Limit Break - Taste the Painbow

• Spit wrote:

Yup, it's a video. You're supposed to watch it, not read it.
      And I won't. I'll watch a video if it also has text accompanying it, but a video on its own is a HORRIBLE reference material since you either have to make text notes to get use out of it(ie. the text that should've accompanied it to begin with), or rewatch the entire thing enough times to memorize.

It's inefficient. Videos with text accompaniment are great, because then you have the video for the succinct version and the text for the complete version... but videos on their own make very bad reference material in general.
      Gamer. Streamer. Photographer. Writer. Anime Lover. Possessor of Stuffed Animals.

Also... I'm terrible at this game.
    • Eraia wrote:

Spit wrote:

Yup, it's a video. You're supposed to watch it, not read it.
      And I won't. I'll watch a video if it also has text accompanying it, but a video on its own is a HORRIBLE reference material since you either have to make text notes to get use out of it(ie. the text that should've accompanied it to begin with), or rewatch the entire thing enough times to memorize.
      It's inefficient. Videos with text accompaniment are great, because then you have the video for the succinct version and the text for the complete version... but videos on their own make very bad reference material in general.
      or there is something very usefull we called "memory"
    • Gregangel wrote:

or there is something very usefull we called "memory"
      "rewatch enough times to memorize" covers the 'memory' aspect.

Most people cannot retain 6 minutes of information on their first viewing of it. That's why studying, repetition, notes, and other concepts are so valuable.

But thanks for trying to turn it into an insult ;)
      Gamer. Streamer. Photographer. Writer. Anime Lover. Possessor of Stuffed Animals.

• 6 min video is a very usefull format to memory stuff in fact. Beside it is well explained by neo in a very formating way and he enlights cards you are supposed to see over and over on a almost daily basis. I watched it only one time and I am able to list absolutly all the cards he talk about as I think every regular player even you (and there is no insult here neither) despite saying the contrary.

So really I think making all that an principle-based argument is being in a very particular state of mind.
    • Gregangel wrote:

6 min video is a very usefull format to memory stuff in fact. Beside it is well explained by neo in a very formating way and he enlights cards you are supposed to see over and over on a almost daily basis. I watched it only one time and I am able to list absolutly all the cards he talk about as I think every regular player even you (and there is no insult here neither) despite saying the contrary.

So really I think making all that an principle-based argument is being in a very particular state of mind.
      I think you're an exception here. First of all, only a very small portion of the population are pure visual learners - ie. able to learn by simply watching something. Another small(slightly larger but still small last I checked) segment are auditory learners. Which means that most people will not have the same experience as you, regardless of his skill, simply due to their learning preference.

Secondly, you are in the EXTREME minority of this game when it comes to familiarity with its cards, as you are a very adept player who not only plays a lot but also pays attention to stats/etc... this means there is less info for you to retain, since you are already aware of the basics of what he's saying and have extreme familiarity with all of the cards he's referencing overall. This increases your likelihood to retain the specific information he's giving as you don't ALSO have to commit the other stuff at the same time.

Thirdly, having no self-paced component reduces retention further, since the majority of people respond well to experiences where they are able to commit it at their own pace. Most learning tools use un-timed exercises OR self-guided written works to achieve this 'self-paced' component. An article explaining the highlights and going into greater detail would also serve this point since people can read the article at their own pace. If this article also contained links that redirected the video attached to the relevant component, that'd be even MORE effective(yet also more difficult to write/code).

• Came to comment on the 'underdrafted' part, guess things change quick when you have threads like this popping up. Been trying to force this archetype for the past 3-5 drafts and everyone else was too. I believe at least half the pod ends up with bad decks and they guy picking up D/S flyers wins.

Eraia wrote:

But thanks for trying to turn it into an insult
      Your very first comment is an insult to both the creator and the company. I know you like to arguing about the game more than you like actually playing it, but this level of negativity is unusual even for you.
    • I'm going to nip this in the bud. Let's agree to disagree and move this back towards the topic of Neo's sweet vid.

People like different things. That is why we work to provide all sorts of content (articles, videos, yodeling!). If you aren't an auditory learner, we have plenty of articles for you. If you aren't up for reading a wall of text, then Neo's vids are a breath of fresh air.

