Hoghart the elite master

• Hoghart the elite master

Personally Hoghart the alite master is ruining hex FRA completely.
      I can get to him but wiyth his insane increased cost ability, creatures that increase cost even more etc it just feels like an extremely cheap way to make a deck pretty much unbeatable.
      Isnt it time you nerf him
    • He can appear in earlier tiers and he isn't always the last on a perfect run.
      I've met and beat him both regular and elite.

There is a bit of luck in beating him. I've used both a Mindsnatch Raven deck (pulled out his Frostmares and/or enchantment that steals a troop) as well as a Terrormill deck where you can mill those cards away. It's definitely a challenge and takes a bit of luck, both in your draw as well as what he starts with in-hand.
    • He's only elite as the last encounter I believe, but no he isn't always the last boss for a perfect run. Elite Princess Cory can get pretty crazy too.

Hogarth Elite, is probably the hardest encounter in the arena in general though. Normal mode is a pain, but elite is at a whole different level, both are beatable, you will most likely need to mulligan for the right hand though. What that hand is varies by deck, but a normal, "it's a bit slow, but looks solid" hand is NOT a keeper.

Edited to add, I'm specifically saying that most decks that can consistently reach the end of arena, probably stand a fair chance of pulling out the win with the right opening hand. Playing your I never play a card before turn 5 goof off deck that somehow lucked it's way to the end of tier 4 is going to get stomped.
    • Luck is definitely needed. There was once I had a good hand, but ran into Frostmare (+5 cost) on T6/7 and I could not play my Spiraling End in time. I did win the other time when I got the spiders out early enough.
      "Winning with terrormill is not fun? Try losing with it"
    • I have had him last 2 times as the final boss (wasnt a perfect run both times). He starts with a 1/1 rage 1 creature whyle all non resource cards in your hand have cost +2.
      so you can play your first 1 cost card on turn 3 whyle he has been damaging you and he probably played even more of them.
      So being forced to wait 3 turns for a 1 cost creature/ability whyle he keep summoning and hitting you is completely unfair especially since on turn 4 he often plays a creature that increases the cost of some cards in your hand even more.
    • Mejis wrote:

Yeah I've only had elite once and it was insane. I don't even understand how anything but luck +shsrdscrew for him can win you that.
      That's in my n=1 experience :p
      Best way I know of is running spectral acorns with the chest equip in all of your decks.... which is beyond obnoxious and bad design.

Agreed with everyone else - even though it is possible, its incredibly unfun and needs a change.
    • If he only made your starting hand +2 instead of all cards always, that would be a lot more fair. A permanent debuff is just ridiculous considering all those rage shardlings he drops. If it's just your starting hand that gets hurt, but anything you draw after that is normal, that would give you a little more power to play the game properly, instead of having to sit on your hands until a minimum of turn 3 before you even start playing the match. The current version is bad design, plain and simple.
      --ossuary

"Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none."
      - Shakespeare, All's Well That Ends Well
    • You pretty much need Spirit of Retribution + the equipment to ensure you get a free blocker. In fact I would say Spirit is needed to counter many of the aggressive starts from Elites (Periwinkle dropping a t1 or t2 Voice of the Ashwood with speed jumps to mind).

The good thing with Hoggarth is that if you can take care of the Rage troop he doesn't play that much out on the first few turns (although he does play Weave Into Nothing so its annoying when you play your 1-drop on turn 3 and it gets countered) so the pressure doesn't ramp up too much if you can Spirit of Retribution the 1/1 rage creature and buffer your life a bit.

I haven't fully bricked out against him using Terrormill since putting Spirits in the deck (the odd loss here or there when I can't mulligan into a Spirit), but yeah hes completely over-tuned and is honestly the type of encounter that will turn players away from PvE for being too oppressive.
    • Yeah and the problem with depending on a card that's free to play with no threshold requirements is there is 0% chance it doesn't get nerfed into uselessness within the next month. I'm amazed it lasted this long, considering how CZE crushed every other card that does anything even remotely like this. It's not a solution to the problem of bad design, it's a nerf waiting to happen so the bad design can continue to be held up for awhile until someone comes up with a better way to get around all those broken encounters.
      --ossuary

• While it is "free to play", it does require dedication of 2 equipment slots to make it worth playing, which may mean that it doesn't get the nerf bat swung at it. And while the foot slot isn't in too much contention, the head slot to give it +2 attack is a slot that many other desirable cards use.
    • Kmann wrote:

While it is "free to play", it does require dedication of 2 equipment slots to make it worth playing, which may mean that it doesn't get the nerf bat swung at it. And while the foot slot isn't in too much contention, the head slot to give it +2 attack is a slot that many other desirable cards use.
      And you needed a minimum of 2 equipment slots and 2 sets of cards to do anything relevant with the dream deck, they still nerfed the fuck out of that. What exactly was your point again?
      --ossuary

• He appears too frequently it seems. If I don't see him in Tier 2 or 3, Tier 4 has always been him. Good thing they decided to reduce his starting ice shardlings down from 2 to 1- probably noticed every game either being break multiple acorns turn 1 or flat out lose before you can even do anything.

If you're playing Terrormill and you hit double acorns + Phenteo the Brood Master he's pretty much hosed.
    • I have fought hogarth elite 5 times now and four out of the five i lost two or three times in a row using terrormill while every single other character in the arena I play against is almost no challenge (i don't break my acorns since I don't want to keep buying new ones). If he goes first, you will most likely be dead by the time you can play your first 2-cost card. So, unless you have a 0-drop or a 1-drop that instantly kills one or two troops or somehow turns the tide (or you use up your acorns), the game is over before you ever do anything. Yes, in my opinion hogarth elite is absolutely no fun at all to play against and I would prefer that he be changed to something that is somewhat enjoyable to play against. I understand he is the master of the arena, but can't we at least make playing him not feel like an auto-concede?
      Geologist and Rockhound