Pinned [CLOSED] Campaign Adventurer's Guide | Decklist repository | Champions | Mercenaries | Ships

    • NicoSharp wrote:

      Coach - I really like the Thonia content - I was able to watch both videos. I think you could do a bit more tweaking to the list, 1) to make it more budget friendly, yet explosive, and 2) to fix the playables slightly.

      My suggestions for 1) +4 Mindwrack (as Gray mentioned above) - 4 Bride
      My suggestions for 2) -2 Blood Shard, +2 Spectral Acorn; -4 Blood Favor, +4 Arachnophobia or +4 Crackling Torment with Feet equipment(making it 2 cost and you can choose the card from their hand) - Strangle doesn't really seem like the perfect fit either, but in terms of farming dungeons, I can see why you prefer to prioritize the heavy removal options with Bride.

      What you are doing is very commendable and ambitious. Thank you. I know how time consuming it can be to update and create content like this!
      I experimented a lot with Thonia and my conclusions were that her main appeal is to activate her champion power to ramp early and later to draw more cards. Making your opponent discard to achieve these effects at the appropriate time is unreliable at best. For this reason I went away from having dedicated discard in the deck. Also, most PVE encounters have lots of troops to discard and won't discard shards early (as they should), so it is very rare for them to discard a shard or an action with her first two/three activation.

      When I was playing lots of discard actions in the list, I also had the problem that I wasn't actively doing something meaningful to get closer to the win. You really want your "discard" effects to be free of cost while you use your resources to put down threats or deal with their blockers. Bride and Jack were the best threats I could find that also happened to have an incidental discard component to them (to maximize the value of her passives and sometimes get "lucky").

      If you want to replace Bride, go with the most powerful, single blood threshold, aggressive 3 drop you can find. Undreworld crusader would be awesome but getting to his deck requirements while having 20 actions + enough shards to ramp reliably is real though.

      I would advise not to replace shards with acorns for this list either since you'll be discarding half the shards you draw, and 9/10, you'll be playing your acorn hoping to draw one more shard to activate her ramp effect again.

      At least, this is where I ended up in my testings regarding the cards suggested. I'm sure there are other very strong archetypes to build with her thought. To me, she has the most powerful package we've seen in a mercenary so far. I could easily see a very aggressive list that plays mainly 1 and 2 cost aggressive/speed troops that would just dump its hand on the first 2 turns.

      Regarding the video itself, its also important to note that this was only a pilot to test the waters and get a feel of what could be the final video structure. Once I'm set on the format of the series, I'll be recreating the Thonia's Bride deck review from scratch. May even recreate the dungeon play through as well. (this is why the videos are "unlisted" on YouTube for now)
      @Twitch - @Twitter - @Youtube

      "A Gall's fortune is sometimes good and sometimes bad, but always true."
    • That is true - I thought the biggest downside of acorn was in combination with cerebral jack-hat, but I would treat it as thinning for an already heavy 27 shard deck (granted 4 of those are coins for free cycle anyways)

      For Blood's Favor over Crackling Torment - Well, I think that swap is a no-brainer, but I am basing that off your video and how often it was a dead card in hand for actual consideration casting it. Torment makes use of an additional equipment slot, and will ramp your charges, so you more easily hit a turn 4 charge power, if you need to. But you are very good at tweaking, and I do not question your final lists power (still need 2x bride's to fully test)

      I was also surprised by Thonia's powerlevel, but gave kudos to whoever at HXE designed her. Really like the feel.
    • First time i saw the deck my thought were a lot like your Nico, but after i tryed it (ok without bride) it feel like it don't need acorn and favor work a lot better than crackling torment because it will never be a dead card.

      It's obvius that Bride >>> Mindwrack, but i think that's the better substitute (i also tryed vampire princess and giant fly, but Mindwrack play better)


      Necropolis Coins is so strong with Thonia that i'm thinking to play also Shard Prism
    • Shard Prism is only a net loss of 1 resource, but you also get the threshold that combos with Bride, and Kog Thepal's... Could be worth it?