Dunzors

*Drops mic*
    • Dinotropia wrote:

I'm going to nip this in the bud. Let's agree to disagree and move this back towards the topic of Neo's sweet vid.

People like different things. That is why we work to provide all sorts of content (articles, videos, yodeling!). If you aren't an auditory learner, we have plenty of articles for you. If you aren't up for reading a wall of text, then Neo's vids are a breath of fresh air.

Dunzors

*Drops mic*
      My problem is that you guys tend to most often go with the 'either or' approach(not always, there are some articles that feature both which are awesome)... when combining the two works so much better since it allows it to reach nearly all audiences in stead of one or the other. A video with a companion piece means that the piece caters to more than one group of people. The people who don't want to read get a video, the people who do get an article, and the people who appreciate both get both. It just creates a much more complete work overall, as opposed to creating a piece that is excluding one group or the other.

And I hope that that is polite enough feedback that nobody takes offense to it.

• Eraia wrote:

Dinotropia wrote:

I'm going to nip this in the bud. Let's agree to disagree and move this back towards the topic of Neo's sweet vid.

Dunzors

*Drops mic*
      My problem is that you guys tend to most often go with the 'either or' approach(not always, there are some articles that feature both which are awesome)... when combining the two works so much better since it allows it to reach nearly all audiences in stead of one or the other. A video with a companion piece means that the piece caters to more than one group of people. The people who don't want to read get a video, the people who do get an article, and the people who appreciate both get both. It just creates a much more complete work overall, as opposed to creating a piece that is excluding one group or the other.
      And I hope that that is polite enough feedback that nobody takes offense to it.
      No offense but by ure logic they should have a video for every article that is written as well then.
      I like videos, so why do I have to read my friday update, the lore updates etc? /s

Sometimes I really do not get the community. The community receives a great contribution from Neo who put quite a lot of work in it. But instead of appreciating that he and HEX is providing content people always find something to complain. As Dinotropia said people like different things. If people dislike watching the video than they should just skip the article... (which is btw just one article every now and then)
    • arub wrote:

Eraia wrote:

Dinotropia wrote:

Dunzors

*Drops mic*
      My problem is that you guys tend to most often go with the 'either or' approach(not always, there are some articles that feature both which are awesome)... when combining the two works so much better since it allows it to reach nearly all audiences in stead of one or the other. A video with a companion piece means that the piece caters to more than one group of people. The people who don't want to read get a video, the people who do get an article, and the people who appreciate both get both. It just creates a much more complete work overall, as opposed to creating a piece that is excluding one group or the other.And I hope that that is polite enough feedback that nobody takes offense to it.
      No offense but by ure logic they should have a video for every article that is written as well then.I like videos, so why do I have to read my friday update, the lore updates etc? /s

Sometimes I really do not get the community. The community receives a great contribution from Neo who put quite a lot of work in it. But instead of appreciating that he and HEX is providing content people always find something to complain. As Dinotropia said people like different things. If people dislike watching the video than they should just skip the article... (which is btw just one article every now and then)
      Not necessarily, it is important to recognize that article and video are simply not suited to certain things. For example, if they were to post footage of the CCS, an article would not suit dissertation on that footage, since it would simply not do it justice(and it would be extremely wordy and still not provide the same value). While a video is not suited to the lore updates, unless they're putting a ton of resources into it which is probably not going to happen for a long time... or the rules updates, since a lot of the rules updates would make extremely dry videos.

However, an educational piece is EXTREMELY suited to written form, and would be ideal - as most online schools have learned - delivered in multiple formats.

If you want to go down the 'just skip this piece' rabbit hole, point me to the limited-focused educational content that Hex provides that isn't just video. Jeff Hoogland did two articles back mid-s6. That's it, that I've been able to find. The rest of it has been video only... so for someone primarily interested in limited, the majority of the content is being produced in a format that is not only inefficient for learning from in general, but also useless to me personally. I would greatly like to learn the information, as Neo is a very skilled limited player and I think there's a lot I could learn, yet there's no means for me to do so since the content is in the format it is.