Pinned Frost Ring Arena - Deck Tier List

• This thread is great, combining several previous brews and my newly acquired Proffesor Sporzins, I have created Shroomkin Apocalypse:
      hex.tcgbrowser.com/#!/deck=246419

Got a perfect run with the deck first try and never felt more in control with anything else (even mill), although deck is little slow. Freaky Fungus are completely insane and just turn around games once you play them (not to mention when you get them all the deathcries). You can cut the Sporzin and replace it with another sacrifice outlet to make deck more budget friendly, it won't make that much difference.
    • KozHex wrote:

Also, @NicoSharp, be sure to post your ripplewood deck when you can, I just started experimenting with it and I've found it to be really good and I can see it featuring in a lot of decks, especially in Sekki to replay those Oni's and clear the board
      Hey Koz, I'm further refining two more decks with The Ruin of Ripplewood, the card is extremely good. You can find my first variation under Fomie's Tier A Mim's list. Oh, I also recorded this:
    • All:
      I am making some small modifications to the rating system. I feel like turn 4 is a little too arbitrary a benchmark for "Consistency". Let's just say 4-6 90% of the time is a better measure. It essentially captures speed, and consistency in game plan, with a concise build developing. Anything slower will have noticeable challenges over time, with encounters that ramp too quickly, or would be too functionally slow to pilot.

Everything else is roughly the same, with some language clean-up for Specialization as well.
      Let me know how you would adjust rating for Consistency, and I will update. I'll also go through and add the lists shared soon.
      I tested Artifaction's list, and agree with Ace - It's not all S Tier. It was fun, but I didn't even finish my run, so I'll have to make some judgement calls on lists until there is more backing. Especially if the list is seemingly floating to the top of the Tier list. Please err on the side of undervaluing your lists.
    • If a deck can win by turn 4 or earlier, consistently, great!
      If a strong deck, takes 2 more turns to progress their strategy, but still wins consistently by turn 6, I feel like that is just as good.

The benchmark is consistency, more so than it is speed. Also, some combo decks that have early win timers, take far longer to play, than a 6 turn ramp and win deck.

That was all I am trying to answer with the slight adjustment to the Consistency benchmark. Focus on how successful it is at winning by turn X, XX% of the time. Giving a bit more weight to XX% of the time.
    • I don't understand your whole benchmark system. Shouldn't the best decks (consistency, affordability, etc..) be the metric for every other decks? I never got to look at your benchmark before, but looking at it now I feel it's not very good. I would go with something like the best consistent deck, the best cheapest deck, and the best clearing (specialization, hogarth). This way we can start with something and if someone post something better then that becomes what to strive for. Right now you're just placing ranks on decks that don't really mean much. What is one SSAB to another SABS?
    • Exactly. Without something objective to measure to, trying to catch a subjectively good deck is impossible. It also caters more to players that want to build something unique, that they would like to play, that doesn't have to be weight against a deck deemed better. Allows players to make their own judgement calls on what they want to work towards, try.
    • This is the Ruin of Ripplewood deck, running First of the Host that I've been working on for a while. I hope you guys enjoy it:
      hex.tcgbrowser.com/#!/deck=246905

C = A (Not always turn 6, but quite often can get there. There are generally 3 fly by turns until we get our card draw going to the point we can combo)
      A = S (Maybe A after equipment for Oni Trickster)
      S = S
      H = ? (unknown for elite, but if I had to guess, I'd say S or A - Trickster is very solid, but low shard base could make Mulligan important)

Combo is essentially - Mad Aradam, Ruin of Ripplewood created Chaostouched, or Trickster with Cloudwalk on them, to cheat a First of the Host in the play. Or back-up plan, of Paradigm Shifting AI troop that they will replay. Lot of little synergies with Ruin of Ripplewood self-bounce, including replaying tricksters, and Cerebral Jack-hat.

The post was edited 1 time, last by NicoSharp ().

• Share it when you can. I tried for quite some time to get a papa goot constant list tuned to the point that first of the host was worth playing, but found the entire list a bit underwhelming. I went through 4 iterations of a "First of Host" list, until I landed on one that worked well (the above), and tweaked it to a place where I feel it's very good.
    • Sethanon wrote:

Yesterday I have tried my most favourite deck in new FA. It was first deck ever on tcgbrowser to use Optimatron, it also has Regie and you I'm really happy it can still clean new FA (I got just one loss yesterday and it was due to misplay). You can see the beauty here:

hex.tcgbrowser.com/#!/deck=35005

I have to share achievement here - I had a Turn 2 kill against Hogarth Elite with the deck (popped Acorn + Reginald, he drew it on his draw), the deck does not go perfect often because rng can sometimes screw you (it clears almost always though), but sometimes when it goes off, it shines like a star ;)
    • If you've been missing your Slaughtergears, try out the Empress of Slaughter deck: hex.tcgbrowser.com/#!/deck=250067.

This deck is a Sapphire Threshold matters deck, with Slaughtergear's Guardian, Slaughergear's Replicator, Empress of Ice, Copycat, and Peek all benefiting from Sapphire Threshold. Sorcerous Sculpting is the only card in the entire deck that doesn't give or especially like Sapphire Threshold.

