I don't think that it is what would attract new players though, at least not in a significant amount. Other missing features would certainly be a better pull, like casual formats and mobile play.

I understand you'd think it would be entertaining to help a newbie through a 2v2 dungeon and showcase a deck live but I don't think the average newbie will want that because it would be very intimidating.

So whereas Multiplayer could eventually be a great addition to HEX, I don't think it should have focus before other things are implemented.
      "Ignorant beliefs are stains upon the mind."
    • Transience wrote:

I don't think your assessment is correct. I am aware that a lot of people who are already playing would like multiplayer. I don't think that it is what would attract new players though, at least not in a significant amount. Other missing features would certainly be a better pull, like casual formats and mobile play.
      Well, this old argument will reach its conclusion soon. PS4 confirmed no PvE. Let's see 1) how many people pick up a PvP-only card game on console, 2) how many people stay after finding out about the no PvP bit and 3) how much the people who stayed spend.
    • Vroengard wrote:

Transience wrote:

I don't think your assessment is correct. I am aware that a lot of people who are already playing would like multiplayer. I don't think that it is what would attract new players though, at least not in a significant amount. Other missing features would certainly be a better pull, like casual formats and mobile play.
      Well, this old argument will reach its conclusion soon. PS4 confirmed no PvE. Let's see 1) how many people pick up a PvP-only card game on console, 2) how many people stay after finding out about the no PvP bit and 3) how much the people who stayed spend.
      I fail to see what you mean? The PS4 version has neither casual formats nor multiplayer and it's also not mobile.
    • Transience wrote:

Mobile maybe. The mobile game market is MOSTLY free to play, and the average mobile player spends extremely little on games... so Hex might not attract many new players in a mobile market... whereas mobile play would provide a great new way for already existing players to play.

Casual formats don't attract new players. Casual formats give existing players a means to use their collections in new ways. That's why they're such a big deal on these forums. We have a lot of people with big collections who want to be able to use more than 1% of those collections to play.

New markets and better onboarding will get people into the game. Means to play without having a lot of cards will get new players. Which is why I see the PS4 as a great stepping stone. Dueling pit, a new market, etc.

I think if PvE were a better showcase of what Hex had to offer, it'd attract new people too... but it's not, at least not early on. So that's not worth getting into.
      Gamer. Streamer. Photographer. Writer. Anime Lover. Possessor of Stuffed Animals.

Also... I'm terrible at this game.
    • Not sure how "casual formats don't attract new players" came to be. If I have a USD 20 monthly budget to spend on Hex, I'd prefer a casual format. You can be competitive (casual formats are competitive) with less.

Question: When people say "mobile" mean "with mobility" (ie tablets), right? Not "mobile" as in "smartphones".

Because I fail to see how the game as is (no limit to the board) can come out on smartphones.
    • Transience wrote:

I understand you'd think it would be entertaining to help a newbie through a 2v2 dungeon and showcase a deck live but I don't think the average newbie will want that because it would be very intimidating.

So whereas Multiplayer could eventually be a great addition to HEX, I don't think it should have focus before other things are implemented.

Transience wrote:

Eraia wrote:

Casual formats don't attract new players.
      Whut?
      Have you heard of MtG? If so, have you ever taken a look at the popularity of Pauper & EDH?
      Literally you backtracked. EDH is a MULTIPLAYER format which a large portion of casual players, which by far outnumber the competitive players in MTG, play. How can you literally say multiplayer formats wouldn't attract a significant amount with seriousness after your latest post?

With that said, if you are referring to the time that HEX has been without it and it has a chance to add a nil amount of people because people moved on and invested in another physical TCG/CCG or went back to MTG and EDH (I know quite a few people that picked up EDH in the last 2 years over playing HEX) I could agree that HEX has indeed past a potential growth stage.
    • Transience wrote:

Have you heard of MtG? If so, have you ever taken a look at the popularity of Pauper & EDH?
      Which is exactly what I said. They were popular among the existing large playerbase.

Pauper and EDH were both new ways to play that came out after the game already had an established population and were extremely popular because they gave the PLAYERS WHO WERE GETTING TIRED OF THE GAME a new way to play. Basically the helped give cards that were rotting in peoples' collections new life. That's great, but that's not 'new players' it's 'revitalizing the game for existing players'.

Any new players they brought in were brought in because of the ease of people giving their friends a silly deck to play with to see how fun it was, predominately in multiplayer.

People who had never played MTG and didn't have friends who played MTG didn't see the game and be like 'wow I want a game mode where I can play with only one of each card and a commander that dictates deck restrictions - holy crap, they have that? I'm sold!'... they saw the game, started playing probably because of a friend introducing them to the game, then eventually saw EDH and played it.
      Gamer. Streamer. Photographer. Writer. Anime Lover. Possessor of Stuffed Animals.

Also... I'm terrible at this game.
    • Eraia wrote:

People who had never played MTG and didn't have friends who played MTG didn't see the game and be like 'wow I want a game mode where I can play with only one of each card and a commander that dictates deck restrictions - holy crap, they have that? I'm sold!'... they saw the game, started playing probably because of a friend introducing them to the game, then eventually saw EDH and played it.
      I think there is a lot more people that see EDH and go wow, I'm sold than you are giving credit for. I help run a shop and many new players only play commander, why? Because that is what their friends got into. EDH actually has the appeal of 1 card of each type so you never have to buy 2 of the same card. A lot of people enjoy that aspect, over the need for 4 of each card.
    • Swigmonkey wrote:

Transience wrote:

Transience wrote:

Eraia wrote:

Casual formats don't attract new players.
      Whut?Have you heard of MtG? If so, have you ever taken a look at the popularity of Pauper & EDH?
      Literally you backtracked. EDH is a MULTIPLAYER format which a large portion of casual players, which by far outnumber the competitive players in MTG, play. How can you literally say multiplayer formats wouldn't attract a significant amount with seriousness after your latest post?
      With that said, if you are referring to the time that HEX has been without it and it has a chance to add a nil amount of people because people moved on and invested in another physical TCG/CCG or went back to MTG and EDH (I know quite a few people that picked up EDH in the last 2 years over playing HEX) I could agree that HEX has indeed past a potential growth stage.
      EDH isn't multiplayer.
    • Transience wrote:

Eraia wrote:

Transience wrote:

Which is exactly what I said. They were popular among the existing large playerbase.
      And the lack of these formats in HEX is what keeping some of them out.
      Dont think pauper etc are bad idea but its not the right time for it.
      With the current limit on the ammount of players atm you would just divide people more over different tournaments. making the waiting time for each tournament longer