      I've also been on the side looking at a list Caernach(Cornerstone) made for Thonia, running cards like Crowd Roars / Other coins / Rotten Rancor. A lot of interesting things can be done with this Mercenary.
    • Just finished reviewing all the lists. Only two (for Count Davian) were using Ethereal Healers with Boots without having access to Diamond thresholds. I flagged both. If their creator ever submits an update, I'll change their status.

      I also added all new submissions to the guide, we're now at 107 lists total! And it is just the beginning! Before too long, we'll have to find a way to manage growth.

      Also, if you missed it, there are currently two very good PVE contests running on the forums right now.

      The first one is a Bounty just added by @Kami for Coyotle builds to be added to the guide. There is 1400 platinum to be won per Coyotle classes!

      The second one is Team Clockwork with their 500th article celebration for their very own PVE Compendium! Tons of prizes to be won and a great resource for adventurers!

      Now that the more pressing update has been done, I'll be spending my time on the new video content. Expect the first few videos to come out very soon!
      @Twitch - @Twitter - @Youtube

      "A Gall's fortune is sometimes good and sometimes bad, but always true."
    • CoachFliperon wrote:

      Just finished reviewing all the lists. Only two (for Count Davian) were using Ethereal Healers with Boots without having access to Diamond thresholds. I flagged both. If their creator ever submits an update, I'll change their status.

      I also added all new submissions to the guide, we're now at 107 lists total! And it is just the beginning! Before too long, we'll have to find a way to manage growth.

      Also, if you missed it, there are currently two very good PVE contests running on the forums right now.

      The first one is a Bounty just added by @Kami for Coyotle builds to be added to the guide. There is 1400 platinum to be won per Coyotle classes!

      The second one is Team Clockwork with their 500th article celebration for their very own PVE Compendium! Tons of prizes to be won and a great resource for adventurers!

      Now that the more pressing update has been done, I'll be spending my time on the new video content. Expect the first few videos to come out very soon!
      I just watched your Thonia deck video (didn't know it was out there until you updated page one), and if your deck qualifies as farming, then mine do as well. The Thonia of the Black Crucible deck in particular is as fast or faster than your deck, capable of turn two and three kills thanks to Crazed Rummaging allowing a early Hand of the Black Crucible which is gg
    • KozHex wrote:

      I just watched your Thonia deck video (didn't know it was out there until you updated page one), and if your deck qualifies as farming, then mine do as well. The Thonia of the Black Crucible deck in particular is as fast or faster than your deck, capable of turn two and three kills thanks to Crazed Rummaging allowing a early Hand of the Black Crucible which is gg

      I'm trying yur deck, but it's not as fast and reliable as CoachFliperon one. It can be fast but it have to much cards that do nothing in most situation (extinction, crackling torment, arachnofobia) and miss some great cards like cerebral jack-het. I lost some game because crazed rummaging made me draw the wole deck.

      It has a lto of potential, i will tinker it a bit.

      The post was edited 1 time, last by Graydeath ().

    • I took a look at KozHex's and CaptainFliperon's Thonia decks and tried mashing them together - specifically, going Blood/Ruby with Stingy Jack. Then I made a few tweaks of my own, and I'm really impressed with the results.

      Something I found that Thonia plays very well with is Entrath Settlers. I was disappointed by Feste being the prior best option, but Thonia just eviscerates him. An at-will discard outlet and loads of extra cards play great with Thonia, and if I can get one out turn 1 I've got a good shot of winning turn 2. I removed all double-blood thresholds simply because they're too slow.

      Pretty much, the win condition is spamming out Stingy Jack Harvest Tricks. Hand of the Black Crucible is there as backup, but he's not nearly as useful.

      In the earlier versions of this deck, I was having a lot of problems with decking myself out. Be very careful playing Crazed Rummaging when multiple Stingy Jacks have been played; it's very easy to kill yourself off like that.