Most common victory condition: Have at least two Replicators out by turn 4, win with them by turn 5. Hordes of Guardians work almost as well when backed up with an Empress or two to get them through more quickly. If you can't win quickly, a soft Empress lock can buy you the time to win slowly.

Note when playing against Botanist: Copycat is your key card. My first encounter with the Botanist I won with two huge Hierophants making hordes of Dreadlings. My second I won with the more traditional Replicators. Both were only possible because of Copycat (use it to revert the enemy's troops while copying them or to revert your Dreadlings back into their original form).

Fun trick that's basically never necessary: Use Copycat on a replicated troop to revert it (and remove its sac at end of turn text). Put Copycat back in your hand for two resources and you won't have to sacrifice the Copycat (I've literally never had to do this, since having a Replicator and Copycat has always meant I was winning that turn anyway, but if I did need to keep the Copycat, I could).

Not sure if it's a bug: Copies of Slaughtergear troops benefit doubly from the Slaughtergear equipment buffs. Copies of copies benefit triply, and so on. This means that when you use the above trick, the Copycat attacks for more damage than the replica would have done.

Consistency: Probably not quite S, but close. I was only paying attention to the turn I won by in my last two runs, and in the first run only one game (the last one) went past turn 6, while in the second I think three games did. I think it wins by turn 6 about 80-85% of the time, and it usually has the game well in hand with an Empress soft lock when it doesn't.
      Affordability: Maybe better than before the nerf? TCGBrowser lists it as $75 (A rating), however accurate that is.
      Specialization: Seems S to me with 8 successful runs through the Arena, but perhaps there are more elites that pose problems?
      Hogarth (Elite): Not sure. 1/2 in actual matchups, but I think I misplayed the first game (he stole one of my Slaughtergears and slaughtered me with it; it was only my second time facing Hogarth and I didn't realize that was a possible play for him...). Spectral Acorns are especially effective since they make it doubly easy to play Slaughtergear troops. In matchups against regular version 4/4 with only one Acorn cracked.

Screenshots to come when I have more time...
      "A storm of madness approaches these shores; let us meet it with a tempest of our own."
    • Stormshard wrote:

If you've been missing your Slaughtergears, try out the Empress of Slaughter deck: hex.tcgbrowser.com/#!/deck=250067.

This deck is a Sapphire Threshold matters deck, with Slaughtergear's Guardian, Slaughergear's Replicator, Empress of Ice, Copycat, and Peek all benefiting from Sapphire Threshold. Sorcerous Sculpting is the only card in the entire deck that doesn't give or especially like Sapphire Threshold.

Most common victory condition: Have at least two Replicators out by turn 4, win with them by turn 5. Hordes of Guardians work almost as well when backed up with an Empress or two to get them through more quickly. If you can't win quickly, a soft Empress lock can buy you the time to win slowly.

Note when playing against Botanist: Copycat is your key card. My first encounter with the Botanist I won with two huge Hierophants making hordes of Dreadlings. My second I won with the more traditional Replicators. Both were only possible because of Copycat (use it to revert the enemy's troops while copying them or to revert your Dreadlings back into their original form).

Fun trick that's basically never necessary: Use Copycat on a replicated troop to revert it (and remove its sac at end of turn text). Put Copycat back in your hand for two resources and you won't have to sacrifice the Copycat (I've literally never had to do this, since having a Replicator and Copycat has always meant I was winning that turn anyway, but if I did need to keep the Copycat, I could).

Not sure if it's a bug: Copies of Slaughtergear troops benefit doubly from the Slaughtergear equipment buffs. Copies of copies benefit triply, and so on. This means that when you use the above trick, the Copycat attacks for more damage than the replica would have done.

Consistency: Probably not quite S, but close. I was only paying attention to the turn I won by in my last two runs, and in the first run only one game (the last one) went past turn 6, while in the second I think three games did. I think it wins by turn 6 about 80-85% of the time, and it usually has the game well in hand with an Empress soft lock when it doesn't.
      Affordability: Maybe better than before the nerf? TCGBrowser lists it as $75 (A rating), however accurate that is.
      Specialization: Seems S to me with 8 successful runs through the Arena, but perhaps there are more elites that pose problems?
      Hogarth (Elite): Not sure. 1/2 in actual matchups, but I think I misplayed the first game (he stole one of my Slaughtergears and slaughtered me with it; it was only my second time facing Hogarth and I didn't realize that was a possible play for him...). Spectral Acorns are especially effective since they make it doubly easy to play Slaughtergear troops. In matchups against regular version 4/4 with only one Acorn cracked.

Screenshots to come when I have more time...
      Can confirm this archetype is viable. I use a similar deck (though I don't have empress) I've been basically playing this list with The Ruin of Ripplewood in the place of Empress. 9/10 would play again.
    • Llauron wrote:

NicoSharp wrote:

This is the Ruin of Ripplewood deck, running First of the Host that I've been working on for a while. I hope you guys enjoy it:
      hex.tcgbrowser.com/#!/deck=246905
      I like this deck a lot but I struggle against Hogarth with this one.
      I've been playing the deck for the past few days and haven't had issue with Hogarth. Just need to save trickster for Hogarth's turn 5 and keep ripplewood in your opening hand in case of early pressure. I didn't have 4 storm colossus so I swapped them for chronodaemons since they have some avatar synergy with first of the hosts and angels.