FRA 2.0 Review - Initial Thoughts

• ShinGuard wrote:

So, back to the existential question, if you have a deck that runs reasonably well, do you dilute it's overall effectiveness to beat certain encounters? I've got a deck that plays pretty well, but can't beat Hoggarth because he negates my Champion Ability (target action with cost 2 or less...) and all his troops are difficult to remove. Fissuresmith would probably solve most of my problems, but would reduce the number of actions in the deck making my Skarns and Reactor Bots less effective everywhere else.

Take the near autoloss vs. Hoggarth or take random losses everywhere else because of inefficiency?
      For dealing with Hogarth only, probably not, but a general defence option against Elites and constants like Morphology is probably worth considering. Currently the key decision against Hogarth has to do with Spirit of Retribution, while the other decision is about the number of constants to run against Botanist.
      "Winning with terrormill is not fun? Try losing with it"
    • Can I beat regular Hogarth? No, not without an RNG miracle. Yes, it's beatable, but let's be real. If you could play Hogarth as Champion with his deck you'd probably go 100-0 through 5 consecutive runs. The encounter is pretty ridiculous on regular, and just stupid on elite.

Fortunately, even regular Hogarth isn't super common, maybe 1 out of 3-4 runs.

I probably could play Morphology or even the 5 damage nuke with cost -3 if you played an action already. They won't stop the atomic frost horse unless I topdeck them though.

The post was edited 2 times, last by ShinGuard ().

• ShinGuard wrote:

So, back to the existential question, if you have a deck that runs reasonably well, do you dilute it's overall effectiveness to beat certain encounters? I've got a deck that plays pretty well, but can't beat Hoggarth because he negates my Champion Ability (target action with cost 2 or less...) and all his troops are difficult to remove. Fissuresmith would probably solve most of my problems, but would reduce the number of actions in the deck making my Skarns and Reactor Bots less effective everywhere else.

Take the near autoloss vs. Hoggarth or take random losses everywhere else because of inefficiency?
      I'd run Sabretooths (or are they Sabreteeth?) over Fissuresmiths in this case. They just feel less clunky, are more useful in lategame, and can hit flight units. Sure, the damage factor and absence of an immediate body are limiting in some fights, but against the field they are the stronger choice overall.

That being said, I think that you absolutely shouldn't care about Hogarth Elite as long as your deck is cohesive enough to fight everything else (the normal version of Hogarth included). I stopped using Spirits in off-diamond decks a long time ago and never regretted it since. Sure, sometimes my decks just lose in situations where well-placed Spirit of Retributions would save my bacon, but for me playing a themed deck is well worth the risk of an occasional loss (not to mention that Spirits are the most likely candidate for the next nerf).

Also, pop Acorns. Stuff saves lives.
      Joke is a very serious thing.
    • ShinGuard wrote:

Can I beat regular Hogarth? No, not without an RNG miracle. Yes, it's beatable, but let's be real. If you could play Hogarth as Champion with his deck you'd probably go 100-0 through 5 consecutive runs. The encounter is pretty ridiculous on regular, and just stupid on elite.

I probably could play Morphology or even the 5 damage nuke with cost -3 if you played an action already. They won't stop the atomic frost horse unless I topdeck them though.
      If the matchup is that bad, you probably should make a tweak. Losing three straight to a boss is the most frustrating way to end a run.

Without seeing your deck list I'm just speculating, but have you tried Cyclone Shaper? You obviously don't want to Empower it against Hogarth, but that -1 cost could get your deck running again.
    • ShinGuard wrote:

Can I beat regular Hogarth? No, not without an RNG miracle. Yes, it's beatable, but let's be real. If you could play Hogarth as Champion with his deck you'd probably go 100-0 through 5 consecutive runs. The encounter is pretty ridiculous on regular, and just stupid on elite.

Many more runs later, I will definitely keep Morphology to remove the constant or the rage/empress unit if need be. The key is making T2/T3/T4 count as much as possible. As for the horse, it does not penalize tapped actions and newly drawn cards, so having Fever/Cult in play and keeping Eagle in hand is what I will do for terrormill.

Also, I have revised my standard of "viable" to only include decks that can clear the arena consistently (perfects not needed), because non-completion leads to a huge hit in rewards.
      "Winning with terrormill is not fun? Try losing with it"