Friday Update - Making Change

• Wow, really impressed at those balance changes.

I think adjusting the champions is the best way they could have gone around this. It is a sad day for Lysander because I though that champion was good without being broken in either limited or constructed, but I don't have all the data they do. Really looking forward to trying Takahiro and Blue Sparrow decks, those champions looks a lot stronger now.

I am very happy they went and tested the Dread Transport deck and saw it was "too broken." I personally would have rather had it cost 3 and left the combo open, but I guess there is still Hideous Conversion in immortal. I think everyone knew ruby's favor was really strong, I don't mind seeing it nerfed, but I wish Hex continues pushing the power envelope on modal cards in the future. Maybe we won't have Angus dominated set 6 constructed formats after all.
    • Drop us some bomb from time to time!

First of all: I'm totally ok with changing champions to balance the meta. I bet some will argue that indirectly it will harm the value of some cards, but with rotation and this, there's plenty of room to explore new deck ideas.

Second, as for the nerf: totally agree with Ruby's Favor new cost. Is still a VERY strong card, but not so pushed. Will see a lot of constructed play, but now I don't feel it's just way too much. As for the Dread Transport, a part of me thinks that a cheap pvp combo deck was a good thing. But if you guys wants to stand out for infinite combos, it's a design decision that I respect and have no problems at all. One thing amuses me.... How can no-one have seen that you could reduce by 2 the cost of that card so easily?! Is what everyone thought when it was spoiled! I thought that actually it was intentional design. It's not a criticism, these things can happen... glad you acted on it if it was an error then :)

Last: Very well reasoned article for introducing major changes to the game. And it's also great that you acknowledge that some things weren't running as you thought it would be. It's been a strange (but great!) week for Hex and I'm very happy to see all these changes. Future looks awesome and I'm really hyped to mess around with set 6, Immortal, etc... What a great game you've made :)
      Twitter: @Plotynus
    • Great changes.

For the health of future formats, I wonder if Hex would be willing to start making changes like these halfway through a limited format?

It was pretty obvious that something was awry with Herofall as soon as a month after release, and by 2 months the limited population had dried up pretty severely. The answer for that was apparently to kill the format entirely in Evo and replace it with Flashback, but that didn't help Draft (and Gorn was just as oppressive in Mashback as he was in 5-5-5).
    • Windshaper Kaliban seems pretty unusable to me now. That is an awful lot of time to wait to maybe get a troop that instantly dies. The other changes all seem appropriate, but I didn't feel like Kaliban was oppressive in limited. Bumping him to 6 would at least let you get your 7 drop out a turn early. For every time my opponent has gotten an Uruunaz from that charge power, I've seen a Kraken that insta-dies.

I feel like Blue Sparrow and Takahiro are both really good now. Those are big time card advantage champion powers in limited that were really only prevented by the shard restrictions before. Takahiro in particular seems quite strong with some dreadling generation.
    • Showsni wrote:

I assume the 21 health Gorn in the article is just a mistake, since they didn't mention changing his health total?
      That was an oversight on our part. The 21 health change is intended. Here is what Corey Burkhart has to say:

Corey Burkhart wrote:

In addition, we adjusted Gorn's health total. The aggressively focused champions are usually the ones that we like having lower health totals. This creates a tradeoff for their aggression, the balance being that they are easier to kill themselves. Therefore, in selecting a more aggressively focused champion like Gorn, you should be taking on some risk in gaining a powerful effect like Rage 1. However, Gorn had an average health total of 23 in the format, which was a little bit too high when granting Rage 1. In addition to adjusting his charge cost, we've reduced his health by two.
    • Silvanos wrote:

Windshaper Kaliban seems pretty unusable to me now. That is an awful lot of time to wait to maybe get a troop that instantly dies. The other changes all seem appropriate, but I didn't feel like Kaliban was oppressive in limited. Bumping him to 6 would at least let you get your 7 drop out a turn early. For every time my opponent has gotten an Uruunaz from that charge power, I've seen a Kraken that insta-dies.

I feel like Blue Sparrow and Takahiro are both really good now. Those are big time card advantage champion powers in limited that were really only prevented by the shard restrictions before. Takahiro in particular seems quite strong with some dreadling generation.
      Well, the format changing does mean certain Kaliban hits are now impossible. Cards from Shards of Fate or Shattered Destiny, and grey rarity "token" cards, will no longer be able to be made. That means nearly all the insta die hits are no longer possible in standard.
    • Silvanos wrote:

Windshaper Kaliban seems pretty unusable to me now. That is an awful lot of time to wait to maybe get a troop that instantly dies. The other changes all seem appropriate, but I didn't feel like Kaliban was oppressive in limited. Bumping him to 6 would at least let you get your 7 drop out a turn early. For every time my opponent has gotten an Uruunaz from that charge power, I've seen a Kraken that insta-dies.
      Let's not forget that Kaliban also loses some of his best hits like The Triumvirate. (Uruunaz is also gone in non-Immortal formats) This really feels like overkill for a champion that was already far from being overplayed.
    • Dinotropia wrote:

Showsni wrote:

I assume the 21 health Gorn in the article is just a mistake, since they didn't mention changing his health total?
      That was an oversight on our part. The 21 health change is intended. Here is what Corey Burkhart has to say:

Corey Burkhart wrote:

In addition, we adjusted Gorn's health total. The aggressively focused champions are usually the ones that we like having lower health totals. This creates a tradeoff for their aggression, the balance being that they are easier to kill themselves. Therefore, in selecting a more aggressively focused champion like Gorn, you should be taking on some risk in gaining a powerful effect like Rage 1. However, Gorn had an average health total of 23 in the format, which was a little bit too high when granting Rage 1. In addition to adjusting his charge cost, we've reduced his health by two.

You have just made me so much more excited for set 6 evo than I was before.

I was kind of sad at the return from 'all champions ever' to 'gorn and lysander' that set 6 would mean(not that gorn wasn't STILL overrepresented, but at least there were a few other common ones)... but with these changes, I feel as though was will see a wider variety.

I am a little saddened by the Kaliban change though, as he's not going to be easily playable, but I can live with that if it means Gorn gets brought into line.
      Gamer. Streamer. Photographer. Writer. Anime Lover. Possessor of Stuffed Animals.

Also... I'm terrible at this game.
    • Darn @ Dread Transport. While I commend the change and the testing done, it would be really nice to see it create 3 now, given the overall cost increase, and lack of need to combo. This is especially relevant now that there is an activation cost, and it still sits at basic speed. Players should still feel rewarded for trying this combo at higher resource counts, despite it having an increased cost. Perhaps 3 troops is a bit too strong in limited, on repeat, for all the scrounge effects available to us...