      Pucid's Whispers isn't great, but it's too much fun to steal their hand and discard it all to feed the Settlers. If you've got multiple or are about to win, discarding them gets you two more cards anyway.

      Actually, I think I'll see if I can revamp this to include some direct damage spells. Since decking yourself out is a very real problem, Burn to the Grounds, Burns or Life Siphons may very well be able to get that extra chunk of damage you need without risking more card draw.
    • Graydeath wrote:

      KozHex wrote:

      I just watched your Thonia deck video (didn't know it was out there until you updated page one), and if your deck qualifies as farming, then mine do as well. The Thonia of the Black Crucible deck in particular is as fast or faster than your deck, capable of turn two and three kills thanks to Crazed Rummaging allowing a early Hand of the Black Crucible which is gg
      I'm trying yur deck, but it's not as fast and reliable as CoachFliperon one. It can be fast but it have to much cards that do nothing in most situation (extinction, crackling torment, arachnofobia) and miss some great cards like cerebral jack-het. I lost some game because crazed rummaging made me draw the wole deck.

      It has a lto of potential, i will tinker it a bit.
      Yeah, I decked myself once too, before I learned when to play what. You just have to be careful and think about your hand size and how many you will end your turn with. Crazed Rummaging is the bomb though, you just can't play it willy nilly. Optimal time is second turn when you have the Black Crucible in hand because you'll probably have enough resources to play it that turn and it can be gg right there.
    • KozHex wrote:

      Graydeath wrote:

      KozHex wrote:

      I just watched your Thonia deck video (didn't know it was out there until you updated page one), and if your deck qualifies as farming, then mine do as well. The Thonia of the Black Crucible deck in particular is as fast or faster than your deck, capable of turn two and three kills thanks to Crazed Rummaging allowing a early Hand of the Black Crucible which is gg
      I'm trying yur deck, but it's not as fast and reliable as CoachFliperon one. It can be fast but it have to much cards that do nothing in most situation (extinction, crackling torment, arachnofobia) and miss some great cards like cerebral jack-het. I lost some game because crazed rummaging made me draw the wole deck.
      It has a lto of potential, i will tinker it a bit.
      Yeah, I decked myself once too, before I learned when to play what. You just have to be careful and think about your hand size and how many you will end your turn with. Crazed Rummaging is the bomb though, you just can't play it willy nilly. Optimal time is second turn when you have the Black Crucible in hand because you'll probably have enough resources to play it that turn and it can be gg right there.
      I loved the idea, and I played a bit with Rummaging and Crucible with Thonia before but never found a shell that was consistent enough for what I wanted to do. However, now that we have a few strong lists for "baseline", I also feel like the best Thonia build will somewhat integrate things from each lists. I still think Brides and Jacks are the best threats. Even if Cryptcurse Knight does a good job of wrapping up games quickly, I wonder if I could just replace them with crucible and find room for a few rummaging... To be continued!

      Testing a bit with this for now: puu.sh/uZINX/a077264896.jpg
      @Twitch - @Twitter - @Youtube

      "A Gall's fortune is sometimes good and sometimes bad, but always true."

      The post was edited 1 time, last by CoachFliperon ().

    • Blackwood wrote:

      Worth noting with all this Thonia discussion, one of my favorite things about running Necropolis Coins is that the health loss from cycling them (which Thonia can do for free) avoids Shell--so you can conceivably turn one with a good draw eliminate lobsterfolk without fuss.
      Same thing for Jack's Tricks! I was able to kill Captain Chumpskipe with them on turn 4!
      @Twitch - @Twitter - @Youtube

      "A Gall's fortune is sometimes good and sometimes bad, but always true."
    • After some questing and a few dungeon runs here are my thoughts on this implementation:

