The Disincentive To Play Ranked Constructed Matches

• The Disincentive To Play Ranked Constructed Matches

I like Hex a lot, but one format I remain particularly frustrated with is Constructed, and trying to climb the ladder to any height at all.

Here's the situation:
      • I rarely purchase cards on the AH house, because part of the fun of the game for me is acquiring cards. My money goes to drafting, which is how I increase my collection. I realize this gives me an uphill battle to players who purchase full sets of all the best rares and legendaries, and I'm okay with that, EXCEPT...
      • I'm starting at the ground level, copper 5, and trying to figure out a deck that works well enough to climb the ladder. Against other copper level players, I do decently. Against higher ranks, they've already honed their deck enough to climb at least somewhat up the ladder.
      • Most of the time when I try ranked constructed I'm quickly tossed up against players of significantly higher rank, who quickly remove any stars I accumulate.
      The end result is that I sit at Copper 5, and never get more than a few stars higher than that. Eventually I'll probably hone a deck that's good enough to place me somewhere higher up in the ladder, but there's no chance of a learning curve where I can evolve a deck as I'm climbing the ladder. I either get it right or remain at the bottom. Which is probably why there aren't any other copper players to play against, either. Most people don't want to play a format where there's little chance of progression, and no reward for otherwise playing the format - also why I'll not spend time in unranked constructed, when I could play PVE instead.

My suggestion is that the number of stars accumulated and lost should partially depend on the difference in rank between the players. I wouldn't mind going up against gold and platinum players if I didn't feel like it was a sure sign that I was going to get penalized for the forthcoming beatdown I'm likely to receive.
    • Abhorsen wrote:

I either get it right or remain at the bottom. Which is probably why there aren't any other copper players to play against, either. Most people don't want to play a format where there's little chance of progression, and no reward for otherwise playing the format
      The catch here is this : you are playing a TCG. You will not find lots of players at low rank of a ladder because of that. Why? Because in a TCG you can build a competitive deck right away. The feeling of progression is close to 0 in a TCG where players can buy a good deck right away.

You really can not expect to play the game the same way you would play it in a f2p CCG. it is plain and simple impossible to get the same felling of progression. TCG is very very quickly very competitive.

It's a equation absolutly impossible to solve for the devs
    • Abhorsen wrote:

I like Hex a lot, but one format I remain particularly frustrated with is Constructed, and trying to climb the ladder to any height at all.

Here's the situation:
      • I rarely purchase cards on the AH house, because part of the fun of the game for me is acquiring cards. My money goes to drafting, which is how I increase my collection. I realize this gives me an uphill battle to players who purchase full sets of all the best rares and legendaries, and I'm okay with that, EXCEPT...
      • I'm starting at the ground level, copper 5, and trying to figure out a deck that works well enough to climb the ladder. Against other copper level players, I do decently. Against higher ranks, they've already honed their deck enough to climb at least somewhat up the ladder.
      • Most of the time when I try ranked constructed I'm quickly tossed up against players of significantly higher rank, who quickly remove any stars I accumulate.
      The end result is that I sit at Copper 5, and never get more than a few stars higher than that. Eventually I'll probably hone a deck that's good enough to place me somewhere higher up in the ladder, but there's no chance of a learning curve where I can evolve a deck as I'm climbing the ladder. I either get it right or remain at the bottom. Which is probably why there aren't any other copper players to play against, either. Most people don't want to play a format where there's little chance of progression, and no reward for otherwise playing the format - also why I'll not spend time in unranked constructed, when I could play PVE instead.

My suggestion is that the number of stars accumulated and lost should partially depend on the difference in rank between the players. I wouldn't mind going up against gold and platinum players if I didn't feel like it was a sure sign that I was going to get penalized for the forthcoming beatdown I'm likely to receive.
      You are right. Hex's on boarding is bad. No causal space. Brick walls all over the place for new players to run into. I hope Cory's future announcement is a major move in this direction.
    • TCGosu wrote:

First things first, they absolutely need to set the matchmaking parameter so that a cosmic player cannot be matched against anyone who is gold or under.
      that would decrease some feel bad moment... for the cosmic player.

But even platinum and gold players, most of them, pilot tier 1 decks. So...

Beside come a point in the season, when all regular player are in cosmic. It would make lower rank difficult to find matches