Help with reserves against Tribunal Magistrate as RW

• Help with reserves against Tribunal Magistrate as RW

Playing Ruby-Wild currently. So, basically I seem to have no card that deals with turn 3 Tribunal Magistrate in my main deck or reserves. What should I put in my reserves to deal with it quickly card-for-card?
      This card is obnoxious because if not answered the same turn I die or get locked down almost 99% of the time the next turn.

The post was edited 1 time, last by KotoTheMage ().

• It'd help if you were to specify something a little more specific. Ruby-Wild sockets? Some other kind of aggressive Ruby-Wild deck?

Crocosaurcan kill Tribunal Magistrate and one other troop, though it won't come down until a few turns after the Magistrate under most conditions.

Zygmunt's Game can kill Tribunal Magistrate on an empty board, though that's likely not the scenario you're encountering most of the time.

Lazgar's Vengeance with a little bit of help kills Tribunal Magistrate. Anything from a Shock, to making the Magistrate block beforehand to a prior Scars of War. Requiring help and needing assault triggers isn't the best, though.

Savvas' Evocation deals the 5 damage necessary to kill Tribunal Magistrate, though at a higher cost and with some inconsistency since it's only a burn spell on 1/3rd of your turns.

Polyberry Pouch transforms Tribunal Magistrate into a random 4 drop, which may or may not answer the problem.

Beyond Crocosaur, which may often be too late, these answers either won't get the job done alone or have a random element that hurts their consistency. Your other options are to deal with the spiders and dreadlings that Tribunal Magistrate is pumping with cards like Crackling Magma, though this doesn't deal with the magistrate itself.
    • Steric wrote:

It'd help if you were to specify something a little more specific. Ruby-Wild sockets? Some other kind of aggressive Ruby-Wild deck?

Crocosaurcan kill Tribunal Magistrate and one other troop, though it won't come down until a few turns after the Magistrate under most conditions.

Zygmunt's Game can kill Tribunal Magistrate on an empty board, though that's likely not the scenario you're encountering most of the time.

Lazgar's Vengeance with a little bit of help kills Tribunal Magistrate. Anything from a Shock, to making the Magistrate block beforehand to a prior Scars of War. Requiring help and needing assault triggers isn't the best, though.

Savvas' Evocation deals the 5 damage necessary to kill Tribunal Magistrate, though at a higher cost and with some inconsistency since it's only a burn spell on 1/3rd of your turns.

Polyberry Pouch transforms Tribunal Magistrate into a random 4 drop, which may or may not answer the problem.

Beyond Crocosaur, which may often be too late, these answers either won't get the job done alone or have a random element that hurts their consistency. Your other options are to deal with the spiders and dreadlings that Tribunal Magistrate is pumping with cards like Crackling Magma, though this doesn't deal with the magistrate itself.
      I did ask for turn 3 card specifically because I seem to lose on turn 4 if Magistrate lives.
    • KotoTheMage wrote:

Steric wrote:

It'd help if you were to specify something a little more specific. Ruby-Wild sockets? Some other kind of aggressive Ruby-Wild deck?

I did ask for turn 3 card specifically because I seem to lose on turn 4 if Magistrate lives.
      Well, you won't lose on turn 4 unless the Magistrate is accompanied by vennen and dreadlings. Skittering Cultivator and Warpsteel Shardsworn can be dealt with before turn 4.
    • Steric wrote:

KotoTheMage wrote:

Steric wrote:

Well, you won't lose on turn 4 unless the Magistrate is accompanied by vennen and dreadlings. Skittering Cultivator and Warpsteel Shardsworn can be dealt with before turn 4.
      This - the Magistrate by itself does nothing early on, how does it kill you by turn 4 or lock you down (you mean with Empress?) if there are no dreadling generations?
    • New

I don't know if I'm the only one facing this problem over and over on the ladder (it seems empty right now so i play same people often enough) but if you let Magistrate live then next turn you get copycat on it or several plus shardsworn one turn kill. Happens all the time to me.
      Just now it happened again and I want to describe the situation so you could point out what I'm doing wrong:
      Opp Turn 1: He goes Sapphire Shard, Arcane Focus.
      My Turn 1: I play Ayotochi Coins.

Opp Turn 2: Shard, Skittering Cultivator (1/4).
      My Turn 2: I don't have 4 damage to kill the cultivator right away. Maybe double Cremate would do the trick but I only have one. So, I play Wild Shard and my biggest threat which is Righteous Outlaw and pass without attacking.