      • It is now leaning a lot more towards the combo deck than the aggressive list I had with mono blood, but I think it is a good thing overall.
      • I don't see any of these lists running below 26 shards, might actually want 27
      • R.O.I.D. slot is a test, wanted to see how many times it becomes relevant and over 3 dungeon runs it did twice. But it wasn't relevant 5 times. Since we are running Crucible, I wonder if this couldn't just be the most expensive action we can find and just use it as a direct damage fodder to wrap up games. Something like Comet Strike or Twin Eternities could be doable, even more so when we can get up to very high amount of resources when we "combo off". Could just be a few Lazgar's Vengeance but I don't think this is the kind of list you want double threshold on anything. Triple threshold is just forbidden here. Maybe just Roar to draw even more card and have some more discard at end of turn.... T.B.C.
      • Bride is still awesome, we're obviously not using her for her 5B power but her making them discard and acting as removal at the same time is too strong to pass.
      • The ruby draw and ramp package is just perfect. I strongly believe the best Thonia build will be blood/ruby at this point.

      Turn wins of the last two GMG runs I did with the list (note that I've been running in sub-optimal situation, with a Human Ranger 15, we'll have one merc passive to play with as well!):
      • 3-4-3-3-4-4
      • 3-3-3-5-3-3

      We're getting there!
      @Twitch - @Twitter - @Youtube

      "A Gall's fortune is sometimes good and sometimes bad, but always true."
    • CoachFliperon wrote:

      After some questing and a few dungeon runs here are my thoughts on this implementation:

      • It is now leaning a lot more towards the combo deck than the aggressive list I had with mono blood, but I think it is a good thing overall.
      • I don't see any of these lists running below 26 shards, might actually want 27
      • R.O.I.D. slot is a test, wanted to see how many times it becomes relevant and over 3 dungeon runs it did twice. But it wasn't relevant 5 times. Since we are running Crucible, I wonder if this couldn't just be the most expensive action we can find and just use it as a direct damage fodder to wrap up games. Something like Comet Strike or Twin Eternities could be doable, even more so when we can get up to very high amount of resources when we "combo off". Could just be a few Lazgar's Vengeance but I don't think this is the kind of list you want double threshold on anything. Triple threshold is just forbidden here. Maybe just Roar to draw even more card and have some more discard at end of turn.... T.B.C.
      • Bride is still awesome, we're obviously not using her for her 5B power but her making them discard and acting as removal at the same time is too strong to pass.
      • The ruby draw and ramp package is just perfect. I strongly believe the best Thonia build will be blood/ruby at this point.

      Turn wins of the last two GMG runs I did with the list (note that I've been running in sub-optimal situation, with a Human Ranger 15, we'll have one merc passive to play with as well!):
      • 3-4-3-3-4-4
      • 3-3-3-5-3-3

      We're getting there!
      For some reason I can't pull up your deck image so I can't see what changes you made. I'm not sure if it's my phone, or the link.

      I made some changes to the deck last night and it was running really well. I put in the Cerebral Jack Hat, that was left out originally because I just totally blanked on the fact that you get to discard with the equipment on. That's a great addition to the deck.

      I also took out a lot of the stuff that just wasn't getting used like Extinction and Herofall and added some new stuff. I put in some Crimson Clarities for extra ramp, as well as Call to the Grave which fixes one of the decks issues, namely having your Hand of the Black Crucible discarded due to Crazed Rummaging and then having to dig through the deck looking for a another. I also added the Brides back in although they really don't do that much, the deck is really about the Black Crucible. I also added Casualty of War, just in case you need early removal to buy time.

      Also, I realized my equipment was not showing up before and I fixed that. One piece of equipment that is actually surprisingly good, are the sandals for Gain Ground. That allows you to choose your discard, so you can either use it discard an action and it becomes a pay 2 to draw 4 or you can discard a resource and make it a free draw 2.

      Here is a link to what I was testing last night : Thonia of the Black Crucible

      I think Coach is right, we're getting close to optimal on this deck