Sing'Lar adjustment

    • Sing'Lar adjustment

      I really like the idea of Sing'lar: The idea of having just a single, super-powered unit to defend yourself with sounds cool. The only problem with Sing'lar is... He's terrible at it.

      His primary passive is that your troop gets Rage:1 and Spellshield if there's no one else on the field. The problem with this is that there's always someone else on the field. Barring weird exceptions like Wormoid Queen or Army of Myth 1/1, your opponent will almost unanimously have a unit out on turn one or two. Trying to pin all your hopes on a 1-shard unit is rarely a good idea, meaning your looking at least round 2 to deploy, so they definitely have someone out by then. To fix that, I would recommend adjusting his primary passive to specify when the player has just one unit out, regardless of the enemy count.

      His ability has its purpose, and fits thematically, so we'll ignore that.

      Then, his second passive ability (Gained after upgrading) takes his theme and throws it out the window: You get +1A/1D for having four differently named troops out at the same time. Note, this doesn't mean if you have a double of units later you lose the bonus. You can literally field an army of Shin'Hare, and so long as you have four different kinds, they all get +1A/1D. While this is powerful, again, it runs completely opposite to the idea of "single monstrous unit". I'd recommend scrapping this one entirely, and replacing it with "At the start of the game, search your deck for four troops. Pick one and put it in to your hand. It get +1A/1D." This would help early 1-shard units have some form of utility, or by making 2-shard units in to legitimate threats.

      Just my ideas though, feel free to post your own thoughts.
      Never shift in to reverse without a backup plan.
    • Fred wrote:

      Not all mercenaries need to be strong or even suitable for general use. We might end up in the future (or there might already be) with a dungeon or an encounter where Singlar will be very good.
      It's not a power issue to me. Sing'lar actually has tremendous utility against "slow to play" opponents like Excavation Bot and Wormoid Queen. It's more the fact that his abilities are self-conflicting, which means he doesn't end up having a "theme" of any kind (Like Birds/Constants for Tealwing, or humans for Augustine).
      Never shift in to reverse without a backup plan.
    • SaintVicarious wrote:

      It's not a power issue to me. Sing'lar actually has tremendous utility against "slow to play" opponents like Excavation Bot and Wormoid Queen. It's more the fact that his abilities are self-conflicting, which means he doesn't end up having a "theme" of any kind (Like Birds/Constants for Tealwing, or humans for Augustine).
      I disagree. Sing'lar's theme is singleton. Having several differently named cards in play is the consequence of singleton. The upgraded passive is simply getting a boost from playing a singleton deck (which you are foced to do anyway). The original passive is just taking the concept of singleton at the extreme, with an early bonus when your troop is the only one in play.

      I agree that his original passive is weak and awkward (what's the point of unblockable if there's no troops to block with?), but I don't agree that Sing'lar doesn't have a theme.
    • Fred wrote:

      SaintVicarious wrote:

      It's not a power issue to me. Sing'lar actually has tremendous utility against "slow to play" opponents like Excavation Bot and Wormoid Queen. It's more the fact that his abilities are self-conflicting, which means he doesn't end up having a "theme" of any kind (Like Birds/Constants for Tealwing, or humans for Augustine).
      I disagree. Sing'lar's theme is singleton. Having several differently named cards in play is the consequence of singleton. The upgraded passive is simply getting a boost from playing a singleton deck (which you are foced to do anyway). The original passive is just taking the concept of singleton at the extreme, with an early bonus when your troop is the only one in play.
      I agree that his original passive is weak and awkward (what's the point of unblockable if there's no troops to block with?), but I don't agree that Sing'lar doesn't have a theme.
      Singleton isn't a theme, it's a deck restriction.

      "Alone" would be a theme, but his upgraded passive fights against that.
    • Transience wrote:

      Sing'lar is fine.

      The upgraded second ability is very powerful and wins most games. No need to change him.