Opp Turn 3: Shard, attacks with cultivator, plays Tribunate Magistrate.
      My Turn 3: I don't have 5 damage in hand to kill Magistrate. So, I just attack with the outlaw, he chooses not to block. My Lazgard's Vengeance is at 7 cost. I have 1 Cremate in hand, a shard, Surging Wildfire troop and Pulverazor troop. I play shard.

Opp Turn 4: Shard, Warpsteel Shardsword, Activates dreadlings, Activates Champion charge power, Copycats on Magistrate so each dreadling is now 7/1 and hits me for 28 damage.

So, my problem is that I need to destroy that magistrate before turn 4. What wild or ruby card should I put in reserves for that?

The post was edited 1 time, last by KotoTheMage ().

• New

KotoTheMage wrote:

I don't know if I'm the only one facing this problem over and over on the ladder (it seems empty right now so i play same people often enough) but if you let Magistrate live then next turn you get copycat on it or several plus shardsworn one turn kill. Happens all the time to me.
      Just now it happened again and I want to describe the situation so you could point out what I'm doing wrong:
      Opp Turn 1: He goes Sapphire Shard, Arcane Focus.
      My Turn 1: I play Ayotochi Coins.

Opp Turn 2: Shard, Skittering Cultivator (1/4).
      My Turn 2: I don't have 4 damage to kill the cultivator right away. Maybe double Cremate would do the trick but I only have one. So, I play Wild Shard and my biggest threat which is Righteous Outlaw and pass without attacking.

Opp Turn 3: Shard, attacks with cultivator, plays Tribunate Magistrate.
      My Turn 3: I don't have 5 damage in hand to kill Magistrate. So, I just attack with the outlaw, he chooses not to block. My Lazgard's Vengeance is at 7 cost. I have 1 Cremate in hand, a shard, Surging Wildfire troop and Pulverazor troop. I play shard.

Opp Turn 4: Shard, Warpsteel Shardsword, Activates dreadlings, Activates Champion charge power, Copycats on Magistrate so each dreadling is now 7/1 and hits me for 28 damage.

So, my problem is that I need to destroy that magistrate before turn 4. What wild or ruby card should I put in reserves for that?
      The way you played is fine. The issue seems to be that you want a tier 2 deck to somehow become tier 1 despite the cards not existing.

You are either going to have to accept having a miserable match-up against Empress, or move on to another deck with a better match-up (anything running blood).
    • New

AnomalyCobra wrote:

pyre strike should be able to kill dreadling generator
      If I had Pyre Strike there and killed Skittering Cultivator turn 3 I would still take 12 damage that turn and nothing on board except for a 2 cost troop against their turn 5. I need a really good card to kill Magistrate immediately but it's my understanding it's just designed that way that ruby or wild can't kill sapphire cards cost-for-cost and card-for-card.
    • New

AceBladewing wrote:

Steric wrote:

AnomalyCobra wrote:

im not sure how you are taking 12 damage by killing cultivator turn 3 he hasn't produced any dreadlings yet
      Warpsteel Shardworn makes 2 dreadlings.
      Which will both have less attack due to the cultivator being dead. It looks like they would be 5/1s.
      Warpsteel Shardsworn makes a Depth Crawler, so there are three vennen, including two magistrates, so the dreadlings are 7/1s and hit for 14 damage, so it is correct that it's not 12 damage.
    • New

Steric wrote:

AnomalyCobra wrote:

im not sure how you are taking 12 damage by killing cultivator turn 3 he hasn't produced any dreadlings yet
      but if warpsteel is his turn 2 play he can't have dreadlings turn 3 and play magistrate... so at most taking 2 damage if playing magistrate turn 3 and then you only have to deal with a1/1 dreadling generator

You can't possibly take significant damage turn 3 regardless... turn 4 however they can produce tons of damage and if you haven't dealt with any of their cards by turn 4 you deserve all the damage you are going to eat
    • New

AnomalyCobra wrote:

Steric wrote:

AnomalyCobra wrote:

but if warpsteel is his turn 2 play he can't have dreadlings turn 3 and play magistrate... so at most taking 2 damage if playing magistrate turn 3 and then you only have to deal with a1/1 dreadling generator
      Warpsteel and attacking for 14 is the opponent's turn 4 play. He's on the draw in this scenario. If he spends his 3rd turn Pyre Striking the Cultivator, then he isn't dealing with the Magistrate.