Battlegrounds and Ladder Update

• This paragraph is repeated twice:

Update wrote:

To compound the issue, we wanted to provide a change that works for both Limited and Constructed. Currently, the Limited ladder doesn’t pair you against someone based upon an external rating. Instead, we pair you based on your record within the gauntlet you’re currently running. This is important because each Limited tournament has numerous variables that make it difficult to smoothly integrate an external rating system. Each Limited tournament is different, and the decks you play may vary greatly in power from one gauntlet to the next. Furthermore, players play limited for all sorts of different reasons. Some are looking to just get into the game for the first time, others are looking to build their collection in a fun way. Some play to qualify for the Cosmic Crown Showdown (CCS), while other’s play for the fun of it. We needed to have our systems accommodate an exceptionally wide range of desires and personalities.
      Hopefully this will help to somewhat mitigate the phenomenon of cosmics meat-grindering EVO players, but the predominant problem is still just plain needing a larger base of participants in the first place. Still, these seem like pretty positive changes on the whole even if I don't personally enjoy the current setup of the formats.
    • Very hard to follow

Hey all! Corey Burkhart here with some updates to matchmaking and how ladder ranking functions in the battlegrounds. These updates will go into effect with the release of Frostheart,

Again, this change is not coming out with Frostheart’s release, but will be in a patch shortly thereafter.
    • Awesome. Love the changes. The article seems to indicate that those changes to the K-value will only affect Cosmic rating, is that correct? So once in Cosmic, different queues will have different value in terms of ranking, but for the initial grind from silver to Cosmic at the start of a season, Evo Sealed remains the best way to collect stars. Will the "Star value" get changed also for the limited queues?
    • Portensio wrote:

Very hard to follow

Hey all! Corey Burkhart here with some updates to matchmaking and how ladder ranking functions in the battlegrounds. These updates will go into effect with the release of Frostheart,

Again, this change is not coming out with Frostheart’s release, but will be in a patch shortly thereafter.
      Good call Portensio, this is my fault sorry.

We were testing this internally, and wanted to correct a few more visuals and transitions before it went out. We don't want to put out a product that is 95% complete, thus we pulled back on it.

I should have clarified this in the beginning sentence saying "Most of these updates will go into effect with the release of Frostheart (The exception to this, is the sealed gauntlet change will come with a patch shortly thereafter.)" This is my fault when we finalized all of the content going out with Frostheart, I didn't correct this piece of the article going up and it can be confusing.

For clarity,

Frostheart will implement changes to the K-Values of Tournaments for Draft Gauntlet only.
      With the release of the next patch, the K-Value of Sealed Gauntlet will also be increased and changed from best of 1 game matches to best of 3 game matches.

This is on me not double checking all of the work and what was written in this article, but I hope that clears this up! Thank you for pointing this out!
    • Fred wrote:

Awesome. Love the changes. The article seems to indicate that those changes to the K-value will only affect Cosmic rating, is that correct? So once in Cosmic, different queues will have different value in terms of ranking, but for the initial grind from silver to Cosmic at the start of a season, Evo Sealed remains the best way to collect stars. Will the "Star value" get changed also for the limited queues?
      My understanding of the ladder system is that your ELO rating is still being adjusted while you climb the star ranks to Cosmic, and affects your placement into the Cosmic ladder. So if you 're going for top 64, then you want to be drafting all the way up, but if you're only chasing Cosmic to get the sleeve, Evo is fine.
    • Good change.

Doesnt really address the concerns I have with the leaderboards but a good change.

We just discussed at our discord and are a little confused.
      What exactly gets changed now?

Is it just that we have different k-values for different limited queues and sealed being bo3?

Or is it also a change of the matchmaking algorithm and a change regarding decay?

@HEXPureforce for reference also look here:
      Strange rank volatility in constructed the past 3 days?
      (also check your pms ;) )
    • Vroengard wrote:

Gregangel wrote:

Swiss limited tourney count for Cosmic Elo and stars.
      Are you sure-sure? Because I thought only Draft, EVO and Sealed count for Limited ladder since they have the cyan insignia on the side.

I climbed to cosmic in limited ladder during a Clash this season. So for the star I am 100% sure.
      For the elo, I see several time my rank change quite a bit between before and after a swiss tourney but there is a little possibility it was because others players move. So I would say sure at 95% for elo