      I also don't see why there is a problem with conflicting abilities? There is a theme, it's single troops.
      It is indeed powerful, I mentioned that as such. Running Shin'Hare or Vennan decks with him can often lend you an army of boosted troops, provided you have a little variety. As I pointed out, that's kinda dull though, given that we already have plenty of Mercs that do "generalized" decks well.

      GryphonGardens wrote:

      I like Sin'glar. His passive is, of course, a trap. His upgraded passive, on the other hand, is fairly powerful.

      The OP suggestion is way too much generous. Guaranteed untargettable Adaptatron with rage would autowin most encounters.
      Perhaps, though Adaptatron would still be one troop on its own. A deck with tons of troops on the board (Shin'Hare/Vennan), Lethal/Swiftstrike, or just a very fast deck (Orcs) could probably still punish him. Or, we could just remove the Spellshield effect, and leave him vulnerable. There's tons of options, but I'd like to see something done for him.

      Fred wrote:

      I disagree. Sing'lar's theme is singleton. Having several differently named cards in play is the consequence of singleton. The upgraded passive is simply getting a boost from playing a singleton deck (which you are foced to do anyway). The original passive is just taking the concept of singleton at the extreme, with an early bonus when your troop is the only one in play.
      I agree that his original passive is weak and awkward (what's the point of unblockable if there's no troops to block with?), but I don't agree that Sing'lar doesn't have a theme.
      Again, if his theme is singles, he is absolutely terrible at his theme. Give him an army, and that secondary passive will turn him in to a monster. Which goes directly against the idea of single troops.

      Sinkhole wrote:

      Really? Cause the theme seems to be terribleness.

      They should start a program to identify people playing him and provide them mentors because they are desperately in need of help.
      Hahaha. Yeah, he's definitely pretty bad if you try to play him "as he should". I have noticed that Shifting decks (Necrotic) and Shin'Hare decks (For the numbers) pair pretty well with him. But it's just super depressing to use. I usually avoid picking him for anything if I can help it.
      Never shift in to reverse without a backup plan.
    • Sinkhole wrote:

      Really? Cause the theme seems to be terribleness.

      They should start a program to identify people playing him and provide them mentors because they are desperately in need of help.
      He's my favorite merc by far. I love his theme, he's not overpowered, yet he's always useful. I run him with a 99 card singleton deck to simulate EDH.
      "Ignorant beliefs are stains upon the mind."
    • SaintVicarious wrote:

      Again, if his theme is singles, he is absolutely terrible at his theme. Give him an army, and that secondary passive will turn him in to a monster. Which goes directly against the idea of single troops.
      That's the whole point of his secondary passive. You give him an army of singles, and he makes them super powerful. Sing'lar gets bored at seeing the same thing over and over again, so he doesn't want to have 4 Rune Ear Hierophants, no matter how powerful they are. He wants a big army of individuals where each member brings its own flavor that is distinct from the rest of the army.
    • Fred wrote:

      SaintVicarious wrote:

      Again, if his theme is singles, he is absolutely terrible at his theme. Give him an army, and that secondary passive will turn him in to a monster. Which goes directly against the idea of single troops.
      That's the whole point of his secondary passive. You give him an army of singles, and he makes them super powerful. Sing'lar gets bored at seeing the same thing over and over again, so he doesn't want to have 4 Rune Ear Hierophants, no matter how powerful they are. He wants a big army of individuals where each member brings its own flavor that is distinct from the rest of the army.
      No, I mean I get that, but having 15 Battle Hoppers, and then three differently named troops besides, doesn't suddenly explain why he's stoked about having 15 Battle Hoppers (They all get +1A/1D as well). Again, I can understand his theme, but he doesn't actually seem to do his theme... At all. Besides that, basically every deck I use has four differently named troops on the field at any time, so even then, he's not special at all even considering that theme.

      Either a forced exclusion mechanic (When you deploy a troop you already have a copy of, destroy it), or focusing on a single trooper (If you possess only one troop, it gets Rage: 1 and [Something other than Spellshield]) would both be more interesting concepts than "play a bunch of different cards". It would also help if his passives weren't mutually exclusive.
      Never shift in to reverse without a backup plan.